Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I have a problem (but it was $5 on ebay, how could I say no?)

I have a disease by spikespikespike, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Awkward Davies posted:

I have a problem (but it was $5 on ebay, how could I say no?)

I have a disease by spikespikespike, on Flickr

That's one sexy mother... I especially love the curvy 70ies design and the atomic logo on the top left. I guess it was intended to show that this is an automatic camera?

mes
Apr 28, 2006

The Yashica Electro 35 would be a pretty sweet camera if it were not for the 'pad of death' problem that plagues it. I was all set in trying to fix it but the screw that holds down the ISO dial cracked so I can't find a way to attach it back, now I'm all :effort:.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Mest0r posted:

The Yashica Electro 35 would be a pretty sweet camera if it were not for the 'pad of death' problem that plagues it. I was all set in trying to fix it but the screw that holds down the ISO dial cracked so I can't find a way to attach it back, now I'm all :effort:.

TBH I had totally forgotten about that. I'm going to put the effort into making a new advance lever, I hope it's not all for naught.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I have to be honest, I'm not super impressed with the Electro. It has a very loud shutter, it's big and heavy and I haven't found it to be any better to work with than any other fixed lens rangefinder.

The Olympus 35RC on the other hand, that is a sexy beast.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

HPL posted:

I have to be honest, I'm not super impressed with the Electro. It has a very loud shutter, it's big and heavy and I haven't found it to be any better to work with than any other fixed lens rangefinder.

The Olympus 35RC on the other hand, that is a sexy beast.

The Electro 35 CC is pretty sexy too, but I'm with you on the more common G/GS/GSN/GT/GTN, they're a bit big.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

eggsovereasy posted:

The Electro 35 CC is pretty sexy too, but I'm with you on the more common G/GS/GSN/GT/GTN, they're a bit big.

Definitely a bit big. I don't find the shutter too loud, tho I also haven't been able to use it beyond test fires. I feel like my AE-1 wins the prize for most ridiculous shutter noise.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
The Lynx 14e forever wrecked the GSN for me. No pad of death, fast f/1.4 lens, all-mechanical shutter, super heavy construction. The GSN isn't really much smaller anyway. But technically these are all rangefinders, not point and shoots.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Paul MaudDib posted:

The Lynx 14e forever wrecked the GSN for me. No pad of death, fast f/1.4 lens, all-mechanical shutter, super heavy construction. The GSN isn't really much smaller anyway. But technically these are all rangefinders, not point and shoots.

This is true. I have strayed from the intent of this thread. I am ashamed.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Awkward Davies posted:

This is true. I have strayed from the intent of this thread. I am ashamed.

As we all should be, half of this thread has been about rangefinders or zone focus cameras.

I will be shooting at the International Pillowfight in NYC this Saturday with my Fuji Klasse, an actual p&s camera, loaded with Portra 400, Portra 160NC or whatever the light dictates.

tuddy
Aug 1, 2006
I'll scream it until your ears bleed; You'll always have a friend in me.
Has anyone ever dealt with Tocad before?

My contax t2 stopped popping flash - so i called them, and the guy honestly didnt seem like he had any knowledge of the camera because he asked me if the flash was still raising out of the body a few times. I told him it was the t2 and it was fixed to the body. "Oh then its the flash relay definitely! - those are about a $200 fix"

Not knowing the mechanics of the camera instantly transpired into a diagnoses.

I didnt send the camera into them and was fortunate as I filled it with a new battery and it seems to be working perfect.

I was able to get these shots before it died, I wish it kept working as im sure i could've gotten better.

tuddy
Aug 1, 2006
contax t2, ektar 100

contax t2, portra 400

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I'm super happy with my NEX 5N as a carry-around camera, but seeing all these T2 photos makes me miss shooting with my old T2.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I've been getting very tired with how I've been shooting recently, lots of very un-spontaneous and uninspired 4x5. So at the suggestion of a friend I grabbed a roll of Fomapan 400 from the fridge, scrubbed of the DX code and shot it at 3200 in a Olympus mju:ii from the hip/without the using the view finder. Lots of fun, might have to shoot a few more rolls like this:

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

^^^ I really like those a lot - what is the trick to scrubbing DX codes and shooting at a higher ISO?

Man_of_Teflon posted:

$2 at the thrift store, hell yeah giant drunk viewfinder

Finally got around to using this some. Still developing my own Tri-X, 1+49 in HC110 for 8 minutes - 30 second agitation to start and then 10 seconds each minute after. There is a hair or something inside that I was too lazy to edit out of all the pictures.

6am walk to work in the fog, downtown Chicago. The four ugly rear end buildings are the Presidential Towers complex.

Lathrop Homes public housing on the north side of Chicago - another housing development where they've stopped re-leasing units, so they're mostly vacant and awaiting the day when they will presumably bulldoze them all and sell the land to some connected developer to make millions off of!

this camera makes MY GIRLFRIEND look twelve (she is not twelve)

i am too tall to fit in camera frames

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Man_of_Teflon posted:

^^^ I really like those a lot - what is the trick to scrubbing DX codes and shooting at a higher ISO?

That shot is pretty neat with the buildings poking into the clouds/fog.

The mju:ii uses the DX codes to set the asa/iso and there is no manual over ride, so to get it to shoot 400 at 3200 you need to scratch off a couple of the black bars. Check out DX codes on Wikipedia, it'll all make sense.

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
I just discovered my dad has had a Canonmet G-III 17 hidden away in his attic for years in practically mint condition. Time to buy a few rolls of film and go play.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Man_of_Teflon posted:

i am too tall to fit in camera frames

I thought Mitch Hedberg died years ago.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Holistic Detective posted:

I just discovered my dad has had a Canonmet G-III 17 hidden away in his attic for years in practically mint condition. Time to buy a few rolls of film and go play.

:fap:

I was able to pick one of these up last week and got a roll of film developed today, it's really a great camera. Here's a few photos that I took with it:

Fast Food by jemuelb, on Flickr

Metal by jemuelb, on Flickr

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
Look what arrived today:

Time to go annoy the everloving crap out of my flatmates shooting off a test roll.

Great shots Mest0r, what batteries are you using in the meter? Mine apparently has an alkaline cell of some kind in it right now which definitely isn't giving me the right exposure. I've ordered some zinc-air batteries to try but till then my D300 has been relegated to the role of absurdly bulky, absurdly expensive light meter.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

I have a Wein Cell, zinc/air battery that seems to work just fine. Apparently they don't last very long but the only thing that I don't like about the camera is that it only meters when set on shutter speed priority mode so most of the time I just take a meter reading then just set everything manually.

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
Yeah, I noticed that. Confused the hell out of me at first, I assumed that the meter wasn't working. Then I rooted around online for a manual and realised that you had to set it to A. Wonder why it doesn't meter on manual, seems like a really weird design choice.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Mest0r posted:

I have a Wein Cell, zinc/air battery that seems to work just fine. Apparently they don't last very long but the only thing that I don't like about the camera is that it only meters when set on shutter speed priority mode so most of the time I just take a meter reading then just set everything manually.

The problem with Wein Cells is that they're draining when you're not using them. If you're going to not use your camera/meter/whatever for more than a few days, it's in your best interest to reapply the stickers that came with the battery to stop the drain.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

dukeku posted:

The problem with Wein Cells is that they're draining when you're not using them. If you're going to not use your camera/meter/whatever for more than a few days, it's in your best interest to reapply the stickers that came with the battery to stop the drain.

Or, put on the lens cap to stop the current flow between the CDS metering cell and the battery. It cuts off in darkness. This should yield practically the same results as that's what the manufacturer intended you to do. It gets trickier if your light meter is on the body and not the lens, then you'd need the cameras ever-ready case. But for the Canonet your gold with a lens cap.

If this is a specific problem to Wein cells then ignore this advice I guess.

I use an adapter that transforms any silver oxide battery to the correct voltage. These last forever and are cheaper than the Wein cells, you'd probably make good on the adapter expense quickly.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Zinc-air batteries have a high rate of self-discharge when exposed to air. Also, voltage dividers (such as in Wein cells?) will have a small but constant draw. You can maximize your battery life by putting the sticker it came with back on the cathode.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

VomitOnLino posted:

If this is a specific problem to Wein cells then ignore this advice I guess.
It's an inherent problem with the Wein cells; they function using the oxidation of zinc. Once you take the sticker off the air hole they only last ~3 months. Supposedly you can put the sticker back on to prolong their life between uses, but it doesn't help much and you have to wait ~30 minutes after you've taken the sticker off for the battery to get up to full voltage.

tuddy
Aug 1, 2006
Are there any good p&s that have the ability to take filters?

mes
Apr 28, 2006

The Nikon L35AF that I have can take filters, it has 46mm threads though but I'm sure you can get a step up ring. And it meters on the lens so you don't have to compensate on the ISO dial.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

tuddy posted:

Are there any good p&s that have the ability to take filters?

If the camera has a flat metal front, there are magnetic filter mounts that'll stick on to the front of the camera.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

dukeku posted:

Buy 675-size hearing aid batteries and make your own adapter, Wein cells are stupidly expensive for what they are.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Having run through this thread in the last couple days, i had my eyes open when visiting the local landfills (recycling centers/landfills in denmark usually have a store attached where they sell the good stuff that come in, it's another sort of recycling i guess)

i managed to snag this little beauty:

Olympus µ[mju:]-1 by frobbe, on Flickr

it's the Olympus µ[mju:]-1 and it appears to be fully functional, i put a roll of Fujifilm Superia 200 in it. this is the first film camera i've used since i visited prague in... 2000 and most of those pictures came out with my big fat thumb on it.

i've only been shooting it today, but it whirrs and makes all the appropriate noises and was squeaky clean, i paid 3.5 USD for it, so i'm quite pleased, at least until i get the film developed and discover a whole bunch of nice closeups of my own thumb.

now i'll scamper over to the medium format thread and ask lots of questions about the Agfa Isoletto I i also got for 3.5 bucks today.

Frobbe fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 27, 2012

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
Got my first roll from the Canonet back today:

edit: Just got some 675 batteries and modified them to fit with electrical tape and tinfoil, feel like MacGyver. :cool:

Only problem is that the description on Amazon said 1.4v and the box they came in said 1.45v, anyone know if a difference in 0.1 from the original cell is going to cause that much of a difference?

Holistic Detective fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Apr 30, 2012

tuddy
Aug 1, 2006
contax t2, kodak color plus 200

tuddy fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 10, 2012

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

tuddy posted:

contax t2, kodak color plus 200

I too had an animal staring contest.

Olympus XA2, Kodak Ultra Max 400

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
Just got another roll of film back from the Canonet. Pretty much everything came out fine except this happened:

Untitled by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

Anyone know what's up with that?

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Looks like the scan got messed up, assuming you didn't do it yourself.

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
Nah, just dropped it off at my local lab.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go
I'd go ask them to rescan it. That usually happens when the scanner is automatically cropping frames but screws up the alignment.

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
Wasn't really a big deal, pretty sure both the shots were crap anyway. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't my camera doing something odd. In other news, the lens on this camera is awesome.

Untitled by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mes
Apr 28, 2006

If you're going to be shooting a lot of film in the future, it might be worth it to buy a film scanner like an Epson V500/600 and just scan it in yourself. I don't know how much you're paying for scans at your lab, but for 'low-res' scans at my shop it's an addition $4. After 40 rolls or so, the scanner is essentially paid for.

• Locked thread