Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cervixalot posted:

How many issues is The Unwritten set to go for? I just marathoned 30-35 last night on Comixology last night and hot drat, I don't want this story to finish!

Mike C hasn't given a fixed number, but I vaguely recall the number 50 being bruited about a couple of years ago. Then again, this is the guy who said Lucifer would finish with issue 60.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Jedit posted:

Mike C hasn't given a fixed number, but I vaguely recall the number 50 being bruited about a couple of years ago. Then again, this is the guy who said Lucifer would finish with issue 60.

And it instead finished at 75. 75 seems to be the capstone for anything that isn't Fables and Hellblazer, but it feels like Unwritten could wrap up in another 12 issues if it had to (I'm guessing around 60 though)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

bairfanx posted:

75 seems to be the capstone for anything that isn't Fables and Hellblazer

Where do you get that idea from? Only three Vertigo books ever ended at 75, and of those The Books of Magic was the only one where it was planned to do so - Sandman and Lucifer both overran. It's more common to have a planned finish at 60; Transmetropolitan, The Dreaming, Scalped and Y: The Last Man all finish as planned at that number.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Jedit posted:

Where do you get that idea from? Only three Vertigo books ever ended at 75, and of those The Books of Magic was the only one where it was planned to do so - Sandman and Lucifer both overran. It's more common to have a planned finish at 60; Transmetropolitan, The Dreaming, Scalped and Y: The Last Man all finish as planned at that number.

I meant that things don't generally pass 75 (you could say Lucifer and Sandman did with their unnecessary later stuff like Nirvana and Endless Nights).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

bairfanx posted:

I meant that things don't generally pass 75 (you could say Lucifer and Sandman did with their unnecessary later stuff like Nirvana and Endless Nights).

OK, I get you. You did forget 100 Bullets, though - but not Swamp Thing, as I think it hit 75 before Vertigo launched.

Right, pedantry over, we now return you to your scheduled thread. :)

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
~Where's Sitka? Right about the middle of your thumb.~

bairfanx posted:

Unnecessary? The High Cost of Living, Endless Nights, and the Dream Hunters are possibly my fav Sandman pieces.

I guess I don't understand whether you mean they don't directly further the story, or that they're poor an we're unnecessarily done.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Rama of Ra posted:

Unnecessary? The High Cost of Living, Endless Nights, and the Dream Hunters are possibly my fav Sandman pieces.

I guess I don't understand whether you mean they don't directly further the story, or that they're poor an we're unnecessarily done.

Supplemental is probably a better choice of words

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

The deluxe editions of 100 Bullets really can't come out fast enough.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
And hey, DMZ ended at 72. I wonder why nobody really talks about it. Is it the politics? I would, but I haven't read the whole series.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper
I just borrowed and read the entirety of American Vampire so far. I am unimpressed. Skinner Sweet is obviously a great character, and I laughed out loud several times, but the rest of the series was pretty flat. It reads like a minor Stephen King story.

I just don't understand all the praise that the series is getting. Can someone give me some reasons that they really enjoy it? I just feel like there is something that I am missing, but maybe it is something that either clicks or doesn't.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Kunzelman posted:

I just borrowed and read the entirety of American Vampire so far. I am unimpressed. Skinner Sweet is obviously a great character, and I laughed out loud several times, but the rest of the series was pretty flat. It reads like a minor Stephen King story.

I just don't understand all the praise that the series is getting. Can someone give me some reasons that they really enjoy it? I just feel like there is something that I am missing, but maybe it is something that either clicks or doesn't.

You're not alone. I read the first trade and said "well, that was okay I guess" and haven't really looked back at the series.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
We have an American Vampire thread, pop over there we need more than me and the OP posting there!

As for DMZ, I lost all interest in it during the Parco arc and never picked it back up. It started off great, but lost its steam.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
So what are the chance that John's nephew is either dead due to him or life is completly hosed up due to him?

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper

Soonmot posted:

We have an American Vampire thread, pop over there we need more than me and the OP posting there!

As for DMZ, I lost all interest in it during the Parco arc and never picked it back up. It started off great, but lost its steam.
I had no idea! I'll go post over there when I get off work. Thanks for the heads up.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Benny the Snake just made it a few days ago, it's a really good OP, but we need more friends.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Soonmot posted:

Benny the Snake just made it a few days ago, it's a really good OP, but we need more friends.
Yep, I made it. It's right here.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jedit posted:

OK, I get you. You did forget 100 Bullets, though - but not Swamp Thing, as I think it hit 75 before Vertigo launched.

Right, pedantry over, we now return you to your scheduled thread. :)

Preacher had 66 regular issues and 9 extras so there's another 75 for the list. Back around issue 40 of 100B when it wasn't selling so hot Azzarello talked about wrapping it up at issue #60 if sales kept falling.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Working my way through some old Hellblazers again, and goddamn but Steve Dillon doesn't have more than about 8-10 total faces he can draw, does he?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Pope Guilty posted:

Working my way through some old Hellblazers again, and goddamn but Steve Dillon doesn't have more than about 8-10 total faces he can draw, does he?

It took every bit of Garth Ennis' writing to get me through Preacher because of Steve Dillon.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

RevKrule posted:

It took every bit of Garth Ennis' writing to get me through Preacher because of Steve Dillon.

I always thought Preacher had some of Dillon's BETTER variety of faces (sometimes). He seems to have gotten WORSE with faces over the years, almost like he got into a routine.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
Man, Fables used to be the one title I picked up every month. Had the full collection of trades, posted on the official forums and everything. I gave up hoping it would turn around about a year ago, and I find I hardly even miss it. I even genuinely enjoyed it shortly after the war ended, but it was quickly clear Willingham didn't have much inspiration and started putting more emphasis on his original characters like, ugh, the cubs.

I wish I could have old Fables back, or at least some closure in the form of a real ending.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I gave up on Fables because it seemed more and more likely that the next issue would just be "gently caress Arabs" in 72-point Impact font, over and over and over.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Pope Guilty posted:

I gave up on Fables because it seemed more and more likely that the next issue would just be "gently caress Arabs" in 72-point Impact font, over and over and over.

Having only experienced Fables via the hardback trades, at what point(issue-wise) am I supposed to jump ship? Everyone here makes it sound like the series just goes straight to poo poo, but I don't think I'm there yet

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Karnegal posted:

Having only experienced Fables via the hardback trades, at what point(issue-wise) am I supposed to jump ship? Everyone here makes it sound like the series just goes straight to poo poo, but I don't think I'm there yet

When they defeat the adversary

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
The seemingly obvious place to jump ship at is Issue 75, where they finally beat the Adversary. I personally reccomend sticking through at least the next arc, through 81 or so, as it explains and contextualizes the seemingly "deus ex machina" outcome of issue 75.

After that initial arc, the story drags its feet for about twenty issues or so and you can bow out. But definitely check out through "The Dark Ages" TPB if you want a semblence of closure.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Karnegal posted:

You'll feel it for yourself, the quality of the writing starts to slowly slide. As others have said, it's about the time of the Adversary going down, but you'll be able to judge for yourself. I've yet to meet anyone who said the quality was 100% exactly the same from then til now.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mister Roboto posted:

I always thought Preacher had some of Dillon's BETTER variety of faces (sometimes). He seems to have gotten WORSE with faces over the years, almost like he got into a routine.

Pretty much this. Dillon is a damned good artist and a favourite of mine for many years, but he's become lazy. You can actually see the rot set in as Preacher progresses - compare Tulip and Cassidy in issue 1 with the same characters in issue 65 and you'd almost be forgiven for not knowing they're the same people.

meltor
Sep 28, 2002

The Modern Gentleman

OldMemes posted:

Anyone get The New Deadwardians? I'm thinking about picking up a copy when I go into town later in the week.

I know this response is a month late, but...

The first two issues have been really well done. It's a murder mystery set amongst zombies and vampires. But those typical character sets are developed much, much differently than you expect.

You can tell Abnett has thought through where he wants this to go and I appreciate that thoughtfulness.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Mystery in Space #1 good? Worth $8 on Comixology?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Fables may have started sucking a long time ago but at least all the b-plots about Bufkin are fun. I'm half hoping he goes on to kill everyone and become the new Adversary. But that won't happen and it's going to just get more and more stagnant until sales finally drop off enough that it just ends.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Benny the Snake posted:

And hey, DMZ ended at 72. I wonder why nobody really talks about it. Is it the politics? I would, but I haven't read the whole series.

I really actually like DMZ. I'd been reading in trades and have covered all but the last two. I'll agree it started to get strange towards the end. Matty gets way to involved and stuff gets really screwed up as a result, but I'm curious to see how it wraps up.

It's mostly budget reasons that have held me back... but I'm anxious to see how Matty fixes the mess he's made for himself.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Mystery in Space #1 good? Worth $8 on Comixology?

It was certainly worth $8 in print, so take that for whatever you'd like, I don't know how much paying for something and not having a physical copy matters to you.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot

Len posted:

Fables may have started sucking a long time ago but at least all the b-plots about Bufkin are fun. I'm half hoping he goes on to kill everyone and become the new Adversary. But that won't happen and it's going to just get more and more stagnant until sales finally drop off enough that it just ends.
They just started a new spinoff; maybe they're hedging that will take off?

Jack of Fables was awesome untill after Burner died, where it was obvious they had no clue where they were ever going with it. I was EXTREMELY hypes for the crossover, but it left a sour taste in my mouth. There was some fun stuff done with the Literals, but overall the main Fables book was barely a part of the storyline and it had no effect on it.

The Hyborean stuff with Jack Frost I actually rather enjoyed, it wasn't Jack of Fables anymore, but it was fun for what it was. The final arc, when they returned to the main Jack storyline, was a complete waste of time.

Honestly, Fables peaked at #50, and I would say that might be the most satisfying endpoint for readers. It's so depressing to me that the series is dying, because I was a huge, huge fan. I was so excited to get 1001 Night of Snowfall, and speculated endlessly about the cosmology being laid out in Jack.

I guess Willingham was always kind of lovely and I never saw the signs. Everything up until the "Israel Analogy" passed under my radar, and even that I didn't think was problematic at the time. Still, you gotta admit: The Last Castle was awesome.

Illumination
Jan 26, 2009

Whats the deal with the Swamp Thing trades? Are the issues in the hardcovers collected in the the same manner as the paperbacks? I have the first 4 paperbacks I got years ago and I never got around to getting the last 2.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Man, Paul Cornell's gotta throw me a drat bone with Saucer Country already. This is one of the slowest things I've ever read. #4 didn't even have that one guy pulling a Baltar with those tiny alien people.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I loved Day Tripper, I actually had to buy it since my English class had it as a required book to read, which was awesome.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Can you tell me who the professor was so I can write them an e-mail and thank them? I love that book so much.

meltor
Sep 28, 2002

The Modern Gentleman

achillesforever6 posted:

I loved Day Tripper, I actually had to buy it since my English class had it as a required book to read, which was awesome.

I'll second the Daytripper support in this thread.

If you haven't read it, do it. It's a really thoughtful story examining what one values in life.

Also the art is pretty.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Danzou posted:

They just started a new spinoff; maybe they're hedging that will take off?

Jack of Fables was awesome untill after Burner died, where it was obvious they had no clue where they were ever going with it. I was EXTREMELY hypes for the crossover, but it left a sour taste in my mouth. There was some fun stuff done with the Literals, but overall the main Fables book was barely a part of the storyline and it had no effect on it.

The Hyborean stuff with Jack Frost I actually rather enjoyed, it wasn't Jack of Fables anymore, but it was fun for what it was. The final arc, when they returned to the main Jack storyline, was a complete waste of time.

Honestly, Fables peaked at #50, and I would say that might be the most satisfying endpoint for readers. It's so depressing to me that the series is dying, because I was a huge, huge fan. I was so excited to get 1001 Night of Snowfall, and speculated endlessly about the cosmology being laid out in Jack.

I guess Willingham was always kind of lovely and I never saw the signs. Everything up until the "Israel Analogy" passed under my radar, and even that I didn't think was problematic at the time. Still, you gotta admit: The Last Castle was awesome.

I'll agree that Fables has peaked, but I still think it's decent. I'm not totally caught up, but the recent Rose Red stuff I liked a lot. But I also thought the end of Jack was pretty funny, so maybe I'm not the best judge.

It's definitely a case of wasted potential, but I don't agree that it's turned to poo poo just yet. While the whole Israel angle was gross, that stuff is pretty much gone at this point and there are some really good character moments, even if the main story isn't as interesting.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jun 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Holy poo poo looks like this is coming for the 25th

quote:

wenty-five years after one of the most celebrated graphic novels of all-time hit shelves, award winning and critically acclaimed author and screenwriter, Neil Gaiman, announces his return to THE SANDMAN. Gaiman made the surprise announcement, via video, at DC Entertainment’s Vertigo panel at this year’s San Diego Comic-Con. Karen Berger, Executive Editor of Vertigo, then revealed that Gaiman is paired with artist, JH Williams III (BATWOMAN) for the series, who appeared on stage to an already stunned and elated crowd. THE SANDMAN mini-series will be published by Vertigo in 2013.

One of the few graphic novels ever to be on the New York Times Best Seller list and lauded by critics the world over, THE SANDMAN is credited with changing the path of storytelling in the comic book industry. Gaiman will pick up his pen for the first time in more than 10 years since ending the series to continue a story that he feels still has yet to be told.

"When I finished writing THE SANDMAN, there was one tale still untold. The story of what had happened to Morpheus to allow him to be so easily captured in THE SANDMAN #1, and why he was returned from far away, exhausted beyond imagining, and dressed for war. It was a story that we discussed telling for SANDMAN's 20th anniversary... but the time got away from us. And now, with SANDMAN's 25th anniversary year coming up, I'm delighted, and nervous, that that story is finally going to be told,” said Gaiman.

"There's nothing like a Neil Gaiman story," said Berger, "and there's nothing like having Neil back home on THE SANDMAN, his dark, soulful, literary epic that transformed comics and continues to captivate countless new readers year after year. Working with him again, and with JH Williams, the extraordinary and groundbreaking artist, is truly the stuff dreams are made of."

DC Entertainment Co-Publishers Jim Lee and Dan DiDio added, “As accomplished as Neil Gaiman is in other media—whether it be novels, film and even music—he still has an incredible passion and love for comics. It’s exciting to have him back. J.H. Williams will be the perfect complement to Neil’s writing. He has a history of creating art that pushes the boundaries of the medium.”

Each issue of THE SANDMAN mini-series will be published day-and-date digitally. The title will be announced at a later date.

• Locked thread