Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

starfish
Dec 21, 2004

Does anyone know if the "total time entitled" on an account is supposed to be for your station account or only EQ? I ask because my account is ancient but I'm apparently only entitled to 188 days, where as my brother's account is roughly the same age and he has over a year.
It's even more confusing coupled with the fact that my account went straight to silver when EQ went F2P but his was only bronze or whatever it's called. I just want the XP vet reward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

starfish posted:

Does anyone know if the "total time entitled" on an account is supposed to be for your station account or only EQ? I ask because my account is ancient but I'm apparently only entitled to 188 days, where as my brother's account is roughly the same age and he has over a year.
It's even more confusing coupled with the fact that my account went straight to silver when EQ went F2P but his was only bronze or whatever it's called. I just want the XP vet reward.

As far as I know it's totally broken and no one knows how it works. I somehow have over 30 years on my account which doesn't seem even remotely plausible. I'd petition it and ask them to check if I were you. I'd guess it's supposed to only be for EQ though, but who knows.

e: Oops never mind I figured out why my vet time is so silly. That's unrelated. I'd still petition it though if you think you should have more vet time.

Nurge fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Apr 19, 2012

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
Definitely check into that, because I have 2 accounts that were supposed to have about 3 years of time on them. One account ended up with around 7 years and the other ended up with only 80 days. Their system is completely screwed up.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
I wanted to be the first to let you know that we're giving everyone on a recurring Gold Membership some free items.

We'll have more information about this on Friday but when we release the news article and when the Email hits your inbox, it's going to tell you that if you are on a recurring Gold Membership under the 1 month recurring plan, we're giving you one of our Big Bags and some food and drink that gives some benefits. And if you are on a 3 month recurring plan or better, you're going to get a Bigger Bag + XP potions + Consigned Armor + Mercenary Contract and a few other potions, food and drink. If you're not signed up to receive emails, you might want to go into your account and click to receive the information.

Also, if you are not currently on a recurring Gold Membership Plan, there will be some additional information on how you can take advantage of this offer as well this weekend, starting on Friday.

A thank you from the EverQuest Team! (the items, not my leak of information...)

-Thom Terrazas AKA "Phathom"

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/posts/list.m?topic_id=185820

Bumble Bee
Dec 21, 2005

by Lowtax
On the free to play list, it says you can only pick from four classes and four races, but it also says "remaning purchaseable."

Does that mean you can fire in a bit of money, unlock the other races and classes, but still play for free otherwise?

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

Bumble Bee posted:

On the free to play list, it says you can only pick from four classes and four races, but it also says "remaning purchaseable."

Does that mean you can fire in a bit of money, unlock the other races and classes, but still play for free otherwise?

Yep, if you click on the gold "SC" button, it will have all the answers for you.

You could just go gold and get all of that stuff unlocked, but I think once the account goes back to silver, it locks you out of those classes/races you have not purchased.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

xZAOx posted:

Did some SoD prog today with Ben - it's awesome. I love throwback zones anyways (like caverns of time stuff from WoW), but getting a modern BB was great. Fun zone, gonna have to do some old-fashioned crawling in it for exp at some point.

As I understand it, there's some kind of 'legacy group' tasks that let you do an instanced Sol B and Lower Guk in PoK, are they worth doing for fun/loot at 80-85?

There's also a 'legacy raid' task for both Nagafen and Vox which apparently puts you into shrouded characters of appropriate level to fight em, but those apparently take raid wins against stuff Solteris or later.

Bumble Bee
Dec 21, 2005

by Lowtax

Peechka posted:

Yep, if you click on the gold "SC" button, it will have all the answers for you.

You could just go gold and get all of that stuff unlocked, but I think once the account goes back to silver, it locks you out of those classes/races you have not purchased.

Awesome, downloading it now. How much is it to unlock a class or a race?

Looking forward to a bit of a nostalgia kick with this anyway!

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006

Bumble Bee posted:

Awesome, downloading it now. How much is it to unlock a class or a race?

It's $3.00 per race and $3.00 per class

erazure
Oct 23, 2005

Honestly $15 for a month of Gold will unlock all races and classes and won't "lock" your troll druid when it expires. Combined with the J1 mercenary access, it makes sense to do a month and be able to tinker with multiple classes as desired until you find the one you like. You'll also get enough SC to buy 3 inventory slots when you drop to silver.

erazure
Oct 23, 2005

I say "won't lock you out" as someone with Silver and a troll shaman and has access to play it just fine. I can't MAKE another character with anything but the base class/race, but the characters are perfectly accessible after the downgrade.

comedy edit: Pay an extra, what, $5? to get Gold access to EQ2 via Station Pass and get to see also how the sequel did!

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

Bahanahab posted:

It's $3.00 per race and $3.00 per class

No, it's $3 per race and $7.50 per class

Trowadeath
Jan 13, 2007

erazure posted:

I say "won't lock you out" as someone with Silver and a troll shaman and has access to play it just fine. I can't MAKE another character with anything but the base class/race, but the characters are perfectly accessible after the downgrade.

comedy edit: Pay an extra, what, $5? to get Gold access to EQ2 via Station Pass and get to see also how the sequel did!

I'm pretty sure that you will still need to pay for your race/class combo if you made the chars after F2P started. Maybe you got grandfathered in?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
I find it incomprehensible that the OP does not have the history of Fansy the Famous Bard in it.

http://www.notaddicted.com/fansythefamous.php

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006

Optimum Gulps posted:

No, it's $3 per race and $7.50 per class

Holy crap, it is $7.50 per class.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

DJ Dizzy posted:

I find it incomprehensible that the OP does not have the history of Fansy the Famous Bard in it.

http://www.notaddicted.com/fansythefamous.php

That dude was awesome, in totally unrelated news, I think EQ1 was the first MMO to have some dude off themselves over an ingame girl too.

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-18559_162-525965.html

tatertot
Aug 29, 2003

Trowadeath posted:

I'm pretty sure that you will still need to pay for your race/class combo if you made the chars after F2P started. Maybe you got grandfathered in?

I made my ranger after F2P started and I was locked out when my gold sub expired today.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

tatertot posted:

I made my ranger after F2P started and I was locked out when my gold sub expired today.

Yeah, you only keep your silver non-free race/class characters if they were made before march 1st or something like that. I don't remember the exact date offhand.

Sgt Froggy
Mar 22, 2012
Is there a separate login/registration for the LON side of the game? Ive got gold, Ive gotten (redeemed) 2 starters and 20 boosters, but it still wont let me into scenario play. Its getting frustrating to say the least.

Then again since I started mucking about with it my leveling rate has dropped off. Maybe staying locked out isn't such a bad thing.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Sgt Froggy posted:

Is there a separate login/registration for the LON side of the game? Ive got gold, Ive gotten (redeemed) 2 starters and 20 boosters, but it still wont let me into scenario play. Its getting frustrating to say the least.

Then again since I started mucking about with it my leveling rate has dropped off. Maybe staying locked out isn't such a bad thing.

Yeah for some reason I can't do scenarios neither. They want you to spend real time money on it in order to do them.

Except you can do Scenarios by doing into the trade section and you should see the new event scenario on the right. click it and you can do ANY of the scenarios available*.

*Most scenario games are locked until you win the previous ones since it's a campaign and it tells a story

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

This may not even be related to scenarios, but I know at one time you couldn't do stuff like trade with other players unless you had spent some amount of money on LoN, even if it was just a single booster pack purchase. No idea if that is still in effect or if other parts of LoN were the same way.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

I hope you're using the LoN stand alone client, not the one built into EQ.

Sgt Froggy
Mar 22, 2012
I didn't even realize that there was a stand alone client. I only clicled it in game from pther people talking about it in this thread. I just assumed it was an in game diversion that replaced the "gems" game they had put in forever ago.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Holy power level batman, everyone is level 81-90 now lol

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Ninkobei posted:

Holy power level batman, everyone is level 81-90 now lol

Yeah, I imagine a lot of people have some seriously gimped toons, lol. No skills, no gear, no AA.

The PL is really, really tempting, but I'm stopping at 81. I had pretty much max AA for 76 (as in, anything even remotely useful was bought), so I'm not that far behind on AA, but my skills are behind some, and I'm going to gear up. I'll probably stay locked here a while.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

xZAOx posted:

Yeah, I imagine a lot of people have some seriously gimped toons, lol. No skills, no gear, no AA.

The PL is really, really tempting, but I'm stopping at 81. I had pretty much max AA for 76 (as in, anything even remotely useful was bought), so I'm not that far behind on AA, but my skills are behind some, and I'm going to gear up. I'll probably stay locked here a while.

I can kind of see why it's tempting, considering it took me something like 5 hours today to go from 64-65. It's still faster than the old days but bluhh. How much plat do I need to hoard up anyway to be able to fund equipment at 80? I've been looking and the power jump just from equipment at that level is asinine. Weapon ratios nearly triple when you hit 80 apparently.

e: Also by nearly triple I mean just looking at some really low-end weapons on bazaar with 80 req going for 1.5k a pop or something piddly like that. I'm sure the better stuff is even better.

Nurge fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 20, 2012

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Nurge posted:

I can kind of see why it's tempting, considering it took me something like 5 hours today to go from 64-65. It's still faster than the old days but bluhh. How much plat do I need to hoard up anyway to be able to fund equipment at 80? I've been looking and the power jump just from equipment at that level is asinine. Weapon ratios nearly triple when you hit 80 apparently.

e: Also by nearly triple I mean just looking at some really low-end weapons on bazaar with 80 req going for 1.5k a pop or something piddly like that. I'm sure the better stuff is even better.

Apparently, the baz for 80 weapons is as good as it gets. I'm just going on what I was told though. As in, it's the best at 80 - nothing is no drop that's any better. Next "tier" of weapons/gear is at 85 I think.

But the weapons didn't go up quite that much. At 70 I had my epic 2.0 which was 36/20, and at 75 I used my fabled pet weapon which was 40/20. I used that duo until just now at 81, and I'm using 75/26 and 57/20. So they're definitely noticeably better, but it's not like it tripled. Main hand went from 2.00 to 2.85, offhand went from 1.8 to 2.88.

For the other 80 gear, you can get all the non-invis pieces for 30 dream motes each. 11 pieces. Dream motes range from 20-50pp on the baz, with 330 of them (note, our guildbank gets some nice 80 non-vis gear too for free!), that's 6,600pp to 16,500pp. Farm gems in the hole for a few days, and you're set.

The vis pieces are more expensive though (chest, legs, etc). You might can find someone to make you the set for the low low end of 30k up to 50k or even higher. Apparently if you set yourself up as a buyer in the baz at 10k a piece, you'll get your set pretty quickly. I think that's 8 pieces? So around 80k or cheaper. If you make them yourself, it's just 2.5k a piece or so (but you need the no drop component). I'm hoping to loot most of mine myself (or I take free stuff! hehe), especially now that we have people who can group in HoT content.

Also - 5 hours for 64-65?! That's not good. You need to find a better spot, if you can. Try solo'ing/molo'ing in the hole? Or grieg's end?

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

xZAOx posted:

But the weapons didn't go up quite that much. At 70 I had my epic 2.0 which was 36/20, and at 75 I used my fabled pet weapon which was 40/20. I used that duo until just now at 81, and I'm using 75/26 and 57/20. So they're definitely noticeably better, but it's not like it tripled. Main hand went from 2.00 to 2.85, offhand went from 1.8 to 2.88.

Ah, I guess there are better weapons available pre-80 than I thought then. I should probably start working on my 1.5 soon.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

xZAOx posted:

I'm eagerly anticipating the bloody trainwreck guildchat becomes over this :v: 85+ zones are seriously brutal and the mobs have magnitudes more hp, so not only is tanking much harder, but AA gain slows to a crawl if nobody has any AA and therefore no DPS. Staying locked at 81/85 is perfectly fine, just means you'll level up faster when you get ready + not be a gimp at the other end. I was 85 for 6 weeks or so before moving onward and I'm really glad I did. T3+ zones are loving brutal and I don't think I could've managed them without stopping at 85 for a while.

Nurge - Brum's right, 64-65 should be 1-2 hours, not 5, yikes. Where are you grinding??

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
As were nearing lv 80 ourselves. I staterd shopping around for some lv80 gear for my Ranger and pretty much scored on a lot of the stuff. For instance I picked up an entire set of terror infused link stuff for like an average of 6K a piece. It was wierd but most of that stuff was going for 10K-20K a piece but one trader out of like 5 had the stuff for dirt cheap. Same with the non visible stuff. For instance I picked up 2 Lv80 rings for 4K off the same trader. The same rings were up for 10K each. so even if I just bought them to resell, it was a steal IMO. It seems, from just investigating in the past week, that the Lv80 stuff on average is about 10K-15K a piece on my server, Drinal.

All in all I picked up the entire set of lv80 gear exept for the legs, 2 bracers, and 2 earings, offhand for about 40K? Not bad considering the stuff is all pretty much 3X as powerful as the Elegant Defiant I have now that cost me pretty much the same.

Peechka fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 20, 2012

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

MrTheDevious posted:

Nurge - Brum's right, 64-65 should be 1-2 hours, not 5, yikes. Where are you grinding??

I started in hole library first but it seemed really slow so I moved to crypt of nadox, which was somehow even slower and the stuff had a shitload of hp. Honestly, of the places I've tried so far droga and chardok b might be the fastest exp. It's still not stellar though. I guess grieg's end might be worth another shot. Note that the 5 hours also included a lesson, so yeah. I'm definitely doing something wrong I think.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Peechka posted:

As were nearing lv 80 ourselves. I staterd shopping around for some lv80 gear for my Ranger and pretty much scored on a lot of the stuff. For instance I picked up an entire set of terror infused link stuff for like an average of 6K a piece. It was wierd but most of that stuff was going for 10K-20K a piece but one trader out of like 5 had the stuff for dirt cheap. Same with the non visible stuff. For instance I picked up 2 Lv80 rings for 4K off the same trader. The same rings were up for 10K each. so even if I just bought them to resell, it was a steal IMO. It seems, from just investigating in the past week, that the Lv80 stuff on average is about 10K-15K a piece on my server, Drinal.

All in all I picked up the entire set of lv80 gear exept for the legs, 2 bracers, and 2 earings, offhand for about 40K? Not bad considering the stuff is all pretty much 3X as powerful as the Elegant Defiant I have now that cost me pretty much the same.

The stat jump in gear to HoT stuff is absolutely absurd, you go from barely scraping by in zones with your defiant or similar to being pretty much invincible in the same zones.

I bought VoA T1 for my shaman when it hit 85 and my HP went from 9,600 to 35,000 with a mix of defiant and whatnot beforehand.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
What we plan to do is stop again at 80, with all that HoT goodness, and farm out like 600-700 more AA, maybe even 1000. The plan is to go back to the lv 70+ zones in Serpent Spine or others and just rape.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006

Nurge posted:

I started in hole library first but it seemed really slow so I moved to crypt of nadox, which was somehow even slower and the stuff had a shitload of hp. Honestly, of the places I've tried so far droga and chardok b might be the fastest exp. It's still not stellar though. I guess grieg's end might be worth another shot. Note that the 5 hours also included a lesson, so yeah. I'm definitely doing something wrong I think.

At 65 here are the zones you should check out:

Wall of Slaughter
Muramite Proving Grounds

There are more, but those two zones got me from 65 - 70 in about 7 hours. I could have taken it faster if I was better at single pulling, but until my SK got his aoe agro spell I had to be more careful. Every other zone I went to at those levels the mobs hit like freight trains with no brakes, and I was running out of mana after about 3 mobs.

If you have a tank merc you can fly through those levels so much faster, because tank mercs are jesus compared to an under aa'd player tank. Also, you get to those zones by talking to a priest of discord and saying "Wish to go to Discord."

Riteik
Dec 18, 2001

Its really weird trying to figure out when to AA and when to XP now with mercs. And I really cant decide if I should play my old 73 berserker with 130 AA or my 66 wizard with 30. The zerker seems to have more long term potential, but its rather painful having no travel or utility powers.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Nurge posted:

I will state that, when I came back, people were saying "go to such-and-such, grinding is super easy!". Then I go there, and got my rear end handed to me, and exp was slow, and I had to use mercs, and cooldowns, and downtime to regen health, etc.

But once I got more AA, a few levels, a little better gear, it did finally turn around.

I hit another lull at 75 - I could solo at Paw, but it wasn't super quick.

It doesn't help that most places with good (or at least decent) returns on solo/molo'ing are usually heavily packed. So I'd try somewhere else, and after seeing how much slower it was (either tougher mobs, or needing a merc to do it, etc), I'd just become uninterested in using it to level or grind AA.

Instead I'd go explore other content for fun, and just get exp when we grouped / duo'd. It really slowed me down though, and I started lagging behind everyone - hence taking the offer to PL to 81.

My plan now is to try to just "stick it out" more if I need to - live with molo exp until I get enough gear/AA to be able to ditch the merc. But still give a preference to grouping.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Bahanahab posted:

At 65 here are the zones you should check out:

Wall of Slaughter
Muramite Proving Grounds

There are more, but those two zones got me from 65 - 70 in about 7 hours. I could have taken it faster if I was better at single pulling, but until my SK got his aoe agro spell I had to be more careful. Every other zone I went to at those levels the mobs hit like freight trains with no brakes, and I was running out of mana after about 3 mobs.

If you have a tank merc you can fly through those levels so much faster, because tank mercs are jesus compared to an under aa'd player tank. Also, you get to those zones by talking to a priest of discord and saying "Wish to go to Discord."

Thanks for the tips. I tried Wall just now but my tank merc gets ripped into little tank-merc shaped shreds by everything in the zone, so it's not really viable at the moment. Looks like a fun zone though so I'll try again in a few levels.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
I think you want to hit the murk glider caves specifically.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006

Nurge posted:

Thanks for the tips. I tried Wall just now but my tank merc gets ripped into little tank-merc shaped shreds by everything in the zone, so it's not really viable at the moment. Looks like a fun zone though so I'll try again in a few levels.

Bastion of Thunder is going to be lower level mobs, but they are much easier than the mobs anywhere else I found. If nothing else, it would be a spot you could grind at without having to worry about getting destroyed every pull.

Also, the wall mobs were rough at first, but they were easier than everywhere else I tried at 65. They didn't become easy until 69. At 69 I could pull anything that wandered close to me, and I was never even close to running out of mana or health. A few named mobs had some crazy abilities that destroyed me, but I just stayed away from anything that was named.

Bahanahab fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I just got a new little baby son yesterday, so I've been playing a bit less lately. :) Will return sooner or later.

MrTheDevious posted:

81+ for HS. Until then, you just can't spit the arrow volume required to land a HS fast enough. I actually PLd a ranger purely for HS, and he's now rotting because my SK swarming just destroyed his xp rate. After watching a few high levels HS though, you'll definitely hit a point where it's awesome as hell...just not until 80+ :( I think the agreed-upon first "real" headshot experience is when you become able to HS Plane of Fire, which is somewhere in the low 80s
My experience is about the same, for those ranger-curious out there. At lvl 75, you can start testing the waters in Halls of Honor, but it's not good xp at all, and annoying non-HS'able mobs roam around. At lvl 79, you can start headshotting the C1 camp in Plane of Fire, which is the castle building up north in the zone. At lvl 81, you can move to C2, which is the castle area in the south. While it was fun to try, there were multiple problems:

1) Respawns in C1 are simply too slow. You're looking at waiting at least 15 minutes for respawns between pulls.
2) Respawns in C2 might be okay if you're alone, but again slow if there is as much as one competitor in the camp; you'll be sitting on your butt for at least 10-15 minutes between pulls. Everyone knows about PoF C2, and just the slightest competition ruins it.
3) Headshotting is seriously hard work. It's nowhere near as easy as small-time swarming (in my opinion), because at that level, you're looking at close to 10 minutes of full concentration to do a pull and execute all the mobs.

First, you spend a lot of time pulling, which is a pain because the aggro range of mobs in PoF is low. Pull, pull, pull, try not to train other people, and finally run to a large, open area. Now you need to run in circles to round the mobs up as much as possible, so you can finally stop and use the cone-effect AoE snare on them while they're all bunched up. Inevitably, many will not be snared when you cast the first spell, and you're in for more running around, often getting hit and at worst, stunned. Run around some more, and the snare you cast on the first mobs will now faded on some of them. Run around some more, snare again. Even though Vinelash Cascade's snare is supposed to last for 30s, I had to chain cast it as often as I could to keep the mobs in place. Then of course is the arrow plinking and targeting, along with frustration of getting streaks of no Headshot firing, the constant snaring, etc.

End result: A lot of frustration, around 5-10 AA for a good pull (depending on how many mobs you have to yourself), and then you're looking at waiting for ages for respawns. Bummer.

All in all, it wasn't really that much fun, so I strongly suspect you'll need at least lvl 85, if not 90, for it to be really fun and painless.