Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool

Marvin Meatbat posted:

If I can do this with a simple 50mm, I can't wait to buy a nice telescope...

Ha! One day you'll regret that, once you have been introduced to the wonderful world of drift alignment, periodic error correction, field rotation, star alignment and deep space image processing.

Feel free to pop into the Astronomy thread in DIY and Hobbies if your after advice on that front though!

Edit - new page should probably have a picture.

Galaxies M95 and M96 with Supernova 2012aw by tmarkuk, on Flickr

Jekub fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Apr 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Jekub posted:

Ha! One day you'll regret that, once you have been introduced to the wonderful world of drift alignment, periodic error correction, field rotation, star alignment and deep space image processing.

Feel free to pop into the Astronomy thread in DIY and Hobbies if your after advice on that front though!

Edit - new page should probably have a picture.

Galaxies M95 and M96 with Supernova 2012aw by tmarkuk, on Flickr

Good stuff.

Here is my loot from last night.
M51
Blue Horse
South of Anser

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Took a few shots from the roof of my apartment last night

Armour Blvd by jg zkc, on Flickr

I feel like I should have cropped that red car out

Plaza by jg zkc, on Flickr

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

fknlo posted:

I feel like I should have cropped that red car out

I like it. It's like a period at the end of a sentence. That probably doesn't make any sense, but I like the little red car.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

audio posted:

Hiya dorkroom :tipshat:

D90 kit lens (18-105mm f/3.5)
multiple x 1s @ 18mm f/16 ISO 200

holy poo poo this is so fun.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.
I tried to get some shots of the Lyrids last night but it wasn't really that spectacular a meteor shower.

Lyrids Shooting Star Pyramid Lake by sulakkalus, on Flickr

Lyrids Shooting Star by sulakkalus, on Flickr

This is just a shot of the mountains in silhouette in a long exposure.

Lyrids Nighttime Exposure by sulakkalus, on Flickr

s0meb0dy0
Feb 27, 2004

The death of a child is always a tragedy, but let's put this in perspective, shall we? I mean they WERE palestinian.

Butt Savage posted:

I like it. It's like a period at the end of a sentence. That probably doesn't make any sense, but I like the little red car.
I second this. There are two areas of focus in that photo, which is normally bad, but somehow I like it. I'd like to see a version with the sky darkened and one with the car area darkened though.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Paris la Nuit by hookshot88, on Flickr

:smug:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Evilkiksass posted:

:ughh::wtc::cmon::dealwithit: It is time to grow some balls.

:catstare:

Anveo
Mar 23, 2002
My tripod arrived today so I went up to the roof to try it out:

IMG_2117 by anveo, on Flickr

IMG_2134 by anveo, on Flickr

wanghammer
Mar 24, 2001
DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH COCK I HAD TO SUCK TO GET THIS CUSTOM TITLE? A LOT!

IMG_1257 by bighoits, on Flickr

Some Auroras from last night.

unleash the unicorn
Dec 23, 2004

If this boat were sinking, I'd give my life to save you. Only because I like you, for reasons and standards of my own. But I couldn't and wouldn't live for you.

wetpossum
Oct 30, 2011
My first post in the dorkroom

Couple hundred 30sec exposures blended together using Startrails.

Sorry about the gaps between some of the trails, I stopped the camera a couple of times to make sure the pictures were coming out.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
That is all sorts of awesome, I love it!

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

wetpossum posted:

My first post in the dorkroom

Couple hundred 30sec exposures blended together using Startrails.

Sorry about the gaps between some of the trails, I stopped the camera a couple of times to make sure the pictures were coming out.

Do you have any tips for focusing at night? I tried to do some similar shots this past weekend, but after reviewing them on the computer all of them are either have a blurry foreground or blurry stars. Maybe I need to work on my hyperfocal focusing, but I was pretty disappointed.

Magicaljesus
Oct 18, 2006

Have you ever done this trick before?

Falco posted:

Do you have any tips for focusing at night? I tried to do some similar shots this past weekend, but after reviewing them on the computer all of them are either have a blurry foreground or blurry stars. Maybe I need to work on my hyperfocal focusing, but I was pretty disappointed.

Do you have some sort of live view? I turn that on, zoom in as much as possible, and manually focus on some stars...then exit out of live view to shoot.

wetpossum
Oct 30, 2011

Falco posted:

Since I usually use a Nikon AF-S lens, I find a bright celestial object or a light on the horizon that the camera can focus on. Then I switch the lens or camera to manual focus and make sure not to bump the focus ring. AF-D and Manual Focus lenses are calibrated to have a stop at infinity.

I am not a big fan of hyperfocal for stars, because neither your foreground or your background are in sharp focus.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

HookShot posted:

:smug:

Don't let the SETE see those. I don't know how serious they are about asserting their copyright claims on night images of the Eiffel tower, but they sure are a bunch of assholes.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 25, 2012

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Magicaljesus posted:

Do you have some sort of live view? I turn that on, zoom in as much as possible, and manually focus on some stars...then exit out of live view to shoot.

wetpossum posted:

Since I usually use a Nikon AF-S lens, I find a bright celestial object or a light on the horizon that the camera can focus on. Then I switch the lens or camera to manual focus and make sure not to bump the focus ring. AF-D and Manual Focus lenses are calibrated to have a stop at infinity.

I am not a big fan of hyperfocal for stars, because neither your foreground or your background are in sharp focus.

Thanks for the advice. I was having a tough time with live view because of the no moon that night. I just need to find a planet or something bright to look at and try it again.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Phanatic posted:

Don't let the SETE see those. I don't know how serious they are about asserting their copyright claims on night images of the Eiffel tower, but they sure are a bunch of assholes.

Yeah, I figure they'll never ever find it and if they do I'll take them down. Whatever.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Falco posted:

Thanks for the advice. I was having a tough time with live view because of the no moon that night. I just need to find a planet or something bright to look at and try it again.

Either figure out infinity focus on your lens beforehand so you can set it in the dark, or shine your car headlights on something more than 10 feet away and focus on that.. it should be somewhat close. Take a few test shots and check focus on the stars, make slight adjustments until you nail it.

Even planets will probably be too dim for live view to work.

oldmandon
Feb 10, 2004

OMG! It's OMD!

Phanatic posted:

I didn't know what this meant, so I looked it up. :wtc: The SETE owns the copyright to the lighting display, so you can't take photos of it at night? Absurd.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

oldmandon posted:

I didn't know what this meant, so I looked it up. :wtc: The SETE owns the copyright to the lighting display, so you can't take photos of it at night? Absurd.

It's a France only thing as far as I know. The rest of the world rightfully gives these guys the middle finger for being dumbheads.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

xzzy posted:

It's a France only thing as far as I know. The rest of the world rightfully gives these guys the middle finger for being dumbheads.

Well, the US has pretty much the same thing with that giant mirror-bean in Chicago. They changed the policy a while back, so now you only need a permit if you're shooting it for a movie or big production, but for a while there if you tried to take photos of it without a permit the city of Chicago would have a fit, at least if you were a professional photographer. It's a sculpture, so it's not treated the same under copyright law as if it were a building.

One from Kentucky:

And a few from the night the Phils won the series a few years back (and for the last time in what will probably be a very long while):

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 26, 2012

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Falco posted:

My method for star trails has been to focus on the horizon during sunset/daylight, switch to manual focus, then not touch anything until shooting time. This typically works pretty well, because once the landscape light has peaked, there's still ample light for infinity at the horizon.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Phanatic posted:

This is really cool.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Leviathor posted:

My method for star trails has been to focus on the horizon during sunset/daylight, switch to manual focus, then not touch anything until shooting time. This typically works pretty well, because once the landscape light has peaked, there's still ample light for infinity at the horizon.

My Sigma 24mm f/1.8 is great for stars. First, it's a good focal length. Second, it's nice and sharp. Third, it has a mechanism to a) set it to MF, and then b) decouple the ring so you can't change the focus even if you bump it. It's great for this.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

From a trip to north east Scotland:

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I know this isn't the best startrail ever, but I like it because we're doing field work in the foreground (riding around on ATV's looking for birds).
(single 3 hr exposure)

atv_startrail 062 on Flickr

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Night pictures of the stars is something I've been playing with for a while, here are a few I dig that I've taken.

The first is one I put together using Startrails, it's about 40 pictures at 45 second exposure taken from in town in Blaine, MN.

Star-Trails from Blaine, MN, on Flickr

This other one is taken at my dad's place out in the country in Wisconsin. There's some glow from the city about 20 miles north on there but I though it came out nice.

Northern Sky from my Dad's, on Flickr

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
One way you can focus is to use the moon if that is out (or any distant light source really) and the switch your camera or lens over to manual focus.

Instrumedley
Aug 13, 2009
Gave nighttime photography a go:

Does the white balance look too cold?

Instrumedley fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 28, 2012

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Oh, I wish I had discovered this thread sooner, great pictures all around. I haven't done any night shots in a while, so these are a little old.

Brand Library by DAMNNIGERIAN, on Flickr

Time To Leave by DAMNNIGERIAN, on Flickr

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Does anyone have a handy reference for the right ISO/aperture to use for a given exposure length and moon fullness? I'd hate to sit around waiting for a 3 hour exposure of awesome star trails only to find out that it overexposed by 4 stops or something.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Saint Fu posted:

Does anyone have a handy reference for the right ISO/aperture to use for a given exposure length and moon fullness? I'd hate to sit around waiting for a 3 hour exposure of awesome star trails only to find out that it overexposed by 4 stops or something.

Here is a handy calculator. The moon is a lot brighter than you would think. http://www.adidap.com/2006/12/06/moon-exposure-calculator/

big cheese
Apr 29, 2009

Tintern on t'internet
Here is one from my trip to California last year that I don't think I posted. My lovely remote shutter release wouldn't stay locked so the exposure isn't quite what I wanted.

McWay Falls, California by i.morrison, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's a really cool idea though, don't think I've seen it done.

Go back and do it proper. :v:

Hilroy
Jul 31, 2009

30 sec, 50D, 24mm prime, f11, iso 100

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
For the past month i've been going out on my bike every night and taking a long exposure with the bike somewhere in the picture. A few results below, the rest are at my flickr.

Night Bike 22 by UnbreakableComb, on Flickr

Night Bike 19 by UnbreakableComb, on Flickr

Night Bike 14-2 by UnbreakableComb, on Flickr

Night Bike 13 by UnbreakableComb, on Flickr

Night Bike 7 by UnbreakableComb, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
That's a pretty neat idea, and the shots are great.