Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I would have been fine with that last panel if in the digital version it played the theme from the x-men cartoon.

Oh thank god, i thought I was the only one. I was overcome with nostalgia for a moment :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

HorseHeadBed posted:

I don't read a lot of comics, but the art in the Avengers vs X-Men #2 seemed egregiously horrible. The two teams facing off should be a BIG MOMENT, but they all look so strange that I just felt embarrassed for them all.

Did they just have Cyclops quote Ahmadinejad?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

TwoPair posted:

I get that anybody with "Hulk" in their name is gonna be pretty buff, just... check out Whilce Portacio's Red She-Hulk in this week's Incredible Hulk #7.

:stare: God drat.

I'm actually a fan of the writing, but Porticio has to go. The sooner the better. There was a "finisher" credited in this issue, what exactly does that person do?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Soonmot posted:

I'm actually a fan of the writing, but Porticio has to go. The sooner the better. There was a "finisher" credited in this issue, what exactly does that person do?

Finish drawing the pencils and ink them. It means the penciller only did rough layouts.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

HorseHeadBed posted:

I don't read a lot of comics, but the art in the Avengers vs X-Men #2 seemed egregiously horrible. The two teams facing off should be a BIG MOMENT, but they all look so strange that I just felt embarrassed for them all.

Is this... John Romita, Jr? It looks kinda like his stuff, only if somebody else inked it really badly.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."

Heresiarch posted:

Is this... John Romita, Jr? It looks kinda like his stuff, only if somebody else inked it really badly.

You can thank Scott Hanna. Why they had anyone other than Klaus Janson ink Romita in any situation, I will never understand.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Did they just have Cyclops quote Ahmadinejad?

What stood out to me was that he's somehow squinting his visor.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Dacap posted:

What stood out to me was that he's somehow squinting his visor.

He just got a shield to the face, and it's a dent.

In the AvX thread, people disagreed with me, but I thought this looked goofy as gently caress, not badass:

AvX #2

Even Magma looks like she is laughing behind his back.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

d00gZ posted:

You can thank Scott Hanna. Why they had anyone other than Klaus Janson ink Romita in any situation, I will never understand.

I'm guessing pricing.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Is it just me or has Cyclopes just been a monumental rear end in a top hat as of late? I guess someone has to be, now that Civil War is over with and Stark is...well, Stark.

IUG posted:

He just got a shield to the face, and it's a dent.

In the AvX thread, people disagreed with me, but I thought this looked goofy as gently caress, not badass:

AvX #2

Even Magma looks like she is laughing behind his back.

Hell, I can't stop laughing at him.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I love how the go to tactic for all the veteran fighters it to just charge at each other in a line.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
That first panel of the Avengers look like the Super Hero Squad (big-headed "little kid") versions. Romita can do better, but can a mediocre inker do that much damage?

Also, who is the guy fighting on the X-Men side who looks like the Shadow or another pulpy mystery man, all in white with the hat and mask and gun? Is he cool?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Rough Lobster posted:

I love how the go to tactic for all the veteran fighters it to just charge at each other in a line.

Even the people with projectile weapons are rushing forward. Is Cyclopes seriously charging Captain America, someone far stronger than he is, head on? Who the gently caress wants to tangle with Wolverine? We also had this discussion about where Wolverine's claws go (apparently here it's in his wrists and the left claw is half the size of the right claw).

The only thing that could make this page funnier is if Spider-Man was swinging in the last panel.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

That first panel of the Avengers look like the Super Hero Squad (big-headed "little kid") versions. Romita can do better, but can a mediocre inker do that much damage?

Also, who is the guy fighting on the X-Men side who looks like the Shadow or another pulpy mystery man, all in white with the hat and mask and gun? Is he cool?

Another person who is unaware of Dr Nemesis? Go pick up the X-Club mini right now. He is awesome.

Rogue1-and-a-half
Mar 7, 2011
That last panel is hideous. No sense of movement. I mean it looks like they all just lined up and struck "dynamic" poses. I mean, look at Cap.

I'm no expert on all this stuff, but this is one of my biggest beefs with comics. When they're supposed to be capturing someone in mid-movement and instead it just looks like they just captured someone playing freeze-tag. It takes more than just posing someone in a transitional pose for it to appear that they're moving. I mean, they look like they were drawn from posed action figures or something. I find it hard to really articulate what the issue is when I have this problem and I'm not entirely sure if it's subjective or not. I'm not a visual artist myself so I don't know what's needed in these moments, but I do know that sometimes it looks like a character is being drawn mid-movement and other times it just doesn't. That last panel there (well, the first one too) is a perfect example of something looks way too static to me.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Rogue1-and-a-half posted:

That last panel is hideous. No sense of movement. I mean it looks like they all just lined up and struck "dynamic" poses. I mean, look at Cap.

I'm no expert on all this stuff, but this is one of my biggest beefs with comics. When they're supposed to be capturing someone in mid-movement and instead it just looks like they just captured someone playing freeze-tag. It takes more than just posing someone in a transitional pose for it to appear that they're moving. I mean, they look like they were drawn from posed action figures or something. I find it hard to really articulate what the issue is when I have this problem and I'm not entirely sure if it's subjective or not. I'm not a visual artist myself so I don't know what's needed in these moments, but I do know that sometimes it looks like a character is being drawn mid-movement and other times it just doesn't. That last panel there (well, the first one too) is a perfect example of something looks way too static to me.

It's all about line of action and good framing. This old Disney tutorial might give you some reference. There needs to be some amount of exaggeration in still images to give the illusion of movement. Everyone is hunched over with their fists clenched and teeth grit. I didn't even realize Cap was receiving his shield, I thought he was holding it funny.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Hated that issue. A clash between two groups of the most powerful superheroes on the planet and from afar it just looks like a typical soccer match brawl.

Dan Hollis
Jun 16, 2006

Surprise!!!
Taken out of a gritty urban setting - Daredevil looks so vulnerable there with his blind walking cane. :smith:

Also, I wish someone could compute all these super powers and actually simulate this fight so we could all laugh at everyone being left either dead or disabled within 10 seconds.

Dan Hollis fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Apr 20, 2012

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

Dan Hollis posted:

Taken out of a gritty urban setting - Daredevil looks so vulnerable there with his blind walking cane. :smith:

Holy poo poo. Even though I thought Daredevil looked incredibly gormless, I didn't even notice the cane. Is that normal?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Is Wolverine supposed to be the biggest rear end in a top hat in the world or something? Why would he side against the X-Men? He's even wearing their loving logo on his chest!

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I don't think blind people use walking canes with curved grips. They use long straight canes because it's easier to sweep ahead with them. Why Daredevil needs a grandpa cane is beyond me.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Baron Bifford posted:

I don't think blind people use walking canes with curved grips. They use long straight canes because it's easier to sweep ahead with them. Why Daredevil needs a grandpa cane is beyond me.

He uses that as a grappling hook.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

HorseHeadBed posted:

Why are Cyclops and that white-clothed guy with the pistol charging into melee? Why don't they pull back and shoot from afar?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Baron Bifford posted:

Why are Cyclops and that white-clothed guy with the pistol charging into melee? Why don't they pull back and shoot from afar?

The artist is a big fan of the opening credits of X-men TAS

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Baron Bifford posted:

And why is Clint 60 years old?

Dan Hollis
Jun 16, 2006

Surprise!!!
Hawkeye looks like George W. Bush in the first panel.

demolition rickshaw
Mar 10, 2007

I NEED AVATARS. AVATARS OF HARDHAT SPIDER-MAN!
That page seems to get worse every time I look at it. Look at Psylocke and Spidey in the last panel. Ugh, I don't even want to bother reading the issue sitting on the coffee table.

edit: Oh man Iron Fist's proportions in the first panel

demolition rickshaw fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 20, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh man I hadn't even noticed Psylocke :stonk:

Dan Hollis
Jun 16, 2006

Surprise!!!
Why is Marvel allowing such a piss-poor job? You'd think they'd have a stable of young artists who would kill for the opportunity to make every panel a masterpiece (and probably for little to no pay.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HorseHeadBed posted:

Aww. Someone put their kid in a Spider-Man Halloween costume and let them play along. :3:

demolition rickshaw
Mar 10, 2007

I NEED AVATARS. AVATARS OF HARDHAT SPIDER-MAN!
This makes me a terrible person and I know we're just dogpiling on this at this point but I just couldn't let Iron Fist go because this is what I see:

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
Illyana if you don't put down a stepping disc and trap the Avengers in limbo until they behave themselves the Black Panther is going to punch you super hard. Don't swing your sword at him it will not work.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Stagger_Lee posted:

Illyana if you don't put down a stepping disc and trap the Avengers in limbo until they behave themselves the Black Panther is going to punch you super hard. Don't swing your sword at him it will not work.

Well, she already put Doc Strange in limbo/Mephisto's realm/some other hellish place. Of course, I'm long past expecting Doctor Strange to win a fight in an Avengers book.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mind the walrus posted:

I'm guessing pricing.
I kind of doubt they'd have a hard time justifying him on their summer crossover event.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

The only Romita art I've seen from the past 5-10 years that hasn't immediately made me go "Ugh" is Eternals, and there it was a minor annoyance.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I thought his work on The Mighty Thor was exceptionally good (in particular the stuff with Thanos), and I quite liked his Spider-Man stuff. But the last few years his stuff has looked quite rushed/unfinished - I don't know if it's a scheduling thing, he just can't keep up anymore or maybe he just gets put in with inappropriate inkers/colorists, but that Avengers/X-Men stuff is atrocious.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

I thought his work on The Mighty Thor was exceptionally good (in particular the stuff with Thanos), and I quite liked his Spider-Man stuff. But the last few years his stuff has looked quite rushed/unfinished - I don't know if it's a scheduling thing, he just can't keep up anymore or maybe he just gets put in with inappropriate inkers/colorists, but that Avengers/X-Men stuff is atrocious.

Agreed, his Amazing Spider-Man work at the beginning of JMS' run was some real top-notch stuff (albeit with some wonky-rear end faces at times).

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.

Jerusalem posted:

Woah hold on, Thanos showed up in Mighty Thor? Was it a flashback, or is he back from the cancer-verse?

Edit: Sorry for the derail, just curious.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Madrox posted:

Woah hold on, Thanos showed up in Mighty Thor? Was it a flashback, or is he back from the cancer-verse?

Edit: Sorry for the derail, just curious.

This is back a decade or so ago in the Heroes Return (not reborn) reboot - It was written by the normally generic Dan Jurgens but the first 25 issues were really good (in my opinion). Issue 26 was this horrible loving drop in quality though and it just got worse from there.

Edit: Posted a couple of panels in the badass thread if you're interested - the art isn't quite as good as I remember but it is still a big improvement over his Avengers/X-Men stuff.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Apr 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
A bit of neglect for manga here.

GANTZ is probably the most bizarrely drawn comic of all time. The author combines huge naked tits with horrible dismemberment with intricately drawn monsters.

There was a huge lull in his quality when the Tsunami hit, but he seems to have recovered and the little details are returning. He draws horrific monsters and weird mechs very well.

Example: a super-mech suit.

Which, of course, leads to the aliens deciding to mimic the mech:

And things pretty much go as you'd expect.

It's a great series, but it's bloody and dark and not for everyone. But it has some drat good designs.