Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Thwomp posted:

The beak/chrome on the grill is the only real distinguishing feature of an Acura. Other than that, it's just a Cadillac-lite design language.

And their idea of an ad campaign is "don't you wish driving could be more like golfing?"

No, I don't loving wish that. That would be a living nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Acuras look now like a transformer that broke out of warranty. They have weird bulges in odd places. Also the handling is like a heavy version of a golf cart.

Honda really isn't what it was 15 years ago.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
You gotta keep in mind that if it's your car you are going to know all that stuff by feel anyway at least in my experience.

Jay-Zeus
Jan 5, 2004
I don't believe it!
Fun Shoe
The rumormill is churning out the possibility of reviving the G8 as a Chevy "SS" model. I am extremely interested in this and will probably pre-order one if there's a nice blue, Tremec on the LS and a decent steering wheel (G8's was ungainly and ugly). I just hope it doesn't turn out to be a auto-only AWD Impala with a turbo engine like the SHO.

But no one makes full-size sedans in the ~35-40K price range with standard transmissions so I probably can't see GM stepping outside the box.

Fake render: http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/20/rendered-speculation-chevrolet-ss/

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
That body styling is lagging a lot. I would imagine they'd go with a complete revamp to latet design if they want to consider it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I like it, it feels like they stopped while they were ahead and didn't end up overdesigning everything.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

kimbo305 posted:

That body styling is lagging a lot. I would imagine they'd go with a complete revamp to latet design if they want to consider it.

Yeah but it's a fake render by some random internet dude with photoshop. It'll probably end up looking like whatever the next Commodore looks like.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Mr.Peabody posted:

It's not the redundant buttons that annoys me, the difference is Audi putting it on the center console instead of Mercedes placement on the dash faceplate. Maybe it's because of flying, but if I can't look forward while scanning I get annoyed and uncomfortable. Having to toward the center of the car takes the road out of your peripheral, so you either have to fumble or look away from the direction you actually want the vehicle to travel.

e: As far as the number pad, it's useful for dialing a bluetooth connected phone that's in your pocket, but other than that yeah, radio stations.

You shouldn't be dialing phone numbers while driving anyway. I've always interpreted those buttons as for the passenger more than anything else. They're not on the center console because (I believe) it's one of those driver-centered ones so it would be slightly awkward for the passenger.

Also, in regards to pop-up LCDs, I'd say the Cadillac CTS does them a pretty good way - even when folded in, about half the LCD is visible to do LCD stuff, but it only pops out in full size for if you're using the navigation system. Saves space on the center stack and looks clean when in but still gives you a full-size screen when you want it.

HUDs need to get more popular, though. Like on a jet.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Hidden nav screens rule, the Cadillac system rules. Why have a screen that you aren't using 99% of the time take up 60% of the dash space. Hard to tell from the pictures but it looks like the Audi's dash is significantly lower and gives the driver better visibility than the MB because of this.

I didn't know it popped up when you started the car though, that would be kind of dumb, why not have it pop up when you want to use the nav?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Cream_Filling posted:

You shouldn't be dialing phone numbers while driving anyway. I've always interpreted those buttons as for the passenger more than anything else. They're not on the center console because (I believe) it's one of those driver-centered ones so it would be slightly awkward for the passenger.

Also, in regards to pop-up LCDs, I'd say the Cadillac CTS does them a pretty good way - even when folded in, about half the LCD is visible to do LCD stuff, but it only pops out in full size for if you're using the navigation system. Saves space on the center stack and looks clean when in but still gives you a full-size screen when you want it.

HUDs need to get more popular, though. Like on a jet.

GM is moving away from the aforementioned pop up nav though, in favour of a large configurable IP with HUD, so you could have a small navsreen in the ip and your speed and whatnot in the hud.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/cadillac-cue/#photo-4511185

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
New Integra pricing is out. starts at $26k for the 150hp 2.0l with 5 speed auto, goes up to $34k.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/20/acura-prices-2013-ilx-from-25-900/

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

quote:

an internal hard drive for music storage

What is this, 1999?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Throatwarbler posted:

GM is moving away from the aforementioned pop up nav though, in favour of a large configurable IP with HUD, so you could have a small navsreen in the ip and your speed and whatnot in the hud.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/cadillac-cue/#photo-4511185

Yeah that stuff looks cool, too. It's basically like the IP in the Lamborghini Reventon and the new S-class, but with more HUD. Except for the part about capacitive buttons on the center stack, which is one of the dumbest ideas on earth unless they mean that they are physical clicky buttons that also have touch sensitivity, which is the opposite and I know from personal experience are totally awesome. Also, the lack of knobs makes me sad because knobs are much better than touch swiping.

The little cubby hole/phone jail behind the center stack buttons is a really cool idea (that will drive you crazy if/when it breaks, like all tech-heavy interiors are wont to do). But it's still very clever and cool.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

dissss posted:

What is this, 1999?

What would you prefer? Paying money every month for spotty wireless coverage? I feel like you're mistaking America for a country with a modern information infrastructure.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

PT6A posted:

And their idea of an ad campaign is "don't you wish driving could be more like golfing?"

No, I don't loving wish that. That would be a living nightmare.

Hahhaha are you serious? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Even Buick didn't stoop that low when they did their big Tiger Woods promotions.

Although, to be honest, auto racing and golfing are more similar than you think. In both, you spend tens of thousands of dollars and hours and hours of repetitive practice to make a number get slightly smaller by a miniscule amount, and most of your time is spent waiting and preparing for an actual chance to play at expensive clubby places that charge hundreds of dollars in entry fees. Although golf is probably worse, environmentally speaking.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Cream_Filling posted:

What would you prefer? Paying money every month for spotty wireless coverage? I feel like you're mistaking America for a country with a modern information infrastructure.

I'd go with bluetooth audio and just be done with it.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Jay-Zeus posted:

The rumormill is churning out the possibility of reviving the G8 as a Chevy "SS" model. I am extremely interested in this and will probably pre-order one if there's a nice blue, Tremec on the LS and a decent steering wheel (G8's was ungainly and ugly). I just hope it doesn't turn out to be a auto-only AWD Impala with a turbo engine like the SHO.

But no one makes full-size sedans in the ~35-40K price range with standard transmissions so I probably can't see GM stepping outside the box.

Fake render: http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/20/rendered-speculation-chevrolet-ss/

Please oh please let this actually happen.
I missed out on the chance of owning a G8 GXP with a stick.
Id pick up one of these in a heartbeat.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Cream_Filling posted:

I'm not suggesting everyone should be streaming music (believe me where I'm from mobile data is MUCH more expensive than it is in the USA) - just seems stupid when pretty much everyone has a smartphone or iPod with music already on it.

Who wants to deal with syncing their car as well as their other devices?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Cream_Filling posted:

Yeah that stuff looks cool, too. It's basically like the IP in the Lamborghini Reventon and the new S-class, but with more HUD. Except for the part about capacitive buttons on the center stack, which is one of the dumbest ideas on earth unless they mean that they are physical clicky buttons that also have touch sensitivity, which is the opposite and I know from personal experience are totally awesome. Also, the lack of knobs makes me sad because knobs are much better than touch swiping.

The little cubby hole/phone jail behind the center stack buttons is a really cool idea (that will drive you crazy if/when it breaks, like all tech-heavy interiors are wont to do). But it's still very clever and cool.

I heard an interview with the designer on autoline and it's capacitive touch buttons like Ford uses, but it will have haptic feedback to address the concerns that people have had with the Ford version. I'm not sure how that's better than just having a clicky button but the guy was English and assured us that GM will test it comprehensively before releasing it so what could possibly go wrong?

Relavent quote from Bob Lutz's book:

quote:

We then had a lively discussion about Buick. Here, the “experts” had decided that the brand’s focus would cater to the needs of the elderly. Toward this end, a system called “Quiet Servant” was conjured up. To my amazement, I was shown an interior mock-up featuring no instrument panel and no visible controls whatsoever. It was to be the world’s first car operated entirely by voice command. Speed, gas level, and other relevant information were projected on the windshield.
“Folks,” I said, “this is nuts!”
“No, no!” they insisted. They had shown a video to older people, where the fictitious driver merely said “headlights” or “left turn signal” or “radio” and the car instantly delivered. And, at the end of the video, 75 percent had expressed a strong preference for this miraculous system. But I’d learned to be skeptical of research in which subjects are shown an ideal, simplified version of a new technology where everything just works. Real life never quite lives up to the fantasy. Still, I agreed to drive a prototype.
I will never forget that drive through downtown Milford, Michigan, and the engineer sitting next to me probably won’t forget it either. At his urging, I asked for “more cold air.” “No, no!” he said. “You have to scroll verbally! First say ‘climate control.’ When the car says ‘climate control,’ you say ‘blower.’ When the car repeats ‘blower,’ you say ‘up one.’ Same with temperature.” Of course, it wasn’t that easy, and a comedy of errors ensued. I did the best I could, trying to remember the sequence. So fixated did I become with the marvels of voice input technology that I casually cruised through two red lights, nearly causing an accident each time. Quiet Servant should have been called Quiet Assassin!
The new system officially died the next morning. I announced it to the Buick team in person. One earnest young woman almost broke out in tears, seeing the whole purpose of the last two years of her life float away. But, to my surprise, it was a hugely popular decision, and many congratulated me on having the courage to eradicate what had been a festering sore in product development. It was going to cost a fortune to develop and nobody knew how to make it work.

Background: This was when he first started at GM in 2001. the system he was talking about is slated to go into the last W-body Buick Regal. Lutz, an actual USMC pilot who flew jets off aircraft carriers, almost crashed the car trying to figure out the HVAC. The whole chapter is basically "When I got to GM I told everyone to just stop working and cancelled every single new car because they were all literally insane."

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Throatwarbler posted:

Relavent quote from Bob Lutz's book:

Background: This was when he first started at GM in 2001. the system he was talking about is slated to go into the last W-body Buick Regal. Lutz, an actual USMC pilot who flew jets off aircraft carriers, almost crashed the car trying to figure out the HVAC. The whole chapter is basically "When I got to GM I told everyone to just stop working and cancelled every single new car because they were all literally insane."

Ha, yes, I remember reading this bit before. It's so crazy that it sounds like a B-side Dilbert joke. Just amazing levels of bad ideas going down there. And the sad part is that GM engineers are perfectly competent. It's their horrible, horrible, dystopian Brazil-level bureaucracy and insane management that keeps riding them down a cliff.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Franco Caution posted:

Please oh please let this actually happen.
I missed out on the chance of owning a G8 GXP with a stick.
Id pick up one of these in a heartbeat.

I wouldn't hold your breath for a manual box, Holden don't make the LWB car with one.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

What is this Bob Lutz book? It sounds both hilarious & fascinating.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

It's amazing, really. While he was there, I remember a lot of :argh:LUTZ:argh: from the automotive press. Now he seems to be a missed opportunity for GM to really become competitive.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Fucknag posted:

It's amazing, really. While he was there, I remember a lot of :argh:LUTZ:argh: from the automotive press. Now he seems to be a missed opportunity for GM to really become competitive.

It wasn't missed, there was nothing he could have done to save GM from 2008, but all the cars GM are selling right now, including the Volt, were done under his tutelage and pretty much all are class leading. The current Buick Lacrosse and Enclave were the first products that he put out and both were wildly successful even as the economy tanked, as was the Camaro.

The real test will come when the next generation of stuff that wasn't done under him comes out, I *think* the new Impala and XTS are going to be the first and they look all right.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Fucknag posted:

GM has become really competitive again...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Throatwarbler posted:

Hidden nav screens rule, the Cadillac system rules. Why have a screen that you aren't using 99% of the time take up 60% of the dash space. Hard to tell from the pictures but it looks like the Audi's dash is significantly lower and gives the driver better visibility than the MB because of this.

I didn't know it popped up when you started the car though, that would be kind of dumb, why not have it pop up when you want to use the nav?

It pops up because it's the interface for MMI which is how you control nearly everything about the car.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

Because it's not just a nav screen. At least on the A8s, it's got the phone/bluetooth and radio information on it among other functions that are in use most of the time. Maybe you can make it go back down if you aren't using any of that stuff, but I've never seen it happen and can't really recall if I've ever bothered to even turn the radio off of the one I drive on occasion.

Which is the other problem. You get into one of those and basically can't do anything other than drive it without pulling over and figuring out where the hell everything is first. I suppose that's better than the 7-series "here's a stack of cards to hand to the valets that explain how to start this thing and put it in gear" thing they did after overcomplicating a simple process.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
A friend of mine has the C-Class with the flip-up screen, and it can be folded back if you don't need it. This is great for long night time trips, otherwise I thought it was just too bright and distracting even in the night mode. While the navigation continues talking to you, there are a few things you couldn't do with the screen folded, like tuning to the next radio station (as opposed to choosing presets), entering navigation destinations, and some other stuff. The keypad was actually nice for entering addresses as it works just like a phone keypad, though it's probably too awkward for the driver to use.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Jay-Zeus posted:

This is going to sound weird but why the gently caress not at this point just make a 4 door Camaro and drop the hunchback rear so you can actually see out the back of the thing and stretch it out out bit? It's not like anybody actually gives a poo poo anymore about the integrity of the marquee/brand and Camaro's 1960's mullettude. Offer coupe/sedan versions with multiple engines, sport configurations and transmission options.

Also: Would carmakers please stop ripping off the M3 gills already, it's so loving tired. I'm surprised they haven't popped up on lawn mowers and bicycles yet.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Keyser S0ze posted:

This is going to sound weird but why the gently caress not at this point just make a 4 door Camaro and drop the hunchback rear so you can actually see out the back of the thing and stretch it out out bit? It's not like anybody actually gives a poo poo anymore about the integrity of the marquee/brand and Camaro's 1960's mullettude. Offer coupe/sedan versions with multiple engines, sport configurations and transmission options.

Do you mean copy the Camaro styling for a sedan? Or use the Camaro chassis for it? Because if you mean the latter....:ssh:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gm_zeta

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
After owning my S5 for a week all the controls were very natural and easy to use. Even with all the buttons surrounding the shifter.

The only hard part was remembering that the volume knob is on the center console and stop turning up the blower instead.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Do you mean copy the Camaro styling for a sedan? Or use the Camaro chassis for it? Because if you mean the latter....:ssh:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gm_zeta

Oh, well there ya go! ...and look how much better it looks without a gigantic gold bowtie on the front. I think most people are just going to assume it's a Taurus at this point and I suggest stealing the styling of the Camaro, at least the front.

Dodge ripped off the Challenger rear for the Charger and they might as well have stolen the front as well as the Challenger front is much more appealing. And again, the history of all these cars (Mustang, Camaro, Charger) have been so humiliated and bastardized they might as well keep doing it to the poor things.

Jay-Zeus
Jan 5, 2004
I don't believe it!
Fun Shoe
Poking around that wiki link I learned that the Holden was also exported to the Middle East as the Lumina... with an available SS trim with a standard transmission. I think it looks pretty nice, if a little more mature than the G8. Please, please, please...!

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Keyser S0ze posted:

Oh, well there ya go! ...and look how much better it looks without a gigantic gold bowtie on the front. I think most people are just going to assume it's a Taurus at this point and I suggest stealing the styling of the Camaro, at least the front.

Dodge ripped off the Challenger rear for the Charger and they might as well have stolen the front as well as the Challenger front is much more appealing. And again, the history of all these cars (Mustang, Camaro, Charger) have been so humiliated and bastardized they might as well keep doing it to the poor things.

What's so humiliating about the Mustang or Camaro? Disregarding stuff like the Mustang II, the Mustang has always been what it is: a cheap, sporty-looking pony car with a big engine in it. Same with the Camaro. They've kept 100% true to what they are - pony cars. Even in the darkest days of the malaise era, they were both cheap RWD with bigass engines and coupe styling. What more can you ask of them?

The Charger is the only one where the name's been bastardized because they gave it four doors and there was that weird hatchback thing in the 80s.

Also, you may not know this, but the picture there is of a VE Commodore / Lumina and the car was designed in 2006, so it's not exactly stealing the styling of anything at this point. Even the picture you were commenting on before is a FAKE speculative rendering and did not ever come out of an official GM mouthpiece of any kind. It's just a photoshop some jobber made by taking the current Commodore and grafting some Chevy-ish front end onto it.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
As you say, not the Mustang really except during the 70's but the Camaro had been an ugly mother for many years after that and handled like crap for 20+ years. They had to put a bullet in its head, wait a few years, then come out with the redesign just to rid themselves of the gold chain/mullet association.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Keyser S0ze posted:

As you say, not the Mustang really except during the 70's but the Camaro had been an ugly mother for many years after that and handled like crap for 20+ years. They had to put a bullet in its head, wait a few years, then come out with the redesign just to rid themselves of the gold chain/mullet association.

Which Camaros were super-ugly? We're talking Mustang II or Fox-body ugly. The look of the 3rd gen Camaro was pretty legendary and the IROC version was iconic. The 4th gen Camaro looks weird and melty by modern standards, but supposedly it had good aerodynamics and it holds up pretty well in looks compared to other sports cars of the 90s.

The front/rear overhangs are way too long (though more front overhang = more front downforce in race car versions), but otherwise it looks like every other wedgy soap bar from the 90s.

Yeah, the handling of the later Camaros suffered when compared to the early Trans-Am and touring car days of the car, but that was in part due to the general demise of Trans-Am and American road racing that happened at that time. They were (and still are) pretty much fixtures in drag racing and other popular motorsports of the day.

The gold chain/mullet association is pretty much entirely because it was a cheap RWD coupe with a big-rear end engine in the 80s and it looked cooler than the Fox-body Mustang. It was more or less unavoidable because of the kind of people who would buy a cheap big-power car at that time, generally.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 21, 2012

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
So I test drove a Veloster on the weekend and I have to say, it's a drat nice car.

It's not the fastest car around but it handles like a dream, no body roll but still a nice firm ride but not rock solid.

The manual is a bit notchy, but the throws are short and precise. The DCT is a dream though, leave it in full auto and the shifts are smooth and precise, switch to the paddle shift and it's heaps of fun.

I'm not in a position to buy one yet, just gotta save up someone money as I don't want to go with finance, but once I have the money I'll be selling the s15 and buying one.

Only problem is the 3 month wait to get it from ordering.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
New Aussie falcon 4cyl ecoboost in on sale as of today
As you know the falcon is the RWD family car, full sized sedan.
2L 4cyl turbo ecoboost engine with 179kW, 353Nm of torque(@2000 RPM), economy is 8.1L/100Km
(The current 4L straight 6cyl NA engine is 195kW, 391Nm torque and ~10L/100Km)

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-news/falcon-fourcylinder-arrives-20120423-1xfo8.html

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Apr 23, 2012

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Fo3 posted:

New Aussie falcon 4cyl ecoboost in on sale as of today
As you know the falcon is the RWD family car, full sized sedan.
2L 4cyl turbo ecoboost engine with 179kW, 353Nm of torque(@2000 RPM), economy is 8.1L/100Km
(The current 4L straight 6cyl NA engine is 195kW, 391Nm torque and ~10L/100Km)

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-news/falcon-fourcylinder-arrives-20120423-1xfo8.html

Well I'm not going to bother converting your wacky gigajoules or whatever to horsepower or your upside-down kangaroo dollars to greenbacks, but clearly this is the car I want instead of the Fusion I'll end up buying in the Fall.

Edit: vv yeah I was just goofing around but I assumed it would be the 237hp 250lbft 2.0L ecoboost that's going in the 2013 Fusion, I would just rather it be RWD if it doesn't take up much more space in the rear.

And obviously I'd like the steering wheel on the left side of the car too. If the mpg numbers don't meet or beat the turbo Kia Optima I may throw patriotism to the wind and get that. Dammit Ford, update your fusion website!

davebo fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

davebo posted:

Well I'm not going to bother converting your wacky gigajoules or whatever to horsepower or your upside-down kangaroo dollars to greenbacks, but clearly this is the car I want instead of the Fusion I'll end up buying in the Fall.

1 kW = 1.34 HP