Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Hey, I need to buy a time-logging software. Which one should I buy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

entris posted:

Cwapface I think you need more information about two things:

1. Employment prospects as a philosophy Ph.D, and

2. Employment prospects with a law degree.

3. Employment prospects with a law degree and a philosophy Ph.D.

This may be your genuinely best option, as the joint Ph.D. seems to be an increasingly desirable (and in some cases nearly required) credential for American law professors - I don't know if the same trend exists in Australia, it'd be something you'd need to check into.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

CaptainScraps posted:

+

+

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
Prefer the Uniball Jetstreams to the Pilot G-2. Sorry I can't agree with your timekeeping recommendation Tau.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Uniball Signo is the best every day pen.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I really liked Chrometa when I was using it, for capturing computer time.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

CaptainScraps posted:

Just guess

"Thought about client while masturbating. That's probably .5, right?"

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Soothing Vapors posted:

Just guess

I've only had one client where I would even consider doing this, but it was a pro bono* matter anyway.

*More like pro boner

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

HiddenReplaced posted:

I've only had one client where I would even consider doing this, but it was a pro bono* matter anyway.

*More like pro boner
more like pro homo :smugdog:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Worrying about billables.
Chumps :smugdog:

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007
Now that school's over, wasting time on the Internet just doesn't have the same feel anymore.

Good luck to the rest of you 3Ls out there!

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Penguins Like Pies posted:

Now that school's over, wasting time on the Internet just doesn't have the same feel anymore.

Good luck to the rest of you 3Ls out there!

From the library's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last post at thee...

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

HolySwissCheese posted:

Prefer the Uniball Jetstreams to the Pilot G-2. Sorry I can't agree with your timekeeping recommendation Tau.

Uni-ball Signo Micro 207 or death!

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

diospadre posted:

Uniball Signo is the best every day pen.

It is nice having clients compliment your pen when they're signing plea agreements.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Soothing Vapors posted:

Just guess

Talk about a raw deal lol

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

Roger_Mudd posted:

Uni-ball Signo Micro 207 or death!

I actually mostly use Fisher Space Pen refills in a custom-carved pen shell that I got as a gift. I also have a few vintage Parker fountain pens that are kind of fun (like $15-30ish each on eBay).

But if I went into a Staples tomorrow and had to buy a pen, it would be a Jetstream so deal w/ it

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Private video conferencing with inmates at a jail 40 mi away. Truly we have entered the 21st century.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

nm posted:

Private video conferencing with inmates at a jail 40 mi away. Truly we have entered the 21st century.

Can you look deep into their souls and decide if they really done it over Skype? Or is image fidelity too poor to carry guilt/innocence?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Reasons why I am the greatest patent examiner ever to walk the earth:

I spent two hours on the phone with an attorney today trying to finesse allowable subject matter in a machine-translated Japanese national stage into claims in English as opposed to telling him "hmm that is interesting file a response and I'll take a look at it in four months."

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Reasons why I am the greatest patent examiner ever to walk the earth:

I spent two hours on the phone with an attorney today trying to finesse allowable subject matter in a machine-translated Japanese national stage into claims in English as opposed to telling him "hmm that is interesting file a response and I'll take a look at it in four months."

Should've asked him for a job first before being so helpful.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

HolySwissCheese posted:

Can you look deep into their souls and decide if they really done it over Skype? Or is image fidelity too poor to carry guilt/innocence?
All my clients are not guilty

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

entris posted:

I mean, let's be clear here: if an Australian with a philosophy grad degree (Masters or Ph.D) plus a law degree comes to the U.S., he will get laaaaaaidd by all the hippie philosophy undergrad ladies and by all the pre-law undergrad ladies. Australian accent + philosophy degree (ie, ability to say things that sound really intellectual and interesting) + law degree (ie, "I'm a baller, baby") = constant sex, forever.
Wait, wait. Americans find Australian accents sexy? What.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

gret posted:

Should've asked him for a job first before being so helpful.

I did manage to mention obliquely that I am looking for employment at a law firm.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I did manage to mention obliquely that I am looking for employment at a law firm.

Did you get an interview? :ohdear:

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

nm posted:

All my clients are not guilty

/

Copernic fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 20, 2012

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

/

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Cwapface posted:

I'm surprised by your surprise.

Cwapface posted:

Ha, I meant I thought about being a barrister when I was 14 in a "what do you want to be when you grow up, little boy?" sense. Probably because I liked Rumpole. I don't know. The get the whole "gee you'd make a great barrister, you're so good at arguing" thing a lot, but I know that's not what lawyering is. I could see myself potentially doing a variety of different things, but I don't have a clear picture because I don't have a clear picture of the profession, because, well, I haven't even been to law school yet.
I think it's good that you're clear about not being clear. That said, the most important thing for you to think about right now is whether, based on what you do know about the profession, you believe you would actually enjoy practicing law. If you're not really sure about that, but you do enjoy what you're doing now, and if it's reasonable to expect employment as a professor once you've finished the Ph.D, I'd recommend against law school.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Copernic posted:

This is me literally irl in every court proceeding

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Cwapface posted:

Yes, have fun.

If I were australian, I'd start every knife case with "thats not a knife."

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

Cwapface posted:

Googling "TTT law school" tells me that means "Third Tier Toilet." Nobody here talks about tiers of law schools like in the OP, but UQ is not a second-rate university by Australian standards. On various rankings of Australian universities it's usually placed anywhere from third to seventh overall. It also depends what you want to do. For instance, UQ is home to the Queensland Brain Institute, which is pretty much the place for neuroscience in the Southern Hemisphere (unless you're into epilepsy, in which case you go to Melbourne). True, Australia has about 8% the population of the USA and probably a lot less than 8% of the law schools, but UQ's still very well thought of. It's as good as I could do without moving to Sydney or further South still. I didn't mean to give the impression that it wasn't a good school for law. A TTT would be something like Edith Cowan University or the University of Wollongong. No university in Australia carries the equivalent national prestige of a top American university, but it's one of the most attractive places to have done law from an employer's perspective, especially in Brisbane.
I didn't even catch where you went to school in your initial post, and it wouldn't have meant anything to me anyway. Apologies for suggesting that you went to a crappy school, and I realize that Australia doesn't really have tiers anyway - I was just using TTT as shorthand for "crappy law school" since most of the thread is American. I don't know where the guy I talked to went to law school (I can still barely understand Australian accents), but he said it was lovely.

quote:

m what? M WHAT drat YOU!?!?
I think this was supposed to be some thoughts on the Australian legal market, which I will share now: Like the legal market in the US, I think the Australian market is becoming increasingly lovely if you aren't at the top end of the profession. Therefore, I think it makes sense to evaluate the job prospects of an LLB from UQ pretty carefully before pulling the trigger on this. PhDs in philosophy aren't generally known for their great job prospects, but if you're going to be managing a Starbucks either way, you might as well have spent your school years studying something you like instead of the law.

If you were in the US, and in the same position, I'd probably tell you not to do it and stick with your PhD. You're in the enviable position of having found something that you like doing and that you're good at; meanwhile, lawyers, in addition to being chronically underemployed, are generally miserable depressed alcoholics. Unless you have some burning passion for the law (which wanting to be a barrister when you were a kid, or liking to argue, isn't), I don't think it makes any sense to take the LLB.

Ani fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 21, 2012

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

Ersatz posted:

I'm surprised by your surprise.
Whenever I hear an Australian accent in the context of an American or English TV show, I'm quite acutely aware of what slack-jawed dickheads we sound. I assume everybody else hears the same thing.

quote:

I think it's good that you're clear about not being clear. That said, the most important thing for you to think about right now is whether, based on what you do know about the profession, you believe you would actually enjoy practicing law. If you're not really sure about that, but you do enjoy what you're doing now, and if it's reasonable to expect employment as a professor once you've finished the Ph.D, I'd recommend against law school.
I think will find certain aspects of it incredibly interesting and rewarding, while others will bore me to tears. I imagine this is par for the course. I've never identified with the phrase 'detail-oriented', but I suppose I am. I am intensely analytical and far more concerned with technicalities than the big picture.

I don't really know if I'd enjoy practicing law, because like I said I don't know enough about the profession and what practicing law entails on a daily basis. I know studying it won't be a problem for me. I may well find I absolutely love some aspect of it, or I may not. I don't know how I can know if I'll enjoy practicing law if I haven't even studied it. If I end up hating the law I'll be pretty surprised, but I don't know if I'd love practicing it either. I *think* I could be very good at it, but I'm not burning with desire to speak in court or anything. But nor am I burning with desire to earn gently caress all as a research fellow in some lovely institute for research in applied ethics for the next ten years either. Practicing law sounds appealing as something to try, put it that way.

And it is definitely not reasonable to expect professorship in philosophy. There are a dozen faculty members in my university's philosophy department, all PhDs over 40, all coordinating their own courses, not a single professor or associate professor. This is literally because there is no money to pay these academics who by all rights should have been given tenure a decade ago. There's a professor emeritus still kicking around the place, but he doesn't lecture anymore. There's a faculty member leaving at the end of the year and they'll interview for a chair then. This isn't a crappy department either. One faculty member is one of the world's foremost experts on Descartes, another is a weighty name in the world of paradoxes and non-classical logic, and my supervisor spends half his time consulting on public sector and professional ethics. They're busy and well respected people and they do well, but their salaries aren't what they should be. There is just no money in philosophy, period.

In contrast, the law school has dozens of professors and associate professors. But I doubt it's reasonable to expect professorship as a legal academic if I did a PhD in law or something cross-discipline either. It's probably just less wildly unlikely.

I'm not totally hung up on being an academic, though. I'm in love with my work, not the idea of lecturing, supervising, and constantly publishing. There's a lot of petty bullshit and politics in academia. It could be a good career, but it's not as if I have my heart set on it or anything.

Ani posted:

I didn't even catch where you went to school in your initial post, and it wouldn't have meant anything to me anyway. Apologies for suggesting that you went to a crappy school, and I realize that Australia doesn't really have tiers anyway - I was just using TTT as shorthand for "crappy law school" since most of the thread is American. I don't know where the guy I talked to went to law school (I can still barely understand Australian accents), but he said it was lovely.
No problem. I kind of accidentally implied that UQ wasn't all that crash hot when it's really pretty top-notch. And if your guy didn't go to a University of [State/State Capital], ANU, Monash, Macquarie, Bond, or maybe QUT, then yeah he went to a shitpit.

quote:

I think this was supposed to me some thoughts on the Australian legal market, which I will share now: Like the legal market in the US, I think the Australian market is becoming increasingly lovely if you aren't at the top end of the profession. Therefore, I think it makes sense to evaluate the job prospects of an LLB from UQ pretty carefully before pulling the trigger on this. PhDs in philosophy aren't generally known for their great job prospects, but if you're going to be managing a Starbucks either way, you might as well have spent your school years studying something you like instead of the law.

If you were in the US, and in the same position, I'd probably tell you not to do it and stick with your PhD. You're in the enviable position of having found something that you like doing and that you're good at; meanwhile, lawyers, in addition to being chronically underemployed, are generally miserable depressed alcoholics. Unless you have some burning passion for the law (which wanting to be a barrister when you were a kid, or liking to argue, isn't), I don't think it makes any sense to take the LLB.
You're kind of assuming I won't like the law, aren't you? And since I have no student debt as it is and won't incur any from doing law, all that's going to be wasted if I do end up hating it or can't get a job is time. I can always do a PhD afterwards if I want. I'll be in essentially the same position I am now, which is a pretty loving privileged one where I get paid to think and write about fiscally worthless moral philosophy, just with a law degree.

I don't want to sound like I'm ignoring warnings and talking myself into something I shouldn't be doing. I think you're right in that I should have a clearer picture than I currently have of what I want out of a law degree before I commit to one, but I'm not seeing the bleak picture you seem to be painting here.

As far as job prospects go, UQ's graduate employment rate is about as good as it gets. Slightly fewer in Big Six firms than the Universities of Sydney and Melbourne but still way ahead of most everywhere else. Slightly more in public service, but behind ANU in that regard. Overall employment rates are the same as any of those three, though. Unlike in America, an LLB is a basic undergraduate degree in Australia, and a large proportion of legal graduates have one and nothing else. It's a lot less common to do law as a graduate than as an undergraduate, and it's considered to be quite a general qualification. Many never actually practice law and just go straight into middle-management, maybe coming back to uni to do an MBA in their late 20s or 30s.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

Cwapface posted:

You're kind of assuming I won't like the law, aren't you?
Yeah, I suppose I am. Some large % of lawyers, most of whom are people who deliberately sought out the practice of law, rather than falling rear end-backwards into it, don't like the law. You may love it, but you should be aware that it's not a well-loved profession, and that there's a good chance you won't like it.

quote:

And since I have no student debt as it is and won't incur any from doing law, all that's going to be wasted if I do end up hating it or can't get a job is time. I can always do a PhD afterwards if I want. I'll be in essentially the same position I am now, which is a pretty loving privileged one where I get paid to think and write about fiscally worthless moral philosophy, just with a law degree.

I don't want to sound like I'm ignoring warnings and talking myself into something I shouldn't be doing. I think you're right in that I should have a clearer picture than I currently have of what I want out of a law degree before I commit to one, but I'm not seeing the bleak picture you seem to be painting here.

As far as job prospects go, UQ's graduate employment rate is about as good as it gets. Slightly fewer in Big Six firms than the Universities of Sydney and Melbourne but still way ahead of most everywhere else. Slightly more in public service, but behind ANU in that regard. Overall employment rates are the same as any of those three, though. Unlike in America, an LLB is a basic undergraduate degree in Australia, and a large proportion of legal graduates have one and nothing else. It's a lot less common to do law as a graduate than as an undergraduate, and it's considered to be quite a general qualification. Many never actually practice law and just go straight into middle-management, maybe coming back to uni to do an MBA in their late 20s or 30s.
Yeah, I think given that it's free, it's not a really horrible decision to take it. I think that there's a pretty good chance you'll do the LLB and decide it was a waste of time, which is bad but not really a big deal since you'll have only wasted your time (and being a student is really fun). I think there is also a pretty good chance that you'll get your LLB, get a legal job, end up taking it (because even at the end of your degree you won't really know what it's like to practice law for real, no matter how many internships you got), and then realize that you'd have preferred staying in academia. In the US, it is very hard to get back into academia once you leave; I don't know how it is in Australia.

edit: I'm pushing this more because everyone else is telling you it's a good idea; you seem like you're in a pretty enviable position and I'm sure that regardless of what decision you make you'll end up in a pretty good position.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Let me tell you the story of my friend Nathan.

Nathan was in undergrad when I was in law school. We were both at UT. He used to laugh and tell me I was stupid when I moaned and griped about how awful con law was. Nathan wanted to study con law. He took every constitutional and criminal law class UT had to offer, including some taught by law professors. He also wanted to go to law school, despite my best warnings.

Now Nathan's at law school. Guess what message I got two weeks into his first semester?

"Con law is so loving boring I want to gouge out both of my eyes."

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
Con law is kind of interesting but the first half of 1L con law is so loving boring, holy poo poo I want the entire week we spent on Marbury back

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

HolySwissCheese posted:

Con law is kind of interesting but the first half of 1L con law is so loving boring, holy poo poo I want the entire week we spent on Marbury back

Con law is always the worst 1L fall class because it inevitably becomes a policy debate class where the Constitution just happens to mandate people's policy preferences and proscribe what they don't like.

Nero
Oct 15, 2003

The Warszawa posted:

Con law is always the worst 1L fall class because it inevitably becomes a policy debate class where the Constitution just happens to mandate people's policy preferences and proscribe what they don't like.

My con law class was indistinguishable from a critical race studies class. It did make it easier in that i didnt have to learn anything about the constitution at any point.

Our teacher even told the one conservative in the class who cared enough to talk to stop raising his hand.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Nero posted:

My con law class was indistinguishable from a critical race studies class. It did make it easier in that i didnt have to learn anything about the constitution at any point.

Our teacher even told the one conservative in the class who cared enough to talk to stop raising his hand.

See that just sounds awesome. Con law really should be broken up into a bunch of more focused classes though.

Stop
Nov 27, 2005

I like every pitch, no matter where it is.

Stop fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 14, 2013

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
I love Con Law. It's fascinating. Sounds like some people have had really bad Con Law professors. Condolences. Were your Con Law classes only about the 14th Amendment or something? I find it hard to believe that a 1L has a strong policy commitment to the Dormant Commerce Clause, or the Tax and Spending Clause, or something similar.

Administrative Law has been my favorite class this semester. Due Process is chill. Criminal Procedure was my favorite class last semester. 4th & 5th Amendments are awesome. I'm looking forward to Fed Courts next Spring. I've heard it's like Con Law + Civ Pro, which sounds baller.

I haven't taken a First Amendment class, but that's because it's one of the least exciting parts of the Constitution. :dealwithit:

Also, don't poo poo on Marbury. Whenever some academic is like "hurf durf I don't need to cite this statement" I can generally find something from the Marbury era and stick in as an addcite. Did it twice re: Marbury in particular my last citecheck. loving governments, how do they work?

:smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nero
Oct 15, 2003

Stop posted:

I wish I went to UCLA

Last I heard the teacher went to Stanford or Boalt.

Highlight of the class was super sheltered A+ overachiever girl not understanding what "fisting" or something was during discussion re gay sex and googling it from front row of class. Guess somebody didnt keep safe search on.

Nero fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 21, 2012