Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Das Butterbrot posted:

Propellerhead Figure has finally been released!

I'm very excited about this, won't have much time to play with it this weekend because of PAX. For people on the edge (why? it's a dollar.), it reminds me a bit of Opcode M. I would really like if they added pattern chaining and a couple more channels, but would be satisfied with MIDI out. At the moment it's just a toy, a good one though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Startyde posted:

I'm very excited about this, won't have much time to play with it this weekend because of PAX. For people on the edge (why? it's a dollar.), it reminds me a bit of Opcode M. I would really like if they added pattern chaining and a couple more channels, but would be satisfied with MIDI out. At the moment it's just a toy, a good one though!

Yeah, 10 minutes with it and I'm in love. The interface is significantly better than iKaossilator, I really dig the indicators for where your finger is.. iKaossilator always had problems picking specific notes and the little spinny dial on Figure fixes it nicely.

Being able to mod the stock sounds opens a lot of doors, and the drum system is night and day.

bearstare
Oct 24, 2005

Startyde posted:

I'm a funkbox fan. Classic sounds/patterns, variable randomness to the timing, cheap, stable.
thanks for this! I've been having fun with this and my state of the art Barbie Jam With Me keyboard. ding

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

bearstare posted:

thanks for this! I've been having fun with this and my state of the art Barbie Jam With Me keyboard. ding

Dude, please get a mic, a mixer and something to record this stuff with properly! I really like untitled.

I don't know if you're the type of guy for this, but maybe also check out Everyday Looper for iOS.

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 4, 2012

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I know Figure is kind of a "toy" but all it needs is a way to export so you can share your creations, and it would be perfecto!

Still, it's pretty boss!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Inelegant though it may be... Is there a way I could (simply) record these awesome Figure beats? I'm making some dandy stuff here and I don't wanna lose it.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Get a cable that has the 3.5mm headphone jack on each end and plug it into the line in on your computer, then just use Audacity/Reaper/Garageband to capture the resulting track.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The total omission of saving or exporting is a pretty glaring flaw.. I'm going to assume it'll show up in an update in the future because it's kind of a basic assumption that all iOS music apps have export options.

Guess they intended it as nothing more than a jamming tool? Which it's really good at, I'll give them that.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

xzzy posted:

The total omission of saving or exporting is a pretty glaring flaw.. I'm going to assume it'll show up in an update in the future because it's kind of a basic assumption that all iOS music apps have export options.

Guess they intended it as nothing more than a jamming tool? Which it's really good at, I'll give them that.

Agreed. But as soon as you make something REALLY catchy, you stop dead in your tracks and don't want to touch the app again because you'll basically overwrite it.

:(

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
It'd be awesome if they could somehow interface Figure with the upcoming Reason Rack extensions.

bearstare
Oct 24, 2005

FLX posted:

Dude, please get a mic, a mixer and something to record this stuff with properly! I really like untitled.

I don't know if you're the type of guy for this, but maybe also check out Everyday Looper for iOS.
I have mic and a mixer and will do a proper recording. thanks for the nice words. I have loopy but I havent messed with it much.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

xzzy posted:

While looking for more info on the app yesterday I saw a mention on the Propellerheads forums that they plan to do saving in update, hopefully that wasn't some misinterpretation.

I think this is the first music app that doesn't make me feel completely inept cause my lack of musical talent :v:. I mean I've messed around with iElectribe and others but suck at normal sequencer recording things apparently. How's iKaossilator compare in terms of ease of putting something together?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd say iKaossilator is even easier, because there's fewer variables to fidget with.

It does some other cool stuff too, you can swap in tracks from other saves from the current session which makes performing a track pretty convenient. You can also tweak the length of a loop, meaning you could have a 2 measure drum loop and a 16 measure lead loop.

But I don't find it as fun as Figure.. the interface is inferior and the canned sounds aren't as varied.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

I don't know ... iKaossilator has lots of great features, but it's too random and unpredictable for my taste. Figure is obviously still very bare bones, but I don't really like the concept (yet). It's still just an X/Y Pad that you try to play melodies with. Even with the indicators it doesn't click with me. My go-to App, to play around with on the train, remains iMaschine. Great sounds and a super simple, but traditional and precise interface (pads and keys). If that one also had X/Y Pads for effects, it would be perfect.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
What is the best place to upload a short MP3 I made with Figure? Some place that can play it directly without forcing each person to download it? Kinda like an IMGUR but for sound?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

soundcloud seems to be the most popular with goons, but tindeck is another good one.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Messin' about with Figure:

http://soundcloud.com/feenix/figure-track-i

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Figure is great but holy poo poo what were they thinking not putting in a simple save or export ability.

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

keyframe posted:

Figure is great but holy poo poo what were they thinking not putting in a simple save or export ability.

Some kind of pattern bank thing would be nice too. I get what the app is supposed to be but I would totally use it to sketch out some stuff. Limiting it to 4 bars with no ability to save or transition between patterns limits it to the point of questionably useful. Here's hoping they add stuff like that in An update later on.

heap
Jan 27, 2004

granpa yum posted:

Some kind of pattern bank thing would be nice too. I get what the app is supposed to be but I would totally use it to sketch out some stuff. Limiting it to 4 bars with no ability to save or transition between patterns limits it to the point of questionably useful. Here's hoping they add stuff like that in An update later on.
Yea, I agree, but my main gripe is that Figure's not even four bars, it's two. I don't mind a loop-centric supersimplified music toy, but 2-bar phrases get irritating fast. I think 4-bar phrases would at least be able to cross the minimum threshold into musicality.

I don't use my iphone for any "serious" musicmaking so I don't have many demands for the app, I just think it's too neat/fun of a sound toy to be limited right at 2 bars.

Maybe it's just me but that's the main thing that makes this app less musical and more "meh, it was a dollar."

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
You can kinda make it 4 bars by playing double time. (Using 70 bpm instead of 140 for a dubstep kinda beat for example)

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I'm enjoying Figure. I agree with the complaints about its lack of real utility, but I see myself fooling around with it while I'm on the train quite a bit.

Recorded my own twiddling here: http://soundcloud.com/eotf-seork/figure-fiddling

The UI is quite nice, and with some additions it could become very useful. I was pretty skeptical, since Reason makes me want to cut my hands off.

edit: And just for the heck of it, here's another jam. This one's a bit more catchy. http://soundcloud.com/eotf-seork/fig-2

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 6, 2012

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

heap posted:

Yea, I agree, but my main gripe is that Figure's not even four bars, it's two. I don't mind a loop-centric supersimplified music toy, but 2-bar phrases get irritating fast. I think 4-bar phrases would at least be able to cross the minimum threshold into musicality.

I don't use my iphone for any "serious" musicmaking so I don't have many demands for the app, I just think it's too neat/fun of a sound toy to be limited right at 2 bars.

Maybe it's just me but that's the main thing that makes this app less musical and more "meh, it was a dollar."

Yea the two bar thing bugs the poo poo out of me too. They already have the blocks tech in reason, just let me record to different bars and put a button to switch between them. I get it the app is $1 and it is designed to make casual people think they are making good music thanks to a bunch of swing/groove presets that play when you hold your finger down but there is no reason it can't be more because the sounds are really good in it. I wouldnt mind paying more to it if it had a couple basic things in it.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Not sure if anyone cares, but Synth is free.

I picked it up because, hey, free synth app to dick around with.

http://appshopper.com/music/synth

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

President and Sole Member of the Andre Braugher Appreciation Society

LmaoTheKid posted:

Not sure if anyone cares, but Synth is free.

I picked it up because, hey, free synth app to dick around with.

http://appshopper.com/music/synth

drat you. Now i'm chasing my cats around trying to sample them. :catstare:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

That Guy From Pearldiver posted:

drat you. Now i'm chasing my cats around trying to sample them. :catstare:

Give them nippe and toys.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Figure is awesome. Cheap, easy to use. Lots of things to gently caress around with. 99 cents well spent.

Trashman
Sep 11, 2000

You trash eating stink bag!
Fun Shoe
Tabletop just went free today for anyone who has been waiting to get it. Haven't had a chance to play yet but there has been plenty of good reviews in this thread so why not go for it!

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011
Is there any way to record knob/fader changes to a pasted audio track in iOS GarageBand? like if I wanted to record vol/pan changes mid track..

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Well, Tabletop was updated. Retina graphics, auto-routing and swiping between devices when zoomed in. Definitely a good incremental update.

A new breakbeat glitching app is being released soon and looks pretty cool: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG8UhIGRgGI

Lately I've been using Grain Science to create spooky ambient drones out of samples I make from movies. I can spend hours just messing around with this synth.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I GOT CRABBY ABOUT PHONE GAMING
You guys weren't kidding about Figure being hot poo poo. My friends all loved dicking around with it. The interface isn't perfect, but it does a good job of providing you lots of configurations without being daunting. It looks slick and sounds impressive when you combine effects and shapes and swing around from one sound and instrument to another, especially after you start laying and recording.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

hypersleep posted:

A new breakbeat glitching app is being released soon and looks pretty cool: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG8UhIGRgGI

OH MY! Whennnnn?

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
I'm looking at TouchAble, and it looks really nice, but the price is kinda steep. According to Appshopper, it never goes on sale. I'd feel a lot better about it if I could get some opinions. How is the latency? The integration? Is the UI as good as it looks?

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Whats the best multitrack studio program? I'm looking for something like GarageBand that has more functionality, and I don't need virtual instruments.

Nano Studio, FourTrack, Fruity Loops Studio Mobile, or Studio.HD?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I love the heck out of nanostudio so much, I never even considered buying any of the others.

So I guess I can't say that nanostudio is the best, but it certainly does everything I need.

It's only real flaw/limitation is lack of multisampling.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

You might want to take a look at Meteor too.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

gypsyshred posted:

I'm looking at TouchAble, and it looks really nice, but the price is kinda steep. According to Appshopper, it never goes on sale. I'd feel a lot better about it if I could get some opinions. How is the latency? The integration? Is the UI as good as it looks?

I bought it and was rather disappointed ... actually so disappointed that I bought an APC20 the next week and tried to get my money back from the App's purchase (which I didn't, which is fair I guess). The latency over Wifi only allowed triggering of clips well before their supposed launch and the interface ran pretty choppy on my iPad 1. It also felt very small and cramped together. Nevertheless, the actual features of the App are really nice, and while I'm all for iOS music Apps, the touch screen just didn't work for me in this case.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Update on Glitchbreaks. The developer told me on The Twitter that he submitted to Apple last week and it will be $4.99.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Feenix posted:

Update on Glitchbreaks. The developer told me on The Twitter that he submitted to Apple last week and it will be $4.99.

Super, maybe he'll be able to afford a stereo cable so he can record audio off the headphone jack instead of the mic on his camera. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faster
Oct 5, 2007
I just bought the new iPad, the DM1 beat app, Animoog, and Garageband. This is so incredibly cool, I can't wait to sink more time in this. The amount of sounds possible is staggering. Now to get working on a full song...

• Locked thread