Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I know Sunny can sing. I was just saying that if you were to categorize the vocals for SNSD, she (and Jessica) would be categorized differently from Taeyeon, Tiffany, and Seohyun.

We're talking about style here, not talent, since we were talking about what kind of concept the sub-unit would have.

Also let's just take a moment here to acknowledge how awesome Miryo is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.

saintonan posted:

Just when you think Sunny is all aegyo and chicken catching, she does something like this. She can hold her own with any of the others in the group, I think only Taeyeon is clearly more talented.

Yeah I've been listening to that ever since it came out. Sunny's parts are great, but I also really like Miryo's rapping. They really go well together.

I also love this cover version Tiffany did of Umbrella:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AeYT6plYck

edit: I just realized this may be the single most positive post I've ever made on SA. Korean girl groups are unshrivelling my cold, freeze-dried, vacuum-packed heart.

reflir fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 20, 2012

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
Miryo's solo album is outstanding and you should all own it

Selane
May 19, 2006

I've always maintained that Seohyun is the second best vocalist in SNSD, but the point is that people who say they can't sing are pretty poorly informed. There are actually more members that are good vocalists(Taeyeon/Tiffany/Jessica/Sunny/Seohyun) than aren't. And the other four are all good dancers, so there you go.

T. Couchfucker posted:

Miryo is cool to begin with, and with songs featuring the likes of Sunny and Gary, you can't go wrong!

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

Selane posted:

Miryo is cool to begin with, and with songs featuring the likes of Sunny and Gary, you can't go wrong!

Everyone in BEG is cool & talented as poo poo and all their solo stuff is excellent.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

T. Couchfucker posted:

Import CDs are expensive and digital music doesn't always seem to be distributed by who it's supposed to be. :( But yeah, Miryo is a legit rapper and her music is really loving solid.

Are there any good programs that have BEG together on it, rather than just one of the members?

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
SeoHyun is a great singer (take her new OST for example, it's incredible), but Tiffany is definitely the second best singer in SNSD. Great power and range and a lot of emotion.

As I mentioned before, Narsha's solo album is incredible. Apart from the tack on teaser tracks at the end, it's pretty much 100% perfect.

Is this becoming the Korean music thread?

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

Jamesman posted:

Import CDs are expensive and digital music doesn't always seem to be distributed by who it's supposed to be. :( But yeah, Miryo is a legit rapper and her music is really loving solid.

Are there any good programs that have BEG together on it, rather than just one of the members?

http://www.yesasia.com/us/search/miryo/0-0-0-bpt.48_q.Miryo-en/list.html

Free international shipping!

On the program question I'm sure they've been on something as a foursome but nothing variety that I can think of, although there's a good Adam couple double ep. that I'm guessing you haven't gotten to yet.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

I know I've seen them on a variety show with other girl groups, but I don't remember which one. It may have been a one-off special too. All I do remember is the host (Shinyoung?) calling them out for paying no attention to what was going on, compared to (I think T-ara and Miss A?) being very attentive, which was funny.

They were also in that Chuseok special where Sunny, Sooyoung and Jessica did an 'I kissed a girl' performance and that ended in Hara slamming herself face first into concrete.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
It's not the whole group, but the Happy together episode with Narsha and Ga-in is a great one.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

reflir posted:

They were also in that Chuseok special where Sunny, Sooyoung and Jessica did an 'I kissed a girl' performance and that ended in Hara slamming herself face first into concrete.
There should probably be a list somewhere of idols falling over amusingly. It seems to happen a lot.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

sharktamer posted:

It's not the whole group, but the Happy together episode with Narsha and Ga-in is a great one.

Do you know the episode number? I tried searching for it on youtube and only found clips. Is the the same episode that has Kim Jong Kook as a guest as well? If so, it's a must watch for me. :v:

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

Lyer posted:

Do you know the episode number? I tried searching for it on youtube and only found clips. Is the the same episode that has Kim Jong Kook as a guest as well? If so, it's a must watch for me. :v:

I came across this today because I spent most of the day watching Yoon Eun Hye clips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5Pg9_mYX68

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

Lyer posted:

Your googlecraft is weak, here you go http://ithetimes.wordpress.com/2011/03/12/eng-sub-100211-happy-together-3-ep-136/

edit: granted, it's shittyenny quality, but the only other subs I was able to find were vietnamese.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

T. Couchfucker posted:

I came across this today because I spent most of the day watching Yoon Eun Hye clips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5Pg9_mYX68

Xman is one of the best old-school Korean shows. :3:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

T. Couchfucker posted:

On the program question I'm sure they've been on something as a foursome but nothing variety that I can think of, although there's a good Adam couple double ep. that I'm guessing you haven't gotten to yet.

If you're talking about the BEG/2AM meet dinner party and bowling date, I saw it and it was glorious. I even already posted about it and said they should have made them all official WGM couples.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

General question about Korean culture/pop culture as well, but how is North Korea viewed by the public? I know the American media portrays North Korea as a huge concern and threat to the states, but I'm curious as to how the people living right next door to it think.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

With apathy.

No one really gives it much thought here. Little kids sometimes joke about the north (haha! Youre north Korean!) but thats it.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

BrainDance posted:

With apathy.

No one really gives it much thought here. Little kids sometimes joke about the north (haha! Youre north Korean!) but thats it.

Yeah. I mean, the news makes note of it when the NK government issues statements saying that "Seoul will be in ruins" or some other empty threat, but no one really pays attention.

We tend to forget major events pretty quickly. I mean, I remember how loving severe the atmosphere was after the sinking of the ROKS Cheonan, but everyone went to work and resumed life normally even the day right after the news agencies reported it. There was a national period of mourning after the sinking that banned variety/comedy shows on the public TV channels, but after that, I think a lot of people, including myself, just forget about it or just make note of it and go on with normal life.

Interestingly, there were a lot of people stockpiling "emergency food" like cup ramen and instant rice bowls after some of the earlier NK aggressive acts, and so while the stock market in general fell due to war fears, the stocks related to the ramen industry and such actually rose. :v: The Yeonpyeong Island shelling made the ramen sales instantly jump to 40-50% higher than before, and bottled water was something like 70-80%, I recall. The death of Kim Jong-Il didn't have a similar effect, though.

Personally, though I did watch the news reports when they received new information or whatever, and was interested in how everything developed, I really doubted war was going to happen. Sure, it was shocking and terrible when I saw the Cheonan reports and the images of Yeonpyeong burning, but then life went on. For all the incidents, I remember going to sleep a little bit later than usual, without too much worry and waking up, checking the news to see if anything happened, then went back to normal life, albeit a little bit shaken. Small talk was about NK, of course, but not much disruption in daily life. I knew that events could potentially lead to war, but without further development/escalation, I knew that it wasn't very likely.

Now, if I hear news reports of a border clash, and then more reports of further conflict around the DMZ, I'll start packing my bags and preparing hard cash, and get ready to bail.

Some conspiracy theories exist about the Cheonan sinking, but you can treat them with the same amount of skepticism as you would give the 9/11 conspiracy theories.

As for the issue of the NK/SK divide and reunification, it's really divisive. Politically, the liberal United Democratic Party (formerly the Democratic Party) has been the one pursuing the "Sunshine" policy, with the past two presidents, Kim Dae-joong and Roh Moo-Hyun. The conservative New Frontier Party (formerly named the Grand National Party), is the party of the current president Lee Myung-bak, who has taken a more aggressive/stronger stance against the north. It's a central political issue.

I think there's a generational difference as well. The older, 40+ generation tend to be rather emotionally tied to the idea of reunification, as they have lived in an undivided Korea or have been born close enough to '53 to be able to feel its divisive effects. The younger generation are less supportive--they tend to have a more pragmatic, cost-benefit approach. The president recently brought up the idea of a "reunification tax" (income tax that would go towards the fund that would be used for post-reunification reconstruction), but most of the younger generation opposed it because of the astronomical costs that would involve, and the fact that they were having enough trouble living themselves, let alone have to care for NK. The fact that they have been living in a divided Korea for all their lives probably makes them more pragmatic and less prone to thinking of reunification as a supreme "moral" goal to achieve.

Then again, you have dramas like King 2 Hearts that directly handle the issue, and have NK and SK soldiers supposedly cooperating for a common goal (and the prince/king of SK falls in love with a NK commando). And there's a movie coming out called "Korea" that covers the 1991 World Table Tennis Championships where NK and SK had an unified team and won the championships (holy hell, that moment was glorious).

Archer2338 fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 24, 2012

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Archer2338 posted:

I think there's a generational difference as well. The older, 40+ generation tend to be rather emotionally tied to the idea of reunification, as they have lived in an undivided Korea or have been born close enough to '53 to be able to feel its divisive effects. The younger generation are less supportive--they tend to have a more pragmatic, cost-benefit approach. The president recently brought up the idea of a "reunification tax" (income tax that would go towards the fund that would be used for post-reunification reconstruction), but most of the younger generation opposed it because of the astronomical costs that would involve, and the fact that they were having enough trouble living themselves, let alone have to care for NK. The fact that they have been living in a divided Korea for all their lives probably makes them more pragmatic and less prone to thinking of reunification as a supreme "moral" goal to achieve.

As an American, when I root for unification, I mean is not as South Korea taking on the burden of re-absorbing the North and educating and feeding them and whatnot. I think of it more as North Korea remaining a separate entity, just not one ruled by delusion and propaganda, making war threats and being backed by the Chinese.

Opening it up to the world, and having the world, as a whole, make the effort to help the country, and the relations between the north and south would be what's unified. So like, one day, you'll have some South Korean college kids deciding to take a road trip across the border to hit up the north for the weekend, with the attitude an American might have about heading up to Canada.

That's the dream, at least.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.
Slightly odd question, I was having trouble sleeping last night and gave Strong Heart a chance, just so happened it was the first episode with the new MCs.

What was the theme song for that episode? Is it the general show theme song because it's half-stuck in my head.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

Jamesman posted:

As an American, when I root for unification, I mean is not as South Korea taking on the burden of re-absorbing the North and educating and feeding them and whatnot. I think of it more as North Korea remaining a separate entity, just not one ruled by delusion and propaganda, making war threats and being backed by the Chinese.

Opening it up to the world, and having the world, as a whole, make the effort to help the country, and the relations between the north and south would be what's unified. So like, one day, you'll have some South Korean college kids deciding to take a road trip across the border to hit up the north for the weekend, with the attitude an American might have about heading up to Canada.

That's the dream, at least.

That's what I think, realistically, would be most likely to happen if it happens at all, as well. Hopefully it takes the Russia/China route and eventually opens up if it doesn't reunite outright. But again, a lot of the older generation have seen or been heavily influenced by their parents who had seen the split of the country first-hand. Seeing that the country has only been divided since '53, I definitely see why a lot of people want reunification to be literally combining the two countries under one government as a single country.

@Raeg: I don't know which subbing group's version you saw, but I know that iSubs puts the song titles for the BGM on the upper left hand corner. If there isn't one, maybe it's the SH theme?

Archer2338 fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 25, 2012

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

T. Couchfucker posted:

Everyone in BEG is cool & talented as poo poo and all their solo stuff is excellent.

Spot on with the group stuff and Miryo's album. I think musically, they're my favorite k-pop group. Haven't had a chance to check out the other's solo stuff, are they as good as Miryo's album? I liked all the songs on that one.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Variety Spotlight: Gag Concert

Finished: No
Episodes: Over 600
Starring: Ya, no way! Think about it. What good will it do for me to list all the people that have been on this show? You probably won't know who they are anyway if you haven't watched it! So I'll say, "Oh! Kim Jimin is on it!" and you say "Oh." But you don't know who that is even though I said their name!

So maybe you look them up on the internet, but it takes you to a Wikipedia page about a Korean football player of the same name. Is he the same Kim Jimin? Is that American football or is it soccer? You don't know!

And then I say "No, the Kim Jimin on Gag Concert is a female." So you look at another link for a Korean actress, but it's for a child actress. And you don't know if that's who I meant, and you start looking at what she's been in, and you don't see Gag Concert listed, but you look at the other stuff she's been in and it sounds neat and you get interested in watching that instead of Gag Concert. And that's just one person! No way! I'm not doing it!

Available: Fan recordings of international broadcasts with subs already added, fansubs(?)

God drat, is this show hilarious. Skit after skit is performed on stage in front of a live audience, ranging from "so-stupid-it's-funny" to "clever-as-poo poo." Many sketches are recurring, but have a shelf life of a couple months before being retired in favor of something new and fresh. Other sketches last longer, maintaining their novelty by having different characters come and go every few months.

You know how SNL has recurring sketches with characters and catchphrases? Think like that, except instead of being terrible and annoying, they're really loving funny.

The only downside is that the official subs by KBS World are pretty poorly done, and some of the sketches don't even have subs for one reason or another. But it still gets the job done and you can watch MOST of the show and laugh your rear end off at it. Which you should be doing. Right now. Go watch it now. If you don't star watching this show... huff! huff! I'll make you sit in a hot car with leather seats while wearing shorts! :mad:

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 25, 2012

strangeless
May 8, 2007

I say money, money, money, and I say hot dog! I say yes, no and I say money, money, money and I say turkey sandwich and I say jet fuel can't melt steel beams.
That was the best description of Gag Concert ever.

The only skit that I've noticed to consistently be not-translated was the one with the local guys trying to do things in the Seoul way, and I believe that was because the humor came from being unable to reproduce the really, mmmm, rounded way that Seoul people say some things... They eventually figured out a way though. If you listen between the lines (and watch plenty of Korean language TV) you can spot the gags and the translation is more of a "listen for this bit coming up."

Jamesman, I've said it before, but holy hell, thanks for introducing me to Korean TV.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

too many adjectives posted:

That was the best description of Gag Concert ever.

The only skit that I've noticed to consistently be not-translated was the one with the local guys trying to do things in the Seoul way, and I believe that was because the humor came from being unable to reproduce the really, mmmm, rounded way that Seoul people say some things... They eventually figured out a way though. If you listen between the lines (and watch plenty of Korean language TV) you can spot the gags and the translation is more of a "listen for this bit coming up."

Jamesman, I've said it before, but holy hell, thanks for introducing me to Korean TV.

I think you're talking about Seoulmate. A lot of the humor comes from the regional differences in speech and expression, so I'm not sure how funny the corner is in subtitles.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Archer2338 posted:

I think you're talking about Seoulmate. A lot of the humor comes from the regional differences in speech and expression, so I'm not sure how funny the corner is in subtitles.

There's Seoulmate, and then there's one where they teach English or something, but that sketch is still really in Korean so it still really needs subtitles to understand.

I GET what the premises are of the two sketches, but you can't just laugh at them based on getting the concepts, you know? Understanding what they're saying it pretty important. So every show, there's two sketches I skip and get to the ones that have subtitles and are funny to me.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 25, 2012

strangeless
May 8, 2007

I say money, money, money, and I say hot dog! I say yes, no and I say money, money, money and I say turkey sandwich and I say jet fuel can't melt steel beams.

Archer2338 posted:

It's not hilarious to me, but I don't skip through it. The real downer about that corner is that it's 95% catchphrase.

I do miss Back in the Day. And The Master Show.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

too many adjectives posted:

It's not hilarious to me, but I don't skip through it. The real downer about that corner is that it's 95% catchphrase.

I do miss Back in the Day. And The Master Show.

I think the twins are the favorite cast members of GagCon. Even more so than Kim Jun-Ho. What do you guys think of Kkuk-gi-do (no idea what that's subbed as)? It's getting old for me, but for like the first few times it was the most hilarious non-sensical laughter I've had in ages.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Archer2338 posted:

I think the twins are the favorite cast members of GagCon. Even more so than Kim Jun-Ho. What do you guys think of Kkuk-gi-do (no idea what that's subbed as)? It's getting old for me, but for like the first few times it was the most hilarious non-sensical laughter I've had in ages.

If you don't know what it's called, how can we tell you what we think of it? :( Which sketch is it?

Edit: From what I THINK I've gathered based on sloppy Google Translating from the wiki, it looks like a fairly recent sketch, so I probably haven't even seen it yet. Most recent episode I've watched is 611.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 26, 2012

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

Jamesman posted:

If you don't know what it's called, how can we tell you what we think of it? :( Which sketch is it?

Edit: From what I THINK I've gathered based on sloppy Google Translating from the wiki, it looks like a fairly recent sketch, so I probably haven't even seen it yet. Most recent episode I've watched is 611.

Ah, so it might not be in what you've watched.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U16q6wQbWnY
The catch is using the ending syllable of a normal sentence to start a different word and make it seem completely nonsensical and hilarious.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah, that hasn't come up yet in the episodes I've watched.

It also doesn't sound like it'll translate well at all, given how KBS World does their subs for the show. They just straight-translate all dialogue and ignore important things like honorifics and wordplay.

Kind of takes the punch of out all the cow-related comments from Double Debate.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Oh, hi.

Who are the athletes on this show?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Before we forget about Gag Concert, I wanna talk about what may be the greatest sketch: Gym God/Gym Girl.

The concept is super-fit gagman Lee Seungyoon takes two overweight gagwomen (Lee Huigyeong and Kwon Mijin) under his wing and starts training them to lose weight and get healthy. He's also accompanied by his ugly partner, Lee Jonghoon, who is more of less the Gym Devil to his Gym God.

The way I see it, if this sketch concept were done in America, the style would be exclusively on "clumsy fat person eats a lot, falls down, breaks things with their clumsy fat body." Think Chris Farley in everything he did, including dying.

Now some of this does happen here. Jokes are made regarding their weight, and they continue to poke fun about their eating habits and not being able to fit into tight clothes and whatnot, but the TRUE focus of the sketch is that the girls actually DO exercise and DO lose weight, and the real jokes are made out of the trainers and the creatively silly training regimens they present on stage.

So while you may have a joke where the girls are wearing skirts as stomach bands because they don't fit around their hips (yet), you also have jokes about Jonghoon getting dropped on his rear end for annoying them or Seungyoon's head being huge. And then they do a weigh-in and show how much they've lost since the sketch debuted and the audience is really cheering on their progress. It's a really funny, clever, and heartwarming sketch and should really earn an award or something.

skyliner
Sep 16, 2006

Archer2338 posted:

Ah, so it might not be in what you've watched.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U16q6wQbWnY
The catch is using the ending syllable of a normal sentence to start a different word and make it seem completely nonsensical and hilarious.
The last couple of episodes Boosay has translated have this sketch. I didn't realize it had anything to do with syllables. It just came off as "I'm going to act like a squirrel now".

And here's that cut of Hyoyean on Dancing with the Stars.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

skyliner posted:

The last couple of episodes Boosay has translated have this sketch. I didn't realize it had anything to do with syllables. It just came off as "I'm going to act like a squirrel now".

And here's that cut of Hyoyean on Dancing with the Stars.

Ah, so it didn't translate that well. A shame.

Explanation about the squirrel part:

The Korean for squirrel is 다람쥐 (Da-Rahm-Ji). A declamatory statement usually ends in ~다 (Da) in Korean. So at the end of that statement, you use the "da" to suddenly say squirrel and then start acting like one. So it's unexpected. Same with other ones like Ma Boy (whatever ends with Ma, go into Ma Boy etc).

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just started getting to episodes where they start translating Seoulmate. It pretty much just comes off as people acting wacky in not-so-funny ways.

Also seems like the sketch about teaching English came to an end, which is good. But now one of the recurring groups in Superstar KBS is a trio of Hallyu fans from Southeast Asia, China, and the US, which is just as confusing to me as either of those other sketches. And for some reason the guy from the US is a soldier character.

But still, like, 80% of this show translates just fine and is awesome. :)

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So I just accidentally said 'fighting!' in real life.

jsun
Jun 23, 2004

I've brought you some cake and wine

Jamesman posted:

I've been watching more Adam Couple, and I just got to the part where they have to entertain a foreigner. Um, I don't know what Gain was going for, but god drat that was one awkward conversation. "I want to kiss you and take a dump on your chest."

Kinda late, but the funniest part about that was that the foreigner dude didn't even blink at the "dump on your chest" part but was more taken aback with the "kiss you" part.

Also Gain was pretty awesome because she seemed like she didn't take poo poo from anyone. For example, the scene where she said she'd tear off Hyuna's head or something if she was Jo Kwon's previous crush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

jsun posted:

Also Gain was pretty awesome because she seemed like she didn't take poo poo from anyone. For example, the scene where she said she'd tear off Hyuna's head or something if she was Jo Kwon's previous crush.

And then for their English class, she states she wants to go to Egypt (where the supposed Oh Bang Shil is) for "killing," matter-of-factly.

I liken the style of all four members of BEG to someone like Lee Hyori. Senior idols with a lot of fight in them and little regard for their image, resulting in incredibly fun and awesome (scary) people.

• Locked thread