Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Or maybe a guy who's closing in on 40 years old just can't scream like a 20 year old? I'm 27, haven't spent my life doing drugs and yelling and I don't particularly enjoy raising my voice either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

ATDI are doing a show at splendour in the grass IN AUSTRALIA:D !

(I bet you after the shows they break up again)

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Or maybe a guy who's closing in on 40 years old just can't scream like a 20 year old? I'm 27, haven't spent my life doing drugs and yelling and I don't particularly enjoy raising my voice either.

You can learn to emulate throat shredding vocals through a bunch of techniques that I can't remember the name of (I think glottal compression was one of the phrases thrown around) but then Cedric would have to relearn how to sing just for the sake of rehashing 12 year old music, which probably isn't high on his priorities.

Also, having watched a bunch of ATDI performances (and early TMV stuff), it was really weird to watch Omar play the exact parts from the album.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Maybe they shouldn't have bothered with the reunion, then?

Like, I'm sure they got bills to pay, but poo poo.

yrF
Jun 23, 2009

So Noctourniquet is the last TMV album with Dictator Omar. I can't wait to hear how the sound will change. I'm hoping that they add some more members; I miss the horn sections. The horns are my favorite part of Amputechture.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp3PrJJBRrw

Just watched this "Questions From Fans" video in which Cedric says that the lesson he took away from recording Noctourniquet was to make his songs shorter and more concise like the pop music he listens to. He said he thinks it's a special medium, to be able to fit all your ideas into just a few minutes and have them stand out and such.

So does this mean no more long, multi-part songs from TMV? Because I'd be disappointed if that were the case :smith:

De-Loused had this to an extent and it worked loving spectacularly there, and it works well enough on Noctourniquet too, but I'd definitely be sad if they never came out with another album like Frances The Mute or Amputechture, at least in structure.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp3PrJJBRrw

Just watched this "Questions From Fans" video in which Cedric says that the lesson he took away from recording Noctourniquet was to make his songs shorter and more concise like the pop music he listens to. He said he thinks it's a special medium, to be able to fit all your ideas into just a few minutes and have them stand out and such.

So does this mean no more long, multi-part songs from TMV? Because I'd be disappointed if that were the case :smith:

De-Loused had this to an extent and it worked loving spectacularly there, and it works well enough on Noctourniquet too, but I'd definitely be sad if they never came out with another album like Frances The Mute or Amputechture, at least in structure.

Yeah, I think they're done progging out. Which is too bad because that is exactly what I love(d) about TMV.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

While I also love the proggy aspects of TMV, I'm not really worried at all because I'm sure Omar will continue to experiment in his various solo albums and ensembles and a lot of that is still very proggy, epic, experimental, etc.

I like some of his solo work and fusion groups even better than TMV for that reason, and many of his projects have a very similar lineup to TMV anyway.

It's too bad that he and Ximena broke up though.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?

My favorite part from the ATDI stream :3:

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
Omar's comments about ceding more creative control and Cedric's comments about reigning in his lyrics, I don't see how we aren't going to get better music as a result. The Mars Volta hasn't really changed in their sound or style in any significant fashion since De-Loused, which is funny to me when I see so much love for it and, while I loved it and had it on repeat for literally two years after its release, I've since stopped listening to it and started listening to the stuff that supposedly inspires the band. So, why is it that Pink Floyd can conjure more heartache and melody out of four chords and three verses with "Wish You Were Here" but The Mars Volta's greatest successes require like eight to fifteen minutes and have huge useless sections (the aforementioned "dripping water" sequence)? Even that band got away from long-winded instrumental sections and focused in on a more pop-style writing, and the result was Dark Side of the Moon.

I guess what I'm saying is that the more these two can pull their heads out of their asses and take a look around, the better for the rest of us at home listening.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

vanov posted:

Omar's comments about ceding more creative control and Cedric's comments about reigning in his lyrics, I don't see how we aren't going to get better music as a result. The Mars Volta hasn't really changed in their sound or style in any significant fashion since De-Loused, which is funny to me when I see so much love for it and, while I loved it and had it on repeat for literally two years after its release, I've since stopped listening to it and started listening to the stuff that supposedly inspires the band. So, why is it that Pink Floyd can conjure more heartache and melody out of four chords and three verses with "Wish You Were Here" but The Mars Volta's greatest successes require like eight to fifteen minutes and have huge useless sections (the aforementioned "dripping water" sequence)? Even that band got away from long-winded instrumental sections and focused in on a more pop-style writing, and the result was Dark Side of the Moon.

I guess what I'm saying is that the more these two can pull their heads out of their asses and take a look around, the better for the rest of us at home listening.

I think Deloused was a lot more "poppy" in the way it was written. The structures were longer but the songs were really intact from a technical/theory point of view. They had really good melodic hooks the way pop songs do. The jammy instrumental parts were distributed between really solid verses and choruses. De-Loused also had them working with a producer, which they haven't since. I think working with a 3rd party like that got them to actually pull their heads out of their asses and look around, as you put it, but Omar found it "stifling" or something.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

If they end up making De-Loused Part 2 as a result of this...well I'm not gonna lie, I'd be pretty loving stoked. Though I don't know how likely that is at this point. And I'd still miss their prog stuff.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
We'll always have Omar's prodigious nature of bringing out a fuckton of solo albums.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I really really don't understand the pessimism towards TMV's more recent releases and the way they relate to de-loused. The importance of that album cannot be overstated, of course, but the idea we're somehow losing something or that TMV changing is for the worse, I don't get it, and more so, I completely disagree.

I'll admit, De-loused was an important landmark on my life. Not only did in influence me to pick up the guitar and learn it because up until that point, my sheltered experience with music meant that I'd never even heard guitar that sounded anywhere near like that, but even more so, I didn't even know that was possible. Guitar always sounded kind of plain to me. The more I learnt about the musicality of De-loused as a whole, the more I decided to learn about music as a whole. I sought out new bands, learnt more music theory, learnt more instruments, taught myself how to use digital audio workstations, learnt about music production and so on. Listening to that album as a dumb teenager was almost like an awakening, it was a major event in my life.

Now, I don't know if you could call me a 'fanboy' of sorts. That album just kinda opened my eyes to music as an artform and set off a domino like effect of musical discovery. But I still dearly love that album and will defend its importance in the realm of modern pop music to the death.

But, Omar as a person, and an artist, you'd have to see how he approaches it from his perspective. Evolving as an artist is important, and changing your methods and approach to music changes you, teaches you things. I'm paraphrasing him here, but he readily acknowledges that every artist has themes and ideas that permeate every facet of their work, it's just that each release is a different 'colour'. He could make a pop, rock, prog, ska, big band, grindcore, whatever album, and it'll sound like Omar Rodriguez Lopez wrote and produced it. But, at the same time, those colours change, and the sound of his releases changes with it, it's just that those themes continue and being able to tell it's something he made is almost sub-conscious.

There's only one TMV release that I've downright disliked so far, and that was Octahedron. It wasn't because of the stripped down sound, it was because it was boring and lazy, and that drive to change his method resulted in something that sounded amatuer, because, well, he didn't know what the gently caress he was doing. But I think he learned something important and applied it to Noctourniquet, in that you can strip down and simplify the sound while staying true to yourself. You don't have to betray or throw away those themes that make you unique as an artist.

So, to me, (almost) every release subsequent to De-loused has been a pleasant surprise in some way. Another great example of a steady evolution is Mastodon's change from sludgy, grindy, heavy as gently caress metal (which I love) to classic prog hard rock that takes you to another place. I don't lament that change, but I also am not particularly attached to any particular album they've made. I like each one in a different way.

Instantoxen
Apr 22, 2006
cat doter, octahedron was an album that was intended to show the record company that 'pop mars volta' is stupid. The albums sold horribly, which is why they've come back with Noctourniquet.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Instantoxen posted:

cat doter, octahedron was an album that was intended to show the record company that 'pop mars volta' is stupid. The albums sold horribly, which is why they've come back with Noctourniquet.

What.

You're saying that they intentionally made a record that was subpar so that they could...

What.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Intentionally making a mediocre album to send a message to a record company isnt exactly unheard of.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
What about intentionally mediocre haircuts?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I have to say though, if that was their intent I don't think they really got the message across. Octahedron wasn't so much poppy as it was just boring. A well executed Pop Mars Volta would probably be along the lines of a more condensed Viscera Eyes

Monroe
May 7, 2010
I've been watching these Q&A's with Cedric they've been putting out on Youtube. He said that the name Noctourniquet came from a story he's writing. Does anyone think he'll ever publish/release any of these stories like how Jim Morrison published "The Lords and the New Creatures"? I'd love to read his non Volta stuff.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

He did it with De-Loused, so maybe.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

WASDF posted:

He did it with De-Loused, so maybe.

Wait, there's a published book about the story of De-Loused? :monocle:

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Wait, there's a published book about the story of De-Loused? :monocle:

Yep.

http://www.tmvfr.info/miscfiles/DeLoused_storybook.pdf

brandino
Apr 15, 2002

Ikey played with Jack White tonight on the Colbert Report :3: . Looks like he's played with him before on SNL, too.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm not a huge Mars Volta fan, I pretty much liked Deloused then completely failed to get into the next couple of albums. Then Bedlam came out and I loving loved it. Octahedron I've listened to like 3 times since I got it. It's utterly boring :(

I'm loving loving Noctourniquet because there's no arsing around, it's just a non-stop stream of catchy rock songs. Brilliant.

I went to the Big Day Out in Sydney in 2010 when Mars Volta were here. For some reason they were between, like, Lily Allen and Powderfinger, I think. Which is an absolutely bizarre slot to put them in. Anyway none of my friends there had heard of them, and I was like "No these guys are really good, just give them a chance!" Then TMV came out and started with like 15 minutes of atonal, arrhythmic guitar noises. So we left the main stage and watched Calvin Harris's set instead. I wish TMV had just played their actual songs the one time I got to see them live :(

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Um, theyre my favorite band I saw them here in WA, had some weed and acid and they played for 10 minutes and then stormed off stage because someone threw pee at them.

:smith:

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Um, theyre my favorite band I saw them here in WA, had some weed and acid and they played for 10 minutes and then stormed off stage because someone threw pee at them.

:smith:
I do not blame them.

Monroe
May 7, 2010
New Omar album: http://omarrodriguezlopez.bandcamp.com/album/un-coraz-n-de-nadie

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Best part: we'll be getting 13 albums over the next 13 weeks.

gently caress yes, Bromar.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Is that his mom on the cover?

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Earwicker posted:

Is that his mom on the cover?

That's what the prevailing theory is - its Omar's tribute album to his recently-deceased mother.

quote:

He was very quiet last year releasing no new solo albums.... this year will be different Omar Rodriguez Lopez - Surprise here is Week 1 http://omarrodriguezlopez.bandcamp.com/alb...oraz-n-de-nadie

-Sargent House Facebook

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Wish I could buy it now.

Don We Now
Apr 18, 2005

For those of you who don't habla espanola, "El Poptart" is Spanish for.... The Poptart.

Holy gently caress. He sounds a little distraught... :psyboom:

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Webbeh posted:

Best part: we'll be getting 13 albums over the next 13 weeks.

gently caress yes, Bromar.

Huh? I clicked the link and can't find anything on that. Am I blind or what?

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Happy Hippo posted:

Huh? I clicked the link and can't find anything on that. Am I blind or what?

It's not from that link. My apologies, noodlers.

http://www.formspring.me/sargenthouse/q/324781672711089439

quote:

Q: Hi Cathy, I suppose these Omar trilogy albums are somehow related to each other, are you going to do some kind of bundle for the three albums or something like that?

A: they are not related and we have something new in mind... stay tuned it's going to be on hell of a bunch of new releases from camp omar coming soon

http://forum.thecomatorium.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=124671&view=findpost&p=3524939

quote:

Q: How much money should I set aside for Omar purchases, assuming I'm buying everything that comes out.

A: 13 records worth of cash

travel by foot
Jul 31, 2006
While listening to Noctourniquet and Vedamalady (track 9) comes on. Is it just me or does anyone else get flash backs to being 11 years old and flipping the power switch on the SNES to kick your best friend's rear end in Street Fighter 2?

travel by foot fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 28, 2012

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

No, I heard that before from someone else. Seems to be a common thing.

Also, did anyone expect a bit more transparency in their vinyl? Mine is just like YELLOW! and BLUE! in your face. Pretty solid.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Any word on these supposed thirteen records?

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Happy Hippo posted:

Any word on these supposed thirteen records?

Apparently Sargent House retracted the "13 records in 13 weeks" statement, instead saying they'll release them whenever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY
The Mars Volta - The Malkin Jewel + Broken English Jam pro-shot.

It's well worth 15 minutes of your time.

• Locked thread