Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Taft Punk posted:

Definitely rinse the shirataki noodles, but I would also toast them before adding anything else.

As far as sauces for stir fries.. the sky is the limit. I've had better luck using shirataki noodles in asian-inspired dishes rather than european, so things like sesame oil, soy sauce, ginger and suchlike would probably not go amiss. Although I add garlic to just about everything ever.

Yeah, I heard to rinse them to get rid of the weird fishy scent/flavor some get from them.

I'm just not sure where to start as a base for a sauce. I'm thinking maybe teriyaki chicken or something like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taft Punk
Jan 11, 2011

Fish are the vegetables of the sea.
Yeah, teriyaki chicken could definitely work.

I'd probably fry the noodles for a couple minutes with just a tiny amount of sesame or peanut oil, then add a bunch of soy sauce, a little finely diced ginger, a lot of finely diced garlic (I love garlic to an unhealthy degree) , some chili flakes or chili oil, maybe a touch of sugar or honey or mirin if I wanted to go kinda sweet.

Or some Kikkoman teriyaki sauce type premade along with the chicken. :) But I find improvising sauces fun, so ymmv.

(edit) I am not the foodiest of the food goons here, so the other goons may have better/more sophisticated suggestions. :)

Taft Punk fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 18, 2012

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Turkeybone posted:

the three Cs: crispy (outside), creamy & cold (inside)

So, it's essentially raw inside? I like my beef rare, but I still hope I'm not in over my head :)

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

geetee posted:

So, it's essentially raw inside? I like my beef rare, but I still hope I'm not in over my head :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOWHUi9fdBs&feature=related

Ok I watched (too) many foie gras searing videos, but this one is closest to what I've learned and successfully done in restaurants. I think the size is good, too.. somewhere around 1/2 - 3/4 inches in thickness means you can sear for about 30-50 seconds per side and have it be awesome.

Favela Flav
Dec 24, 2009
I've skimmed this thread a whole lot, and I'm sure this has come up before. What is the best, safe way to defrost a whole chicken? My last attempt, after googling was to do it in the fridge. After 3 days it still wasn't defrosted enough to cook as a roast. I guess part of the problem is until I can fix my real oven, I'm using a kind of turbo oven.. but I have roasted a chook successfully before when cooking from raw (not still frozen in the middle somehow after 3 days).

Also, I have some really kickass italian sausages, only 2 of each though (2 hot and 2 ...mild). Nice high fat content and I can smell a lot of herbs and spices. I'm after the best way to serve them... I can pretty much expect the mild ones to be a bit bland, but what is the best dish to use good italian sausage with? With the mild I'm going to de-skin them and put on a pizza, but the hot stuff, I want to do something a bit special.

Should I cook the hot italian sausage and then add it to a pasta dish, or should I push it out of the skin so it's just sausage meat and cook that up in something else?

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Turkeybone posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOWHUi9fdBs&feature=related

Ok I watched (too) many foie gras searing videos, but this one is closest to what I've learned and successfully done in restaurants. I think the size is good, too.. somewhere around 1/2 - 3/4 inches in thickness means you can sear for about 30-50 seconds per side and have it be awesome.

This looks awesome, thanks! I am pumped for this now :woop:

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.

Favela Flav posted:

I've skimmed this thread a whole lot, and I'm sure this has come up before. What is the best, safe way to defrost a whole chicken? My last attempt, after googling was to do it in the fridge. After 3 days it still wasn't defrosted enough to cook as a roast. I guess part of the problem is until I can fix my real oven, I'm using a kind of turbo oven.. but I have roasted a chook successfully before when cooking from raw (not still frozen in the middle somehow after 3 days).

Empty your sink, put the chicken in the sink and run cool water over it very slowly. This will thaw it quickly and keep it out of the danger zone.

Favela Flav posted:

Also, I have some really kickass italian sausages, only 2 of each though (2 hot and 2 ...mild). Nice high fat content and I can smell a lot of herbs and spices. I'm after the best way to serve them... I can pretty much expect the mild ones to be a bit bland, but what is the best dish to use good italian sausage with? With the mild I'm going to de-skin them and put on a pizza, but the hot stuff, I want to do something a bit special.

Should I cook the hot italian sausage and then add it to a pasta dish, or should I push it out of the skin so it's just sausage meat and cook that up in something else?

Put some water, a quartered onion and some acid (sherry vinegar maybe?) in a pot and bring to a simmer. Add the sausages and cook through. Sear them off on a charcoal grill if you have it, or on a grill pan/gas grill if you don't.

Top them with slowly caramelized onion and bell pepper.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I screwed up and bought a bunch of chicken breast instead of thigh meat for my tandoori chicken. I tried it and it's okay, but a bit dry and chewy.

What else can I do with all this chicken breast cheaply? I don't really have a lot of money or any staples.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

If I'm cooking anything with vegetables that you sautee what order do you typically start cooking the veggies in?

For instance right now I have some beef stroganoff on the stove with onions and mushrooms. I started cooking the onions first, threw in the mushrooms after, and ground hamburger (because I can't afford real cuts of beef) last before all the goodies for the sauce and what not.

I'm not sure that was right however. What veggies take the longest to cook? I'm assuming there is alot of variables but just in general.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Agent355 posted:

If I'm cooking anything with vegetables that you sautee what order do you typically start cooking the veggies in?

For instance right now I have some beef stroganoff on the stove with onions and mushrooms. I started cooking the onions first, threw in the mushrooms after, and ground hamburger (because I can't afford real cuts of beef) last before all the goodies for the sauce and what not.

I'm not sure that was right however. What veggies take the longest to cook? I'm assuming there is alot of variables but just in general.

You want to throw in the denser vegetables earlier, since they take longer to cook. However, onions should almost always go in first, since you want to give them a lot of time to break down and caramelize and whatnot.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Agent355 posted:

Things that take a long time to cook include broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, onions... Basically anything that's thick, solid, and non leafy should be added first before other softer, thinner, leafier veggies. Exceptions made for garlic and onions because they add flavor. Sounds like you did your beef stroganoff order correctly.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Agent355 posted:

Yeah, it really depends on what you're trying to get out of them. Like potatoes (and other hard, starchy root vegetables) generally take a longish time to cook compared to, say, greens, but how long you actually cook a bit of potato depends a lot on how they're prepared (little cubes versus just a potato sliced in half or whatever) and what kind of end product you want (soft on the inside and a little crispy on the outside like frites, fork-tender like mashed potatoes, or creamy smooth like a potato purée).

At the other end of the spectrum from root vegetables are leafy greens, which are often eaten uncooked and are usually just lightly wilted or something like that if they're cooked at all. In between there's a lot of variation. Galic? You can use it raw if you want a lot of bite, or slow roasted if you want a warmer, richer flavour. Happy Abobo mentions onions. If you're making something like soupe à l'oignon you want long slow cooking to evenly and thoroughly caramelise them. But on the other hand you might want to just quickly sweat them for a punchier flavour. Or use them raw in quick pickles or just as a garnish. And so on.

I guess what I'm saying is that `vegetables' is just a little less broad than `food', and it's difficult to give a meaningful (and not misleading) generalisation for something that all-encompassing. If you're interested in getting a general feel for how to approach different kinds of vegetables you could do worse than to check out the chapter on vegetables in Bittman's How to Cook Everything.

For stroganoff, looking at your description the first thing I'd recommend is preparing the cream of mushroom separately from your beef and combining them at the end. Especially if you're stuck using ground beef.

I'd sauté about half of the mushrooms in butter (melt butter in fry pan, medium heat; add mushrooms, wait for them to stop weeping liquid and start to brown---don't gently caress around with them while they're sautéing, but watch them so you can pull them when you've cooked off the liquid without drying them out).

In a stockpot, melt some more butter and sweat your onions. When they're getting translucent, toss in the other half of your mushrooms, and cook them until they're no longer giving off liquid. Add in your cream and your garni, bring to a simmer, and keep it going until it's reduced by about half.

When it's done, strain your cream sauce (removing the garni and half the mushrooms) then return it to a low heat. Add in the sautéed mushrooms (the ones that you haven't simmered into mush with the sauce). Adding some crème fraîche at this point would be nice, but if you're using ground beef you probably don't have crème fraîche. Leave the sauce over a low heat to keep it warm.

Put on your pappardelle or other noodles. While they're cooking, brown the meat, seasoning with s&p. When the meat's browned, drain off any excess liquid (if there's a lot, you need to use a higher heat, bigger pan, or cook in batches (so you're not crowding the pan)). Drain the pasta, top with the meat and add your sauce. Garnish with some chopped parsley if you want to tart it up.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.

tarepanda posted:

I screwed up and bought a bunch of chicken breast instead of thigh meat for my tandoori chicken. I tried it and it's okay, but a bit dry and chewy.

What else can I do with all this chicken breast cheaply? I don't really have a lot of money or any staples.

You could do some salsa chicken, that's super easy, but also a bit boring. Maybe roast them on a pan, slice em up, and do some home-made chicken burgers? That's always good. Get/bake some good bread, really makes it.

Or a stir-fry? Chicken breast can be used for a ton of poo poo.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

tarepanda posted:

Yeah, chicken breast dries out quicker than pretty much any meat I can think of. I don't typically cook with it if I can help it, since I don't trust myself to not dry it out, but the best trick I've found is to pound them out much thinner than normal. It lets you cook them through much faster and retain some moisture.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Stir frying is good for cooking breast without drying it out. Let them warm up a bit first.

Favela Flav
Dec 24, 2009

Phummus posted:

Empty your sink, put the chicken in the sink and run cool water over it very slowly. This will thaw it quickly and keep it out of the danger zone.

Put some water, a quartered onion and some acid (sherry vinegar maybe?) in a pot and bring to a simmer. Add the sausages and cook through. Sear them off on a charcoal grill if you have it, or on a grill pan/gas grill if you don't.

Top them with slowly caramelized onion and bell pepper.

Thanks for both of these. I was a bit worried about doing a whole chicken in the sink but your idea sounds good. Also, sweet jesus the italian sausage recipe! It sounds great, way better than my idea of what to do with it.

tarepanda posted:

Hey there tarepanda. There's a bunch you can do with those chicken boobs. They'll take on the flavour of anything you cook with them like a sponge. If you don't have much money or food staples try an aussie pub favourite: Chicken schnitzel. (aka The schnitty apparently)

All you need is egg, flour and breadcrumbs. If you don't have breadcrumbs, just put a few slices of bread in the oven and then when they're dry, crumb them up. Hammer out a couple of chicken breasts as thin as you can get them, eggwash, flour, eggwash, breadcrumbs. Shallow fry in some oil, serve it with some chips or potato mash, a bit of gravy and you've just created a $19 pub counter meal.

Do the same thing with the chicken, but only shallow fry one side, then put it fried side up in an oven tray, top it with whatever pasta sauce you have left over and a sprinkle of cheese, bake it till the cheese is melted/browning and you have an improvised chicken parma.

Australia: Bastardising food since 1788 :australia: Ze germans and italians will hate you for these, but your tastebuds will jump for joy. It's not high-brow by any means, but it's quick cheap and tasty enough to get you by.

Favela Flav fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 19, 2012

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

tarepanda posted:

Chicken pot pie!! :3:

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

tarepanda posted:

cook it at higher heat for less time

weinus
Mar 4, 2004

I was made to understand there were grilled cheese sandwiches here.
Wasn't there a thread on sharpening knives? I just got my first actual good knife and wanted to read up on sharpening techniques for when the time comes.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

weinus posted:

Wasn't there a thread on sharpening knives? I just got my first actual good knife and wanted to read up on sharpening techniques for when the time comes.

I dunno, but sliding both sides of my best knife twice along one of these before use, makes sure i can still easily lose a couple of fingers if I'm not carefull
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honing_steel

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Ok guys I am a total retard when it comes to cooking.

I bought a crock pot yesterday and some chicken breast fillets. I want to cook them but all the recipes I can find for the crock pot is for cooking whole chickens. Can someone help me out on how long I should keep the chicken breast fillets in there and if I should put water in it as well or just dump the fillets in there dry?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Don't slow cook breasts, it leads to rubber and sadness.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

keyframe posted:

Ok guys I am a total retard when it comes to cooking.

I bought a crock pot yesterday and some chicken breast fillets. I want to cook them but all the recipes I can find for the crock pot is for cooking whole chickens. Can someone help me out on how long I should keep the chicken breast fillets in there and if I should put water in it as well or just dump the fillets in there dry?

If you just dump your chicken breast in the crockpot with water you'll get the most boring dry chicken breast you ever had. We can give you a recipe for cooking chicken breast with SOMETHING in the crockpot, but first you need to tell us what you want to eat.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Hello. I'm looking for a recipe suggestion for brownie brittle and/or cookie brittle. I've looked around online, but the search results weren't that great, and the GWS wiki only has peanut brittle. My ultimate goal is to find something I can combine with vanilla ice cream to make a homemade ice cream sandwich dessert/treat. I thought the crunchy texture of the brittle would go well with the ice cream, and also keep the ice cream from smooshing out the sides when someone takes a bite.

Thanks!

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Dino or others--I need help with dosa-making technique. It keeps coming out too thick and soggy. :(

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

The Macaroni posted:

Dino or others--I need help with dosa-making technique. It keeps coming out too thick and soggy. :(

Your batter is too thick and you're not cooking it long enough or with not enough fat.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Hello. I'm looking for a recipe suggestion for brownie brittle and/or cookie brittle. I've looked around online, but the search results weren't that great, and the GWS wiki only has peanut brittle. My ultimate goal is to find something I can combine with vanilla ice cream to make a homemade ice cream sandwich dessert/treat. I thought the crunchy texture of the brittle would go well with the ice cream, and also keep the ice cream from smooshing out the sides when someone takes a bite.

Thanks!

Let's just do a quick vocabulary check so we can be sure that we are giving you what you are looking for

A "brittle" is traditionally a mixture of water and sugar combined in a pot over heat to make a simple caramel(toffee?), which is then poured over a small (crunchy) component, such as nuts, seeds or dried fruits. This is spread into a thin layer, allowed to cool and then broken into pieces and served. That's simplifying, but that's brittle.

What it sounds like you want is a recipe for a very thin, crunchy cookie (either chocolate chip, or fudge brownie-like) big enough to hold a scoop of ice cream. Would you say that's accurate?

If that's the case, you can take almost any favorite cookie recipe that you have, make cookies that are slightly larger than standard (maybe 3 TBSP size), spread them out a bit thinner, and keep an eye on the cook time.

When the cookies have cooled you can put a scoop of ice cream on he center of one and then press a second one on top. If you don't want it gushing out, go with slightly less ice cream than you think you need.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Maybe he wants a crumble.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

What it sounds like you want is a recipe for a very thin, crunchy cookie (either chocolate chip, or fudge brownie-like) big enough to hold a scoop of ice cream. Would you say that's accurate?

If that's the case, you can take almost any favorite cookie recipe that you have, make cookies that are slightly larger than standard (maybe 3 TBSP size), spread them out a bit thinner, and keep an eye on the cook time.

When the cookies have cooled you can put a scoop of ice cream on he center of one and then press a second one on top. If you don't want it gushing out, go with slightly less ice cream than you think you need.

Yes, that's accurate. I was given thin, crunchy brownies once and they were presented as "brownie brittle", so I must have gotten my misconception from that. Just making thin, crunchy cookies sounds simple enough, so I'll give that a shot this week. I'd like to give the brownies a go as well, but I'm worried about them being too chewey. Would using the regular reciple and giving them the same baking treatment as the cookies be enough, or is there something else I could do to make sure they're nice and crunchy?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Yes, that's accurate. I was given thin, crunchy brownies once and they were presented as "brownie brittle", so I must have gotten my misconception from that. Just making thin, crunchy cookies sounds simple enough, so I'll give that a shot this week. I'd like to give the brownies a go as well, but I'm worried about them being too chewey. Would using the regular reciple and giving them the same baking treatment as the cookies be enough, or is there something else I could do to make sure they're nice and crunchy?

I wouldn't try a brownie recipe to make a crunchy one, that's basically a chocolate cookie and I'd try that recipe route.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Tuxedo Ted posted:

I doubt a brownie recipe will get you the thinness and crunch you want. Try a chocolate wafer recipe; sounds like that's what you want.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Thanks!

Make brownies in a waffle iron. The ice cream will smoosh into the little pockets.

edit: ^that's not a great brownie recipe; it appears they altered it to make them more like waffles. You can use a real brownie recipe and put the batter in an iron.

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 19, 2012

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Very Strange Things posted:

You can use a real brownie recipe and put the batter in an iron.

:psyboom:

Trying this this weekend, thanks! Wonder how well the interior will solidify? Gotta try it with banana bread.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
I think I asked this before but disappeared for a while due to some other poo poo going on at the time... but I am going to my buddy's for a long weekend with a bunch of friends and I have a pork shoulder and a crock pot. Best recipe for carnitas?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I think I asked this before but disappeared for a while due to some other poo poo going on at the time... but I am going to my buddy's for a long weekend with a bunch of friends and I have a pork shoulder and a crock pot. Best recipe for carnitas?

rub the shoulder in ground cumin, coriander, salt, and black pepper. Add to crock pot with enough lard to cover and two bay leaves. Simmer until tender.

Socratic Moron
Oct 12, 2003
*sigh*
I'm growing collard greens in the garden but have no idea how to prepare them. Every recipe I see online says, "Add 3 cups chopped collars and 1 pound of bacon..." but I don't think my vegetarian wife would appreciate that. Any suggestions for a vegetarian way to prepare collards? Thanks!

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Socratic Moron posted:

I'm growing collard greens in the garden but have no idea how to prepare them. Every recipe I see online says, "Add 3 cups chopped collars and 1 pound of bacon..." but I don't think my vegetarian wife would appreciate that. Any suggestions for a vegetarian way to prepare collards? Thanks!

I like them just sauteed with some browned butter. Or blanched then dipped in pakora batter and deep fried. Or wrapped around something and braised. Or pretty much any way you would use kale.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

GrAviTy84 posted:

I like them just sauteed with some browned butter. Or blanched then dipped in pakora batter and deep fried. Or wrapped around something and braised. Or pretty much any way you would use kale.
Like in kimchi. Seriously, whoever it was that commented in the kimchi thread that they'd been making kimchi with all the random greens that were coming in their CSA box changed my loving life.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I've been sitting here cleaning out paprikas for a while and just realized... I'm throwing away hundreds of paprika seeds. How hard is it to grow your own?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

GrAviTy84 posted:

rub the shoulder in ground cumin, coriander, salt, and black pepper. Add to crock pot with enough lard to cover and two bay leaves. Simmer until tender.

What do you do with it after? Drain it? If so what do you do with the lard?