Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Looks like the locomotive factory in Muncie, IN is finally spitting out units :toot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq4--MSbuiI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

ijustam posted:

Looks like the locomotive factory in Muncie, IN is finally spitting out units :toot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq4--MSbuiI
Very appropriate music for the unveiling. :golfclap:

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
From a railroader email I received I want to share with you guys.

quote:

The Union required an engineer to drive the inspection cars on and off of the rails, and a conductor and a flagman were also needed
to operate these special built cars. There was hardly any room left for the rest of us which is why it was equipped with three rows of seats.

those wheels are probably 40's .? This would be one helluva Ghetto Cruiser today...

this looks to be a converted school bus .??

whats with the cow catcher thingies'..??Oh & nice threads guys..!!!

maybe they had a midget that had to get on .? Or the conductor stood on those steps & yelled ALL ABOARRD...!!!

I wonder if its a HEMI car..?? Ya' Think..??Hey' Bias Plies'..?? Hmmm???

eat ur' heart out Floyd Cotterpin'...those rear wheels look like early Fenton mags'..

wats with those friggin mud flaps ?? and they're in the front of the wheels ??

whoaaa' can we say Beverly Hill-Billys'..?? Granny' Clampett sits on the front fender on thet thar padded seat, a lookin fer road kill' fer her famous " possum belly stew"..

One nice looking '35 Caddie' C' Dan...!!!

and the Purple car matches the friggin'Purple' station house..!! watswithatcrap..??

ooooo', I want it,I want it...!!! I believe its a '49 or '50 # 120..??

this bad boy has ALL the bells & whistles, even the original Packard hubcaps..!! I think I saw this one on the east side the other day

check out those 4- ' 50's "Buick" port holes on the front of the hood.??& the accessory chrome trim on the running boards..The "teekers" would kill for that &wats with those rear view mirrors? are they
seriously expecting something to pass them ??

this could be my favorite one an early Caddie'...!! Notice pleze' the bell & whistle'...Oh Yeh'...

one of those ghetto' cars with the teeny throw away spares on it & lowered via broken springs..?? wats with the scrub-brushes behind the wheels.?

ahhhh yes the Old # 99 Cummin in on track # 3... ALLLLL Abboooooorrrrdddddd...!!

the infamous "Presidential Rail Inspection Car" wheres the secret service dudes'..??

oh & the Old # 499 ,"the V-P's"'34 Buick,a somewhat famous Railway Inspection Car'of sorts??

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

B4Ctom1 posted:

That right there is just pure smut my friend.

:fap:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

B4Ctom1 posted:

hey cool. I'm there right now and took these pictures the other day:

it's a big bridge.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

jamal posted:

[the land of wind and ghosts]

it's a big bridge.
Don't forget to check out King of Trade while you're in town.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

When I took a ride on CP 2816 from Calgary to Lethbridge, we were hoping we were going to go over the bridge to take pictures.

Instead we stopped in Coalhurst, just outside town. :smith:

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

jamal posted:

it's a big bridge.

Kinzua Viaduct was(sadly) bigger... I went there every year for like 7 years with scouts... I should dig through my rolls of EPS film and find some good pictures when it was still North America's longest train trestle.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

B4Ctom1 posted:

Second picture reminds me of the Galloping Goose.

9axle
Sep 6, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Among rails, its very socially unacceptable to poop in the lead unit. Every one craps on the second unit. If you do, you end up with a nickname. And this is a place that remembers a nick name better than your real name.

We went out the other night with an engineer trainee. We were stopped at a red, waiting on couple that were about an hour away when the engineer decided to crap in the lead engine. I jammed a brakestick against the door and left him there for the whole hour until we got a clear so he could enjoy his stench. He was apologetic and bought breakfast on the way home.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

9axle posted:

We went out the other night with an engineer trainee. We were stopped at a red, waiting on couple that were about an hour away when the engineer decided to crap in the lead engine. I jammed a brakestick against the door and left him there for the whole hour until we got a clear so he could enjoy his stench. He was apologetic and bought breakfast on the way home.

Had a similar situation, we did this to a conductor we know very well (known him since we were teens, camped with his family, been shooting/racing together). But he was only pissing down there and we used the switchbroom. But instead of being apologetic he was more.. apoplectic. Anyhow, later while underway as revenge he threw my fireman trainees favorite hat out the window and then threw my time book out and laughed angrily.

BTW, the old trick of putting a knuckle pin in a guy's bag is about to go the way of the dodo because they are now making them out of poly instead of steel.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

B4Ctom1 posted:

BTW, the old trick of putting a knuckle pin in a guy's bag is about to go the way of the dodo because they are now making them out of poly instead of steel.

For _freight_ usage? If so polymer must have come a long way... On the flip-side there's probably several hundred thousand TONS of steel knuckle pins in service, which could be replaced by a few hundred tons of poly, with commensurate savings in fuel, eventually...

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

B4Ctom1 posted:

Had a similar situation, we did this to a conductor we know very well (known him since we were teens, camped with his family, been shooting/racing together). But he was only pissing down there and we used the switchbroom. But instead of being apologetic he was more.. apoplectic. Anyhow, later while underway as revenge he threw my fireman trainees favorite hat out the window and then threw my time book out and laughed angrily.

I hope you hosed with him more.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

B4Ctom1 posted:

I am 100% positive that there is a huge, IMPOSSIBLY clear version of this photo floating around. I thought I had it saved but I can't seem to find it.

This is all Tinyeye has for us, which just looks like a PS touchup.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

B4Ctom1 posted:

What is a foamer you ask?

This is a foamer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhYXNwvcl6A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF8GhC-T_Mo

"We're gonna take a look at that."

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Sponge! posted:

For _freight_ usage? If so polymer must have come a long way... On the flip-side there's probably several hundred thousand TONS of steel knuckle pins in service, which could be replaced by a few hundred tons of poly, with commensurate savings in fuel, eventually...

The knuckle hinge pin actually bears no load.

When the knuckle is closed and the other pin, the one that locks the knuckle closed, the drawbar, and the knuckle itself bear all the load. The whole thing works fine with no hinge pin installed at all.

The hinge pin is just an inert thing that bears only the pivotal load of the knuckles weight as it flips open or closed not any actual draft or buff force. Except for maybe when the knuckle fails and the pin can't bear the load and break away anyways.

http://www.google.com/patents/US5630519

On a separate item. The UPRR has hired social media monitors.

I was told by attorney reps at the recent union meeting that a UP employee was level 5 permanently terminated under the "conduct unbecoming" rule of the General Code of Operating Rules.

This was for posting information on his Facebook about his UP manager which he got from the newpaper police blotter. This post was caught by these new social media employees and forwarded to that manager to handle the termination.

I made my arguments to the attorney reps about how something that is a matter of public record can be terminable. The attorneys said the company can do whatever they want.

This is because the UPRR has stated their policy clearly enough that if fired, we could possibly have no recourse at a federal mediation law board to try to get our job back.

This would likely preclude any litigation for wrongful termination.

The railroad lobbies heavily in DC to ensure the federal law boards are unfunded/underfunded to make sure most of these are never mediated.

Here is the funny part.. these hearings also cover lots of considerations. Like where the railroad has without any good cause, refused to pay employees for work performed. For example you work 20 overtime hours and they say that you are not entitled to the pay for those hours. Then, as in some sort of twisted joke, take some of the money they did not pay these employees, and then use it to lobby to de-fund the mediation process further. :psyduck:

edit:
GENERAL CODE OF OPERATING RULES—Fifth Edition—April 3, 2005
http://www.utu1904.com/files/Download/GCOR%202005.pdf

quote:

1.6 Conduct

Employees must not be:
1. Careless of the safety of themselves or others.
2. Negligent.
3. Insubordinate.
4. Dishonest.
5. Immoral.
6. Quarrelsome.
or
7. Discourteous.

Any act of hostility, misconduct, or willful disregard or negligence affecting the interest of the company or its employees is cause for dismissal and must be reported. Indifference to duty or to the performance of duty will not be tolerated.

Edit #2:

quote:

1.9 Respect of Railroad Company

Employees must behave in such a way that the railroad will not be criticized for their actions.

B4Ctom1 fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Apr 20, 2012

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Boomerjinks posted:

I am 100% positive that there is a huge, IMPOSSIBLY clear version of this photo floating around. I thought I had it saved but I can't seem to find it.

This is all Tinyeye has for us, which just looks like a PS touchup.

Maybe you're thinking of this image, which seems to be the same car?

e: Hmm. Same number, different trim. Reproduction? Or just lost the trim at some point in the last sixty years or so.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis
I work in freight car leasing. Reason the plastic knuckle pins came about in the first place is that the metal ones were falling out of the couplers on rotary-dump coal gondola, into the coal chute (while the car was being tipped) and would gently caress up the coal pulverizing mechanism that they use to break it up into smaller chunks.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

bytebark posted:

I work in freight car leasing. Reason the plastic knuckle pins came about in the first place is that the metal ones were falling out of the couplers on rotary-dump coal gondola, into the coal chute (while the car was being tipped) and would gently caress up the coal pulverizing mechanism that they use to break it up into smaller chunks.

so the plastic ones just get shredded?

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

bytebark posted:

On our end, any metal crap in coal is a big no-no. At the mine car loading facility, if the metal detector picks up any tiny metal that the magnets didn't pull, the conveyor shuts down and alarms. It isn't 100 percent, but it catches a lot.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

B4Ctom1 posted:

On our end, any metal crap in coal is a big no-no. At the mine car loading facility, if the metal detector picks up any tiny metal that the magnets didn't pull, the conveyor shuts down and alarms. It isn't 100 percent, but it catches a lot.

So a handful of coins would make for a fun day? (Being non-magnetic.)

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Sponge! posted:

So a handful of coins would make for a fun day? (Being non-magnetic.)

Coins are also pretty soft, would they really pose much of a challenge to this stuff?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

They wouldn't hurt coal-crushing jaws but they'd make for some pretty unpleasant clinker wherever this stuff is getting burnt.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Slung Blade posted:

They wouldn't hurt coal-crushing jaws but they'd make for some pretty unpleasant clinker wherever this stuff is getting burnt.

I'm saying they'd set off the metal detector, because it can't distinguish nonferrous.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis
Mostly unrelated but interesting coal train video clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFiV55zohC4&feature=related (good GE diesel sounds in this one too)

Canadian Pacific has these coal sprayers on their system, which are there to apply a coating of some sort of dust-reducing stuff. Makes sure poo poo doesn't go flying everywhere in the wind, apparently.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

When they say a train stalls out, does that mean it can't get moving or the engine actually stalls? Can you even stall a locomotive engine?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

ijustam posted:

When they say a train stalls out, does that mean it can't get moving or the engine actually stalls? Can you even stall a locomotive engine?

Doesn't have enough power to get over a hill/crossing/whatever.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

bytebark posted:

Mostly unrelated but interesting coal train video clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFiV55zohC4&feature=related (good GE diesel sounds in this one too)

Canadian Pacific has these coal sprayers on their system, which are there to apply a coating of some sort of dust-reducing stuff. Makes sure poo poo doesn't go flying everywhere in the wind, apparently.

Pretty good timing. Looks like it gets sprayed twice.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

drunkill posted:

Awesome train.

The armoured missile train from Goldeneye. Underneath the makeup it is a Bachmann Class 20 diesel electric

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
I love this video. It reminds me of a jet plane on rails.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE4A0nPjyqQ

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

B4Ctom1 posted:

I was told by attorney reps at the recent union meeting that a UP employee was level 5 permanently terminated under the "conduct unbecoming" rule of the General Code of Operating Rules.

This was for posting information on his Facebook about his UP manager which he got from the newpaper police blotter. This post was caught by these new social media employees and forwarded to that manager to handle the termination.

I made my arguments to the attorney reps about how something that is a matter of public record can be terminable. The attorneys said the company can do whatever they want.

This is because the UPRR has stated their policy clearly enough that if fired, we could possibly have no recourse at a federal mediation law board to try to get our job back.

This would likely preclude any litigation for wrongful termination.

The railroad lobbies heavily in DC to ensure the federal law boards are unfunded/underfunded to make sure most of these are never mediated.

Here is the funny part.. these hearings also cover lots of considerations. Like where the railroad has without any good cause, refused to pay employees for work performed. For example you work 20 overtime hours and they say that you are not entitled to the pay for those hours. Then, as in some sort of twisted joke, take some of the money they did not pay these employees, and then use it to lobby to de-fund the mediation process further. :psyduck:

edit:
GENERAL CODE OF OPERATING RULES—Fifth Edition—April 3, 2005
http://www.utu1904.com/files/Download/GCOR%202005.pdf

Edit #2:

Don't you just love working in loophole land?

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

B4Ctom1 posted:

I love this video. It reminds me of a jet plane on rails.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE4A0nPjyqQ

I like how the aerial video is shot from a jet because a helicopter can't keep up. :v:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

B4Ctom1 posted:

There was an employee in my territory that got Level 5'ed for posting about golfing at and being at the shooting range when he called in sick. Even had pictures up and was pretty proud of it.

Big bro' is watching!

On another related note.

http://youtu.be/7_6to6eRMos?t=38s

Oh and for the people who like tanks and trains... Here is an old video, its amazing how rails mobilized the country for war.

http://youtu.be/xrCIbKyYRqg

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 22, 2012

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
old news but funny news
http://www.tauntongazette.com/news/business_news/x530602459/Police-investigate-theft-of-railroad-tracks-in-Taunton-today-train-derailed

(thanks to Aphex)

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
also
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_6to6eRMos

(thanks to aphex)

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

ijustam posted:

I hope you hosed with him more.

When you gotta spend 20 years with a guy, its best to be resilient.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

B4Ctom1 posted:

also
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_6to6eRMos

(thanks to aphex)

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who has gone on a mindless rant about Yellow trucks being orange.

We had someone snag the ECU for a couple of trucks in the yard (they were damaged)and nobody gave a gently caress until I informed them that each one carried a core charge of $1500 and someone just bought a new car with all the fund.

Just goes to show, if it's not nailed down or on fire....still can't believe someone stole loving in use rails. Why didn't they just steal the tossed piles of rail connectors? And what the hell isn't steel only like 30 bucks a ton?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

InterceptorV8 posted:

And what the hell isn't steel only like 30 bucks a ton?

Article said that area scrapyards were paying between $.12-.15 per pound for steel, so the 900lb rail segment they took would be worth $135, assuming they could find a scrapyard to buy it (article also mentions that most scrapyards generally won't take rails because they're almost always stolen.)

Seems like way too much work for too little payoff.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

InterceptorV8 posted:

We had someone snag the ECU for a couple of trucks in the yard (they were damaged)and nobody gave a gently caress until I informed them that each one carried a core charge of $1500 and someone just bought a new car with all the fund

Tell me more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis
What did I do the other day? Oh, nothing spectacular; just rode out a derailment, that's all.

Chicago Tribune posted:

An elevated CTA train that had been chartered by railroad enthusiasts as a fund-raising effort for a railroad museum derailed today in the South Loop and resulted in 40 people having to walk to the nearest train station, officials said.

The train was chartered by the Illinois Railway Museum as a fundraiser for the McHenry County institution which was hoping to purchase a similar older train car, according to members.

CTA officials said the passengers were walked from the train by Chicago Fire Department personnel along the elevated tracks to the station at 22 East Roosevelt Rd., said Steve Mayberry, a CTA spokesman. The derailment occurred on the elevated tracks at about 11:22 a.m., officials said.

Basically what happened is while moving into a non-revenue siding, the lead truck on the fourth (last) car split a switch. Low speed, no injuries.

Of course, being a train full of rail enthusiasts, the derailment and its subsequent evacuation caused nothing but a good time to be had by all: