Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Rhianasaurus posted:

Quantities :( I'm not very good at cooking

I think it was Kiteless that posted the classic recipe, though I don't remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
SubG that post was awesome thanks. I'll start there and adjust to taste for personal preference

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

We don't have crisco either. :( I swear I saw a recipe here once for decent no-lard carnitas but I can't find it.

In Australia we use Copha, a solidified coconut oil. Very similar to shortening. I live across the road from a korean groccer, i'm pretty sure i've seen hydrogenised soy bean and /or palm oil in the before.
Why not just buy some pork fat from the belly, or some skin with fat on and render the lard from there?

Tig Ol Bitties
Jan 22, 2010

pew pew pew

Tots posted:

A vegan cookbook on amazon.com isn't exactly what I was after

Sorry, you can preview it for free, so I thought it would give you at least a place to start.

I'm not quite sure if it's romantic, but we really enjoy a meal of the Indian style spinach, pickles, chickpea curry, and rice. .dino has tons of Indian recipes in the Help, I'm poor thread and the vegan thread. I'm sure you could add meat.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Rhianasaurus posted:

Quantities :( I'm not very good at cooking

Here's how I usually measure it, if you're interested.

4 cups chicken stock
2 cans coconut milk
5 chicken thighs (i.e. 1 package)
9 oz oyster mushrooms
1 cup chopped peppers of desired hotness
1 18" stalk of lemon grass
1 6" ginger root
1 6" galangal root
2 tbsp chili oil or butter (to cook the mushrooms in, depends on how hot you want them)
Thai basil
Cilantro
Salt to taste

I always serve mine over jasmine rice, but I know that's not particularly traditional.

Oh, and ginger and galangal are technically rhizomes, not roots, of course.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

CzarChasm posted:

You might be able to use another semi-solid fat (ie Crisco) but you will miss out on the flavor that lard will provide. I will also ad that I have never used Crisco (or lard) in a slow cooker the way that Gravity is describing, but I trust him.

So...I just read the section in Modernist Cuisine on confit, of which carnitas is a type. Contrary to my :colbert total-submersion-in-fat opinion (and I know a lot of people here hold that opinion), they found that they preferred sous vide with meat and just enough fat to coat liberally to traditional full submersion confit. Now crockpot isn't anaerobic like sous vide is, but I believe that this is decent justification for using water instead of lard. One thing is still true, however. You don't get maillards and caramelization in a crockpot, so you need to crisp up the meat after shredding and preferrably before also.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 21, 2012

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I was at a local market and after encountering a convincing salesman, I know have these:

So, uh, I guess stage one is trying to clean these guys? Anyone have any advice for prepping a whole fish, or a good way to cook one?

As of right now my plan:

1) Remove scales and guts (working on the 'how' for this)
2) Apply garlic/pepper/lime
3) Bake?

Obviously I will check some recipes and stuff, but if anyone has a sweet recipe for whole bass that would be nice!

Edit: I thought this was a good place for this, but if it would be better as its own thread I guess I can do that.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I usually use a curry comb to scale fish. If you don't have horses or live on a farm, you probably don't have one of those. You can try scraping from tail to head with a knife set perpendicular to the body. To gut, just make a shallow cut from behind the gill all the way back to the tail. Reach in and yank out. Rinse to get all the bits out of the cavity.

Edit: if you plan on eating a lot of whole fish, you can get a curry comb cheap at a farm store or amazon.

Edit2: Also that VVV

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 21, 2012

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Casu Marzu posted:

You can try scraping from tail to head with a knife set perpendicular to the body.

Use the spine of the knife in this fashion.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Thanks guys! The whole area around the kitchen is now covered in scales, and I think at least one hit me in the eye. But the fish are clean at this point.

I'm not sure if I am going to be cooking whole fish on a regular basis - it's pretty clear that the difference in price is because I'm not paying for someone to do all the real dirty work. We'll see how this goes and think about it, I guess. If I keep at it I'll buy some better tools.

I stuffed the fish with garlic, black pepper, basil, and lemon. Wish me luck (because it's in the oven and there's no going back now)

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Ashcans posted:

Thanks guys! The whole area around the kitchen is now covered in scales, and I think at least one hit me in the eye. But the fish are clean at this point.

oh..um...yeah, do it outside. Probably too late to say that. Sorry.

It's not so hard if you give no fucks about making a mess. Do it outside on a sheet pan and attract every cat in the neighborhood :3:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Ashcans posted:

Hahahaha oops.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5YcrE4EVyI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

If you skip to 6 minutes in you can see one of Alton Brown's ridiculous contraptions for scaling fish

Didion
Mar 16, 2009
Made some roasted bell peppers, any ideas as to what I can use them for? :) Thinking about pasta sauce, but would be nice to know more options

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Didion posted:

Made some roasted bell peppers, any ideas as to what I can use them for? :) Thinking about pasta sauce, but would be nice to know more options

You can make pasta with them, like in the dough itself.

Make a ketchup from it and put it on everything.

Cut into 2 inch strips, fill with a fresh ricotta and herbs, roll up, pin closed with a toothpick, freeze on waxed paper, batter, and fry.

Make a romesco sauce and dip grilled scallions in it and shove as many as you can down your gullet while drinking large quantities of wine.

Dache
Dec 26, 2003

this happy little fella is steve

Hey, I asked about doing really good ribs in an oven a few pages back, and said I'd try and post the results here if they looked any good. They're a bit huge and this isn't a picture thread, so I'll just link them...

A little bit of marinade overnight...
http://i.imgur.com/h96Sxh.jpg

And the nearly finished product about 4.5 hours or so later...
http://i.imgur.com/CAZurh.jpg

Slightly different angle to try and get the sauce. Oh well.
http://i.imgur.com/ABxBFh.jpg

They tasted absolutely fantastic, thanks for the advice dis astranagant and GrAviTy84!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5YcrE4EVyI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

If you skip to 6 minutes in you can see one of Alton Brown's ridiculous contraptions for scaling fish

That's the dumbest loving thing. NO MULTITASKERS, except for this giant bin that I cut two holes in.And then he rinses the fish to check it, and dumps the fish water in the bin. I guess if there are still scales, you just grab your backup fish cleaning bin.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

You don't really need to bother scaling if you're just baking it. I bought a whole fish a couple days ago and when I slit it open to take out the guts, there were no guts. At all. :psyduck:

Didion
Mar 16, 2009

GrAviTy84 posted:

You can make pasta with them, like in the dough itself.

Make a ketchup from it and put it on everything.

Cut into 2 inch strips, fill with a fresh ricotta and herbs, roll up, pin closed with a toothpick, freeze on waxed paper, batter, and fry.

Make a romesco sauce and dip grilled scallions in it and shove as many as you can down your gullet while drinking large quantities of wine.

Lovely suggestions, thank you :)

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
I have a freezer full of veal stock. I made it last week and it was all lovely, brown and firm jello jiggly in the fridge the day after I made it.

Now I know how to make a life altering pan sauce with it. All well and good. What I'd like to know is, where else would you use veal stock if you had it in abundance?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Bo-Pepper posted:

I have a freezer full of veal stock. I made it last week and it was all lovely, brown and firm jello jiggly in the fridge the day after I made it.

Now I know how to make a life altering pan sauce with it. All well and good. What I'd like to know is, where else would you use veal stock if you had it in abundance?

Demi glace. Add a bottle or two of wine (depending on initial volume) and a few tbsp of tomato paste should work. Reduce all of it until it coats the back of a spoon and does that thing where you can run your finger across the spoon and it holds its shape.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
It's very reduced as it is. That fridge jiggle was a hearty, no nonsense jiggle. I'd go all the way as you've described but it's all currently frozen. Wouldn't want to refreeze and I don't have an immediate wish to use the lot.

I have about 16 cups give or take.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Bo-Pepper posted:

It's very reduced as it is. That fridge jiggle was a hearty, no nonsense jiggle. I'd go all the way as you've described but it's all currently frozen. Wouldn't want to refreeze and I don't have an immediate wish to use the lot.

I have about 16 cups give or take.

Yeah, you'll still have to reduce it, probably to like, <= 4 cups.

It will take a bit of time.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
Well okay sure, but isn't it unacceptable to refreeze something that's already been frozen once? Or will the additional cooking time invalidate the idea?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So I made some mini crab cakes today and cooked 5 out of the 20, and they tasted great. I was going to make them all and bring them to a party but then my wife and I were talking and decided not to since it was a 45 minute drive and the crab cakes would be either soggy and cold when they got there.

Question is, I put Saran wrap on top and threw the rest in the fridge. The recipe I used has home made mayo and an egg as a binder in there. Will these be safe to cook and eat tomorrow?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Bo-Pepper posted:

Well okay sure, but isn't it unacceptable to refreeze something that's already been frozen once? Or will the additional cooking time invalidate the idea?

That's for stuff that has a texture that will be ruined by the formation of ice crystals, like meat and some veggies. If you continually freeze and thaw a steak it will eventually just be a mushy mess. Stock doesn't have that problem.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

nwin posted:

So I made some mini crab cakes today and cooked 5 out of the 20, and they tasted great. I was going to make them all and bring them to a party but then my wife and I were talking and decided not to since it was a 45 minute drive and the crab cakes would be either soggy and cold when they got there.

Question is, I put Saran wrap on top and threw the rest in the fridge. The recipe I used has home made mayo and an egg as a binder in there. Will these be safe to cook and eat tomorrow?

Yeah, they'll be totally fine: it's only one day.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Is there anything I can do to make a nacho cheese have more jalapeno flavor without adding the heat?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

SERPUS posted:

Is there anything I can do to make a nacho cheese have more jalapeno flavor without adding the heat?

Seed your jalepenos, that's where almost all the heat is.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
I wanted to make a recipe from How to Cook Everything today for veggie burgers, but I have heard that they come out a bit bland.

This recipe includes: Black beans, onion, cayenne pepper, egg (for binding) and a half-cup of chopped sweet potato (optional, I had it on hand). Grind all together, patty up, pan fry.

Will this be good, or boring? What could be added to make it more interesting?

Also, any suggestions on what to do with a bunch of gigantic radishes that showed up in my organic produce box? I don't really like salads.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
add salt and spices? I'd consider cumin, coriander and mustard seeds, toasted and ground and added your mix with fine chopped and sweated garlic before you patty it up.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 22, 2012

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Yeah, I figured as such, but I only know how to cook from recipes, and don't have a good grasp of complementary spices yet. :) I'll give that a go.

DaveP
Apr 25, 2011
Anyone got a particularly favourite method/video explaining method of how to julienne carrots successfully? My lengthways slicing skills leave much to be desired

EVG posted:

I wanted to make a recipe from How to Cook Everything today for veggie burgers, but I have heard that they come out a bit bland.

This recipe includes: Black beans, onion, cayenne pepper, egg (for binding) and a half-cup of chopped sweet potato (optional, I had it on hand). Grind all together, patty up, pan fry.

Will this be good, or boring? What could be added to make it more interesting?

Also, any suggestions on what to do with a bunch of gigantic radishes that showed up in my organic produce box? I don't really like salads.

At the risk of sounding silly, don't forget to add some salt -as much as we're told by the news that our hearts will explode if we so much as let our lips touch those white crystals of flavour explosion, food without salt will always taste bland

Also, vis a vis radishes: Make HorseradiMAYBE NOT

DaveP fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Apr 23, 2012

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

EVG posted:

Yeah, I figured as such, but I only know how to cook from recipes, and don't have a good grasp of complementary spices yet. :) I'll give that a go.

I hesitate to post this because I am sure five people are about to post counterexamples and reasons why this is wrong thinking, but it helps me to think about other dishes when combining flavors. Grabbing a couple of any spices that all work in a curry blend will probably work in X other dish, and stuff like potatoes can take up pretty much any spice/flavor you want. Cribbing a seasoning blend from another dish is an easy way to find something that will "probably" work. In addition, the things you associate as being specific tto a certain cuisine will often work together in other dishes/cuisines as well. Ginger garlic and sesame and great in asian food, but they would also probably be great in your sweet potato patty as well.

additionally, don't forget to use your nose when cooking. Sniff your jars of spices and see which ones seem like they might go together. Your nose will be right more than it's wrong.

horseradish =/= radish, horseradish is a different root and as far as I know there are no radishes involved in horseradish sauce.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 22, 2012

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

DaveP posted:

Anyone got a particularly favourite method/video explaining method of how to julienne carrots successfully? My lengthways slicing skills leave much to be desired

I do it a bit differently from most folks, but it's faster. Take a carrot, cut it across at a long bias so that you now have an elliptical surface. Then cut quickly from there and you'll end up with a bunch of ellipse-shaped carrot slices. Stack the slices and cut em.

The sticks might be shorter than what you're used to, but the ends will all have pretty little points and have a nice gradient of orange color. Each piece contains a cross-section of the carrot, so each piece will taste the same.

If you were to use a lengthwise julienne method, you'd have different-colored pieces consisting of, say, only the carrot's core or only the skin.

Edit: I found a video that shows this method:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C79WRZrZ-ys

Noni fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 22, 2012

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Quick questions about sausages/bratwurst!

Normally I like the taste of sausages, but I can't stand how super greasy some of them are. As delicious as it may be, it also grosses me out how they can sometimes gush with grease when you bite down or pick them with a fork. Some people may be fine with that, but I'm not.

Not long ago, I tried a different kind of sausage that was not only delicious, but fairly 'dry', with just enough moisture to still make it fine to eat.

Is there a name for this kind of sausage, or is it all a preparation kind of thing?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Grandma gave me a coffee can of mystery dry beans (pretty sure there's some pintos in there, but there's also some much darker and and some kinda reddish ones). Just looking for something simple to do with them so they'll quit taking up counter space. I don't know the first thing about fixin dry beans, usually just used canned ones.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Bo-Pepper posted:

Eh. I wouldn't sweat it. Pressure can it afterward if you're worried about germs or whatever.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I'd like a suggestion for a good vegetarian (possibly vegan) Italian or Italian-ish dish that would go well with tomato pie and won't take me more than half an hour to make.

Edit: Nevermind, making this

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
Any advice on making yogurt at home? Ive tried it twice now and quite get what I like out of it.

I like it to be a bit tangy, rather than sweet, used pasteurized milk (once whole, once with 2%), and I strained it most recently. I like it better strained and tangy, similar to Fage.

I used a crockpot for this most recent attempt. It worked fairly well, but I still would like a less sweet, milky flavor. Will it improve while sitting the refrigerator at all - kind of how store bought stuff sits for a while ?