Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
E:snip snip

quote:

Mechwarrior: Pilot 5, Gunnery 4
Mechwarrior Name: Private Vernados Zane
Mechwarrior Player: magni
Mechwarrior Status: OK!

You didn't update the mech spreadsheet with me being the pilot now. :eng101:

Slaan fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Apr 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

If the soil gives false positives, so you had to turn the magnetic scan off, there could literally be hidden units in every hex. Be careful.

Also, very excited to see my "Suicide Sled" Hollander in action. If it headcaps anyone I am buying them a red text avatar.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Recommending you all punch north and take out the snipers then head back, they have invited defeat in detail.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I am curiously fond of my dinky little missile boat, but this is a slightly unnerving mission - waiting to see what goes horribly wrong.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

AtomikKrab posted:

Recommending you all punch north and take out the snipers then head back, they have invited defeat in detail.

I agree with this. There is certainly a trap waiting here for you. Do not split your forces under any circumstances. Pick a direction (I suggest away from the Ace), crush that half of the enemy then turn to face the others as they pursue.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
I suggest away from but not exposing your rear armor to the ace. Divide and conquer: Two fights of eight on three should go your way.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Time to go over your opfor!

17th Arcturan Guards

Let's start with the...

A1) Wolfhound WLF-1

pre:
WLF-1

35 tons
Movement: 6/9
Heat Sinks: 10
Internal: 58
Armor: 119/119 

Weapons       Loc    Heat
Large Laser   RA     8
Medium Laser  LT     3
Medium Laser  RT     3
Medium Laser  CT(R)  3
Medium Laser  CT     3
:supaburn:

Ok. So, this is a Wolfhound. It's a fairly recent design, exclusive to the Lyran Commonwealth. It was designed to kill Panthers. Don't get cocky because you aren't a Panther, it will kill you too.

Let's go over its assets. The most obvious are its weapons. 3 medium lasers is a pretty hefty armament for a light, and the large laser gives it some serious punch at range. The rear facing laser is more of an afterthought; you're more likely to get shot at with the large laser if you're in its rear.

Less obvious but almost as important is the armor. It's got great armor for a light, and plenty enough to take a hit or two from anything you're packing. It's also survivable. There's no ammo to explode, no XL engine to destroy by taking out the side torsos. To get rid of this one, you're going to have to get rid of a leg, the CT, or the head.

The WLF is also relatively fast, a bit speedier than the average here.

The WLF-1 is a great mech, but it does have some weaknesses. First are the heat sinks. This guy cannot alpha strike. It will slowly build up heat firing 3 medium lasers and running, but not really enough for you guys to exploit. It also doesn't have jump jets, so it can't really chase your jumpers around.

In summary, the WLF-1 is going to be a tough one to take down, and it's going to hurt you until it is.

A2) COM-2D Commando

pre:
COM-2D

25 tons
Movement: 6/9
Internal: 43
Armor: 64/89 

Weapons      Loc Heat
Medium Laser LA  3
SRM 4        RA  3
SRM 6        CT  4

Ammo       Loc Shots
SRM 6 Ammo LT  15
SRM 4 Ammo RT  25
The Commando is the standard Lyran light mech, and it's actually a pretty nasty little bugger. It has a ton of firepower for a mech its size, 10 SRMs and a Medium Laser. It can do some serious damage, especially if it gets a shot at a mech that's already softened up. Don't let it. It's very frail, with a maximum armor of 8(in the CT and legs.) Make this a priority target if you can. Get it down early before those SRMs can really get to work.

A3) CLNT-2-3T Clint

pre:
CLNT-2-3T
40 tons
Movement: 6/9/6
Internal: 67
Armor: 72/137 

Weapons      Loc Heat
Autocannon/5 RA  1
Medium Laser LT  3
Medium Laser CT  3

Ammo      Loc Shots
AC/5 Ammo RT  20
The Clint's a fast, lighter trooper medium. It's got decent firepower, nothing amazing, but certainly not to be underestimated, and fairly thin armor. What it does have is mobility. 6/9/6 is enough to get it where it needs to be, so expect it to be able to use those weapons to full effect.

A4) BZK-F2 Hollander

pre:
BZK-F2

35 tons
Movement: 4/6
Heat Sinks: 10 (Probably, but if it has a Gauss Rifle, this doesn't matter)
Internal: 58
Armor: ???/119

Weapons
Gauss Rifle. Probably.
I can't really speculate too much on what this is, but I am 90% sure a Gauss Rifle is involved. The canon version is a frail light with only a Gauss Rifle, and this probably has similar capabilities, just slower. Kill this thing. Kill it good and hard and do NOT let it put a bunch of Gauss slugs into you.

Edit: Knox has informed me that the BZK-F2 is the one Defiance Industries Designed. About as I expected. Gauss Rifles are scary.

A5) B0C-13T Bobcat

pre:
B0C-13T

45 tons
Movement: 6/9/6
Heat Sinks: ???
Internal: 75
Armor: ???/153

Weapons:
???
I've got even less information on this guy. He's fast. I'd probably guess he's a close range mech from that movement profile, as that's usually a bit excessive for a fire support mech. We know the Lyrans had an XL engine at Solaris, though we don't know if they're actually in production. The possibilities are pretty broad with this guy, and they're all pretty scary, especially as he's the opfor Ace.

A6) GRF-1S Griffin

pre:
GRF-1S

55 tons
Movement: 5/8/5
Heat Sinks: 16
Internal: 91
Armor: 152/185 

Weapons      Loc Heat
Large Laser  RA  8
Medium Laser RA  3
Medium Laser RA  3
LRM 5        LT  2

Ammo       Loc Shots
LRM 5 Ammo RT  24
The griffin's a big boy medium and a Lyran Favorite for good reason. Decent mobility, with jump jets. The good news is it's not a 1N, so you don't have to deal with a PPC. The bad news is that swapping the PPC for a Large Laser and downgrading the LRM from a 10 to a 5 means more tonnage in heat sinks. The 1S runs a lot cooler than the 1N, and you can expect it to make the most of its mobility, hopping around when it needs to. It can jump around and fire the LRM5 and Large Laser all day without worrying about heat, and it doesn't build up too much even jumping and firing all the lasers. The Griffin is a scary one, but it's going to be hard to kill, and I suggest you get the Hollander dead before you think about chasing the GRF down.

Summary

The opfor are all solid, front line mechs. Unless there's some surprises, this match is probably yours to lose. You've got the edge, but a few mistakes or a run off bad luck could cost you dearly and put you on the back foot. Especially watch out for the Hollander at the start. Even one Gauss Rifle hit could kill or cripple your lighter mechs.

I doubt there's infantry, given the near-toxic terrain, but you never know, and there could be other surprises. Be careful out there MechWarriors.

Felime fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 19, 2012

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
In other words, the match boils down to 'for the love of god, don't get tagged by the Hollander. And if you do, liquidate the Commando before it can critseek you'. I believe that's about right without more info on the Bobcat, isn't it?

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Transient People posted:

In other words, the match boils down to 'for the love of god, don't get tagged by the Hollander. And if you do, liquidate the Commando before it can critseek you'. I believe that's about right without more info on the Bobcat, isn't it?

It basically boils down to 'kill the loving Hollander, then the Commando, then the Clint, then whoever' in terms of targeting priority (biggest threat -> glass cannon -> weakest overall armor -> everyone else).

As for the Bobcat, my theory is that related in design terms to the Lynx. We know it's a 6/9/6 45t machine, so we've basically got two scenarios. First, it's running a standard engine. That means it has between 7 and 12 tons worth of equipment, probably closer to the 8-9 range. My bet at this stage would be 9 tons with a LL and either paired MLs or an SRM2. Second scenario (and the more likely) is an XL engine - which means it's got between 14 and 19 tons of equipment, likely in the 15-16 range. At that point y'all are in deep crap because that thing can be a 6/9/6 PPC with sufficient sinks to run ice cold and have tonnage left over. Either way I would expect an energy-based loadout with at least one heavy hitting long range weapon.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Yeah, considering what most of the players are fielding, a Gauss Rifle hit will at the very least cause a crit and could immediately result in the loss of a section.

To break it down:

Shadow Hawk: All spots can take a hit if they're fresh. Once damaged it's likely going to pen.

Hermes II: Fresh CT only. Everywhere else will be penned.

Hammers: CT only can take it if fresh. Arms are a one-shot removal

Cicada: Hope he doesn't target you.

Hermes: See Cicada

Valkyrie: Maybe he'll miss.

Spider: Your armor is the /8 part of your movement

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Transient People posted:

There're a lot of `Mechs who can really dish out punishment in the OpForce. Pretty much everything but the Clint, but even it's nothing to sneeze at in a game of Lights (since it's the Hermes II, but better armed and with worse armor).

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

LeschNyhan posted:

Other Mechwarriors in this thread: you should have a PM with a link to a google-doc for us to chat about planning. Hopefully it works, and I hope you're not put off by my presumptuousness. PMs didn't work for Sair and Slaan, though, so if there's some way for me to pass on the link, that'd be cool.

Don't forget to make it viewable by all and share the link out this time. Then us upcoming (one day :sigh:) pilots can see what you guys are thinking.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Don't forget to make it viewable by all and share the link out this time. Then us upcoming (one day :sigh:) pilots can see what you guys are thinking.

Military IDs only, citizen.

Now pick up that can. :hitler:

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
For someone who's only played the computer games, why is the Wolfhound so good at taking out Panthers?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Saint Celestine posted:

For someone who's only played the computer games, why is the Wolfhound so good at taking out Panthers?

Faster, better armored, and it has more damage output. It's pretty much designed to exploit everything the Panther's bad at; and the Panther's 4 jumping MP isn't enough to cope.

In other words: It's designed to get right up in the Panther's face where the PPC's less useful and chew it apart with its superior close-range firepower, has the speed to do just that, and even if it loses initiative it can maintain a high enough bonus that it'll still have an easier time shooting the Panther than the Panther has shooting it.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Saint Celestine posted:

Even in the computer game, though, the Wolfhound is a fantastic mech if you can handle heat well.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Saint Celestine posted:

The Panther puts a lot of tonnage into a big gun and jump capacity. The Wolfhound puts the same tonnage into better armour, ground speed and more alpha capability. The Panther isn't bad, but in a straight up fight the Wolfhound is just that bit better.

Sair
May 11, 2007

LeschNyhan posted:

Other Mechwarriors in this thread: you should have a PM with a link to a google-doc for us to chat about planning. Hopefully it works, and I hope you're not put off by my presumptuousness. PMs didn't work for Sair and Slaan, though, so if there's some way for me to pass on the link, that'd be cool.

Hit me up: blammo!

Thanks

Sair fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 19, 2012

Rhobot Mk. II
Jan 15, 2008
Mk. II: Bigger, longer, uncut robo-cock.
Orders are in!

Let's do this :c00l:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I'm feeling strangely generous for this fight so I'm going to offer a little contest.

The prize is $10 of SA gift services for the winner.

The contest is:

When will the first Player Unit die? And in which manner?

If only one person gets the right turn, they will win automatically. If two or more people choose the same turn then the one most accurate with the 'how' answer will be the winner.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
I'm going to say I get taken out first turn by a gauss round to the head. Now either way I'll be happy.

My orders are in as well.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Me, turn 4. LRM ammo explosion. :supaburn:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I suppose that picking the exact unit can be a further tiebreaker.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Turn 4. Gauss Rifle. The Valkyrie.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Taerkar posted:

I'm feeling strangely generous for this fight so I'm going to offer a little contest.

The prize is $10 of SA gift services for the winner.

The contest is:

When will the first Player Unit die? And in which manner?

If only one person gets the right turn, they will win automatically. If two or more people choose the same turn then the one most accurate with the 'how' answer will be the winner.

Gonna go with Hammer 2 (M8) on Turn 3, LRM ammo explosion.

edit:

Slaan posted:

Me, turn 4. LRM ammo explosion. :supaburn:

:getin:

Terrifying Effigies fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 20, 2012

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Turn 5, short-range weaponry (range 9 or less) hitting a armor-stripped location causing fatal damage. Let's go with Spider as the first corpse.

Sair
May 11, 2007

Turn 4, Cicada eats a gauss and disintegrates.

James Peach
Dec 30, 2008
I'll go for the longest shot and say while some might lose some limbs, every mech will survive.

I'm an optimist.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Valkyrie, turn 3, Wolfhound gets it from behind. I'm putting my money on large laser to the leg.

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.
Turn 3, Valkyrie, Gauss headcap.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Turn 6, Hammer gets legged.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Turn 4 Gauss headcap on the Spider.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Turn 3, Cicada gets headcapped

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

Turn 3, Spider is gonna get cored from falling damage.

Rhobot Mk. II
Jan 15, 2008
Mk. II: Bigger, longer, uncut robo-cock.

Sair posted:

Turn 4, Cicada eats a gauss and disintegrates.

ZeeToo posted:

Turn 3, Cicada gets headcapped

Boy are you two going to be disappointed!

I'm probably going out on Turn 2. :smith:

Sair
May 11, 2007

Rhobot Mk. II posted:

Boy are you two going to be disappointed!

I'm probably going out on Turn 2. :smith:

Sadly, glass cannons tend to be targets.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Turn five, Hammer #1, medium laser will register the kill (going to say the Wolfhound.)

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Trast posted:

Turn five, Hammer #1, medium laser will register the kill (going to say the Wolfhound.)

Turn 1, Hammer 1, backshot by the Bobcat :colbert:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

To keep it fair, once the first turn is posted any further predictions must be at least 4 turns after that point so bets can't be placed on 'about to die' units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Congratulations! You Won.
Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

Turn 4: the Shadow Hawk takes a (probably through-armor) critical to an ammo bin and turns into a patriotic fireworks display.

It's not a game of Battletech without at least one ammo explosion, and the SHD has a bin in every torso for the best odds of going up like a Christmas tree.

• Locked thread