Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Siliconera has some new Persona 2 art and screens, specifically Eriko, Nanjo, and Baofu.

...it took a surprising amount of will to not type "Elly, Nate, and Baofu" there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

MarsDragon posted:

Siliconera has some new Persona 2 art and screens, specifically Eriko, Nanjo, and Baofu.

...it took a surprising amount of will to not type "Elly, Nate, and Baofu" there.

I may be wrong since it's been a while but Eriko was cool because she spoke English and they actually did a good job with it.

Yeah the urge to use the US names is pretty strong.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I just beat P4 today! I got to the final boss a long time ago but kept getting destroyed and I finally decided to grind a bit more and get Trumpeter. Great game, now time for new game+.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

PonchAxis posted:

I just beat P4 today! I got to the final boss a long time ago but kept getting destroyed and I finally decided to grind a bit more and get Trumpeter. Great game, now time for new game+.

Oh hey then you're the person to ask whether the game keeps getting harder after the bath house, because holy gently caress this is harder than anything in P3 was and I've gotten three or four gameovers on normal enemies

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Oh hey then you're the person to ask whether the game keeps getting harder after the bath house, because holy gently caress this is harder than anything in P3 was and I've gotten three or four gameovers on normal enemies

In my experience, Persona 4 kept getting easier as I made progress. I had a little bit of trouble in the dungeon after the Steamy Bath House, but it was pretty much smooth sailing to the end of the game after that. Just make sure to do the Hermit social link so you don't have to pay such obscene fees to heal.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I agree after the first real dungeon the difficulty in P4 kept decreasing honestly. I don't think it was ever a cake walk but Yukiko's shadow boss was probably the hardest based on who was in your party and what you had access to.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Radish posted:

I agree after the first real dungeon the difficulty in P4 kept decreasing honestly. I don't think it was ever a cake walk but Yukiko's shadow boss was probably the hardest based on who was in your party and what you had access to.

Easily the worst thing about that boss is that you only have two party members and of course one of them is weak to its "supermove" element.

It still only took me one more try after I went back in with a better persona setup, which means I've officially died as many or more times on not one but two different kinds of normal monsters on the upper floors of the bath house. I'm tempted to just give what I assume is Kanji's shadow a try despite feeling under-leveled just so I can go back to anime dating.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Due to poor impulse control, I ended up picking up Devil Survivor 2, Strange Journey, and Persona 2: Innocent Sin at work today.

I've started playing Devil Survivor 2, pretty fun so far, a bit simple at the moment... but I have this paranoid feeling that it's about jump in difficulty without warning. I'm also worried that since I'm pretty much picking responses at random that I've somehow already screwed myself over in terms of how the story's going to turn out. :tinfoil:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

W.T. Fits posted:

Due to poor impulse control, I ended up picking up Devil Survivor 2, Strange Journey, and Persona 2: Innocent Sin at work today.

I've started playing Devil Survivor 2, pretty fun so far, a bit simple at the moment... but I have this paranoid feeling that it's about jump in difficulty without warning. I'm also worried that since I'm pretty much picking responses at random that I've somehow already screwed myself over in terms of how the story's going to turn out. :tinfoil:

Did you play the first Devil Survivor? Because it's a similar level of difficulty, just for different reasons.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

W.T. Fits posted:

I'm also worried that since I'm pretty much picking responses at random that I've somehow already screwed myself over in terms of how the story's going to turn out. :tinfoil:

You can't really screw yourself on the story like you could in DS1 by letting Haru die. None of the ending-essential characters are in any real danger, and only two of the five (and a half) endings are reliant on your actions earlier in the game.

The worst you can do, really, short of making obviously bad choices, is losing out on some Fate levels or getting a character or two killed.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I picked up Persona 3:FES from the PSN the other day and everything seems to be working just great, except that once when I tried to save I got a "no memory card" message and had to try again - not a big deal, right? But then later, when trying to save, it showed that I had no saved data at all. What's up with that? Am I going to randomly lose god knows how many hours and have to restart, is this something that happens with other PS2 Classics, etc. etc.?

It looks like other people are randomly having this happen to them as well, but all the "fixes" are just as random and arbitrary; one person suggests that keeping two saves has prevented it (why wouldn't you do that anyway), another that you have to re-download the game... help me goons.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

precision posted:

I picked up Persona 3:FES from the PSN the other day and everything seems to be working just great, except that once when I tried to save I got a "no memory card" message and had to try again - not a big deal, right? But then later, when trying to save, it showed that I had no saved data at all. What's up with that? Am I going to randomly lose god knows how many hours and have to restart, is this something that happens with other PS2 Classics, etc. etc.?

It looks like other people are randomly having this happen to them as well, but all the "fixes" are just as random and arbitrary; one person suggests that keeping two saves has prevented it (why wouldn't you do that anyway), another that you have to re-download the game... help me goons.

It's a known bug that people playing it from disc on a backwards-compatible PS3 also experienced. As long as you pay attention when you save (and save again until you get a "Save successful" message), it's harmless. Like you noticed though, if you just assume your save went normally and turn the game off...you will lose that save.

Yeah, I didn't lose all my progress like an hour away from finishing the game, why do you ask? :smithicide:

Edit: To my knowledge, this only affected P3:FES.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Len posted:

I still don't get the region locking hate. Is it because I've been playing consoles most of my life so region locking is just something I learned to accept?

It let people import the Ouendan games. You don't really need much more of a reason than that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

fount of knowledge posted:

It's a known bug that people playing it from disc on a backwards-compatible PS3 also experienced. As long as you pay attention when you save (and save again until you get a "Save successful" message), it's harmless. Like you noticed though, if you just assume your save went normally and turn the game off...you will lose that save.

Hmmmm, weird, I'm almost 100% certain the save that got disappeared had said "Save successful", but I suppose I could have missed something. I guess if I immediately try and save after saving just to see if the data I just saved is there, I'll be fine then, right?

Anyway, good God I forgot how much I love these games and how much I remember from when I last played it. The one thing I did forget is how bullshitty some of the classroom questions are. Thankfully in These Modern Times I have Google on my phone because I use the computer monitor for our PS3 and gently caress a bunch of cable-swapping just to get the answer to some Japanese history question.

I only wish Atlus hadn't immediately followed this release with "Yeah, we're not gonna put Persona 4 on the PSN, gently caress you". :suicide: (PERSONAAAAAA!)

Guess I'll have to pick up a Vita after all. Sorry, Nintendo.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

precision posted:

Yeah, every time you save, go back to the save screen again and make sure it took, then save again in another slot. Periodically copy your save to a memory stick just to be safe. It's a surprisingly not-great port. Altus actually had minimal input in the PSN version and it shows.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Oldstench posted:

It's a surprisingly not-great port. Altus actually had minimal input in the PSN version and it shows.

What else is not-great about it, the graphical glitches? I'm not getting those, thankfully.

I still see it as a net positive. It's only tenbux, after all, and to date it's the only game besides God Hand that actually is a "PS2 Classic"...

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

precision posted:

What else is not-great about it, the graphical glitches? I'm not getting those, thankfully.

I still see it as a net positive. It's only tenbux, after all, and to date it's the only game besides God Hand that actually is a "PS2 Classic"...
Yeah the glitches. I've got them in full force and they are seriously eye-molesting at times.

E: I see a shoddy port done by someone other than Atlus as a negative. If this is someone's first experience with an Atlus title and gets really bad graphics glitching and possibly even loses their save, they may not want to buy another game from them.

Oldstench fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 20, 2012

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

For me it kept getting either easier or not so bad. Just be sure to put on a podcast and grind sometimes and fuse a lot.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ask Persona 3 questions errday:

1)Is Junpei good for anything? At level 17 he seems kinda meh, but of course he still has his million skills to learn so I'm wondering if he gets good later on.

2)I've got this accessory called Sigma Drive, with the description "Lowers chance of sustaining critical hit". Normally I wouldn't even look at it twice, but it sells for a whopping 44000. Is it secretly amazing or were the developers overestimating it's usefulness?

3)Is grinding recommended? I've pretty much gone straight to the next roadblock and never looked back, except for grinding some drops for Elizabeth. But, the bosses seem to pretty much kick my rear end like this. I squeaked by Change Relic with heavy item usage and a bit of luck, but it seems like this playstyle wouldn't be sustainable. Should I be running the areas I already went through more often?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
1) Nope. Junpei's pretty much garbage. He gets a little better later on, but he's not really worth your time.

3) The Tartarus bosses are almost unanimously harder than the plot bosses by a significant margin. If you can reach the barrier before the full moon, you're probably fine.

I'll let someone else answer 2 because I don't remember that accessory.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
2) It's nothing special, but do you really need money, either?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Not really, no, but why should I hang onto it if I'm never going to use it? Critical hits occur so infrequently anyway that lowering their chance wouldn't really affect anything.

And these tower bosses are really not loving around. I just fought some sort of white knight on floor 59 and he could oneshot MC with two of his attacks. It feels like every time I win it's because the enemy decided not to kill me.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Which normal enemies? I know the bathhouse is where you start seeing enemies like the chained big cats and the mages with the hand-shaped cloaks, who have no elemental weakness and very high damage output, but they have a secret weakness. They're super-vulnerable to status effects. Like 99% chance of it working, even on things like "physical damage with a low chance of confusion."

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
P4 is much harder than P3FES to start due to the lack of a Magical Healing Lobby, and getting nerfed on SP in earlier dungeons makes playing Simon Says through the bath house much more of a meat grinder than it should be. Once you build up a respectable SP pool and/or get access to replenishing items or the Hermit link it gets much, much easier. Basically, until you can stop caring about SP entirely, it's probably more important to your progress in dungeons than HP.

edit: If you get stuck on a floor boss in P3FES, change your tactics around. While your party members' repertoire is more or less static, you have the ability to plug holes in your team's strategy and this can be all of the difference in boss battles. If your persona line-up is a bunch of high-damage monsters with little access to healing or buffing/debuffing, go fuse until you come up with something that works.

vanov fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 20, 2012

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Junpei learns physical skills that cover all physical damage types, and can knock down any enemy that has a physical weakness.

Now, as for boss battles, grinding helps, but the way to beat bosses it through a good Personas. Personally, I find that I grind for a Persona with a skill or skillset I want to use, and the levels raise with that. Having a Persona that resists the kind of damage that a strong enemy/boss is dishing at you helps a lot.

Do you know how to use buffs and debuffs? They are really key to making boss fights easier. They start with Taru (Attack), Raku (Defense), and Suku (Agility). Buffs end with -kaja, and debuffs end with -kunda.

If a boss is hitting really hard, you'll want to cast Tarunda on it. If you cast Sukunda, it will be able to land a hit less often. If you want to up your damage on the boss, cast Rakunda. I think the most important one to cast is Tarunda, though, since boss fights are long and it helps you survive.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Worst thing about Junpei is how you fight many bosses with a wind attack when you have no choice but to take him.

He really is terrible.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Alteisen posted:

Worst thing about Junpei is how you fight many bosses with a wind attack when you have no choice but to take him.

He really is terrible.

Agreed, I just finished P3P and tried to use him through my NG+ and quickly abandoned him. Also abandoned the game after getting to December w/female protagonist. Back to SJ round 3.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Catalina posted:

advice

I think I'm pretty good on both these things. I beat the loving mindcharged garudyne oneshotting knight by getting a guy who's strong against wind which reduced his killing capabilities to Kill Rush hitting twice which luckily never happened, or Hama I guess but that never hits anyway (I also swapped out Junpei. It's like they don't want you to use him). But it still feels kinda bullshit when the only thing between victory and failure is a dice roll. I would very much like having tarunda or rakunda but nobody seems to learn them at this stage and sukunda just doesn't quite cut it. Rakukaja meanwhile doesn't really seem worth using turns on.

Yukari seems to be stuck in kind of the same rut as Junpei, in that every single enemy uses wind but nothing is ever weak to it. It's somewhat better for her since this means she doesn't really die but she isn't very useful either.

Also. Are status effects as useful as buffs are? My experience with them is that they operate on the standard RPG model of not really working when you want them to, except when the enemy uses them.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I liked Junpei and I used him the whole game

Deal with it :colbert:

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Amppelix posted:

Also. Are status effects as useful as buffs are? My experience with them is that they operate on the standard RPG model of not really working when you want them to, except when the enemy uses them.

Absolutely, particularly against enemies that are extra tough or have few/no weaknesses. Many floor bosses are also susceptible to specific status effects. That is, an enemy might resist confuse every single time but still be able to be charmed.

e: IIRC the skill you get later in the game that indicates whether an enemy is weak or impervious to an attack when you target them also works for specific status effects. Lets you know if the attack that just missed did so due to a dice roll or not.

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 20, 2012

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Dragongem posted:

I liked Junpei and I used him the whole game

Deal with it :colbert:

Based on FES and AI control, I liked Junpei too, and didn't even think he was a particularly bad character.

He has a midgame lull where he doesn't have any amazing physical stuff yet and his Agi growth stops, but he comes back lategame. And his special ability from Chidori helps offset the cumulative cost of his powerful physical specials. At the very least, I prefer him to (recruit spoilers) Aigis and Shinji.

As for Yukari... yeah, she's kind of fragile, but I still think she's amazingly useful because she's the only party member other than the hero who has access to group heals. That helps immensely in some tough battles/emergencies and also frees up the hero to bring his superior offense (if only in versatility) to bear.

I used Junpei, Yukari, and Mitsuru for the whole game (switching Junpei out for Koromaru sometimes because dogs own) and didn't think it was particularly difficult past the first third of the game when those guys and maybe Akihiko are the only characters I had anyway. If I had to say a character was lame I'd probably pick Aigis, who has the same annoying qualities as every physical character but also shares a weakness with Yukari (and I wasn't about to give up her healing for robot girlfriend).

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

I used Junpei, Yukari, and Mitsuru for the whole game (switching Junpei out for Koromaru sometimes because dogs own) and didn't think it was particularly difficult past the first third of the game when those guys and maybe Akihiko are the only characters I had anyway. If I had to say a character was lame I'd probably pick Aigis, who has the same annoying qualities as every physical character but also shares a weakness with Yukari (and I wasn't about to give up her healing for robot girlfriend).

I used Mitsuru, Aigis, and Koromaru, and I'm gonna say you missed out. Aigis is actually a pretty incredible character. You need to look past the fact that she has those same physical qualities and instead look at the fact that she learns every buff skill and Diarahan. If I ever needed a group heal the MC was good enough to handle it, especially in the lategame when you can fuse Kohryu, who I still think is probably one of the absolute best Persona in the game.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
I used Yukari, Akihiko and Mitsuru as soon as they became available and did so through to the end of the game.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Aigis and Akihiko are pretty much on every boss fight team for me. They have the buffs and debuffs and the MC is pretty much wrecking everything anyways so they just make sure she wrecks them harder

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

vanov posted:

I used Yukari, Akihiko and Mitsuru as soon as they became available and did so through to the end of the game.

This was my team too, though I used Koromaru for a while instead of Yukari. Eventually, the poor pup just wasn't pulling his weight and I had to switch him back out.

Silly Voodoo
Mar 31, 2011

There will be no clipping!

As for Yukari... yeah, she's kind of fragile, but I still think she's amazingly useful because she's the only party member other than the hero who has access to group heals.

No she isn't. Ken learns group heal spells too.

I don't really have a favourite party. I just swap party members constantly because I like to keep everyone at roughly the same level. I used Akihiko and Mitsuru a lot during my last playthrough though.

VVVV :hfive:

Silly Voodoo fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 20, 2012

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
This conversation is making me feel weird for leveling everyone evenly and switching them out based on the enemies I had to fight.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Starting up Persona 3: The Answer after picking up the PSN version, but wondering if anyone got some tips for it. Already beat Persona 3 FES and Persona 4, so I got a general idea on how to go about it. Enjoying it so far (even if I miss the direct control like the PSP version of PS3 and Persona 4), but wonder whom I should use. Right now I don't have a lot of options, but really liking Metris. Shame she is a Garu user like Yukari, which means I might have to ditch one later. Did any of the other characters (like the ones not avaable yet), get a heal spell later?

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I was just about to comment that I switched everyone around equally and thought it was pretty rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Metis is pretty awesome.

Also member of the "level up everybody" club representin :cool: