Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Rirse posted:

Starting up Persona 3: The Answer after picking up the PSN version, but wondering if anyone got some tips for it. Already beat Persona 3 FES and Persona 4, so I got a general idea on how to go about it. Enjoying it so far (even if I miss the direct control like the PSP version of PS3 and Persona 4), but wonder whom I should use. Right now I don't have a lot of options, but really liking Metris. Shame she is a Garu user like Yukari, which means I might have to ditch one later. Did any of the other characters (like the ones not avaable yet), get a heal spell later?

Metis is pretty much the best character and you should probably use her as often as possible.

As for healing, Yukari and Ken learn multi-target heal skills, and Akihiko and Mitsuru learn single-target heal skills, same as The Journey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
I found that one of the flaws of the game was how little I actively wanted to switch everyone around. There was literally no fight I couldn't overcome with that team once it was available, and I ended up with this same problem in P4 as well (Yukiko, Yosuke, Chie [yes I know about Teddie, meanwhile Galactic Punt :colbert:]). I tend to be pretty inflexible once I find something that works, though, so it's my own drat fault in the long run.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

vanov posted:

I found that one of the flaws of the game was how little I actively wanted to switch everyone around. There was literally no fight I couldn't overcome with that team once it was available, and I ended up with this same problem in P4 as well (Yukiko, Yosuke, Chie [yes I know about Teddie, meanwhile Galactic Punt :colbert:]). I tend to be pretty inflexible once I find something that works, though, so it's my own drat fault in the long run.

Yeah, I had that problem too, with my party in both Persona 3 and 4 being mostly the same, but with Junpei and Chie replaced by Akihiko and Teddy and the party pretty much being static from that point on.

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
My party was pretty much Yukari, Aigis, and Akihiko after Aigis became available, because I'm a dumbass. The electric nightclub shadow fight was made a little more interesting.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I like being able to use whoever I like in games, and I don't see not being forced to use Ken as much of a fault. I used Aigis, Yukari, and Mitsuru for pretty much all of The Journey. When I eventually get around to P3P I'm definitely swapping Akihiko in there somewhere though - I wanted to use him but didn't really want to constantly swap him and Mitsuru, so he got left behind.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
So I bought Persona 4 a couple months ago, asked in here about how easy it would be and such, played up to halfway through Yukikos castle and got distracted by some other game. Sat down and carried on the other day cause I was really enjoying it once it let me out of the very constrained opening (that lasts like 4 hours).

Beat Yukiko's shadow pretty easily at level 14ish I think on the 28th and when she joined my party the others said we should go into the castle again to get her up to speed, Teddie mentioned the shadow that was where she was and I thought "why not". Is he (Contrarian King was his name) supposed to be such a motherfucker or was I just going for him too early? I managed to get him after 4 goes using the lower enemy attack and defense debuffs and putting evade on my characters but one of the attempts he just busted rampage out on the first turn and took the MC and 2 others out in one shot. For future reference when stuff like that happens is that a clue I should level for a bit, fuse something to counter it or just rethink my strategy a little?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Contrarian King is odd in that it's way too powerful for where you are. All the other optional bosses can be beaten pretty reliably when they unlock, but this one is just a giant dick move.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

thebardyspoon posted:

So I bought Persona 4 a couple months ago, asked in here about how easy it would be and such, played up to halfway through Yukikos castle and got distracted by some other game. Sat down and carried on the other day cause I was really enjoying it once it let me out of the very constrained opening (that lasts like 4 hours).

Beat Yukiko's shadow pretty easily at level 14ish I think on the 28th and when she joined my party the others said we should go into the castle again to get her up to speed, Teddie mentioned the shadow that was where she was and I thought "why not". Is he (Contrarian King was his name) supposed to be such a motherfucker or was I just going for him too early? I managed to get him after 4 goes using the lower enemy attack and defense debuffs and putting evade on my characters but one of the attempts he just busted rampage out on the first turn and took the MC and 2 others out in one shot. For future reference when stuff like that happens is that a clue I should level for a bit, fuse something to counter it or just rethink my strategy a little?

Its best to wait to fight him, he's a real bastard to fight at that level. None of the other follow-up bosses are nearly as hard at their intended level.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Oldstench posted:

Yeah the glitches. I've got them in full force and they are seriously eye-molesting at times.

E: I see a shoddy port done by someone other than Atlus as a negative. If this is someone's first experience with an Atlus title and gets really bad graphics glitching and possibly even loses their save, they may not want to buy another game from them.

Is it really a port though? I thought these new PS2 Classics things were just emulated.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Yeah the same problems came up with backwards compatible PS3s playing it on a disc apparently.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Ok, see it's fine as long as I know that. The weapon I got for it seems pretty useful since SP is the main thing that makes you leave a dungeon early so it was probably worth it. I knew he was possible since first time I was so close to killing him until I missed a Bufu and he got a full power rampage out but part of me was thinking "nothing so far has been this hard, you may not be in the right place", they should have put some slightly tougher guards outside or something just to let you know.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

thebardyspoon posted:

Ok, see it's fine as long as I know that. The weapon I got for it seems pretty useful since SP is the main thing that makes you leave a dungeon early so it was probably worth it. I knew he was possible since first time I was so close to killing him until I missed a Bufu and he got a full power rampage out but part of me was thinking "nothing so far has been this hard, you may not be in the right place", they should have put some slightly tougher guards outside or something just to let you know.

Its more a matter of the fact multi-hit attacks like Rampage sometimes just ruin the poo poo of whatever they're used on than any other aspect of the fight. Anything that uses them is pretty dangerous, and when you use them they pretty much obliterate whole groups of enemies as long as nothing's physical resistant.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I have a non PS2-backwards compatible PS3. Does that mean I won't have any problems with the digital version of P3FES?

thebardyspoon posted:

Is he (Contrarian King was his name) supposed to be such a motherfucker or was I just going for him too early?

Yes, and yes, probably. :) In fact, I just posted a couple pages ago about how when I went back and played Persona 4 for the second time, I was able to beat him. My strategy is at this post: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3428684&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=105#post402755498

The easiest way is to wait until the next dungeon is unlocked and level up higher, though!

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Huh. I just realized that, in The Answer, Metis, Ken, and Koromaru can hit every single element without any help from Aigis.

And Ken even has healing!

What am I for in this team again? :v:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I had a few false starts with him, but I managed to get the Contrarian King down when I was only around level 17. It was pretty brutal, but I did manage to barely finish the fight with everyone on their feet.

Then again, I knew what I was getting into since I'd read through the Persona 4 LP in the Archive (it's what inspired me to pick the game up in the first place). So yeah, if you've never played and don't know about it beforehand, it's easily possible that he'll completely wreck your poo poo the first time you attempt to take him on.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

What am I for in this team again? :v:

You're there to do everything they can do, except better. :colbert:

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

On a first attempt you also have the fun of falling for his Red Wall bullshit and negating whatever damage you managed to do during the first three turns. I still remember how that made me yell at the screen. :allears:

AmadeusVonBlastoise
Jul 4, 2008

AMADEUS AMADEUS
~DO~DO~
~DO~DO~

Suaimhneas posted:

On a first attempt you also have the fun of falling for his Red Wall bullshit and negating whatever damage you managed to do during the first three turns. I still remember how that made me yell at the screen. :allears:

That's probably my favourite Atlus dick move. It's such a tease and you'll never fall for it twice.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I ended up playing Persona 4 on Super Ultra Maniac Hard Mode tonight; I was playing it in a room where someone was sleeping, and I had to make it through the camp events without laughing, for fear of waking said person up. It was impossible!

But, God, I had forgotten how much of a dick Yosuke is when he's at his worst, and how much horrible stuff happens to you because the game forces you into playing a silent protagonist through it all.

I wonder how many English-speaking players went through that event and at the end of it, came out thinking Yukiko was a horrible person, too, because she pushed Kanji into a river because he had a nosebleed. A nosebleed meaning perverted thoughts is a Japanese media thing, and it makes me giggle thinking about people who didn't know that and thought she pushed him in because she was grossed out by blood.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Man. I really wish this NG+ system from Devil Survivor 2 was in a better game, because after that ending I don't know if I can be arsed to play this again, even overpowered.

(Got Anguished One, was completely unsurprised when it turned out that "gently caress YOU KID YOUR FRIEND IS AN ANGEL" "Yeah I kind of watched Evangelion like the rest of the JRPG fans out there you think I didn't see Kaworu coming on day 3?" "gently caress YOU (leaps off to his death)")

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

Catalina posted:

I wonder how many English-speaking players went through that event and at the end of it, came out thinking Yukiko was a horrible person

I'm more weirded out about how people take things way too seriously and make out Yosuke to be the biggest homophobe on earth and Yukiko a psychopath that hits people and pushes them off cliffs onto rocks.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
JRPG players forgetting that teenagers are chronically stupid and often in need of hard life lessons, now I have seen everything.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Dastardly posted:

I'm more weirded out about how people take things way too seriously and make out Yosuke to be the biggest homophobe on earth and Yukiko a psychopath that hits people and pushes them off cliffs onto rocks.

I'll admit that the first time I played through that scene I thought the nosebleed was from Kanji starting to bleed again from the beatdown Chie gave him, and that Yukiko got the wrong idea. But yeah, not taking that scene as a comedic anime hijinks scene is silly.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Well, the event has a whole string of several events that are pretty uncomfortable, even if they're played for laughs Hanako is SO FAT! Yosuke is afraid Kanji will rape him because Kanji might be GAY! Yosuke sucessfully manipulates girls into wearing BIKINIS! I'd argue that even if it's done for laughs, it's done pretty clumsily.
BUT I do try to remember and understand that I'm juding from a Western perception, and Japan is a different culture with different values and different perceptions on the sensitive issues that come up, like gender roles, sexual harassment, obesity, homosexuality, etc. Plus, in it's own way, the game tries to administer humorous karma and be somewhat sensitive.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
In Japan incest and pedophilia are funny, but gay butt stuff is hella gross. :japan:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
All that matters is that Yousuke gets his by the end of all that.

So does Yu and Kanji but that's collateral.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Yeah I don't think Yosuke is supposed to be seen as right during the sequence. He acts like a dick the whole way through the school campout...

how could someone who steals someone else's penguin be seen as in the right :argh:

Catalina
May 20, 2008

True! The more I think about it, the more I realize that the game does administer karmic plot punishments. I guess the real problem was how jarring it was that Yosuke was such a dick so many times in a row, and the game just kind of forces your character to go along with it in order to move the scene along.

When The Ultimate in Mayonaka Arena comes out, I suspect there will be a lot of uploaded videos of Yosuke getting the poo poo beat out of him...

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
One of the first screenshots of Arena was Kanji ground n' pounding Yosuke's face in.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

So do they just get rid of those teleporter machines in Tartarus's 4th block? I'm having a tough time finding any of them.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

Detective No. 27 posted:

So do they just get rid of those teleporter machines in Tartarus's 4th block? I'm having a tough time finding any of them.

From my experience the incidence rate was really low in that block but went back up in the fifth and is like almost every floor in the last.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
The chattering in this thread urged me to re-play Persona 4, and sweet god that color palette is an unholy abomination. I'll take P3's bluish-black palette over this eye-devouring monstrosity any day.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

Heavy neutrino posted:

The chattering in this thread urged me to re-play Persona 4, and sweet god that color palette is an unholy abomination. I'll take P3's bluish-black palette over this eye-devouring monstrosity any day.

Give it a week. A real-life week.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
The interface of Persona 4 is one of my favorite parts. Of course, I do like bright colors... Still, it's mad stylish.

Whack
Feb 14, 2008
Could someone explain the significance of the Phase Indicator in Nocturne? It keeps going up and down and I don't know what the hell it means :(

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Demons will act strange if you talk to them during full Kagutsuchi. (This may allow you to recruit races you can't normally.)

It affects certain skills (it should be obvious which ones) and fusion results. Fiends can only be created during certain phases and sacrificial fusions are only possible when it's full.

And you'll always get the best treasure from fancy chests (not the normal ones; those always give one specific item) if you open them when it's full.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Whack posted:

Could someone explain the significance of the Phase Indicator in Nocturne? It keeps going up and down and I don't know what the hell it means :(

It shows the phases of Kagutsuchi, which has a bunch of various, subtle effects on gameplay.

Just to give some examples:

-Status effects like poison and items that raise/lower encounter rate will wear off by themselves when the phase moves from 1/8 to 0/8, and so popping them at 0/8 gives you the full 16 phases of activation.

-Certain special fusions require certain phases to happen. As well, you can only do sacrifice fusions at full phase; but doing any fusions at 8/8, full phase, have a greater risk of accidents.

-Demons are agitated and can't be recruited normally if you try talking to them at full phase. However, some races like fouls and wilders can actually be recruited randomly talking to them at full phase. Chances are still low, however.

-Gold chests have a chance of giving you a rare item and a chance of giving you just a crap consumable when opened. The chance of the good item is 0% at 0/8 and gets better and better up to 8/8, when the chance is 100%.

-Some skills are affected by moon phase: For example, Bright Might is a passive which gives demons a 100% crit rate on physical attacks during full phase.

That's all I can remember right now but there are tons and tons of these little things in the game. Phase can be important, but nothing critical or game breaking.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Meiteron posted:

That's all I can remember right now but there are tons and tons of these little things in the game. Phase can be important, but nothing critical or game breaking.

I'd consider some of the moon-phase skills pretty game-breaking, since stacking them on your team and waiting for the right phase trivializes a few of the story boss fights, no?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Meiteron posted:

-Demons are agitated and can't be recruited normally if you try talking to them at full phase. However, some races like fouls and wilders can actually be recruited randomly talking to them at full phase. Chances are still low, however.

I'm pretty sure ALL demons can be recruited randomly like that at FULL phase. There's also a higher chance of demons outright approaching you and asking a question which will cause them to join up. Demons are easier to negotiate with normally the lower the phase is though.

Enemies will also be slightly stronger as you get closer to FULL phase. This is very slight, but can be quite noticeable during some boss fights.

Enemy behavior in combat is also tied to the phase.

There are also various puzzles in the game that depend on the phase in some manner (ones in the Obelisk involve manipulating it, what parts of the Fourth Kapla you can access change depending on the phase, etc).

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Apr 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

RichterIX posted:

Is it really a port though? I thought these new PS2 Classics things were just emulated.
I had emailed Atlus support regarding the graphics/save glitches and Rob Stone (QA Lead) stated, "Atlus actually had minimal involvement in the porting of the game to PSN[...]". I just used the word they used. No idea if it is an actual port or using a software emulation layer.