Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
I've been watching the Howie Meeker Hockey school videos on CBC. Hockey instruction ( geared to kids ,but still good stuff) slams headfirst into the 70s.

http://www.cbc.ca/cgi-bin/MT4/mt-search.cgi?search=Howie+Meeker+hockey+school&IncludeBlogs=777&limit=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Does anyone know where I can find all weather replacement netting for a goal? I bought an EZ Goal with a rebounder about a year and a half ago, and the netting disintegrated last year. Supposedly a known issue with their netting.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Ug, we got ringered hard tonight. We played a team that's been completely terrible all season because literally everyone on their team except their goalie and two other guys has only been playing for a year or two. I think our two previous games against them were 6-1 and 6-0.

Tonight they had a couple new guys who were really good. The rest of the team was still super bad though so we got out to like a 6-3 in the second and they started double shifting their ringers. We ended up being up 7-6 with like 7 minutes left in the 3rd. Their ringers tied it and then shifted off, we scored again to go up 8-7, and then the ringers came right back on and played all the last 5 minutes and scored 3 goals, beating us 10-8.

We had a sub goalie who had kind of a tough night, I think we probably could still have beaten them with our regular goalie but drat, that one hurts, especially since my team is pretty terrible too and this was one of the only teams we could beat.

On the bright side I got a goal and one of my teammates got his first ever goal, which was cool.

e: Also the better of their ringers ran our goalie.

Thufir fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Apr 19, 2012

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Loqieu posted:

Does anyone know where I can find all weather replacement netting for a goal? I bought an EZ Goal with a rebounder about a year and a half ago, and the netting disintegrated last year. Supposedly a known issue with their netting.
How about fish net netting? I would think that would stand the elements quiet well. I have no idea how much it'll cost though.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Zettace posted:

How about fish net netting? I would think that would stand the elements quiet well. I have no idea how much it'll cost though.
Found some on Amazon that fits the description perfectly. Looks like they even make some for sports specifically.

http://www.amazon.com/Fishing-Nets-Backstop-Hockey-Barrier/dp/B002754T44/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_5

I'll have to take their word on the quality though as I don't know poo poo about netting. Either way it's cheaper than buying it from EZGoal, and I can just cut it down to size. I like their description: Great for hockey, lacrosse, golf, and weddings!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

What's the difference between ringers and subs? Is it one plays on your team, and the other plays on the team you're playing against? :v:

Sometimes people can't make it and you can't replace their skill level exactly. But if you're able to come back and lead the game and your goalie is having a bad night, it's not like the ringers are making a difference. It sounds a lot more like a bunch of substitute players. Or your team is playing below their appropriate level.

If the team comes out and blows your team out with players you've never seen before, it's a different story....

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
I'll admit to there being a double standard in existence. I remember a game we had earlier this season where we had a girl sub for one of our forwards. To us she was a sub, but holy gently caress did she have wheels, most definitely looked like a ringer from the other bench.

That said: tonight we are battling our first round playoff game against a team that steamrolls the league every season. It's not that they are all superstars, but about 2 or 3 of their players will consistently change the game if they deem fit. Losing the game? Alright, time to start taking it end-to-end and fix this game. Players such as those who sand bag until they are risking a loss and never moving up in the leagues definitely frustrate a bit.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

sellouts posted:

What's the difference between ringers and subs? Is it one plays on your team, and the other plays on the team you're playing against? :v:

Sometimes people can't make it and you can't replace their skill level exactly. But if you're able to come back and lead the game and your goalie is having a bad night, it's not like the ringers are making a difference. It sounds a lot more like a bunch of substitute players. Or your team is playing below their appropriate level.

If the team comes out and blows your team out with players you've never seen before, it's a different story....

They had about 15 skaters so I don't think they can claim to be subs and the guys didn't play any of their games pre-playoffs. They had two guys score or set up probably 8 of their goals, I have no doubt that we would have completely stomped them without those guys. That may make it sound like my team is sandbagging but we're actually the worst team in the league (like, of all the adult teams at the facility) aside from those guys (I guess we are the worse now), they are just really really bad.

e: Like, I get that losing sucks, because we've lost 20 games this season, but as a team we talked about it and decided that we were still having fun and improving and didn't want to bring in ringers just to win, so it's really frustrating that the only team we realistically could expect to beat went the other direction. Also I don't think winning would be that fun when it's just one guy on your team skating in solo and scoring at will over and over and the entire rest of your team is terrible everywhere else on the ice.

e2: Actually now that I think about it my team captain did bring in a new guy that he thought was an above average player, but he actually wasn't, so I guess we don't really have a real moral high ground.

Thufir fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 19, 2012

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!
Ringers are just guys playing below their level, they don't necessarily have to be a sub. Could just be a guy that's friends with kids in a lower division and wants to play with them. Most guys usually hold back. I have a buddy I call to sub for my ice team when guys say they can't make it. He and everyone at the rink knows he is playing way below his level. He usually holds back unless someone on the other team does something messed up and he may turn it on.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maybe not in a league game, but I really like playing against guys who are significantly better than me. For one it makes me work harder, so in theory I improve faster. They also function as a yard stick.. I can measure my improvement by keeping mental notes of how effectively I can (or cannot) shut them down.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Hey guys, just a little bit of info on me before I ask my question. I just started ice skating mid-December of last year, I have a pair of Bauer skates that I got for Christmas after my stepmom (who played hockey in high school) noticed my knack for balance. So far I've yet to fall once on the ice from my own error, but I digress. I really enjoy skating in general, but my goal is to start playing hockey. My cousin has handed me down a bit of equipment but as far as I know, there's no such thing as a "beer league for teens", if it could be called that.

What I mean is, the only kinds of leagues that kids my age can play in are the hard, competitive, developmental "grind-your-rear end-in-gear" camps and leagues. I'm really not interested in that yet; obviously because I haven't played hockey before and because I'd like to get a feel for playing hockey first before I do anything else with it. I live in northern Massachusetts and I've never heard of a "fun league" for U18s. Could anyone maybe point me in the right direction with where to go for something like this?

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

sellouts posted:

Basically, a ringer is someone who is playing a skill level or more below where they should be playing. There is some gray area where a high level C-league player probably isn't much different than an average to good B-league player, but if you're a C-league team and have high level B-league players or A-league players playing on your team, then they would be considered ringers. That being said, if they're not dicks about it and they do things like drop back and play defense and pass to set up other players, then people generally won't mind, but when you have a ringer or ringers that take over a game, then you're going to piss off the other team.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

To me, ringer = somebody that does not current play in the league (or any other leagues at that rink). Sub = somebody from another team in the league.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

FFStudios posted:

. I live in northern Massachusetts and I've never heard of a "fun league" for U18s. Could anyone maybe point me in the right direction with where to go for something like this?
Go for the adult learn to play stuff or beer leagues.. no one cares how old you are that I've seen. Bunch of high school age kids play alongside 40 year old never-evers at my rink and it works fine.

Worst that can happen is you get crushed by some 300 lb dude, best that happens is they all start recruiting you for their team.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?

FFStudios posted:

Hey guys, just a little bit of info on me before I ask my question. I just started ice skating mid-December of last year, I have a pair of Bauer skates that I got for Christmas after my stepmom (who played hockey in high school) noticed my knack for balance. So far I've yet to fall once on the ice from my own error, but I digress. I really enjoy skating in general, but my goal is to start playing hockey. My cousin has handed me down a bit of equipment but as far as I know, there's no such thing as a "beer league for teens", if it could be called that.

What I mean is, the only kinds of leagues that kids my age can play in are the hard, competitive, developmental "grind-your-rear end-in-gear" camps and leagues. I'm really not interested in that yet; obviously because I haven't played hockey before and because I'd like to get a feel for playing hockey first before I do anything else with it. I live in northern Massachusetts and I've never heard of a "fun league" for U18s. Could anyone maybe point me in the right direction with where to go for something like this?

Go to some drop ins and let it be known that you are looking for a low level team. Proceed to skate hard and not be a puck hog, there's usually at least 1-2 teams per season that are short on players who'll be looking to pick up a body or two. Also, sometimes if you talk to the league managers they'll be able to set you up with a team in need.

Playing at drop in will also let you know if you're mentally there to play with adults. Not meant as a knock, but like xzzy said - you might wind up running into a 300lb dude along the boards. Some people don't like the idea of that.

If you're U18 be sure to have your parents sign your "I won't file lawsuit" sheet.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Loqieu posted:

Found some on Amazon that fits the description perfectly. Looks like they even make some for sports specifically.

I'll have to take their word on the quality though as I don't know poo poo about netting. Either way it's cheaper than buying it from EZGoal, and I can just cut it down to size. I like their description: Great for hockey, lacrosse, golf, and weddings!

The line in that netting looks a bit thin but might be alright. It's pretty trivial to repair if you end up getting a bit of damage, the best would be the fish net with the thicker green polyprop line though, even 2" of that wouldn't let a puck through I doubt.

flashman fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 19, 2012

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Hockles posted:

To me, ringer = somebody that does not current play in the league (or any other leagues at that rink). Sub = somebody from another team in the league.

This is about the only sane definition I see when people are upset about losing games by 2 goals after scoring 8 against "a bunch of ringers" when they've got a sub goalie who had a bad night and they are apparently clearly on the worst team in their league.

FFStudios posted:

It's a lot easier to find learn to play hockey and classes for teens than it is adults, at least in my experience. Check around at several rinks but I bet you'll find something.

Also, if you're looking for the lowest level of skill to join a league, join a house league. House league = beer league for kids. The more competitive players move up to travel. The youth leagues you see on youtube or at other rinks might not even be the lowest level so don't be intimidated too much .Just remember that no matter where you play you'll be the worst one on the ice when you start. Then, a new person will join and you won't be the worst. Then you'll keep playing, and you'll get better than others. Then you'll move up a division and possibly be the worst person in THAT league. It never ends but it's all part of the fun. Don't be scared!

And don't be afraid of falling. Falling means you're pushing and expanding your comfort level and is a part of learning!

sellouts fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 19, 2012

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001

FFStudios posted:

Try this: http://fmcicesports.com/public/hockey-skating-programs/hockey.htm

Thufir
May 19, 2004

sellouts posted:

This is about the only sane definition I see when people are upset about losing games by 2 goals after scoring 8 against "a bunch of ringers" when they've got a sub goalie who had a bad night and they are apparently clearly on the worst team in their league.

Sorry, I guess I shouldn't be cranky when two guys who clearly have played travel or high school hockey, if not college club, who have not played in the regular season, come in to a playoff game where almost everyone else on the ice started playing as an adult, and score a shitload of goals going end to end and deking everyone out of their jocks.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Didn't realize it was a playoff game. That sucks. I wish more leagues locked rosters.

Hey, at least you almost beat what sounds like a better team (if you were matched up in the playoffs as the worst team in the league) in addition to those skilled 2 assholes!

Thufir
May 19, 2004

sellouts posted:

Didn't realize it was a playoff game. That sucks. I wish more leagues locked rosters.

Hey, at least you almost beat what sounds like a better team (if you were matched up in the playoffs as the worst team in the league) in addition to those skilled 2 assholes!

We're actually doing a playoff round robin, these guys had 0 regular season wins (without the good dudes). I guess I'm mainly being a crybaby because coming into the game it was expected to be our only win in the round robin, we had a big lead, and then their good dudes kicked into gear and won it.

I mean, objectively it was a "better" game than it would have been without them but hey, I like to win every once in a while.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
I took a half day from work and went to open skate today. there were 4 people on the ice total. I just worked on things, and made a ton of progress- hockey stops with the left foot forward and backwards crossovers in particular. Really happy with how my day went!

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

sellouts posted:

You will also learn a ton of bad habits, just be prepared.

You are learning more doing this skating and balance stuff than you could ever imagine.

Get a shooting mat and shoot pucks at home

Late but so hardcore agree with this. Do all the dumb skating, get super comfortable on your skates, it WILL pay off.

sellouts posted:

Also, if you're looking for the lowest level of skill to join a league, join a house league. House league = beer league for kids. The more competitive players move up to travel.

Also with this. There are definitely a ton of programs for kids/teenagers to get started in hockey. There are a lot of levels of youth hockey too, so it's not jump straight from house to tier I or anything, it's a gradual progression.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 20, 2012

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
And since I JUST LOVE DOUBLE POSTING, holy gently caress 4 straight 12 minute games of 3 on 3 crossice is brutal. But so much fun. Can already tell it's helping my small area game after 2 weeks. You have to think so much faster and be so much more creative, I love it!

We have a once a week league of 5 teams with 4 women each plus a handful of subs. This has been a ton of work to put together. I'm super proud of my captain and other teammates for doing so much legwork for this. This upcoming weekend I have the 3v3 league Saturday and 2 beer league games at a different rink on Sunday. Next weekend we're playing in the CAHA tournament down in San Jose. So much hockey in the next two weeks! (also 4 exams and 2 quizzes in that time period, but who cares bout that crap HOCKEYYY)

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
I'm loving this new league's two games a week. I actually feel like I've been playing hockey. Pulled out a big 6-3 win tonight against a team we barely beat on Tuesday. 5 points in 4 Games!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

And since I JUST LOVE DOUBLE POSTING, holy gently caress 4 straight 12 minute games of 3 on 3 crossice is brutal. But so much fun. Can already tell it's helping my small area game after 2 weeks. You have to think so much faster and be so much more creative, I love it!

We have a once a week league of 5 teams with 4 women each plus a handful of subs. This has been a ton of work to put together. I'm super proud of my captain and other teammates for doing so much legwork for this. This upcoming weekend I have the 3v3 league Saturday and 2 beer league games at a different rink on Sunday. Next weekend we're playing in the CAHA tournament down in San Jose. So much hockey in the next two weeks! (also 4 exams and 2 quizzes in that time period, but who cares bout that crap HOCKEYYY)

Try playing goalie in 3v3. It's easy!

And we're going to the same tournament. What level did you guys enter? We're hoping to not get completely worked in the novice division, but I'm sure we will. We were able to pick up a handful of subs/ringers since not everyone on the team could make it, so that should help at least a little bit.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Try playing goalie in 3v3. It's easy!

And we're going to the same tournament. What level did you guys enter? We're hoping to not get completely worked in the novice division, but I'm sure we will. We were able to pick up a handful of subs/ringers since not everyone on the team could make it, so that should help at least a little bit.

The women's intermediate (there are women's intermediate and novice divisions)

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Lost our playoff bid last night in the first round against the undefeated team in the league. 6-3 loss. We played well, but frankly, they are just a better team. Hopefully they or some of their players will move up next season. Doesn't bother me, though, I had goal #3 with a backhand to the five-hole on the offensive zone draw. :smugdog:

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I didn't feel like asking the people in watch & weight or digging through google to find out, so I'll just ask here: Does anyone know where to buy barbell weights? Years ago I bought a weight set (just a rack and bench, more or less) for, like, $190 but never got any use out of it. And now that I'm no longer going to Crossfit (or plan on paying their ridiculous prices) I figured I'd work out this summer at home in my garage. The weights I have kinda suck in that they're metal and I'm looking for rubber weights I can throw to the ground.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Check Craigslist. Pretty sure that's what most people in W&W do. Ordering a set of plates online is going to be expensive plus absurd shipping costs.

e: Just out of curiosity, I checked CL in my area and I think I need a tetanus shot just from looking at this:
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/spo/2960473155.html

:stonk:

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 20, 2012

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Gio posted:

I didn't feel like asking the people in watch & weight or digging through google to find out, so I'll just ask here: Does anyone know where to buy barbell weights? Years ago I bought a weight set (just a rack and bench, more or less) for, like, $190 but never got any use out of it. And now that I'm no longer going to Crossfit (or plan on paying their ridiculous prices) I figured I'd work out this summer at home in my garage. The weights I have kinda suck in that they're metal and I'm looking for rubber weights I can throw to the ground.

Kind of hard to buy a rubber weight set in like a sporting good store. I know for sure you can buy them from Modell's or Dick's (regular weights that is).

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Check Craigslist. Pretty sure that's what most people in W&W do. Ordering a set of plates online is going to be expensive plus absurd shipping costs.

e: Just out of curiosity, I checked CL in my area and I think I need a tetanus shot just from looking at this:
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/spo/2960473155.html

:stonk:
Yeah, this is the majority of what I've found. Nothing good. For shits and gigs, I looked up weight sets on Rogue Fitness and (shipping included) it's $500 for a 260lbs. set. It's not as bad as I thought, but yeah that's a lot.

I think I may just go back to Crossfit for the summer.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Gio posted:

Yeah, this is the majority of what I've found. Nothing good. For shits and gigs, I looked up weight sets on Rogue Fitness and (shipping included) it's $500 for a 260lbs. set. It's not as bad as I thought, but yeah that's a lot.

I think I may just go back to Crossfit for the summer.

Cheaper to go to the gym at that point. My gym membership comes out to $600 for the year.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

That reminds me.

I wanted a pair of these since... forever

http://www.amazon.com/Bowflex-SelectTech-1090-Adjustable-Dumbbell/dp/B000OC5RXE/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1334943959&sr=1-2

So many exercises I could do with these. gently caress.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Surfing Turtle posted:

Cheaper to go to the gym at that point. My gym membership comes out to $600 for the year.
A buddy of mine goes to LA Fitness and has been trying to persuade me to get a membership now that I'm graduating and won't be able to use the school's gym. (Actually I don't know their alumni policy or w/e but I could probably exploit that gym from here to eternity without anyone noticing.) I told him he should just drop the cash and go to Crossfit because he's getting nothing out of LA. I'm sure as hell not dropping money at LA or Planet Fitness or Lifetime because I know I'd never get my money's worth there.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Gio posted:

A buddy of mine goes to LA Fitness and has been trying to persuade me to get a membership now that I'm graduating and won't be able to use the school's gym. (Actually I don't know their alumni policy or w/e but I could probably exploit that gym from here to eternity without anyone noticing.) I told him he should just drop the cash and go to Crossfit because he's getting nothing out of LA. I'm sure as hell not dropping money at LA or Planet Fitness or Lifetime because I know I'd never get my money's worth there.

Really depends on what you do when you're at the gym. Some people need a group thing to get them to work out or just a program to follow. I just started following a 5X5 program and I love it.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Surfing Turtle posted:

Really depends on what you do when you're at the gym. Some people need a group thing to get them to work out or just a program to follow. I just started following a 5X5 program and I love it.
That's me. I need a group, and I need to be told what to do. I get bored quick, and generally hate the atmosphere at regular gyms. My friend is the same way, even if he says he isn't. He's had a gym membership for at least two years and he's as scrawny as ever.

Plus I like the people at the one I went to.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you do sign up with a gym, make sure to check every gym in your area and read reviews online.

LA Fitness has a horrible reputation for charging you membership even after you cancel. Granted, most gyms have this problem, but some are less of a problem than others.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

That reminds me.

I wanted a pair of these since... forever

http://www.amazon.com/Bowflex-SelectTech-1090-Adjustable-Dumbbell/dp/B000OC5RXE/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1334943959&sr=1-2

So many exercises I could do with these. gently caress.

I've got the 552's and they were absolutely perfect for when I did P90X at home. Toward the end, 52.5lbs or whatever the max is, wasn't enough for some of the back days.

If you really want them, keep an eye on Slick Deals. Bowflex puts them on sale all the time. I set up an alert on there, and I'd get an email whenever something went up with Bowflex in the title. Only took me about a month before I got a hit on the 552's. I think I got my set for $250-$300 instead of the $500 or whatever retail they go for.

My employer has a surprisingly awesome gym on campus, so I just lift on my lunch break. :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Thanks for the tip on slickdeals. I'll keep an eye out. I'd never get the 552's, but I would love to have a pair of the 1090's at a good price.