Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

FrictionlessEmu posted:

Totally unrelated to the update, but I made a Terezi grub plushie to be friends with the Aradia grub plushie I made a few months ago! Some more pictures here.

(Also, this may not be the best place to ask this, but does anyone know a good tutorial for how to adjust the color balance of photos? Terezi came out a lot less teal in the pictures than she is in real life, and I tried fooling around with some color settings in GIMP but I have no idea what's the right way to do it).

Those are adorable. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

VRISKA: Hey, sorry a8out that 8y the way.
TAVROS: aBOUT WHAT,
VRISKA: A8out killing you! It wasn't very cool of me.
TAVROS: oH, rIGHT,
TAVROS: i ALMOST FORGOT THAT EVEN HAPPENED,
VRISKA: How could you forget? Haven't you 8een pissed off at me a8out it?
TAVROS: nO, i MEAN, iT WAS PRETTY MUCH MY FAULT, i THINK,

What the gently caress, Tavros? What the gently caress?

There's low self esteem, then there's saying it's your own fault for being murdered.

I mean, goddamn!

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

There's low self esteem, then there's saying it's your own fault for being murdered.

I mean, goddamn!
To be fair it kind of was. He picked a fight that was way above his level.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I mean, goddamn!

It's basically every internet debate that ever happened about the two of them in a nutshell- except reversed???

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

game on motherfuckers

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I mean, goddamn!

I can see where Tavros is coming from on this. He charged (stupidly, imo) into a situation that he really could not handle. He thought he was being confident, but what he did was not confidence, it was just suicidal stupidity. Now, that does not at all absolve Vriska, she could have just retreated or incapacitated him and that's what she should have done. But this does not change the fact that what Tavros did was utterly foolhardy.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!

FrictionlessEmu posted:

Totally unrelated to the update, but I made a Terezi grub plushie to be friends with the Aradia grub plushie I made a few months ago! Some more pictures here.

(Also, this may not be the best place to ask this, but does anyone know a good tutorial for how to adjust the color balance of photos? Terezi came out a lot less teal in the pictures than she is in real life, and I tried fooling around with some color settings in GIMP but I have no idea what's the right way to do it).

These are basically the cutest things!!

Also, re: Vriska: I gotta say, she's not making me feel more sympathetic for her. She still hasn't really learned empathy. I do appreciate that she apologized and admitted she was at fault for killing Tavros. Even though Tavros's reaction that is almost giving into Vriska's previous mindset, I still feel like she's being kind of an rear end in a top hat by not letting him decide what it meant for him. She's still trying to control other people in a way that is destructive. I'm all for her going off and loving poo poo Up, but it bothers me that she gets to dictate the terms of the situation.

So, I still like Vriska as a character, but her growth is very small. I'm really digging Tavros here though.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

FrictionlessEmu posted:

This is amazing. And the scalemate plushes on your tumblr! :3: I'm not a plush expert or anything but I am curious, what kind of fabric did you use?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Lupus Rufus posted:

These are basically the cutest things!!

Also, re: Vriska: I gotta say, she's not making me feel more sympathetic for her. She still hasn't really learned empathy. I do appreciate that she apologized and admitted she was at fault for killing Tavros. Even though Tavros's reaction that is almost giving into Vriska's previous mindset, I still feel like she's being kind of an rear end in a top hat by not letting him decide what it meant for him. She's still trying to control other people in a way that is destructive. I'm all for her going off and loving poo poo Up, but it bothers me that she gets to dictate the terms of the situation.

So, I still like Vriska as a character, but her growth is very small. I'm really digging Tavros here though.
That's why Vriska should hang out with humans more. She can't mind control them, right?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Elysiume posted:

That's why Vriska should hang out with humans more. She can't mind control them, right?

I think that was more a cross-universe thing than anything else.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

"AVeryLargeRadishNow posted:

that does not at all absolve Vriska, she could have just retreated or incapacitated him and that's what she should have done. But this does not change the fact that what Tavros did was utterly foolhardy.

Foolhardy, yes. Standing up for his beliefs, knowing he'd most likely be killed, yes. Incredibly brave and stupid and completely the right thing for him to do from his moral standpoint, yes.

His fault? For being killed? No, no way in hell.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Elysiume posted:

She could put Jade to sleep, and is in fact responsible for her life-long narcolepsy.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

You can find this and other great titles at your local library
Oh poo poo, I just realized the B1 kids still presumably have Bro's body, right? And Jake has (probably now defunct) Brobot? Come onnnn, double Brosprite!

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009
Tavros can probably just mind control the horrorterrors. They really are going to be able to enter the medium!

FrictionlessEmu
Jan 24, 2011

Thanks for all of the compliments on the plushies! :3:

Looper posted:

This is amazing. And the scalemate plushes on your tumblr! :3: I'm not a plush expert or anything but I am curious, what kind of fabric did you use?

They're made of fleece. I'm not really a plush expert either, I've mainly followed the advice on Eyes5's website. (I made the scalemates with a pattern from her site. The grubs I designed myself though).

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Well i'm glad we're back to focusing on the Real Main Character again even though she's dead and her pointless storyarc was finished

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

King of Solomon posted:

I think that was more a cross-universe thing than anything else.

Well, she could control CD across sessions, but that might just say more about CD than anything else.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

VRISKA: I'm 8r8king out of here tonight!!!!!!!!

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

Well i'm glad we're back to focusing on the Real Main Character again even though she's dead and her pointless storyarc was finished

I think if anything, this is going to resolve things about Tavros more than Vriska. Regardless of how you may or may not feel about him, his story ended in sort of a lovely way. Even if it was foolish of him to charge straight at Vriska singlehandedly, it's pretty lovely for a character's arc to end with "is killed by his lifelong bully after finally standing up to her".

And if Vriska's changed as little as she seems to have here it could be good for both of them as characters.

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Apr 20, 2012

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

All cans are welcome and equal in your city, regardless of can content, and whether empty or full.

quote:

iT WAS COOL BEING ALIVE AGAIN FOR A WHILE, aS A STRANGE UNSETTLING MUTANT,

Only Tavros could come out of that.... experience.... with a positive attitude. And this line is just killing me.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Ah, yeahhhhhhhh, motherfuckin' Vriska Time!!!!!!!! I knew she couldn't leave her irons out of the fire to too long. ::::D

I really liked this interplay. It shows they've both grown, but also still have a bit to go.

They could go off and find out what the deal is with the dying Horrorterrors (since they don't seem to be Jack Noir, and no evidence that it's Lord English yet), but I'm almost expecting them to go on a fact-finding mission on game mechanics, exploits, and glitches.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Bobulus posted:

Ah, yeahhhhhhhh, motherfuckin' Vriska Time!!!!!!!! I knew she couldn't leave her irons out of the fire to too long. ::::D

I really liked this interplay. It shows they've both grown, but also still have a bit to go.

They could go off and find out what the deal is with the dying Horrorterrors (since they don't seem to be Jack Noir, and no evidence that it's Lord English yet), but I'm almost expecting them to go on a fact-finding mission on game mechanics, exploits, and glitches.

Maybe this IS why the horrorterrors are dying.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Foolhardy, yes. Standing up for his beliefs, knowing he'd most likely be killed, yes. Incredibly brave and stupid and completely the right thing for him to do from his moral standpoint, yes.

His fault? For being killed? No, no way in hell.

I'm gonna disagree here. If I charged into a burning building to save people inside would it be Brave and Courageous? Of course. But if I died in the process would it be my fault? Again, of course it would. Just because someone does something brave does not absolve them of responsibility for their actions. Is Tavros completely responsible for his death? No, Vriska is mostly responsible for it, she was powerful enough that she could have easily handled it in any number of other non-lethal ways. But some small part of the responsibility still lies with Tavros for charging into a situation that he knew he would almost certainly be unable to handle.

AVeryLargeRadish fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Apr 20, 2012

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

I wrote a program to extract the track art from the songs, since Zune can't decide on what it wants for the album cover. Those came out nice and square, so I tried making some avatars, if anyone's interested.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Huh, Vriska and Tavros are still talking in a spritelog. Did beta John and Vriska converse in a spritelog, too?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

True Evil Bob posted:

Maybe this IS why the horrorterrors are dying.

Maybe, but I doubt it. They seem, obstensively, to be all about giving good advice and helpful dreambubbles to the players, so I doubt they're conspiring against them.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I'm gonna disagree here. If I charged into a burning building to save people inside would it be Brave and Courageous? Of course. But if I died in the process would it be my fault? Again, of course it would. Just because someone does something brave does not absolve them of responsibility for their actions. Is Tavros completely responsible for his death? No, Vriska is mostly responsible for it, she was powerful enough that she could have easily handled it in any number of other non-lethal ways. But some small part of the responsibility still lies with Tavros for charging into a situation that he knew he would almost certainly be unable to handle.

quote:

VRISKA: No, you idiot! That's not what happened at all. I sta88ed you through the chest 8ecause I was 8eing a huge 8itch!
:colbert:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Man, this update was the best thing to push us to page 413.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

WAR FOOT posted:

Huh, Vriska and Tavros are still talking in a spritelog. Did beta John and Vriska converse in a spritelog, too?

Pesterlog, since their conversation started on pesterchum/trollian

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
It wouldn't be MS Paint Adventures if there wasn't escaping from the afterlife, really.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Zorak posted:

It wouldn't be MS Paint Adventures if there wasn't escaping from the afterlife, really.

Exactly! That's what I've been thinking (and hoping for) all along for a reason (well, reasons.)

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

SatansBestBuddy posted:

:colbert:

They're both wrong is the point. Vriska's actions were morally wrong, and it's good that she's starting to realize that! But it doesn't make Tavros any less of an idiot and what he did was not the "right thing". It was just dumb and loving pointless.

MORAL OUTRAGE that gets you killed and accomplishes nothing is pointless. Doesn't matter how many Self Esteem Points you award yourself despite realizing it's pointless.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Captain Oblivious posted:

They're both wrong is the point. Vriska's actions were morally wrong, and it's good that she's starting to realize that! But it doesn't make Tavros any less of an idiot and what he did was not the "right thing". It was just dumb and loving pointless.

MORAL OUTRAGE that gets you killed and accomplishes nothing is pointless. Doesn't matter how many Self Esteem Points you award yourself despite realizing it's pointless.

Also, he did it out of a sense of false confidence and because heroes beatkill bad guys.

EDIT: I mean, Vriska was a problematic actor and something needed to be done, but Tavros was doing it wrong and for all the wrong reasons.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
It's the attitude that gets to me, really.

He's basically apologizing to his murderer for being dead.

I mean, he can't even have confidence in his own death.

First Spear
Jun 27, 2008

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Yes, she was strong enough that she could have ended the confrontation without killing him, but he -did- still try to murder her. That he got killed in return does not absolve him of that. They were both wrong.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I don't really disagree with this, but that's kinda who Tavros is. Even though he's being slightly more assertive and confident, he obviously still has some confidence issues. It's sad, but it's something that I think he's more likely to start working through now.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!

Gabriel Pope posted:

EDIT: Actually more than anything I hope that Tavros and Vriska spend the rest of the comic bumbling around the fringe of the story Rosencrantz and Guildensterning it up without any of Vriska's plans ever coming to fruition.

This, so much. This was my first thought after reading the update. I mean, yeah it was really sweet and nice to see some character growth from both, and I was glad to see that Tavros was finally happy. But they just make such a great team together that I really want to see what whacky adventures the two of them will get up to at the edges of the story.

^^^^^^^^^
It sorta bothered me too, but I actually saw it more as Tavros just doesn't care anymore. He's content now, he doesn't need all that old poo poo bringing him down. They're both dead, bygones be bygones, etc. I saw it more as him just trying to be nice and getting on with things.

E: not to say he's a saint, or anything. Apologizing for your own murder is still pretty messed up. But it's been a recurring element in the story that death doesn't mean much to the dead. They're usually shown rather content and detached, and maybe murder's not a big deal to the dead. Well, that's how I saw it at least. Tavros still has a long way to go, maybe he'll call her out on murdering him eventually.

Starmaker fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Apr 20, 2012

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I certainly wouldn't mind if Vriska and Tavros hung out on the sideline for a while, give the other groups time to do their own thing, but the fact that John still doesn't know Vriska is dead is basically bullet point one in the list of reasons why they'll eventually rejoin the main group, somehow.

Because it will be super funny when she rejoins the asteroid group just in time for John to never find out she died.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off
In other news, Man vs Homestuck continues to harbor irrational hatred for Rose and Jade and it's passing beyond the point of being funny and streaking toward annoying.

Also he still seems supremely confident he can nitpick Hussie's stable time loops to pieces. Good luck sir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Starmaker posted:

It sorta bothered me too, but I actually saw it more as Tavros just doesn't care anymore. He's content now, he doesn't need all that old poo poo bringing him down. They're both dead, bygones be bygones, etc. I saw it more as him just trying to be nice and getting on with things.
Oh, that's definitely a factor too. It's important to remember that for the Beta kids and the trolls, it's been two years now. That's a lot of time to think things over and work past it. For Vriska, well, she (apparently) never got the opportunity to apologize, so she's doing it now, if in her own kinda aggressive way.

Starmaker posted:

E: not to say he's a saint, or anything. Apologizing for your own murder is still pretty messed up. But it's been a recurring element in the story that death doesn't mean much to the dead. They're usually shown rather content and detached, and maybe murder's not a big deal to the dead. Well, that's how I saw it at least. Tavros still has a long way to go, maybe he'll call her out on murdering him eventually.

I loving hope not. She apologized, they started talking it through. It would really poo poo on this conversation if he decided to call her out on it anyways later on.