Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Where do I order it online at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
The Last Gang Records online store. Sorry don't have an exact link I'm on my phone.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

CPL593H posted:

gently caress Record Store Day.

I'm volunteering, putting together computers for underprivileged kids instead of wasting money on collectors edition represses :unsmith:

perfectecho
Jun 4, 2002
I was going to sit out the day as well, but the Captain Beefheart singles is gonna drag me out of my hole...

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
I'll go ahead and put out there that imo you have to have lousy taste in music if there's not at least ONE Record Store Day thing that looks appealing to you. For the last few years, there have always been in the neighborhood of 5-10 exclusives that have been totally worth braving the insanity at the stores.

I can totally agree with the sentiment that RSD kind of sucks overall, and that it's more of a hassle for someone who's in stores multiple times a week to have to deal with the madness, but I guarantee you that the shop owners dig RSD because the cash registers go k-ching all day long. Anyone who works at a shop that has a bad attitude about it is probably either a lazy employee or else an owner frustrated about the limited nature of the releases. Without the limited releases, though, would there be a line around the block on Saturday?

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

chime_on posted:

I'll go ahead and put out there that imo you have to have lousy taste in music if there's not at least ONE Record Store Day thing that looks appealing to you. For the last few years, there have always been in the neighborhood of 5-10 exclusives that have been totally worth braving the insanity at the stores.
What an asinine comment. There is ONE item this year that does look attractive to me (the Martian Denny Orchestra released by Sundazed) but SO MANY of the releases are either reissues that some people would rather have the original copy of (often because it's super easy to find the original copy), overpriced first edition vinyl releases of things already released on CD, expensive B-sides from modern indie groups, or otherwise generally pretty mainstream stuff. Even the vaguely interesting items are usually at a price premium that makes me shrug it off.

Vinyl for me is about exploring new sounds by finding obscure things I know nothing about for cheap, or if I am paying a little more it's because it was never released in any other easily obtainable form. Vinyl is a format, not a type of music. I am practically swimming in vinyl in my apartment but if it's a modern release I'll buy it on CD 80% of the time because it'll be cheaper. Record Store Day doesn't cater to that at all. If anything, the fact that these are exclusive to this day and event panders towards the bullshit forced collectors' item status that I hate.

I'm not saying that you're collecting records the wrong way if you don't also hate record store day, but don't make blanket judgements about my taste when you don't know how I enjoy my music.

I do enjoy the day itself. I like going into record stores and seeing a lot of people hang out (I don't like that sometimes "hang out" means camp out until they open, buy the item, then split), and I like that a lot of stores bring in musical acts or have big sales. I like the idea, hate the company

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Harry Privates posted:

The Last Gang Records online store. Sorry don't have an exact link I'm on my phone.

Site says it's out of stock. I like that record and wouldn't mind owning it but all of this RSD poo poo is meh to me. I understand vinyl is expensive to press and put out there but would be it so hard to release more than 1000 copies world-wide for a record that plenty of people want to buy? I don't know, maybe like 3000?

Last year, I bought the Heady Nuggs Box Set but I was lucky enough to catch the online sale for the colored set (lucky in the sense that i didn't have to stand in line at a record store). I went to my local store where I wasn't planning on standing in line for anything but a friend of mine was there and offered to grab Deerhoof's Friend Opportunity for me (limited green remastered release). It wasn't like people were clawing at each other for it but I was happy I got something I actually wanted. Not even 2 months later, Polyvinyl releases that same record again in a different color so it's not like it even really mattered. I could have eventually picked it up.

I want to support my local store so I'll probably walk over there at some point during the day and just buy something I like. If the line for RSD stuff isn't long I might stand in line and pick up something but I'm not camping the storefront at 7am.

I Might Be Adam fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 20, 2012

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Farts Domino posted:

What an asinine comment. There is ONE item this year that does look attractive to me (the Martian Denny Orchestra released by Sundazed) but SO MANY of the releases are either reissues that some people would rather have the original copy of (often because it's super easy to find the original copy), overpriced first edition vinyl releases of things already released on CD, expensive B-sides from modern indie groups, or otherwise generally pretty mainstream stuff. Even the vaguely interesting items are usually at a price premium that makes me shrug it off.

Vinyl for me is about exploring new sounds by finding obscure things I know nothing about for cheap...

I'm not saying that you're collecting records the wrong way if you don't also hate record store day, but don't make blanket judgements about my taste when you don't know how I enjoy my music.

Seriously not being a smartass here, but you came at me a little hard for someone who seemed to agree with me. There is something that appeals to you on the RSD list-- that doesn't mean you have to go out and buy it or that I think you're "doing it wrong," just that they do have poo poo out there that caters to pretty much all tastes.

Regarding your point about discovering new things for cheap-- there are ALWAYS budget label comps on RSD from all kinds of labels. That's generally what I'm grabbing on RSD-- 4AD, Finders Keepers, Numero Group, Thrill Jockey, Sacred Bones, and Mute have all had incredible releases in the last couple few years.

Obviously 95% of what's out that day is nonsense, but that's pretty much how the record business is all year long.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

chime_on posted:

Seriously not being a smartass here, but you came at me a little hard for someone who seemed to agree with me. There is something that appeals to you on the RSD list-- that doesn't mean you have to go out and buy it or that I think you're "doing it wrong," just that they do have poo poo out there that caters to pretty much all tastes.

Regarding your point about discovering new things for cheap-- there are ALWAYS budget label comps on RSD from all kinds of labels. That's generally what I'm grabbing on RSD-- 4AD, Finders Keepers, Numero Group, Thrill Jockey, Sacred Bones, and Mute have all had incredible releases in the last couple few years.

Obviously 95% of what's out that day is nonsense, but that's pretty much how the record business is all year long.
I think we're both reading each other wrong. I still think making judgements about people's taste based on RSD releases is completely bonkers (if anything, I think it caters more towards people WITH lousy taste) but I get that you're essentially saying it's a very wide variety that even includes relatively obscure labels that most serious occasionally-reading-wax-poetics-magazine music nerds will recognize and appreciate. Reasonable point, terribly put. I probably read it as more inflammatory than it was meant, but dammit don't speak in extremes like that, just say there's "something for everybody".

That said, my idea of "new sounds" actually usually means "pretty drat old sounds that nobody cares about" on 45s. I can find new music on blogs, CDs, and compilations on labels like those you mentioned are often pretty great, but I rarely go after them because I'd much rather dig for a weirdo 45 that I don't know anything about than pay $20 for something new with a price that'll drop to $5 on CD if I'm patient. I want MORE records, not special records. While I do buy records from current bands, the gimmick of RSD and the limited availability (often implying lesser importance to the band/label) usually counts against the item.

I take issue because I generally don't find much on RSD that interests me, and the one I want this time is definitely kind of a weirdo outlier. My point is that record store day serves a completely different type of buyer than I am, and even moreso I know a lot of vintage-only types that it would appeal to even less, and they tend to have pretty phenomenal taste. There's nothing particularly wrong with the buyer they cater to, but my point is that different people have different music spending habits.

Farts Domino fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 20, 2012

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010
This is the only appealing RSD release this year for me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L68oc3C42Fg

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

chime_on posted:

I'm going to come at this from a slightly different angle than Farts Domino because our tastes in collecting, and possibly music, differ. I buy new vinyl almost exclusively of both new and old artists. That said, there is not one RSD release that appeals to me. Are you actually saying, based on that fact, that I have poor taste in music? Absurd. Not everyone listens to a genre of music where just any artist's release within that genre on RSD will suffice.

Ghumbs fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 20, 2012

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

I Might Be Adam posted:

Site says it's out of stock. I like that record and wouldn't mind owning it but all of this RSD poo poo is meh to me. I understand vinyl is expensive to press and put out there but would be it so hard to release more than 1000 copies world-wide for a record that plenty of people want to buy? I don't know, maybe like 3000?

I was under the impression that they were only listing it as OoS until tomorrow at 10. Hopefully not, because it's really the only thing that interests me out of the RSD stuff, except maybe that Hvarf/Heim reissue or whatever I saw somewhere.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Parachute Underwear posted:

I was under the impression that they were only listing it as OoS until tomorrow at 10. Hopefully not, because it's really the only thing that interests me out of the RSD stuff, except maybe that Hvarf/Heim reissue or whatever I saw somewhere.

You're right. Didn't catch the on sale at 10am thing. I wonder if I can snag one tomorrow morning online then.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

I really really don't want to get drawn into this discussion of RSD because frankly everyone seems to be over reacting and didn't we already express our thoughts on RSD several pages back when the list was published!? So how about we stop talking about it?

And that's all I have to say regarding that and RSD.

Edit: beaten on answering Adam.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I like re-releases of hard to find stuff. Looking forward to DFA1979, My Bloody Valentine and At the Drive-In reissuing their stuff cause it's too expensive to buy now.

I also like some of the neat RSD thing like the Flaming Lips album, Death Grips and Animal Collective

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008
My local record store said they're only getting "one or two" copies of Devo's Live in Seattle disc. This worries me . . .

I'd better get there bright and early.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
It could be more the local distributors than anything else but I talked to 2 different store owners in my rounds today, both of them said their RSD orders got slashed to hell in favor of the big chain places, one of them said only a few boxes have shown up and the rest will likely come in late. I am far less psyched and instead of going to the guy down the street I'm debating waiting around in front of the big chain store.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Blendy posted:

I really really don't want to get drawn into this discussion of RSD because frankly everyone seems to be over reacting and didn't we already express our thoughts on RSD several pages back when the list was published!? So how about we stop talking about it?

And that's all I have to say regarding that and RSD.

Edit: beaten on answering Adam.

Don't be alarmed, this is a yearly tradition.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Apparently my new (to me) local store has a lottery system for the line so it doesn't matter when you get there. And limits you to two items (not two of any type; two items period) the first time through.

As if RSD isn't bullshit enough.

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

Cheesus posted:

Apparently my new (to me) local store has a lottery system for the line so it doesn't matter when you get there. And limits you to two items (not two of any type; two items period) the first time through.

As if RSD isn't bullshit enough.

Truly, this is what record collecting and local business is all about : lottery systems and limiting purchases

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My local store is awesome and is having live music, free food, a trivia contest, and 10% off of everything (non-RSD exclusive) in the store, along with putting out some used stuff that's pretty rare. And opening an hour early.

My local store is better than yours.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

JohnnyMondo posted:

Truly, this is what record collecting and local business is all about : lottery systems and limiting purchases

It's probably for their sanity. My mom used to own a gift store (candles, collectibles, other misc dumb poo poo suburban moms spend money on) during the height of the Beanie Babies craze. They use to have 50+ crazy moms with their sticky kids waiting outside the store after a big shipment came in. They finally did a ticket system just so they didn't have a mob entering the store trying to kill each other over those stupid beanie babies.

My local store will usually have free beer from a local brewery and they discount all records and CDs plus a few live performances throughout the day.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I Might Be Adam posted:

It's probably for their sanity. My mom used to own a gift store (candles, collectibles, other misc dumb poo poo suburban moms spend money on) during the height of the Beanie Babies craze. They use to have 50+ crazy moms with their sticky kids waiting outside the store after a big shipment came in. They finally did a ticket system just so they didn't have a mob entering the store trying to kill each other over those stupid beanie babies.

My local store will usually have free beer from a local brewery and they discount all records and CDs plus a few live performances throughout the day.

The fact that this is even necessary is pretty much the epitome of what is wrong with Record Store Day. It was a great idea that they turned into another cynical cash grab. The first few years they did this were much more low key. Then they started to hype the poo poo out of everything, so now you've got all this Cabbage Patch Kids bullshit happening.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

This is going to be my first RSD. I'm excited! Why? Because I think vinyl is totally rad.

Superchunk
Dec 27, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Just picked up a silver/black swirl copy of the My Bloody Valentine Lost Tracks and Rare Cuts bootleg #16/100. :woop:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Looks like you can buy the DFA1979 album online at 10am, going to be hammering that loving site.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I read somewhere that the 1000 is just pink vinyl and that there is a bigger black vinyl reissue too very soon

Saddened that Easy Street won't have The Flaming Lips and Heady Fwends until "maybe later in the day" :(

WASDF fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Apr 21, 2012

Solar Jetman
Dec 13, 2004

monsters get slain
What vinyls do you think are most eBayable (highest profit margin)?

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

Solar Jetman posted:

What vinyls do you think are most eBayable (highest profit margin)?

Liquid-filled Jack White 12".

One already sold for $3500.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Surfingelectrode posted:

Liquid-filled Jack White 12".

One already sold for $3500.

Did someone get one early or is one of those things where the seller listed an item they're going to get? I've seen that happen with the Vault packages.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Gorillaz 500 copies my rear end. There are 5 copies on my block.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.
If anyone outside the US wanted the Flaming Lips album, you can get it here:

http://flaminglips.com/shop/item/1417/the-flaming-lips-and-heady-fwends-%28rsd-release%29/

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Surfingelectrode posted:

If anyone outside the US wanted the Flaming Lips album, you can get it here:

http://flaminglips.com/shop/item/1417/the-flaming-lips-and-heady-fwends-%28rsd-release%29/
Wait, featuring Ke$ha? I don't know too much about the Flaming Lips, but they don't seem like the kind of band that would appeal to the average Ke$ha fan.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Gorillaz 500 copies my rear end. There are 5 copies on my block.

My store didn't get any. So boo.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Ugh, I really want the El Camino RSD release, but I just can't make myself pay $40 for it.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I showed up 5 minutes ago, two hours before opening, hot beverage and lawn chair in hand, to discover that I'm the first person.

I'm kinda disappointed in my city.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
I used to participate in RSD, but I feel so relaxed not rushing out in the rain (again, every loving RSD it's raining) and standing in line. Just chillin with my coffee and breakfast all dry and warm. (Plus there's really nothing I want).

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Oh awesome, the DFA release brought down Last Gang's website right at 10. Clearly lots of people want this, why not print 5 times as many?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Oh awesome, the DFA release brought down Last Gang's website right at 10. Clearly lots of people want this, why not print 5 times as many?

Yup, I've been trying to check out but it keeps crashing and making me log back in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
Yup I got to add to cart then when I hit check out it said create an account. Then when I did that it crashed. gently caress!