Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009

pastor of muppets posted:

Mine took almost 24 hours after I confirmed my account. From what my other friends have said, that seems to be the average.

Ok cool thanks. I just wanted to make sure the email wasn't getting lost to the void.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
RookIce21798. I kinda like it, it brings up an image of an ice chessboard. My animal is a western green toad (gently caress the haters), and my wand is willow with unicorn core, 12 inches and slightly yielding.

I got into Hufflepuff, which, too be honest, is what I expected. I've always been one at heart! Add me to the ever-growing amount of people who're ashamed to be enjoying this a little too much. Just finished the first book, it was enjoyable! Yeah, McGonagall's story was crazy detailed and heartbreaking, I always liked her character though.

Also, I get the feeling your wand may contribute to the house you get into, anyone else?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

trapped mouse posted:

Also, I get the feeling your wand may contribute to the house you get into, anyone else?

I dunno, unicorn hair supposedly makes you less inclined to the dark arts, and black walnut mandates self-honesty, from what the little writeups said. I was dismayed enough to spend the next little while going 'please not Ravenclaw'.

Lucania
May 1, 2009
MidnightDraconis22730, ash and dragon wand, 9 3/4", unyielding. There were some horrible naming options that sounded like 80s bands (SparksWave?), so I ended up with one that sounded like something out of Slytherin. I ended up getting sorted into Ravenclaw, which was my first choice. My pet is a tabby cat to match my real-life pet. :3:

drat it, I'm Neville-lesque with potions. Ended up brewing a potion for almost an hour only to run out of time with the second part because the ingredients were such a mess on the side that I couldn't click things quickly.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

I just got sorted into Gryffindor and got an apple wood 12.5" dragon core wand, I'm MahoganyWatch16760 if anyone wants to friend me.

So uh, what exactly does it mean when my wand is... supple?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Haywood Japwnme posted:

I just got sorted into Gryffindor and got an apple wood 12.5" dragon core wand, I'm MahoganyWatch16760 if anyone wants to friend me.

So uh, what exactly does it mean when my wand is... supple?

The flexibility of your wand is supposed to reflect your adaptability and willingness to change.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
So glad this is up and running! Name is SunWillow14789 if anyone wants to add me. I got a 13" Alder wand (unyielding) with dragon core and sorted into Gryffindor (which is bs because the actual hat from the movies has sorted me into Hufflepuff multiple times over the past 4 years :colbert: ). Can't wait to go back and explore a little bit more. This site is a great way to go back and re-explore the books after letting them get dusty for too long.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

ACACIA WITH DRAGON CORE, FOURTEEN AND A QUARTER INCHES, SLIGHTLY YIELDING

This site feels both Web2.0 and 1995 at times. So strange.

edit:

I guess I'm just a background character. :sigh:

SystemLogoff fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 17, 2012

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I haven't been in there since the beta first launched. Did they add anything...interesting? I remember blowing through everything they had to offer in a couple of days, and being sorely disappointed given how much this was hyped.

Is dueling fixed?

Jd7154
Jul 15, 2004
Anyone else get to pick their house? After the questions were done it flat out asked me which I liked more between Gryffindor and Slytherin, I chose Slytherin and thats what it put me in. I went back a few pages in the thread and didn't see any other mentions of that happening(I could have missed them though) and thought it was kind of interesting that happened.

I don't see killing too much time with this, but its definitely cool to read the extra bits that weren't included in the books.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Jd7154 posted:

Anyone else get to pick their house? After the questions were done it flat out asked me which I liked more between Gryffindor and Slytherin, I chose Slytherin and thats what it put me in. I went back a few pages in the thread and didn't see any other mentions of that happening(I could have missed them though) and thought it was kind of interesting that happened.

I don't see killing too much time with this, but its definitely cool to read the extra bits that weren't included in the books.

I got to pick between Ravenclaw and (I think, it's been a while) Gryffindor. I chose Ravenclaw obviously 'cause it's the best.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

DontMockMySmock posted:

I got to pick between Ravenclaw and (I think, it's been a while) Gryffindor. I chose Ravenclaw obviously 'cause it's the best.

Ravenclaw superiority! :viggo::respek::viggo:

I'm kinda jealous y'all got to pick, though. I mean, I wanted Ravenclaw and I got Ravenclaw so I guess it doesn't make a difference in the end, but my last question was literally "Heads or Tails?" I didn't have a coin handy to flip so I just sat there staring blankly at the screen for several minutes trying to figure out how this could possibly influence the decision.

I ended up picking Tails because it seemed to me to be the most Ravenclaw option (on every other question I answered honestly without trying for the house I wanted, but I made an exception for this one because honestly, what the hell) for reasons I can't fully articulate. Guess it worked! V:v:V

Bagpuss
Mar 23, 2001

A little bit of solidarity goes a long way.

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Ravenclaw superiority! :viggo::respek::viggo:

I'm kinda jealous y'all got to pick, though. I mean, I wanted Ravenclaw and I got Ravenclaw so I guess it doesn't make a difference in the end, but my last question was literally "Heads or Tails?" I didn't have a coin handy to flip so I just sat there staring blankly at the screen for several minutes trying to figure out how this could possibly influence the decision.

I ended up picking Tails because it seemed to me to be the most Ravenclaw option (on every other question I answered honestly without trying for the house I wanted, but I made an exception for this one because honestly, what the hell) for reasons I can't fully articulate. Guess it worked! V:v:V
I got that as my last question as well, I was hoping for Ravenclaw and I picked tails as well but got put in Slitherin.

SkyFeather21611 if anyone wants another friend!

littlewashu
Nov 25, 2007

Charles Carmichael always comes quickly.
12 1/2 inch sycamore wand with a dragon core, hard. And I got sorted into Ravenclaw.

I did flip a coin and it came up heads. I wasn't presented a choice, but I wanted Ravenclaw so it's all good. I really dislike the auto-name generation thing. None of my choices were very good. :/

Sauterne
Apr 11, 2008

DontMockMySmock posted:

I didn't even realize that some people had that option! When you had to pick between the 2 houses, was it something the sorting hat asked you after all the questions? Or was it like picking one of two cards, like the heads/tails question?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Sauterne posted:

I didn't even realize that some people had that option! When you had to pick between the 2 houses, was it something the sorting hat asked you after all the questions? Or was it like picking one of two cards, like the heads/tails question?

It's just like any of the other questions the Sorting Hat asks you.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.

I chose heads, because of the obvious association between heads, brains and intelligence. Are you sure you belong in Ravenclaw? :colbert:

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done
It's also possible that the sorting is actually using a coin flip to let fate decide between two houses and it's asking you to pick heads or tails. Perhaps those whose answers have so far reflected that they like to choose their own destiny are the ones who get to see what those houses are and pick one instead.

I got the heads or tails question as well and was put in Gryffindor. I don't remember, but I probably picked tails... I wonder what the other house was.

So which house looks too deeply into things? ;)

DasHangman
Feb 27, 2011

I'm the captain of the gravy train!
Just got into Pottermore as RookGhost25504. Shooting for Ravenclaw because Ravenclaw is awesome :smuggo:.

Edit: Spruce wand, fourteen inches, unicorn tail core, slightly springy. Also, got into Ravenclaw. :getin:

DasHangman fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 18, 2012

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

reflir posted:

I chose heads, because of the obvious association between heads, brains and intelligence. Are you sure you belong in Ravenclaw? :colbert:

UH-HUH, THE SORTING HAT SAID SO! :saddowns:

I don't know, I had some weird-rear end thought process that doesn't even really make sense to me. Whatever, it seemed to work out okay! V:shobon:V

Also, tails is Ravenclaw because Ravens have tails.

Blight
Jan 17, 2011
Ravenclaw! Didn't expect that. Well, feel free to add me: StonePumpkin11869

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
Goonmore database:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ahy3Ogy31wqRdEJzWWxjUkpkVmJyQUxfSVRNQjRRcmc

Nohtenki
Jan 8, 2008
You guys, I love this so much.

OakHolly21317, Ravenclaw, 11 inches, phoenix feather and ash, unyielding.

I actually did this twice because I got put in to Gryffindor the first time. I don't think I answered those questions honestly the first time. Interestingly my wand was the same both times.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Swordhowl9240 14" unyielding Blackthorn with a unicorn hair core. Slytherin naturally.

Fun use of an hour. I can't imagine why this took so very long to create though.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Hufflepuff! Ugh! I wanted Slytherin to be honest! Didn't even get a choice like some of you lucky folk.

At least I got a DRAGON CORE wand. That was awesome.

A Scary Little Dog
Mar 12, 2006

YIP YIP MOTHERFUCKER
Another Hufflepuff checking in, with my crested toad and hard 12 1/2" dragon rod alder wand. This is surprisingly fun to play at work. Brew a potion, do some work, check on the potion an hour later, work, win a duel with a 12 year old from the internet, work.

I can't wait til more of the content is available. :3:

hemp
Dec 18, 2008
So we've been waiting for this for over a year and there is still only the first book avaliable? What the hell?

Gryffindor, and a thirteen and a half inch hazel wand with a unicorn core. Surprisingly swishy!

Dopefish Lives!
Nov 27, 2004

Swim swim hungry

hemp posted:

So we've been waiting for this for over a year and there is still only the first book avaliable? What the hell?

Gryffindor, and a thirteen and a half inch hazel wand with a unicorn core. Surprisingly swishy!

They ought to put "NOTICE: POTTERMORE WILL DISAPPOINT YOU" right in the title or in the OP.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Dopefish Lives! posted:

They ought to put "NOTICE: POTTERMORE WILL DISAPPOINT YOU" right in the title or in the OP.

I wouldn't have even been disappointed if there was more than just the first book out. Even then "disappointed" isn't really the right word since I enjoyed what was available. Hopefully now that they've got the framework down it won't take too long to get the other books out, although really, I know better and won't be holding my breath.

I do wonder what they'll do with the other books, though. Like another quiz or something to determine your Patronus in the third book, maybe?

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

I do wonder what they'll do with the other books, though. Like another quiz or something to determine your Patronus in the third book, maybe?

You're expecting a Patronus?

gomababe
Oct 5, 2008
I got in as StormBronze4103 and into Hufflepuff house with a willow and unicorn hair wand that's 10 1/4 inches and quite flexible. I wasn't too surprised to be sorted into Hufflepuff though, I'm too nice for Ravenclaw :p.

I got through the first book in a couple of days and am trying my hand at potion making since I suck so much at spells. I'll probably drift off once I get bored until the second book is released though because there's not that much other stuff to do yet.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Bad Wolf posted:

You're expecting a Patronus?

It makes sense. Though maybe we have to wait until book 5?

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I'm definitely expecting new spells and new potions in the upcoming books. Maybe even a super difficult polyjuice potion that takes days to finish, but is necessary to get through the chapters. Also, the quizzes seemed to be the most popular part of the site, so I wouldn't be surprised if we see more of them later on.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

arioch posted:

It makes sense. Though maybe we have to wait until book 5?

Puns : Never apologize, never explain.

Dopefish Lives!
Nov 27, 2004

Swim swim hungry

Olivia42 posted:

Maybe even a super difficult polyjuice potion that takes days to finish, but is necessary to get through the chapters.

Please god, no. Unless they completely reprogram the potions minigame so the controls aren't total rear end, that's got to be the most unfun idea I've ever heard.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I've missed the quiz parts I think, or I don't remember them. Where were or are they located?

Blight
Jan 17, 2011

Anya posted:

I've missed the quiz parts I think, or I don't remember them. Where were or are they located?

When you choose your wand and your house.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."

Blight posted:

When you choose your wand and your house.
duh. I was thinking at the end of finishing each chapter, there was a quiz. Though, that would be pretty cool. I wish we could have read a little bit of the books we bought, I want to write a couple scrolls worth on defense against the dark arts.

kittiesgomeow
Oct 13, 2008

This avatar cost on average $27.
LumosMarauder53, Slytherin. Total surprise, but I love being in Slytherin now. :smug:

I got in to the private beta during the summer and like many rushed through the first book because I didn't know the second wasn't available. :( I didn't touch Pottermore for months and now have picked it back up during finals week (best or worst idea?).

I think what's really disappointed me about Pottermore is that I felt like this was supposed to be a social site, to connect with fans, etc, but social capabilities are incredibly limited, to protect the innocent children. That's fine, but I wish there was some option for those of us who know how the internet works.

I'll be creepily adding you people so I can practice some dueling. Has anyone else noticed how incredibly finnicky the potions are? "Sorry your potion failed because you did this wrong" but I definitely didn't. Just one more frustration with the site.

Is there any more word on the release of CoS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

The whole thing has been kind of a cluster gently caress. I was able to get into the closed beta and they've literally added no new content. Dueling works again and that's it.

• Locked thread