Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
Ahhh, tis the season for spring cleaning. Selling off gear, reducing what I have, but also picking up a few things. My first custom shop is inbound. Should be a blast to play. Not many people are fans of reliced gear, but ever since I played a Nash P a few years ago, I've always wanted something in that realm.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

7.62WorldOrder posted:

Finally scored my dream rig, a Mesa Mark V with a Recto 2x12 cabinet. This thing sounds monsterous. I'm slowly going through the manual for best results but I still can get a lot of very good tones with minimal tweaking.

I hate you.

you will be mine one day, you magnificent beauty.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Now that I live in an apartment and i'm missing out on playing my drums a lot, I decided to get an electric kit.

I'm digging the tuneable snare, the double bass, and the 3 sensor areas on the drums and cymbals. I got a Behringer keyboard amp for daytime jams.

It's no Roland V-Drums, but still pretty decent.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.
This is why you don't drunk eBay: I bought a Squier Mustang bass the other day, just to lay down some cheap-rear end bass tracks in my house.

That's not the bad part, though. When I logged on last night, eBay suggested some auctions to me, including a set-neck SG with a Bigsby for a Buy It Now of $125. I jumped on it, even though the pictures looked like this.

Then I looked at the third picture.

RAS, apparently, is Reid And Son guitar kits. They don't even have a website, just a Facebook page and a Blogspot blog. So it all depends on whoever finished this kit whether I got a useless pile of junk or something I can work with. I certainly don't need another guitar in either case, but if nothing else I can use the "bigsby" on my project guitar I'm building.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Oooh, bummer. But do tell us how it comes out. I've been interested in building a through neck, and I don't mind cheating the first time or so.

Edit: Oh. Set neck is not through neck. Ah well, still, lots of luck.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 20, 2012

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Got my Martin 12 string in the mail today. So loving nice. I know what I'm doing all weekend.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Brettbot posted:

This is why you don't drunk eBay...

Oh boy. Drunken eBay purchases are bad. Mine wasn't as bad as yours, but it hit the pocket book a bit more than yours. Bought this while drinking too heavily at an Oscar party.

I'm not a 7 string player at all, but always wanted to try it out. This is a lot of fun to play. Always been lusting after an RG540PII, but they are hard to come by and usually expensive. The guy who sold this was also selling off two RG540PII's but they went for quite a bit more than this one. He built/had this built for him some time ago. Indonisian RG550 neck mated to a custom one-off body modeled after the RG540PII.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Schatten posted:

Oh boy. Drunken eBay purchases are bad. Mine wasn't as bad as yours, but it hit the pocket book a bit more than yours. Bought this while drinking too heavily at an Oscar party.

I'm not a 7 string player at all, but always wanted to try it out. This is a lot of fun to play. Always been lusting after an RG540PII, but they are hard to come by and usually expensive. The guy who sold this was also selling off two RG540PII's but they went for quite a bit more than this one. He built/had this built for him some time ago. Indonisian RG550 neck mated to a custom one-off body modeled after the RG540PII.

Woah that body looks like a luthier had been drinking too! It's interesting to say the least. Reversed horns?

dead cowboy
Jan 31, 2006

I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE
I DRINK IT UP

ChocNitty posted:

Now that I live in an apartment and i'm missing out on playing my drums a lot, I decided to get an electric kit.

I'm digging the tuneable snare, the double bass, and the 3 sensor areas on the drums and cymbals. I got a Behringer keyboard amp for daytime jams.

It's no Roland V-Drums, but still pretty decent.

Cool, so thats a DTXpress correct? I am thinking about getting something in the 500k series for the exact same reasons. Is it really that okay in an apartment though? The only thing I use at my house is a practice pad and sometimes my neighbors bang on the wall because of that. I'm still getting one regardless though because I'm planning on moving soon anyway.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

dead cowboy posted:

Cool, so thats a DTXpress correct? I am thinking about getting something in the 500k series for the exact same reasons. Is it really that okay in an apartment though? The only thing I use at my house is a practice pad and sometimes my neighbors bang on the wall because of that. I'm still getting one regardless though because I'm planning on moving soon anyway.

Yes it's a DTXpress IV Special. The DTXpress and DTXplorer series are the best mid range electric kits. Definitely stay away from the cheap junky Simmons and Alesis kits.

As far as playing in your apartment, it depends on how tolerant your neighbors are, how hard you play, what time you play, if you have neighbors below, and the construction of your building.

I read a drum forum where people built their own drum risers made out of two sheets of plywood with tennis balls sandwiched between them. This absorbed vibration from the kit, and the impact from their bass drum pedal, and it made it quiet for the neighbors living below them.

I just have extra carpet underneath my kit, and have cushioning around my bass drum pedal beater. I havent got any complaints...yet.

MeatRocket8 fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Apr 21, 2012

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
Just sold one of my DL4's and purchased something pretty fun...Should be here in a little under a month.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Brick Card posted:

I joined the esteemed Roland TR-505 club today. We three are the greatest*!

*but not greater than people who have the 606, 707, 808 or 909 :_(
I also just joined the Roland TR-505 club. Found it for $5.00 at a garage sale today. I have no idea how to use it, what I've actually got, or really anything other than I knew it was too good to pass up. It seems to be cleaning up just fine too.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
It can be very difficult (and expensive) to be a left-handed guitar player. I've been looking around for an acoustic guitar for quite a while now. Ovations have always caught my eye because of the mid-depth rounded bowl and I really like the hot-swappable electronics unit for changing your amplified sound.

Finally found a beautiful Celebrity on eBay:

It doesn't look like the Celebrity can be configured with this cherry burst color so I'm kind of wondering what model year the guitar is. I guess I'll find out when I pick it up Monday!

RoofieMyselfForFun
Apr 5, 2010
Got this bad boy today on a great price at GC. $169

It's nothing special but we needed to be mic'd up at practice so we can actually hear what we're playing to.

4 channels and 60 watts

communistdew
Sep 11, 2005
Where do we light our cigars with dollah bills?
Got this yesterday off of CL for less than half the going price on ebay. Pretty excited. Boss RV-3. It's even the "pink label" version which apparently is better?? Who knows. Time to learn some Radiohead songs.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
My amazing Oakland Axe Factory BFR Singlecut is done! It'll be a few weeks before it shows up, so until then I'll just drool over the pictures of it.

boobstastegreat
Aug 9, 2004
yum

The Gasmask posted:

My amazing Oakland Axe Factory BFR Singlecut is done! It'll be a few weeks before it shows up, so until then I'll just drool over the pictures of it.

This thing is truly beautiful -- I want one

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*
I want a new 49 key to replace my Keystation 49e, and am having trouble deciding.

I like

Knobs, sliders, etc. Less basic than a Keystation.

But I would prefer

To have the pads as well as semi-weighted keys (better than weightless I guess) and the other more basic Oxygen features

But I would REALLY prefer

Having all that and hypercontrol, but I'm not sure if it's really worth it or just cool.

The Mystery Date
Aug 2, 2005
STRAGHT FOOL IN A GAY POOL (MUPPETS ROCK)
I have the axiom pro 49 and, while it is pretty drat awesome, I'm not sure that hypercontrol is worth an extra $200 and not having to set up your controller. One nice thing about it over the regular axiom is the numeric keypad, which you can assign to qwerty keystrokes to set up easy access hotkeys right on the controller. It's really convenient right after recording a midi part to be able to just hit (1) to save and then move on (also, copy/past undo/redo etc). However, again I'm not sure if that is worth $200 to avoid the computer keyboard.

The thing that made me get out my wallet was the keybed. I'm not sure if it's technically different than the original axiom, but the one I played in the store (and the one I have) felt SOOOOO much better. It's really like a dream. You might also want to look at the Novation impulse. It has a different feel than the Axiom pro (much lighter if I remember), but I almost bought it, and it's pretty cheap.

Bottom line: Go play the keyboards and choose based on feel, not features.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

With these in hand (GFS Mean 90's and related parts) and the help of a lot of swearing, I intend to turn my semi-hollow into a guitar that works again.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

Left home and came back with a tower of Peavey, yay 15s! The VB-2 (225w tube head) is mine, but I hadn't been using it since selling my old Hartke 410 and moving to a mediocre guitar cab in the meantime. Nice to be able to use it again!
So far I'm digging the Bass 400 series, although the built-in distortion sounds pretty bad.

I have another empty 215 and I've been meaning to throw some Black Widows (like this cab has) in it, but then this appeared on Craigslist, so...

slapsack
Mar 3, 2006
Why are people so skeptical of things that are out of the ordinary? Instead of being open to POSSIBILITIES, most people just jump straight to the circle jerk so they can comfortably fit in. It's completely fair and understandable to say that there is
Finally got my hands on one of these sucka's:

It's a Chapman Stick. Here's what it sounds like if anyone gives a rip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM-3phddDWw

Be nice, it's my first song :)

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Achtane posted:

Left home and came back with a tower of Peavey, yay 15s! The VB-2 (225w tube head) is mine, but I hadn't been using it since selling my old Hartke 410 and moving to a mediocre guitar cab in the meantime. Nice to be able to use it again!
So far I'm digging the Bass 400 series, although the built-in distortion sounds pretty bad.

I have another empty 215 and I've been meaning to throw some Black Widows (like this cab has) in it, but then this appeared on Craigslist, so...

What bass is that? It's pretty (as is the rest of the picture!)

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

slapsack posted:

That is the bees knees, good work my friend!

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

Manky posted:

What bass is that? It's pretty (as is the rest of the picture!)

Thanks, it's a Yamaha SBV-500. The SBV series is a reissue of guitars that Yamaha made in the 60s-early 70s. Starting in 2001 (I think), they were made for 7 or 8 years in Japan, but were only in the US and UK for about 8 months; they didn't sell very well. But they're my absolute favorite guitars and I was super lucky to find this one. I've never been a big fan of J bass bridge pickups, but the neck one on this is amazing and really strong. I'd also like to get an SBV-550, the version with P and J pickups...but in a few years of searching the Internet I've only ever seen three of these for sale.

I also have one of the guitars, the SGV-300. There's also an -800 with two humbuckers as well as a couple of special versions. The bridge pickup on this 300 is actually two single coils. They're connected to a detented pot that lets you select either the bridge-most, middle or blend both to form a humbucker. The middle pickup alone sounds kinda like a Strat.

Sarah Cenia fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Apr 24, 2012

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
My parents recently sold my grandmother's house, and my mom is up there today cleaning out the attic. She just texted me a picture of this, and claimed it for me:

Apparently it was my grandfather's, who passed away when I was about 4. Asked her to snap a few more pictures for me, but her camera phone sucks. I'm hoping it's in decent shape and doesn't have any cracks. I'd love to get it restored, or at least in playable condition.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Apr 24, 2012

Lriagan
Sep 13, 2011

Thorpe posted:

Just sold one of my DL4's and purchased something pretty fun...Should be here in a little under a month.

Mine took 3 weeks to get to me, which was very surprising at that! It was my Christmas present to myself, and oh boy was it worth it! I love tape delay to all hell, but I have to say (in my opinion) the Empress SDVM did better in tape delay. HOWEVER, the analog sound it produces is amazing. Not to mention EVERYTHING else it does is mind blowing.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
Got this beauty. Electro-acoustic resonator with a tele pickup.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Got this beauty. Electro-acoustic resonator with a tele pickup.

Never played the electric version, but I bought an FR-50 when they came out back in the early 2000s. Loved it ever since. Enjoy!

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Achtane posted:

The SBV guitar's have a very distinct sound that I love. Put it through a Deluxe or Vibrolux and it sounds amazing.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Achtane posted:

Thanks, it's a Yamaha SBV-500. The SBV series is a reissue of guitars that Yamaha made in the 60s-early 70s. Starting in 2001 (I think), they were made for 7 or 8 years in Japan, but were only in the US and UK for about 8 months; they didn't sell very well. But they're my absolute favorite guitars and I was super lucky to find this one. I've never been a big fan of J bass bridge pickups, but the neck one on this is amazing and really strong. I'd also like to get an SBV-550, the version with P and J pickups...but in a few years of searching the Internet I've only ever seen three of these for sale.

I also have one of the guitars, the SGV-300. There's also an -800 with two humbuckers as well as a couple of special versions. The bridge pickup on this 300 is actually two single coils. They're connected to a detented pot that lets you select either the bridge-most, middle or blend both to form a humbucker. The middle pickup alone sounds kinda like a Strat.

Oh wow, thanks for this post. I haven't felt this envious in a long time, haha. I know what I'm keeping my eyes peeled for from now on.

I haven't contributed anything in a while, but here's a pretty bad picture of the last thing I got: Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster. I gotta say, if you've heard good things about the VM series - well, let's just say I'm now firmly in the I Can't Believe It's A Squier!™ camp. Insanely playable, the neck is comfy and fast, it actually has decent hardware on it and the pickups are totally adequate. Unbelievable guitar for the price, I'm excited to see if Squier can keep this up.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Wait, you go to ilovefuzz? I post there a lot.
Yeah, the Squiers they've been turning out lately seem really nice...the unusual models from Squier are more exciting than "real" Fenders to me. That looks like a cool one!

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

fappenmeister posted:

Woah that body looks like a luthier had been drinking too! It's interesting to say the least. Reversed horns?

This was the style of the RG540PII.
You can see a few of them here in google image searches: https://www.google.com/search?q=iba...AD4fi2QXpypndDQ

Thorpe posted:

Insanely awesome!

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Achtane posted:

Yeah, the Squiers they've been turning out lately seem really nice...the unusual models from Squier are more exciting than "real" Fenders to me. That looks like a cool one!

I was looking for a Japanese Jaguar for quite a while, but now I've stopped and will probably be buying on of those new Squier Jags here in a couple months. Don't have AVRI money and the Squier line is just so much more exciting than any of the Fender offsets.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Achtane posted:

No kiddin'? I don't believe I've ever actually posted there, but after finding Fuzzhugger a few years back I read the forums occasionally. I'll have to revisit them for sure. I got one of those BYOC snowflake kits, but embarrassingly I still haven't put it together. Got the stickers with that and a sweeeet pipe amp.

I like the Coastal Gold color of the thinline more than I was expecting to. Depending on the light it can look almsot like a burnished aluminum or light bronze, but in that shot it comes through pretty accurately (on my monitor, of course ymmv).

Manky fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 24, 2012

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.
Six pack of the "studio" additions from the last few months.

Marshall Class 5 in British Racing Green It's the new version with the "Low Power Mode" added and annoying cabinet rattle removed. It definitely can give some nice Marshall-y tones and it has enough clean headroom for it to be a daily (practice) player. Between this, the Orange AD-5 and Vox AC4, I'm still turning to the Vox whenever I plug in. I still need to get a Fender, but I think I might be super gay for Vox. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Boss DS-1 Distortion I've played guitar off and on--way more off than on--since the 80s. And I've never owned a DS-1. Seriously. This one is "Tone Factor Blacklight" modded which is apparently some cap and diode swaps that make it better. I don't have a normal DS-1 to compare with, but when I stomp this pedal, I become the Megadeth.

Vox V847 Wah It does wah-wah-wah and chic-a-chic. The envelope range isn't as wide as I'd have hope. It's a bit tame.

tc electronic Vortex Flanger What the gently caress is a flanger for? I'm sure I'll figure it out one day. This is likely to end up with my Subdecay Noisebox or Caitlinbread Heliotrope in the box of misfit pedals that might inspire me one day.

Blackout Effectors Mantra Overdrive I really like the look of this pedal even though the enclosure is a hosed up size (125B for those in the know). Milder than expected, really adds nice character to my otherwise sterile Epiphone Dot. It's board worthy regardless of what genre I feel like playing.

Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb Spring reverb is pretty much the coolest thing on earth. Making sounds reverberate with like a floppy spring in a box. It's pretty crazy. The FRV-1 does a pretty good job of sounding like a classic Fender spring reverb tank; crank the dwell full on and surf like you stole it. This is pretty much my favorite pedal.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

Dunno if this is the right thread exactly but are Boss OD-3s seriously worth 70-100 dollars? I bought a used one a few years back for 25-30 bucks, and I do love it and it provides a nice range of sound, but I always conceived of it as kind of a toss-off and not the best because of how little I paid for it. Sounds like it has appreciated? The guitar shop near me has OD-1s for 150-200 dollars, so maybe.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

My new friend I recently purchased with some Amazon credit - Zoom's H2 stereo field recorder:

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal

slapsack posted:

Awesome playing and super nostalgia. Thank you! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

slardel posted:

My new friend I recently purchased with some Amazon credit - Zoom's H2 stereo field recorder:

If you're gonna be doing ANY recording outside at all you owe it to yourself to get a really nice windscreen. https://www.redheadwindscreens.com