Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lee Harvey Oswald
Mar 17, 2007

by exmarx
Candyman is the best horror movie of the '90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Lee Harvey Oswald posted:

Yeah, it's really good, and I'm not sure where the other poster got the idea it wasn't horror, it's about as horror as it gets in my view.

"Downfall" is definitely highly recommended, just an outstanding film in general, about the last days of the Third Reich. I get the impression the cast contains a lot of the heavy hitters of German cinema. It is long and bleak, though. I didn't find it to "feel" long even on a second viewing within the last few weeks, there's a lot going on. Great performances all around.

matrocious
Feb 7, 2011

Lee Harvey Oswald posted:

I distinctly remember begging someone with tears streaming down my face to not say Candyman's name a fifth time.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I've never actually seen Candyman, but its purported level of scariness was legendary when I was a kid. There were rumors that it was based on a true story, that it was so scary that it got its own one-time-only rating (rated F), etc.

I'm torn between watching it or letting the myth stay, because there's no way it can be as scary as we made it out to be as kids.

I'm not even convinced anyone I knew actually even watched it.

HypnoCabbage
Oct 26, 2007
Cheap as hell since 1971.

Zwabu posted:

"Downfall" is definitely highly recommended, just an outstanding film in general, about the last days of the Third Reich. I get the impression the cast contains a lot of the heavy hitters of German cinema. It is long and bleak, though. I didn't find it to "feel" long even on a second viewing within the last few weeks, there's a lot going on. Great performances all around.

The best thing about those redubbed Hitler clips on Youtube is that it gets people to seek out this movie. It's easily one of the best movies ever made about its subject. Bruno Ganz doesn't just nail Hitler in the rant scene, either; he's brilliant from end to end. Heck, he's so good he can act in a second language and steal a whole movie out from under Liam Neeson.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I remember being a rebellious 13 year old and renting Candyman, The Crow, and Seven with some friends, then reading about all kinds of dangerous stuff we could make from the Jolly Rogers anarchist cookbook. The 90's were great.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
I just found out The Dead Zone (1983) is now on streaming; it wasn't when I checked a few months ago. I haven't watched it, but the thought of Christopher Walken in a Stephen King adaptation has intrigued me for a while, ever since seeing The Deer Hunter and wanting to get more into Walken's earlier films before he started to get cast as a parody of himself.

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.

HypnoCabbage posted:

The best thing about those redubbed Hitler clips on Youtube is that it gets people to seek out this movie. It's easily one of the best movies ever made about its subject. Bruno Ganz doesn't just nail Hitler in the rant scene, either; he's brilliant from end to end. Heck, he's so good he can act in a second language and steal a whole movie out from under Liam Neeson.

Bruno Ganz did a great job in that movie. His take on Hitler made him seem like someone who COULD inspire intense loyalty in other people, largely because he didn't just play him as a robotic monster. There were enough touches of humanity and charisma mixed in with the wild mood swings, callousness, and brutality that it made for a character that was believable but still thoroughly evil.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

HypnoCabbage posted:

The best thing about those redubbed Hitler clips on Youtube is that it gets people to seek out this movie.

This is exactly what happened with me. I first saw some of the parody edits of the rant scene, thought to myself "that actually looks like the real film might be good" and was led to it that way.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Has anyone seen Pontypool? I was thinking about trying it out tomorrow after a final. My friend had seen it and she recommended it, saying it was fairly good.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

VaultAggie posted:

Has anyone seen Pontypool? I was thinking about trying it out tomorrow after a final. My friend had seen it and she recommended it, saying it was fairly good.

Yeah its pretty good. Its a seriously tense movie.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol

VaultAggie posted:

Pontypool is killer. The acting is at times less-than-perfect, but the concepts and overall execution are great. First time I watched it I almost missed the opening monologue, which would be uncouth. It's pretty drat entertaining.

If anyone hasn't watched My Name Is Bruce, you're completely missing out.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

VaultAggie posted:

It's not a traditional horror and very low budget so don't go in with that expectation. But if you want something that has an incredibly clever concept that acts as a bit of cultural commentary and kind of sticks with you long after you see it, it works really well. As stated above, it's something where you really want to pay attention to what people are saying throughout the film, even if it seems inconsequential. Hard Core Logo on Netflix is by the same director and is also pretty cool.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

mod sassinator posted:

I remember being a rebellious 13 year old and renting Candyman, The Crow, and Seven with some friends, then reading about all kinds of dangerous stuff we could make from the Jolly Rogers anarchist cookbook. The 90's were great.

Did you live on my street? I probably rode my Huffy past your house with a new mix tape, a hammer and some nails, on my way to the tree fort in the woods. The 90's were awesome.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

VaultAggie posted:

Pontypool was ok, but there was no payoff at the end. And the premise behind what was causing "it" to happen was pretty lame.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

mds2 posted:

Pontypool was ok, but there was no payoff at the end. And the premise behind what was causing "it" to happen was pretty lame.

This was my reaction. It was... interesting I guess. My wife thought it was beyond lame. Reminded me of Bug actually.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...

mds2 posted:

I also completely agree with this. The first 2/3rds were great, but that last third. Man, it drops the ball.

It's completely worth seeing though.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
You people suck. The premise behind what is causing it is the best thing possible, and is the only reason why the first two thirds of the film were worth watching. I bought the novel right after watching it.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 19, 2012

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

kuddles posted:

You people suck. The premise behind what is causing it is the best thing possible, and is the only reason why the first two thirds of the film were worth watching. I bought the novel right after watching it.

If the end of the movie would have been better I might agree with you. The premise in The Happening was better than the one in Pontypool.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

kuddles posted:

How did I not know it was based on a novel? I've gotta check it out now.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I don't know, I guess it was based on an interesting premise, its just that interesting premises don't always make good movies.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

If you guys want a good horror movie, and don't mind subtitles, watch Dead Snow.

The less you know about it the better.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Malloreon posted:

If you guys want a good horror movie, and don't mind subtitles, watch Dead Snow.

The less you know about it the better.

I second this recommendation. It only gets better as the movie goes on.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

kuddles posted:

I agree with you. I thought Pontypool took what could have been a cliched situation into some surprising and clever new directions, and stuck the landing. And I think the people who think the last section goes downhill are just...wrong.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Thanks for the recommendations everyone, I'll plug it in later tonight and report back my opinions. :)

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Thief with James Caan just came up. I haven't seen it yet, but I just read somewhere (Esquire?) that it's considered one of Michael Mann's best films despite being his first, and showed the direction and style he would take with his later work. It's supposed to be Caan's Bullitt as far as cool is concerned, and portrays Chicago as gorgeous-but-gritty. So I'm looking forward to it.

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
Seriously Pontypool is one of the better horror films I've seen in recent memory, the dialogue and acting are way above average for the genre of low budget horror...I thought the characters were believable and likeable. gently caress the haters.

Also I usually hate sports movies but I recently had to watch The Hammer at a screening at my school for a Deaf studies class, and I noticed it just went up on instant...it wasn't bad. It's based on the story of the first Deaf dude to win an NCAA wrestling championship. It's starring a few Deaf actors (which is cool imo) and was produced by Tapout Films of all things so if you are into MMA/wrestling or have any interest in Deaf culture whatsoever it's an interesting watch.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Would that be a documentary about Matt Hammill?

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
It's a biopic, actually. But yea, Matt Hamill.

The 'love interest' in the film, Shoshanna Stern, was actually at the screening I was at last week. She's been in more stuff than most Deaf actors in here age group (Weeds, Lie to Me, Jericho) so it was kinda cool to her her Q&A bit irl.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Watched The Parking Lot Movie and my god what an unlikeable group of people. Just a bunch of mid 20's to 30's guys who hadn't grown up yet or worked a dull job before. I understand they dealt with frustrating people, but I'd hate to be stuck in a room with most of them. So much anger from high school.

The movie had nothing significant to say or show, and the fact that it even exists is a great example of embarrassing self importance.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Apr 20, 2012

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SunshineDanceParty posted:

The movie had nothing significant to say or show, and the fact that it even exists is a great example of embarrassing self importance.

So glad I'm not the only person who felt this way. I have no idea why it became such an overnight sleeper hit (a part of me hopes it's a "rooting for the underdog" thing since the movie was made for like $20) but it makes me nervous about the future of digital distro making these kinds of movies more popular.

At least stuff like Heavy Metal Parking Lot has an interesting subject matter and historical value.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Just watched Pontypool. Very strange, but I liked it a lot. Totally different then what I was expecting. Now to find some more strange horror or something. Anyone seen Berlin Undead?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bash Ironfist posted:

Just watched Pontypool. Very strange, but I liked it a lot. Totally different then what I was expecting. Now to find some more strange horror or something. Anyone seen Berlin Undead?

Yes it's worth watching even though it doesn't add any new ideas to zombie films.

RaoulDuke
May 6, 2007

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all.

Watched The Parking Lot Movie and my god what an unlikeable group of people. Just a bunch of mid 20's to 30's guys who hadn't grown up yet or worked a dull job before. I understand they dealt with frustrating people, but I'd hate to be stuck in a room with most of them. So much anger from high school.

I think the possibility for that angle, the view of the attendants as self-important/pretentious/judgmental, elevates it above the typical underdog film. Yes I identify with the dudes alot and would probably hang out with them and the job is appealing but, how different do they end up being from the frat boys they loathe? When I watched it, that perspective more or less zoomed over my head. Reading some reviews and thinking back on it gives it a more depth and proverbial fat to chew on which, for me, is a sign of a film that most definetly deserves to exist. Like, the pitfalls of archetypical 20somethins trying to differentiate themselves from 'mainstream' culture, but also the legitimacy of what causes that want to differentiate. I'd like to watch it again with this in mind. It almost brings to mind fight club, where the standard interpretation is pro-tyler durden anti-comformists, whereas I see it as the futility and similarity of both 'sides' (viz the conformity of chanting "his name was robert paulson").

Who knows if it was meant this way however, or if that matter.

RaoulDuke fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Apr 20, 2012

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Well I didn't get around to watching Pontypool but I did watch a movie called The sphere. It's a psychological thriller set in an underwater habitation and follows a set of explorers as they unearth an alien artifact that starts to gently caress with them. My friend told me it was based on a book but despite having never read the book,I really enjoyed the movie even with its fairly convoluted plot.

edit; fixed some grammar gently caress-up.

VaultAggie fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Apr 20, 2012

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

VaultAggie posted:

My friend told me it was based on a book but I really enjoyed the movie and it's fairly convoluted plot.
This is a funny sentence for a number of reasons.

Y Tu Mamá También is expiring in about a week and it's a pretty great romance/bildungsroman, especially if you can put up with teenagers.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Y Tu Mamá También is expiring in about a week and it's a pretty great romance/bildungsroman, especially if you can put up with teenagers.

Y Tu Mamá También is fantastic and everyone should try and watch it before it expires. One of the best road movies I've ever seen.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

That's what makes it hilarious though. The guys are smart enough to know better, yet apathetic to their own situation and society at large - completely satisfied with building stuff out of cardboard boxes and attempting petty revenge schemes. My favorite parts are when they philosophically frame that booth with what Woody Allen would call "pseudo-intellectual" bullshit.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

TrixRabbi posted:

Y Tu Mamá También is fantastic and everyone should try and watch it before it expires. One of the best road movies I've ever seen.

One of the best any-type-of movies I've ever seen. Its really well done. If you haven't seen it watch it before it's gone.

Also is there any kind of pay off at the end of Dead Snow? I fell asleep during the middle and I don't know if I'm going to finish it. Was it recommended based on it being a cheesy horror or a good horror? Cause I wasn't so into it, but I couldn't sleep so I tried it out...and well, fell asleep!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

RizieN posted:

One of the best any-type-of movies I've ever seen. Its really well done. If you haven't seen it watch it before it's gone.

Also is there any kind of pay off at the end of Dead Snow? I fell asleep during the middle and I don't know if I'm going to finish it. Was it recommended based on it being a cheesy horror or a good horror? Cause I wasn't so into it, but I couldn't sleep so I tried it out...and well, fell asleep!

There's a lot more action at the end of the movie and it's pretty fun. Nothing amazing, but if you're already halfway through you might as well finish it. Zombie Nazis is fun enough stuff.

• Locked thread