Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

"I can answer that. She doesn't like those scavenger spirits. They torture people and keep them from a good death. Lots of pain in dying to a spirit. Even if you are a colossal rear end, I wouldn't wish that on you Alec. You're lucky to have escaped. The man I saw didn't."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

"Then I can understand this Spirit, her work is honorable. If there is to be Death, it having meaning, is better than meaningless and worthless." Alec nods, ignoring the other comments, thinking of a specific death at that moment, and it's meaning.

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

"Well I guess that's the one thing we can agree on,"

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

"Vuoksi is said to be the Goddess of death itself." His voice takes on a different tone, as if he were reciting from a book he had read many times before. "She brings kindness and mercy to those who have died or are close to it. So, that she should bestow such safety and kindness on us seems to show just how dangerous those spirits were." The man that Isit mentions, tugs at his curiosity, but he doesn't seek to question her about it. He didn't want to trouble her further with having to repeat what sounded like an unpleasant experience.
"At least we are safe for now, thank the goddesses. I can only hope that all of our dreams do not become as eventful as these have been."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

"So that was the Dågon of Death? Ah, if I had known I was having so great a Warrior in my presence I would have done it more formally.

'Death might be unleashed, | but never feared,
For honor and duty live | while the body does not;
Death conquers all, | but only brave greet;
For those with honor find | a friend not foe.'"

Alec recites the verse flawlessly, and lets a moment of silence before continuing. "If you can summon a stone, can you summon a feasting Hall? So great a conqueror would be better served in a Great Hall. Oh well, it explains the good manners."

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 18, 2012

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"I don't know that anyone living has. Seen anything like this, I mean. It's all so confusing. Seems all folks have to go by is half-remembered lore." It once more called to mind her distant relative's bizarre theory. Indeed, in this context, it seemed quite a bit less strange. "Maybe Mr. Alec has the right idea; stands to reason that people might start to gather at the places of learning, to recall the distant past."

A pensive silence follows another cursory glance at their slumbering comrades. "One time there was a dispute over our pay. I can't say if he was lying or misremembering, but the landlord said we'd cracked a window that was broken when we arrived, and tried to dock our wages. My da, stubborn as he was, fought tooth and nail over it. Wound up getting the full sum owed, though after that the owner didn't renew our lease, so we had to move again. Life was kind of upside down, then, but da always said that no matter how crooked and twisted-up the world gets, you won't get lost, long as you stay true. Gotta be your own arrow, your own signpost, and so on. It's right, I think. When you've just ran afoul a dragon as you hunt for centaurs, it helps to have something, some purpose, to orient yourself by.

"Whatever else happens, this much still makes sense: I've got to find my brother."

Though she wore this simple fact about herself on her sleeve, there still came another contemplative pause. Finally, she scooted closer to Martin. "How about you? I know you said you'd rather not discuss your past further, but what about your future? What drives you to wake up — um, such as you do — in the morning?"

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 19, 2012

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

Trying to keep the annoyance out of her voice, Isit shakes her head. "Not a warrior, but a guide to all. She isn't a fighter, if she was dare say she'd rule the gods. She does her duty and doesn't care for glory. Better than then Ca..... Never mind. Probably shouldn't name what we may catch the attention of."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

"It took what little energy I had just to create that small pebble. I dare not imagine what great effort it would take to summon a whole building, especially so high up." He opens one eye and raises the hand he had felt the pebble 'land' on only moments before, staring at it for a moment. "A curious thing indeed. To think that I could create something through the power of my dreams. At least, I hope it was. If it turned out to be a creation of mine through magic...well...that would be quite concerning to say the least."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

"She does a duty and not for glory? I know how it would feel to do that very well. A Guide, so more Seer then Warrior. I feel as though I can understand what it would be like to be a spirit like her. Of course, I cannot turn into a Great Bird, or anything that she can do. Seers have just as much honor, not more than as a Warrior, and would need a great Hall to greet properly. It is a shame you cannot create a Hall then, Lor'El. I do not know if I can ever do my magic again, the other spirit has damaged me, it is just as well, I do not know how to fight it yet."
Alec trails goes off into thought.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Martin de Mignolet

Silently and solemnly, he considers the question for a moment. His reasons for being the man that he is always made sense in his head - but as skilled as he ever was with words the rest of the time, making his own raison d'etre sound right out loud was always difficult. In any case Martin preferred to do, to act, rather than consider the why of it - he had made a decision long ago, made solemn vows to himself and to whatever powers there were, and that was that.

"...nothing so nearly specific as you, I would think," he sighs after a moment, the words coming to him after seemingly fruitless searching in his mind. "I'm not looking for a person, or a thing, or anything like that. Were it so I could speak more easily. You love your brother, that's plain, yes? You'd give everything you have to find him, and make sure he's safe, yes?" Difficult as it was to do so in the dimness of the night, he looks Lette sharply in the eye, his face going deadly serious.

"Well, that is how I feel about people in general." His usually steely voice trembles just slightly, like a leaf. "I decided some time ago, as I became an adult, that the world is a heartless and cruel place. Even without the gods there was plenty of suffering to go around. We inflict it on each other as people; the world inflicts it on all of us too. I had a choice, or so I thought...I could go along with that, give in to despair and unkindness. Or...I could try to make it a little better, so that the meek need not live in fear, pain, or want. To try to make things a little closer to what it seems like they really ought to be, to make the world a bit more enjoyable for those with little to be joyful for. It's what I decided I wanted. My choice. No one had to tell me to do it."

His expression softens somewhat, but the eye contact remains. "Does that make sense? I know it seems a bit overly sentimental, you know? I just want things to be better. Even if it's only a little bit, even if it's a drop in the sea. The cloak flowing in the breeze, the witty banter and the acrobatics, most of it is just so I can have a little fun while I try to go about doing this impossible thing I've sworn myself to. It's an act, even though it's part of me. Helps keep me from becoming a real lunatic." With a shrug and a sheepish grin, he concludes with, "I hope you don't find that all to be crazy."

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

"She is a goddess, and probably far beyond being labeled as a seer, or any other human title for that matter." With a yawn, she lies down. She dearly wanted to continue her little fight with Alec, but even she knew that they were all too weary for that. Next time he whined about how awful her country was she'd let him have it. Otherwise they only had to work together. "Night all."

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

She shook her head. "Crazy? Not at all. It just sounds... I don't know the word. It's kind of up in the air, right? Not always... concrete, I guess? I think it's a fine sentiment. But I don't know if I could live an ideal quite like that. Had I the strength to protect all, maybe I'd feel differently. Or... maybe not. I'm sorry, I'm not gifted with words. Or maybe it's my thoughts that are unclear."

Lette pauses, trying to articulate her vague, incipient reflections. "It's to say... if you take your goals from a given circumstance, they're lost once it's resolved, yes? And until the next, you're once again... suspended, I suppose, until another immediate need arises? I guess that's something that I don't understand." In a passing thought, Lette considered whether this might be the result of their very different lives and upbringings.

"For the time your path has a need, it's distinct. There is something that needs to happen. That's what makes world make sense to me. In the end, whether the something is clear or not, it always comes down to that one thing, that one person. Does that make sense?"

Considering that maybe she was coming off overly critical, she offers him an encouraging smile. "I don't know if it's impossible, as you say. Maybe. But for all your eyes can see it surely has some truth to it, some possibility. If you do mean to include all people, you might need to be everywhere. But for where you are, for what you can do at any time, I do think you've picked a fine purpose, even if I don't quite grasp parts of it."

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Apr 19, 2012

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

"Goddess is simply a title too, Seer is a role, like Warrior or Guide. It does not matter, I doubt we shall meet again, if we do I will ask. Their Sagas must be long indeed." Alec did not sleep in the dream but simply looked up remembering. A voice from time long ago music in his mind, before his eye shut out the light.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Apr 19, 2012

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

"Not always concrete. Yes, I think that sounds right. I suppose it's easier for you than me, the reason you do what you do, at least in the short-term. Sometimes it is hard for me to find the best way to help people. Sometimes things go badly, sometimes I don't know what to do. I keep going though." He sighs almost wistfully.

"It's alright if it doesn't make much sense to you. I mean, it does not make sense to me all the time either! When you look at everything, though, when you look at the whole world, it is hard for me to say that anything else makes much sense at all either."

"Tell me," he continued inquisitively, speaking softly, "when you find your brother, what will you do then? Will you just go home, or do you not know yet? I guess maybe it's a hard question to answer, but have you given it thought?"

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

Lette purses her lips to one side, hesitating. Finally: "I've given thought to little else, truth be told. After that, I hope to try to go back to living as a family, wherever that is possible. There isn't really a 'home' to speak of. Noah seems a fine city, though; maybe there? He's young yet; I imagine if I work enough, I might get him enrolled in a school. It's a different sort of life, but probably one better suited to the new world."

She turns her gaze down, toying with the end of her tunic. "Each of us, we're all the other has, now. Maybe the means are not always certain, but the ends are clear. And once life settles, well... I can't predict what I'll pursue from there. I think I've planned as far as anyone may, at least."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

"Well, who knows? Maybe he will be on the way and the two of you can have a good reunion," says Martin with a smile and a laugh, slipping back into his more comfortable, cheerful demeanor. It was almost as if the previous bits of conversation hadn't happened.

"I'm sure whatever happens, you will find something that works for you."

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

She grinned. "I appreciate it. I'm sure you'll figure out ways to extend your boundless good will to the multitudes." Her grin became a smirk. "Mayhap that part of your road could lead you right back to some leadership role. A merchant, or some civic governor. For all that you left that behind, you seem like you might enjoy the role more if won by your own merits. Self-made, as they say."

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
This time, the hours unroll without much else to distract or threaten the lives of anyone, either ensconced in a hidden dream or keeping watch so that the former don't get their throats cut at half towards dawn. Those that decide to while away the hours of safety by trying to sleep within a dream find simple oblivion- pure, dreamless unconsciousness. It seems restful enough, at least, given that by the time Alec and Lo'el are roused they feel at least as rested if not moreso than they should be- they go straight from true unconsciousness to being awake in the fields when the time comes and Martin and Lette rouse them, without passing back through the cloud. The waking world is as quiet and peaceful as anyone could ask; even the fainter birdsong died off over the hours.

Alec finds the black feather resting on his neck, half-tucked under his clothing. It, at least, seemed to have no trouble following him as he woke.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"Everything well?" Lette asked, remembering to reclaim her blanket from Alec. "No more trouble?" The tremor in her voice was extremely faint, but still she could not conceal it.

"Those others have kept their distance, to their word."

I guess it is time to see What Dreams May Come.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

Alec stretches and seems satisfied gathering his things and notably attaching a string through the black feather and holding it close to his heart, as a thoughtful gift should be. Alec nods to Lette and says "All is well, well as well as it could be. I guess we will watch them and wait, to see if they get braver."

Alec leans against his spear, and sits and listens, watching lette and martin walk Lor'El and start the watch during the dark blackness of the late night.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Lette knows exactly where she is. A hundred yards from the chest, and it might as well be a mile. There wasn't any safety this time, and Gil was alone among the nightmares. She'd hidden. Burrowed, really, under a pile of firewood with just enough slits for her to see everything that happened. Sure, the people were... foggy. Undefined. But she'd seen this before, knew how the nightmare went. It never stopped hurting, never stopped taunting her with what if- what if she'd been a little slower, what if she'd taken a little more time to figure out what needed doing before she started to do it. What if she hadn't been there. What if Gil had been alone, and thought they'd all abandoned him. Bad enough that what happened, happened, without also the poor boy having nobody to comfort him. To keep his mouth shut, whatever it took, even if it all went... wrong, later.

She could hear him crying, even though nobody else did. He was trying to stifle it. He couldn't. Every half-sob, every broken whimper of fright at what was going onto his parents, she heard as though Gil was right there beside her. But she couldn't help. Even if she tried, the wood was heavier than it had been going in, and it was all 'round her. It squeezed her, crushed her, took her breath away- she couldn't even move, all she could do was lay there with her eyes pinned helplessly to the sobbing chest as the things that had been her parents got ever closer to the chest. They were... they looked happy. Carefree. They were playing with the house, wrecking it, smashing things just to see what kind of pretty noise they'd make. It was all wonderful fun, and soon they would get to Gil and... well, there, even Lette's nightmares usually feared to tread. This was... more real than the others. The wood bit into her skin, her eyes wouldn't keep clear of the burning wetness that kept trying to fog them up each time Gil failed to smother a quick cry for what had been his mother. She was... helpless.

---

Martin, too, knows exactly where he is. He's home. Every street, every dirt path of Wallin was one he'd seen at day and run by night. There were no secrets. The buildings, the castle on the hill, all matched the image he held in his mind's eye every day... but it wasn't right.

The steward's frog-faced glare lanced down from hastily thaumaturgical copies of his portrait, hung on every wall. They all seemed to stare at Martin. The Baron's Head pub, on the corner- its old name had been hastily crossed out, and the family coat of arms taken down. That pub had had the right to use it for centuries, part of a long standing tradition, and it was gone. The crowds moved, brushing by Martin as though he were a barely-tangible wraith that merited no notice past the bare essential of not trying to walk through him. Everyone looked down, not at each other. There was no joy in Wallin, and everything looked... shabby. Run-down. Poor- either nobody had money for any but the most tattered of rags, or nobody dared show they had it for fear of it being taken away. The market sold food. Not much. Not good. Which was fair, because few seemed to be able to buy at prices that would have beggared freemen a year prior.

Martin finds himself drawn to the market, the funereal march of thin and gaunt people through what had been a bustling center of commerce flush with food. There's a whispering in the air- people talking in hushed voices, trying to avoid being overheard. It was Martin's home. And it was wrong. Surely things couldn't have... gotten that bad... this soon?

---

Outside, Lette and Martin appear to go to sleep without much issue, and the cool night air rustles grain as faintly as could be. The faint sound of birdsong barely sounded in the still, night air- overhead, at least one thing is comforting to both the men from far-off places. The same stars look down on this foreign field as looked down on Lo'el's forest, or Cherusciten itself; the same patterns, the same stories about who and why the stars appeared the way they would. Night watch was always boredom, until it was utter terror. After the day they'd had, perhaps Alec and Lo'el deserved to be bored.

---

Lo'el and Alec faded from their places on the cloud.

Nobody replaced them.

---

PRESENTS!!! Sure it has only been 2 IC days and sure I am giving presents like a drunken uncle, but Everybody gets a 10 CP bonus partly because I dearly love long philosophical conversations!

Oh yeah and Lette failed her nightmare roll.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

As if in a daze, Martin stepped slowly through the worn-down streets of his old home, wide eyes moving in all directions in disbelief. This was almost an impossibility...but it felt all too real, his worst fears confirmed. Always, there had been a part of his mind that told him: if you leave, things can only get worse. Give in, give up, run away, and everything you worked towards could perish. How could this have happened so soon, though? How could this be? His family name not even fit to be displayed in public only weeks later? All the people - proud before - now broken? Absurd. Absurd, and yet real. Fear and doubt on every corner, fear and doubt that slowly took hold of his own mind.

Looking nearly white as a sheet, half-panicking, he eventually finds it in himself to confront the nearest person. Struggling for words in his despair, Martin can only manage - desperately - to ask one question: "What...happened here?"

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

Night watch was the least interesting thing Alec ever did, usually they would play a game, either to see who could see the furtherest or guess the noise. The lack of a fire was felt dearly at this time, since it was pinch black. The starlight leaving a soft blue overcoat over the land, after a while, you thought you could see in this strange world, but rarely could you really. Alec regularly walked to each bed and checked each person without waking them up, and as if by hourglass, circled the camp slowly after 30 minutes.

When he had first woken up he had motioned for Lor'El to stay silent, after circling the camp once, he was convinced at least they would not be disturbed and began whispering to Lor'El. "So why do you pray to a "goddess," you have hands and fee-hooves to use, why not just work harder and earn it?"

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

He shifts and groans slightly as his mind finds it's way back to his sleeping body. The rustling of cornstalks in the night wind make him rise from his blanket as Lette and Martin drift to sleep and Alec conducts a sweep of the camp. He throws his blanket over his shoulders, adding another layer of warmth to himself, and sits in the dirt with his staff resting against his shoulder.
He had stood watch for the herd before, so rising at such a strange hour, although uncomfortable, was not completely foreign to him. All the men took it upon themselves to take turns watching the herd at night, so few were their numbers. Less then one hundred. He could easily name and describe each of their faces.

But with a bright fire, countless books and his flute to play to his heart's content, keeping watch at night had almost been enjoyable. But now there was no fire to light his journal and no songs could be sung for risk of attracting further attention. At least Alec was awake to share in his boredom.

"It is not that we do not earn it ourselves, as you say." he says, keeping his voice low to match Alec's whisper. "You respect these Cherus and Weß, yes? Well, it is mostly the same with us. My people respect and honor Dinym, much like the other peoples of this world respect and honor the other gods." He runs a hand over his horns and sighs. Trying to explain something that seemed so simple to him was a lot harder to put into words then he had first imagined.
"We pray in times of need. Sometimes our prayers are answered, sometimes not. I have personally never counted on them before and have tried to be as self-reliant as I can." He stares out into the cornfield before raising his eyes to the stars. "Tonight was the first time I had so desperately prayed since I was a young faunling." He lowers his eyes back to the field. "These people worry me. If they are simple bandits then they would attack, yes? If not, then why do they not move along in fear that we would be just as deadly?"

His ears catch the faint sound of bird calls on the wind and he smiles before moving his lips to imitate the avian's song. At least this and talking were two things he could do to keep himself entertained.

Mimicry (Bird calls) - 14

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

Lette is overcome by a sense of familiarity, a deja vu. How can this be? This is indisputably the worst, the strangest moment of her life. It is utterly without precedent. How can pain and terror and confusion on this scale possibly be familiar?

The table lies smashed to flinders. Just this evening they had broken bread at it and discussed their move south, barely a week away. An overturned shelf slouches nearby. Her ma's book of the hour — A Rekindling in the Sky, some new interpretation of certain starsigns and their interactions — is barely visible poking out the edge. And further across the room... they continue to revel in wanton destruction, joyous wickedness. The twisted, vague forms, no longer recognizable as their parents, draw ever closer to her brother's hiding place. Each time Gil sobs, Lette hates herself the more. Why isn't she there with him?

...Had she not moved towards that chest too? The last few moments had passed so quickly. It is hard to recall when she had changed course.

No time to reflect on it: the time for hiding has passed. She wipes her eyes, blurring each time they try to focus on the figures, and presses against the wood, hunting for a way out. It is almost unfathomable how she had even situated herself in this mess.

Lette redoubles her efforts, cursing the wood under her breath in the harshest language she'd ever been warned not to use: 'unbecoming,' she'd heard the expressions called. But then, this situation itself is 'unbecoming.' The word almost seems, on its own, to describe what had happened to her parents.

"Move, move, move," she grunts, bursting into another round of profanity. Once she erupts from the pile, she'll... well, that much isn't clear. Fend them off? Perhaps draw them away. But then what?

Doesn't matter. They are almost there. She throws all of her weight against the wood, sharp edges and rough textures digging into her — and when all of it is brought to bear, she throws more, and still more. Such is all she can do.

More points, you say? Just as Lette is struggling against an unmoving dream barrier? This seems like a good time for don't-give-a-poo poo panic-induced Will purchase! Will 13, Sheet updated.

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Apr 19, 2012

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

Alec mulls over the first part of the talk, and comments "They are here and want something, or someone, we maybe them, or just in the way. That is what I think." Alec listens to his imitation of a bird call, and smirks "Trying to pass the time? Without a fire it is hard."

Without much pause Alec tackles something that he has been wondering for a while, "All this talk of Gods and Goddess has me wonder, has anyone asked simply, why they want to be here? Who spawned them, and for what purpose do they want us. Vuolksi for example is the Spirit of Death, did she choose this path? If it is a duty who gave it to her? Since we KNOW she is there and exists, then why not just ask her? Why even bother with mortals at all? It seems to me that to be a god or goddess as you call them would be very lonely, and very strange. I have seen these people's temples, and wonder about them, if I go there when we return and tell them what I have seen would they believe or be able to tell? If they cannot, then they have no purpose, since they know not the mind of the Spirit. If so why would a Spirit spend such effort at all on something that will die in but a blink of time to them?"

Alec trails off into questions, his real question not asked, for he didn't know how to phrase it. A meeting of spirit and flesh was human was it not, so were these simply a spirit with flesh or are we without the spirit part at all. Alec chews it over in his head, not thinking anyone had any of the answers.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

He breaks off from his imitation, rubbing his bruised cheek gently with his hand. When morning came and provided some light, he would have to see if there was anything he or the others could do to reduce the swelling.
He listens to Alec intently, letting the man finish before opening his mouth in another whisper. "Certainly some good questions Alec. Although, I sadly cannot provide any real answers to them. How the gods came to be is not a story I have heard, nor one that I have found in any book so far. Perhaps when we return, I will be able to take some time to gain a better understanding of such things myself."
He spares a glance to their resting companions, looking for any sign of troubled sleep even though he is largely unable to see much in the dark. "I can only hope that they have found the same sanctuary in their sleep as we had."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

"I cannot tell, I will go check in a few minutes." Alec mulled over the question and then said "I think that your Gods and Goddesses are Spirits, I will have to talk more in length with them before I decide. I am sure, like flesh and bone, they are all different. We know that these exist, so that isn't the question. The real question is the purpose and what they want, and how we should treat them. I will treat them as my sagas say, as I have been, and will see. I am not sure it is simple as I was told." Alec mulls it over in his head and the goes up to check on the sleepers, and then circle around the outside of the camp slowly.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

The tall grass rustles, and just for an instant the hairs on Alec's arms stand up and the primitive little thoughts at the back of his head have the intense feeling that he's being Watched, or at least paid close attention to. The feeling passes as quickly as it came, leaving the two again apparently alone on the nighttime plain. Both Lette and Martin have grimaces on their face as they sleep, though both don't appear to be any great discomfort. Lo'el's bird calls seem to not draw any new replies.

---

Floating on, the cloud is surprisingly peaceful, though the failure of others to appear is somewhat worrying given that it's been a half hour or so since Alec and Lo'el 'left'. The view's great, at least. They're over a big city- could even easily be Noah, or at least some dreamtime representation of that town that's meant to anchor them in a familiar spot. With near-privacy, Dolan gets the signature flush of heat behind his eyes- but cautiously and very slowly. No pink mist emerges, but he can feel the second presence in his mind as it peeps out to see what's going on in the aftermath of frightening combat.

---

Lette strains. She knows what needs to be done- she needs to get out of the woodpile holding her, so that she can... do something. What, exactly, is not quite clear, but remaining quiet and safe in her suffocating hidey-hole is not an acceptable option. The young woman strains to push wood away despite her awkward position. There's no leverage, no way she can move her arms and legs in the tiny space to get much of a push on the timbers. It feels like she's being buried, crushed into submission while watching her old life being torn apart. But that's not acceptable either. Lette focuses, desperate to escape what increasingly feels like a coffin, and her mind and "body"- if that has meaning in this dream world- work together. Something clicks in Lette's mind and she can feel a surge of strength she hasn't felt before.

The wood splinters, shattering as Lette punches through it and drags herself back into the open air. It could just be splinters, but the logs she'd been laying on feel as though they're grasping futilely at her legs, beseeching her to stay down entombed with them. She escapes, though with a slightly drained feeling and with far more fanfare than she would have hoped. They're all looking at her, now, ignoring the muffled sobs of Gil. One of them- neither her mother or father, happily- is at the chest, caressing it with unnaturally long, tapering fingers that bend in more places than a finger ought, with dark gray skin stretching like leather. It leers at her with a twisted mouth. They all do- Lette has their undivided attention, though with one of them right near the chest that's not much help to Gil.

---

"You left." A woman behind him says, briskly. An elegantly dressed but somewhat plain woman with a long silver ponytail stands a few feet away, unbuffeted by the crowd. "You knew what sort of man the steward was, and you more or less ceded this county to him. Can you be surprised that he turned out to be a poor ruler when he resorted to treachery to remove you from his path?" The woman smiles slightly, gray eyes twinkling and pointed ears rustling under a white hooded cloak. "But never mind that. You wished to help people, I understand. A noble goal. But there are sacrifices involved in that." When she smiles, it doesn't reach her eyes. Those stay cold and remote, and her teeth seem- despite being human teeth- to have the impression of fangs when they show.

"Sister did find an interesting group, didn't she? So many fascinating people. I'll have to thank her." She smiles again. "Especially you. I typically prefer wolves to those referred to as foxes, but it's close enough. Tell me-" Her ears prick, and she looks off to the side with a harassed-looking grimace. "-well, you do have some interesting friends, don't you? Perhaps it would be better for us to talk about how I can help you help your people in a more comfortable setting. My home, then- but I fear I'll have to suppress your memories, there's too much of a sensitive nature I can't trust you with quite so early there." Before Martin can interject, the dream-woman snaps her fingers- and Martin's memories of the dream cut off abruptly.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

The wood gave way, and Lette found herself under the direct scrutiny of the undefined things. This was that Now What she had dismissed a moment before. It had seemed so much more inviting from afar.

"Gil, don't make a sound, d'you hear?" She did not give any facial or bodily cue to indicate whom she was addressing. Maybe they still hadn't heard the crying over their own crashing din. Maybe they didn't have the sense to parse whatever they did hear.

Maybe they would need a more striking distraction.

"Whatever you are..." Scooping up a block off what remained of the pile, Lette circled them, moving between their position and the side door. Finally, she hauled off and winged it at the one beside the chest. "Get out! GO!" These are not my parents. Not Adam nor Hannah Hirthal. Wherever they are, it is not here before me right now. Again and again, she repeated the mantra in her own mind.

It was all she could do to keep outright panic at bay.

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Apr 20, 2012

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

Alec walks past Dolan, checking for breath and most importantly any sign of being disturbed. He stops mid step and looks very carefully from side to side, and then as an afterthought up to the heavens. The feeling passing, he assumes that whatever it was, lost interest or more hopefully, saw him and was deterred. Alec leans down to Dolan to make sure that whatever it was did not steal his breath, as some spirits were sad to do, but he felt the long exhale on his hand, and knew that it was fine. Alec completed his round of the camp, and came back to Lor'El's spot.

Alec had mulled over Gods, and Goddesses for a while, but realized an important question unasked. "In all my life, I have never seen a spirit, I have seen monsters yes, and slept under these stars in many a land. Why do they now focus on us you think? If this land has any sanity, we would be but one of many trying to help it." Alec realizes that the poor faun never really waxed poetic with him right back, so he figured he would change it to something he liked. "Beyond that, you ask of my people, I will tell you, if you have the time, no song, but story."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

As Alec takes another walk of the camp to check on those who slept, the faun wraps his blanket tighter around his shoulders to keep off the chill. He raises his ears to listen for any further noise in the field but soon lets them drop again, coming to the conclusion that their mysterious watchers must be taking this time to rest themselves.

He looks up to the northerner as he returns, half expecting there to be a problem with the others, only to look back to the field as the man starts casually speaking in hushed tones again. "A strange thing indeed." he replies. "I can partially understand why Dinym would answer my calls, given the severity of the situation. But, Vuoksi..." He sighs, scratching his thigh absentmindedly. "Maybe we will be blessed enough to ask them in person, should we find ourselves in their company again. It is said that the gods know more then we mortals can ever hope to understand, so perhaps we are an important thread in a pattern that they can see and we cannot."
The thought of being a person of any importance to the gods sends a sudden chill down his spine and he can't help but be relieved when Alec turns the conversation.
"I would be blessed to hear of your people Alec. I believe we have nothing but time on our hands." He stifles a sudden yawn and curses the lack of light for him to write down Alec's stories. Sitting up and listening intently, he decides to simply remember as much as he can and write it down when the morning came.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

Dolan stirs on the cloud slightly. Sleep here was... well it was restful, at the very least. The warmth and the quiet was nice after the rest of the evening's events. Alec seemed to be taking his brush with not just death but non-existence rather hard, but he couldn't fault the man. The northerner would have to get used to the fact that he was in another land, though, and that customs and legends here were not the same as he was used to back home. The need to worship gods and spirits was a strange notion to Dolan, but it seemed to give people strength, so he couldn't deny it to them.

As if summoned by that thought, he feels that presence invading his senses again. It was stronger here, he knew now, able to manifest itself in at least voice and some power if not physically. So just who are you, anyway? Nadym, come to wrap my body in pink silken clouds? Caria, come to grant me some power just to snatch everything away when I need it most? Or are you one of those-- those scavengers?

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

With a moment's thought, Alec stares up to the starry sky before standing before Lor'El and unsheathing his sword, and laying it respectfully on a blanket in front of both of them, before returning to his seat. "I think then it is best I tell you about this sword of mine. It has a story which I cannot tell without telling you of the beginning. Since you do not know your own, I will tell you mine."

Clearing his throat he began, his eyes staring into the depths of the sky. "In the beginning there was but darkness, black and formless. As the sky is now, only without the stars, the heavens were black and there was no sea, nor rock, nor tree, nor soil. In this darkness was a great bird, they called the bird Urale. We know it has feathers as brown as the richest soil and was so large that a feather could block out the sky. Urale laid an egg in the darkness as it had done for time before memory, or song. This time a Spirit saw the egg and formed a plan. The Spirit whose name we do not know, decided to kill the egg before another could hatch, for it had been in the darkness long and knew no pleasure nor company amongst the darkness."

With a pause, Alec drank slowly from his waterskin, gesturing to the sky, he continued, "We call this the Spirit of Desire, it appeared to the Great Mother Urale and spoke to it softly whispering that it's egg was in danger, to spin around and attack it's Enemy the great Serpent Jörmungandr of which all the Wurms are spawned. It's tooth has a venom that kills anything it touches before even great Urale knew of death, and thus the great Urale was indeed afraid. Urale spun around in it's great nest of feathers, and found nothing behind it. The Spirit of Desire whispered again in her ear that the Great Wurm had slipped behind it again, and the great Urale spun again in her nest of feathers again, this time though panic beset her, and her foot smashed into her great egg. The Egg was not like an egg of a fowl you or I might find, for it's blood was water and the ocean did flow from it surrounding and filling the great nest. The yolk fell upon the sea and land and from this, do Man, the Beasts, the Dågon, and the trees come. The yolk that washed into the ocean created the fish and the monsters of the sea. The shell? Created the rock and bone of the world, the trampling pushing it high into the sky in some places and deep into the nest of rich brown feathers in others. The other pieces flew off into the night sky, creating the stars we see today. We know not what became of those pieces nor can we reach them so it is as it should be."

He paused and listened into the darkness for a moment and then continued. "Man was not how he is today, he was a beast, and he got along with the other beast and Dågons. The Greatest of the Dågon, the Jötnar, or in your tongue, the Frost Giants, arose, and in the cold new land became masters. They ruled over the lesser beings, but there was no death, food in the early time was everywhere. It is said that even the Wolf could eat from the tree. The Jötnar and their Ice Fortresses reigned in the darkness, for the world looked as it does now. Man was weak, and lived in fear in caves with no Hope and knowing only Fear. It is said that Dågon are the children of the Spirits, that is why there are so many different ones. The first Dågon were formed at first by the Spirit of Desire, and these Jötnar were greedy as well, wanting all under their domain. We would have them here to this day if the Great Serpent Jörmungandr had not heard the cries of panic and anger from Urale, and it came to this new World. It saw what the Spirit of Desire had done and unleashed it's Wurms, showing that it would take it's name so careless used, who brought fire to this world, Jörmungandr, itself slipped into the great ocean and swam among it for a very long time. It was not until the Jötnar themselves had been reduced to but one fortress far to the north was Jörmungandr's great hunger sated."

"During this great fight between Dågon and Wurm, Man and Beast knew no anger or Death. The fires of the Wurms brought Man out from his cave and allowed him to stand amongst them. It was not long however, before more Dågons came. Again Man, hid from the new beasts, other Spirits stole the secret and created their own. Some where Man-Wolfs, who infected man with wolfen bodies when the Spirit was around. This is how the world was, and Man had no Courage, nor Honor, nor Mind. It said, that Mind came to man first, it is not know who, but a Man found that Sheep could be used for warmth, and taught this to his people. Soon, they stole the fire from the Wurms, and they had Light in their caves but they had not Courage or Honor."

Alec slowly rises and smiles to Lor'El nodding silently that he would patrol the camp, and crouches slowly to walk around the camp. Check on everyone as he does. Finally returning to Lor'El and taking a drink of water again.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 20, 2012

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

The faun sits in silence and gives Alec his full attention, only turning his ears now and then to listen for any sign of movement from the field. When none is found, he turns his ears back to the story and nods along. Even in the dark star-filled night, it would be easy enough for Alec to sense the childish, wide-eyed look of interest that was fixed to the faun's face. Never had he heard of Alec's people before he had met the man himself. Such a detailed history and different way of life... And he could not recall seeing mention of their name nor their lands in any book he had read before. Such a rich history left untold to many...
"Fascinating." He says at long last as Alec returns back after another patrol. "Tell me Alec, to your knowledge, has the history of your people ever been written down? In books, I mean. If not, I would certainly like to write such a book myself, when the proper time is allowed to us of course."

He takes a swig of his own water, only to notice that a small portion remains and stows it back in his bag, deciding to save it for the morning and to also hunt down some source of fresh water. "Most interesting. 'Wolfen bodies', you say? It sounds much like the stuff of nightmares." The types of nightmares of which he was no stranger to anymore. "And was this when these Cherus and Weß, that you speak of, came to your people?"

A Velociraptor! fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 20, 2012

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

As Alec drank he answered the fauns questions, "The Empire has a book, written by a Cnaesus, it is old and poorly written, but it contains such that I learned this language and how to speak it. Our LoreKeepers have scrolls and tablets of bone and stone, and our Seers... they have stranger things still. The Man-Wolf is said to live to this day, though no one knows how they come to be, or how to cure them. Now Listen and you will hear the where they came in."After finishing his water, he looked at Lor'El and waited a moment in silence to hear if there was any movement. Satisfied that there was nothing happening in the background Alec continued his tale of the sword still sitting in front of both.

"These new Dågons were far smaller, but much cleverer than the Jötnar. These each had their own want and own temptation. Man had started to fight back against them, but they only strayed as far as the cave entrances, with their spears and rocks. They used something like the strap for rocks you have. They emerged to gather what they could for food then returned before the Dågons saw them. This was the world that Weß was born into. Man had never defeated the beasts, and there was no Death, it was only more life, more people in their caves. It is said that Weß was born as any other Man, naked, screaming into the dimly lit firelight. His Mother is never spoken of, Cherus himself says that she died shortly after. Weß, himself, bared the pain or sorrow to only himself. His father, Weß said that he only had no honor and thus meant nothing and was nothing, for a Father does not give his son greatness nor dishonor. As a boy, Weß, did not understand Fear, and thus wandered far from the cave, bringing the light of Fire with him. His spear and torch his only guide into this new world. Though Death had not touched the world yet, Dågons could die, as they were spirits, and would fade back to the domain of the Spirit. I do not know of their Domain, only that it is not a place I can travel, nor do the dead unless like Spirits they become too obsessed on the world of the Living. It said, that Weß is the first to discover the Marrow of the World, the same thing that sword is made of, he made his own weapons, the first Sword, and first real Spear. He also made Chain, it was different, made of ring instead of these." Alec showed the small squares on his armor. "Weß spent ten years in the mountains forging and learning the Marrow or Iron as you call it. It was only when he had perfected it did Weß set on the journey to return home. Weß came back to the caves and smiled upon them giving them weapons and chain. 'We have no need for Fear, follow me, and come out into the world.' Thus is how Courage came into the world. When they first walked with Weß, it was dark as it is now."

He looks off into the distance as if trying to find something and looking above him in the dead of the night. It was a time of saga and legend more than any other. Alec started again, with a bit whisper and more serious tone than before.

"As Weß moved among them the Light increased, and it became as though it was dusk, the Courage itself lit the way for the People. Where the Light touched the person was born, and it was there that Weß pointed to a great hill and said 'There is where our home will be out among the Beasts and Dågons.' His Courage strong he did not need walls nor a cave anymore. People had his Courage but also Fear, and thus Weß gave them tools to build their caves where he said. Weß did not need shelter, nor a Hall, he sat at the top of the hill in a large throne, his Courage so strong that not even the rain nor snow could get near him. It is said to be in his presence is to be in the middle of a fire, and not be burned. It is from there that the took a wife and taught the People of Courage, and a little of Honor. At the time, the enemy of the Dågon was so great there was but only one Code of Honor: Kin may not fight Kin. Even without Death, this was the one tenet that Weß had and taught. Weß is said to have 3 children from his wife Freyja, Rugi, Gepid, and Cherus. Cherus tells that Rugi was aggressive and the oldest, Gepid the quiet calm one who was solid and strong, and Cherus, the youngest, but most interested in Weß' teachings. Weß taught them the same, yet each one took it differently. Rugi, the smallest, thought that this meant that it was his duty to prove that he had Courage, he drove back the Jötnar on the ice fields in the north until he and his family claimed it. Gepid, the largest and toughest, thought it meant that he must build a fortress to stand the test of time, and cleared out the mountains to the east and claimed the hard land as his own. Cherus took it to mean that all should be protected and safe. He cleared out the area around the city itself and helped the people learn how to live. It was not long before the 3 became their own peoples, the north hard and quick to attack, the east strong and quiet. Cherus as we are honorable, and hard working, not looking toward the future or dreaming, but instead working the present."

Alec looks around and motions that he will again patrol the camp making sure that the others are safe. He walks the perimeter and checks each person for any sign, one time, he freezes thinking he heard movement, but it turns out to be nothing, and he quickly returns to Lor'El's position on the log.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 20, 2012

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

He lays down his staff on the ground next to him and draws his knees up to his chest, wrapping his arms around his furry legs to keep himself mildly warm.

It was times like these that almost made him wish that the warm fur extended to his entire body. Almost. A sudden image comes to him of a beast he had often feared since the stories were told to him. A twisted creature with horns longer then any fauns and a face not of a man but that of a large goat, it's eyes, cold and dead and not a portion of it's hideous body left untouched by thick, dark fur... Another chill runs down his spine and he quickly decides that suffering the cold was a bearable sacrifice if it meant he could avoid becoming such a despicable creature. Satyr... Even thinking the word in his mind made him feel sick.

Shaking the thoughts from his head, he snaps himself back to reality just in time for Alec to rejoin him after another patrol. "What a grand tale, Alec. I only wish that we had a warm fire, good songs and some drinks to enjoy with it. Such things should be saved for stories like these." And yet a fire could not be risked, nor could a song be sung and the only good drink around was a small supply of water. It was a small price to pay though, considering the task they had undertaken.
"How do the others seem? I suppose that we cannot truly tell though unless they should start to toss and turn. As if our journey had not been tiring enough without these phantoms invading our dreams..."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

"If we had a Hall, it would be sung and it would be very late before it was done for sure. They seem fine, I do not see anything wrong with them, though, It is hard to tell. I am sure they said the same about me. Let me continue we are almost to the sword itself, it is a better thing to dream of then Spirits for sure." alec says as he pats Lor'El's shoulder and then seems to remember where he left off.

Alec hangs his head low, and then whispers a bit more mournfully. "It was then that the Rugii attacked the Gepidi, and Cherus was stuck between the two. Cherus refused to let either fight on his land, and the Gepidi struck back against them before either Cherus or Weß could speak to either. Weß cast out both clans in a single motion and unknowingly doomed both. A Spirit of unknown name took this offense in the new world and gave birth to a Dågon Death. For a Dågon is a child of a Spirit, therefore, Death is a Dågon. Death wracked the Rugii in their attempt to claim the mountains, the Gepidi great builders and strong walls held them off with any difficulty. Until a Spirit of Rage came to them, and offered them power if they would but kneel before him and worship him. Rugi always the most resentful and small brother did so at once. To his joy and Weß' horror his skin turned green and he grew to a great height stronger than any Man. His people did as he and thus became the Sons of Rugii. They pushed the Gepidi back to their strongest fortresses deep in the mountains. they dug into the rock itself to escape and became like young Man. Until the Spirit of Stone came to Gepid and said that he would give them the power to resist them. Gepid agreed and knelt, the tallest he became shorter than Man but tougher than man and closer to the Stone. All his people did and the same happened to them, they had become the Son's of Gepidi, as Dolan is."

He gave a sigh and looked off into the distance, before continuing "They both became tools for the Spirits, that is why they must strive for honor more than a Man who does not have such Spirits in his blood. This is why I asked you, if you were Man turned, then it must be for some reason, and from a Spirit. If the Spirit of the Moon did it to you, it maybe a boon for some task, or some help for your own Clan's problem. I know not. Weß was angered by this death and it driving his suns to this extreme, and sat on his throne, he called for the Spirit who did this, and it appeared. The sagas do not name it. He asked 'Why have you unleashed Death upon us? You have taken our Kin from us, and all of the old ones.' The Spirit simply replied 'All things must end, even Man!' Weß stood up glowing brighter than he had ever done before. The throne burned away in his fury and Courage and the spirit itself ran into the sky and Weß followed. Weß became the sun, chasing the Moon, the prison of the Spirit. Sometimes, they will meet and Weß will fight the Spirit again. Some say, Weß has simply left due to the loss of honor and we are nothing to him, but Cherus said that he had never fallen in his father's eyes. Thus that is what we know of Weß, his light falls upon us every day. We know that Death has never claimed Weß for his light rises every morning, and he rests as night."

Finishing the mournful aspects of the story, Alec continues without the sorrowful voice. "Cherus taught us how to live and how to avoid the sin of kin strife. I live by his principles, as does every Warrior in Cheruscisten or anyone who claims to be a Wessenstedt Person. He gave us the Roles: Farmer, Warrior, King, Noble, Seer, Artisan. He showed us the way to honor, and kept us strong and the walls standing against the horde of Dågons. Cherus was visited by Spirits, himself, one day the wilds would not bear fruit, our gathers could not find food for their families nor the poeple. A Spirit of Hunger came to him and whispered in his ear to bow to it and there would be food always. Cherus remembering his brothers declined and instead used his spear and sword to cut the land, and then panted those that gave food. Then he told the People close to the Land to come and become a Farmer. 'You will feed us all, your Honor is in work and toil, and for it we will protect you and give you what you need to feed us.' And so it was. The people were saved, they made their own food rather than be given it. The came the Wurms eager to eat the animals and food now coming from the Farmers. The Spirit of Stone came to him and whispered in his ear 'I will make your Halls and Walls so strong that no Wurm could breach them.' Cherus did not reply, and instead called to the Men of Stone and the Men of the Spear and said 'Come Artisans you will make our walls strong and work hard to give our men weapons, and we will protect and feed you. Warriors you will be our walls where stone fails and we will feed and keep you warm among your halls.' So it was, and the Wurms were defeated. The Spirit of Greed came to Cherus at that moment and said 'Call yourself King and they will worship you, call yourself a God and you will live forever.' Cherus ignored the voice and went to the Warriors who had were the most honorable and clever and called to them 'You are our Noble, you will watch over the Artisan and make sure that we can trade with the other tribes and organize the Warriors.' Cherus turned to all the Peoples and said 'All of you may choose a Leader, he must be of great honor and great courage, if he does not, you from the lowest to the highest must take him down and teach him humility. Who is your first King?' Cherus waited, and they all said without exception 'Cherus be our King!' to which he replied 'Nay, for I am of Weß blood our old King, a Leader must be made, not born.' No one became King while Cherus lived, and none ever would let his son become one. "

With a pause he watches the edge of their small camp waiting for a moment and then continued. "One day a Horde came upon us, with a black banner, and a red hand. The Son's of Rugii were with them, and they all were lead by a Spirit. Even the Frost Giants came and fought. Cherus himself slew enough to cause a river of blood to the ocean, with his spear and sword, but still they came. Cherus alone could not stop them, and so he grieved the loss of his people. A woman came before him and very respectfully asked him 'Dear Cherus, I know you have suffered, but I will help you, I can give you the tools to stop them.' Cherus looked at the respectful woman and said 'You are no woman, but you come to me with respect, and thus I show you the same, what is your price for this?' The woman smiled and nodded 'Yes, I am not a woman, but I appear to you as such. My price is that you look at your people and realize there are more than Men here, that Woman suffer from the binds of slavery, when they could save you as well in this darkest hour. I would give you Magic to stop them all, to your people if you free your women, and listen to advice from them.' Cherus considered this said 'I will agree to this tool, but only my bloodline shall have it, my daughters will be our Seer, and guide us, and my sons will hold this should we need it again.' And so it was that Cherus defeated the great horde. His Magic stronger than what any had seen. He destroyed the army and his children all were granted it as well."

He reached down to the sword and stroked the hilt and smiled "Cherus had fourteen children, eight daughters and six sons. When the time had almost come for Cherus to leave this Land to follow Death to build a great Hall for the honorable dead. He stood atop a hill with his sword forged by Weß himself and said to his children. 'I will throw this, the only thing I will leave behind, into the ocean if any of you dive into the cold waters and retrieve it, it is yours for your children as long as they do the same.' He threw it, and Anar one of his sons retrieved it and brought it to him. With that Cherus burned his hall, and gave away all his possessions and left this world in a great fire upon the sea. He had not wanted to be worshiped. This was that sword. I dove into the waters of my forefathers and retrieved it. It is not magic, it has no powers, but Weß himself forged it, and Cherus used it. That is a story I have told you."

Alec gets up and picks up the sword wiping it before sheathing it again. After which he goes off to continue his perimeter check, and to check all of the sleeping members. Finally, ending his patrol and Alec sits next to Lor'El again mostly in silence.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 20, 2012

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

He sits in stunned silence as Alec finishes his tale and rises to take another walk around the camp. All the good stories had a certain twist or revelation at the end that the listener could not see coming, and this was certainly not one he had anticipated. He stares off into the corn field, ears tuned for any odd sound, until Alec returns again.
"So that-? And you are-?" He stops and collects his thoughts as questions tumble out of him. "You dove into the waters yourself? Had many others held it since this Anar? Are you a descendant of this Cherus then?" He lets out a long sigh and smiles. "A good tale indeed! I shall be certain to write it down so that more may learn of it. As for my own peoples origins... It is sadly a tale that has escaped us and with the outside world so ignorant of our existence, it leaves little hope that an answer will ever be known. The earliest knowledge tells of the herd being led across the lands during the Age of Beasts by the the Moon goddess herself. It is believed that she saved our lives, but I do not know if she was the one who gave us life."

He wraps the blanket tighter around himself, tail peeking out from below the covers and swaying in the dirt. "There is in fact a story of my people being offered a seemingly great boon once, back during the Age of Beasts. It is not known by who, perhaps a god or a powerful spirit, but my ancestors were offered a gift beyond our understanding. We believe it was magic, or something very close to it, a dark and tainted form of it. Much like your ancestors, many of mine took it, either through fear or desire for power. It changed them though, made them into twisted beasts and shadows of their former selves that slaughtered those who hadn't accepted the gift, believing them to be 'lesser creatures'. Satyrs they are called, they had the faces of goats and were driven to madness by this magic, said to feel nothing but the simplest desire to kill and survive. It was then that Dinym came, saved us and led us away to the forests and it is there that we have stayed ever since." He lets out a smile. "I believe I am the...fourth, that I know of, to have ever left since we had first arrived in the woods."

A Velociraptor! fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

Upon safe return he nodded to the Fauns question and immediately said "Cherus was my grand sire, of how many, I could list them but there are many over 40 names of my fore-bearers I had to commit to memory, when I enter Cherus' great Hall on my death I will list them all and show him that his line has continued honorably. The waters were cold and harsh but I was thirteen summers old when I dove into the water and grabbed the sword from it's rocky depths." Alec listens with intent as he relates how his people have lost their path "It is sadness worse than death to forget your past in my people's ways. A LoreKeeper, is something that Cherus never thought might be needed, little did he realize until his death that the old ones of the first Man would die as well. Now we keep track of it, lest we need our knowledge of the past to face the present. As now, the Seer guided me here, how I would fare, not even she knew, it is my duty to stop or help stop the spirits like last night."

Alec smiled as the Faun finished the tale he did know of his past. "Then you and I are the same in this, I am the few as well to leave the land of Cherus, Cheruscisten does not conquer nor does it seek to expand, we have seen what that twists Men too. This Empire is a lesson to itself, if anyone who lived in it would listen to it." Alec finishes and thinks on his counterparts many hundreds of miles north, sitting in the darkness,wondering if another beast would emerge and end his life.

• Locked thread