Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Ahhhh, I'm an idiot. Spent a good 10 seconds looking at the first pic for a muffler...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detroit117
Mar 28, 2012

Wings Of Steel

Mcqueen posted:

Ahhhh, I'm an idiot. Spent a good 10 seconds looking at the first pic for a muffler...

It was hiding behind the huge slab of cast aluminum that is my footrest.

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

In a ketchup factory. A sexy ketchup factory.

Detroit117 posted:

Basically what I want to do is clean up the whole rear section of the bike. For some reason, Ducati hid the swing arm under a bunch of clunky bits.

next up is some rearsets and turn signals.

P.S. really enjoying all the love my bike is getting :3:

Love the bike! Go for the Rizoma rearsets and get the new Motodynamic integrated signal. I have both (with LeoVince exhaust) and the right side is smokin'. The rearsets will cost you the better part of $1k with the passenger pegs, but they're just so drat nice. I didn't think much of them until I installed them.

Detroit117
Mar 28, 2012

Wings Of Steel

Fixed Gear Guy posted:

Love the bike! Go for the Rizoma rearsets and get the new Motodynamic integrated signal. I have both (with LeoVince exhaust) and the right side is smokin'. The rearsets will cost you the better part of $1k with the passenger pegs, but they're just so drat nice. I didn't think much of them until I installed them.

Sup fellow monster rider. :) :respek: :)
I actually want to ditch the extra foot pegs. Have a cruiser for passengers.

Was thinking:

Woodcraft rearsets
http://www.monsterparts.com/pc/05-0660/696/05-0660.html

Barracuda quadra turn signals
http://www.monsterparts.com/pc/N1001Q/Electrical/N1001Q.html

Edit: let me know if you ever want to trade wheels.

Detroit117 fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Apr 14, 2012

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

In a ketchup factory. A sexy ketchup factory.

Detroit117 posted:

Sup fellow monster rider. :) :respek: :)
I actually want to ditch the extra foot pegs. Have a cruiser for passengers.

Was thinking:

Woodcraft rearsets
http://www.monsterparts.com/pc/05-0660/696/05-0660.html

Barracuda quadra turn signals
http://www.monsterparts.com/pc/N1001Q/Electrical/N1001Q.html

Edit: let me know if you ever want to trade wheels.

I like the Woodcrafts. I have heard good things about them, but I really liked the extra details found in the Rizomas. The machining is just unbelievable, even though they're just pumped out of a CNC machine. Beautiful stuff. I do like that the Woodcrafts have non-folding pegs, though.

I was going to go for those signals, but I got the Rizoma Zero 11s instead. When you remove the stock indicators, you will need an adapter plate because the hole in the headlamp is a teardrop shape. Rizoma sells black, plastic, teardrop-shape panels with smaller openings for normal signals that will work fine. I think Monsterparts has them but I got mine from Motorcycle Superstore.

I really like the black wheels, so I don't think I'll be letting go of them! I can't imagine how annoying it is to clean those silver wheels all the time. I clean my chain but it still flings poo poo everywhere.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Read a review of the new Streetfighter 848, fell in lust.

But more importantly, put my own biek back together and started her up on the first crank! :3:

Now to solve the problem of the leaky exhaust headers...

Royale with Cheese
Jul 26, 2006

They wouldn't know what the fuck a Quarter Pounder is.
Put new NGK Iridium spark plugs in the Speed Four, K&N air filter and oil filter, fresh oil and coolant, and replaced the scratched stator cover with a fresh new one. Tires need some air, but the bike's set for summer.

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003

Chris Knight posted:

Now to solve the problem of the leaky exhaust headers...

This did the trick for me.

http://www.permatex.com/products/au...asket_maker.htm

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Dellikose posted:

This did the trick for me.

http://www.permatex.com/products/au...asket_maker.htm

I've got the red stuff for the mufflers, I'll see about using it on the headers.

I did replace the old gaskets, which were two thin metal disks, and the replacements were a bit rounder and thicker. I dunno.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift
Did 120 miles to scrub in the new tires, replaced the aftermarket clutch cover with the original, installed the baffles in the exhaust, scraped off layers of old inspection stickers and parking permits, shined her up.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Chris Knight posted:

I've got the red stuff for the mufflers, I'll see about using it on the headers.

I did replace the old gaskets, which were two thin metal disks, and the replacements were a bit rounder and thicker. I dunno.

They compress when installed.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

They compress when installed.

I'm sure the new ones will be ok. I'm mostly worried about the rusty as gently caress bolts & nuts.

/adds more things to the shopping list

deliverator
Aug 8, 2000
you know i'm your Hiro
Today I installed new Vortex adjustable rearsets on my ZX10R. They sit about, oh, half an inch lower and maybe an inch back, at the maximum. They seem to be really well-engineered, the pegs look like medieval torture devices and have excellent traction, and the rear brake control is a lot better than stock. I think it gives a little more leverage as well as more feedback.

Yesterday i assembled an entire 3-part set of Givi racks and cases for my Tiger 1050, and today I put on some crash protection farkles. I'm almost done (yeah right) with all my add-ons and mods. I'm certainly sick of spending money.

Detroit117
Mar 28, 2012

Wings Of Steel

Fixed Gear Guy posted:

I really like the black wheels, so I don't think I'll be letting go of them! I can't imagine how annoying it is to clean those silver wheels all the time. I clean my chain but it still flings poo poo everywhere.

Figured you would say that, but it never hurts to ask. Think I might try to powder coat mine.

Also, your right. It is impossible to keep my wheels clean. They get completely recovered in grease in about 5 miles. :mad:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Spent yesterday in the garage, changed out the fork seals and put in new oil, pulled the gas tank, the carb, the airbox and the filter. Welded up some brackets for the now open air intake, rejetted the carbs for the new intake and open exhaust.

Today is finalizing the new intake brackets. Then we are going to remove the current stock exhaust, cut it into pieces and create a new exhaust to fit the new slimmer lines on the bike. After that we wrap the pipes and i need to make some brass heat shields for it to give it some steampunk flair.

New sporty tank is in for the bike, I had it mocked up on the jack and took a few pictures. Need to cut the bottom out, fill in the tunnel and set it up for Frisco mounting.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Been hunting a rich mixture issue for awhile now.

Dipped and stripped my carbs to swap in a new set of o-rings and tinker with the jetting. Bench synched them until I can start her up.

Checked my valve clearances, found them all in spec. :smug:

Painted my second tank, but it needs more sanding and paint before clear coating.

Pulled the clutch side case cover and spent almost 2 hours scraping 30 years of Satanic poo poo gunk out of it.

Got side-tracked by an oil filter cover stud that refused to back out. Had to drill it out and use a helicoil. FML. After some Dremel work on the cover holes to fit the slightly off replacement stud, that is now sorted, I hope. Will see if the cover holds once the engine is running.

Just need to oil my freshly cleaned pods and I can fire her up again, vacuum synch the carbs. I might also double check my ignition timing to see if it is the richness villain.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I spy my old VLX...

Strange thing to miss about a motorcycle, but the mirrors on these are the best ever made. I've never run across anything that even compared in terms of build quality and utility. They're like car mirrors from days of yore, before they went plastic.

If you wind up ditching them in favor of crouching wolf, flaming skull mirrors, let me know.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Put a new windshield on the Connie. Out with the OEM clear and on with a virtually identical sized smoke.

I think it goes well with the blue.

The shield had a big :siren: ALERT :siren: on it that said to only tighten it to 3-5 inch/pounds. Considering my torque wrench started at 30, I used their rule of thumb which was bottle cap tightness.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
I went after my new SV's starter relay because the bike was refusing to start from the ignition button.

I saw that the translucent plastic cover-cap, which my other SV's starter relay has, was missing. I pulled out the connector plug and saw some liquid inside, which looked like rain water. It was at the bottom, inside the relay's female connector. Then I took off the terminal wiring - their ends, along with the leads, bolts and washers, were all corroded like hell. Scrubbed them off with some steel wool, put it all back together. I didn't have any q-tips to try and dap out the liquid. I had ridden the bike in the rain a bit on the way back from picking it up from the P.O., and I had taken off the plastic side covers. Water must've gotten in there and hosed up the relay. A new starter relay is coming in the mail. I charged my new battery to full, and tested it at 12.9v before I put it back in the bike. I measured the AC output from the stator wires - they seemed to jump up beyond 60 to 90-120 IIRC. The R/R output like 13.1v when roaring up to 5k. Now I need to get another R/R wiring kit from that D'Ecosse guy on SVrider...

Tried starting it again - fail. Jump-started the starter relay - the bike came to life.

Then a day later, today, the gf dropped off that SV at the bike shop. I asked the shop to measure the wiring components for me to back up my understanding of what's wrong with the system.

Thank god cold weather is still around.

the walkin dude fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 17, 2012

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

slidebite posted:

Out with the OEM clear and on with a virtually identical sized smoke.

That looks really nice.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks. I think so too. I think they make an ST1300 version :)

The new shield actually seems slightly thicker than the OEM. Not sure if that's a good thing or not... don't think it's bad though.

Some people question the tint and riding at night, but even with the windshield fully extended up, my eye line is still above the top of it so I don't think it will effect that. Don't really see a downside other than not liking tint in general.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

slidebite posted:

Thanks. I think so too. I think they make an ST1300 version :)

The new shield actually seems slightly thicker than the OEM. Not sure if that's a good thing or not... don't think it's bad though.

Some people question the tint and riding at night, but even with the windshield fully extended up, my eye line is still above the top of it so I don't think it will effect that. Don't really see a downside other than not liking tint in general.

Did you go with CeeBaileys? I think thicker is better, I've had some pretty substantial debris smack into my shield before.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yes. Good catch. A Mini Euro to be precise. Certainly isn't mini in size though. It's same size as OEM but I suppose most guys that buy aftermarket go with jumbo domes so in that sense it's kind of mini I guess.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Apr 18, 2012

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
The shop confirmed that my starter relay was hosed, and the R/R was no good, and measured 70 VAC from the three wirings of my stator. Relieved as hell now.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

the walkin dude posted:

The shop confirmed that my starter relay was hosed, and the R/R was no good, and measured 70 VAC from the three wirings of my stator. Relieved as hell now.

for the price of a $15 multimeter you could have done that yourself, don't replace it with an oem one. get one of these~> http://roadstercycle.com/Shindengen%20FH012AA%20Regulator%20upgrade%20kit.htm

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Yeah, I did measure them with my multimeter - the bike was just brought to the shop for a valve check so I had them ascertain my findings since I have no confidence in myself as a mechanic. I fixed my other SV with D'Ecosse's R/R wiring kit. If he doesn't reply to me (he seems AWOL for a while now) then I'll have to look elsewhere for help. Thanks for the link!

Edit: they seem to be sold out, are there any other sources of R/R Wiring kits?

Editx2: just found the gloriousness that is EasternBeaver.com. Whee.

the walkin dude fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 18, 2012

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

the walkin dude posted:

Yeah, I did measure them with my multimeter - the bike was just brought to the shop for a valve check so I had them ascertain my findings since I have no confidence in myself as a mechanic. I fixed my other SV with D'Ecosse's R/R wiring kit. If he doesn't reply to me (he seems AWOL for a while now) then I'll have to look elsewhere for help. Thanks for the link!

Edit: they seem to be sold out, are there any other sources of R/R Wiring kits?

Editx2: just found the gloriousness that is EasternBeaver.com. Whee.

Hey! If I paypal you some money will you order and ship some connecters for me? The site has a minimum of like 20 bucks and I need a $2.50 part.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
I already ordered it, a hour ago. :(

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
:negative:

Legerdemain
May 3, 2007

Maybe there's something wrong with me, Nanny.

Ta-da!

Detroit117
Mar 28, 2012

Wings Of Steel
Wired up a Power Commander and mounted it where my tool kit used to be.
Milled out a mounting bracket for an exhaust valve emulator.

Going to Ducshop down in Atlanta to get it tuned on their dyno.

Test fitting

Machining

Bracket

Finished assembly

Detroit117 fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Apr 19, 2012

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

slidebite posted:

Put a new windshield on the Connie. Out with the OEM clear and on with a virtually identical sized smoke.

I think it goes well with the blue.

The shield had a big :siren: ALERT :siren: on it that said to only tighten it to 3-5 inch/pounds. Considering my torque wrench started at 30, I used their rule of thumb which was bottle cap tightness.

Is that bike as comfortable as it looks?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Also, for the first time in a long time, I am without a bike. Sold my 2004 KLR650. Goodnight, sweet prince.

*Hopefully before the end of the year I'll be on a Bandit 1250.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hughmoris posted:

*Hopefully before the end of the year I'll be on a Bandit 1250.

Welcome to the world of torque :getin:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The 1200 has so much torque for a all of the RPM, I cannot even fathom what it's like riding a 1250.

I fixed up the XL175's clutch last night. The whole mechanism was crusted with mud. Nothing a good spray of WD and a toothbrush couldn't clean. Then I doused it and the clutch cable with some white lithium grease. Closes back up like a champ now.

The design down there is a little baffling; the clutch actuation bit is pretty much directly exposed to whatever the front sprocket wants to shoot at it - which includes a lot of dirt and mud. Besides cutting corners on a cheap bike I don't see why they couldn't have cast or welded a little protective wall into the sprocket cover. Or maybe the grease flung from the chain is supposed to be a sort of autolube? hmmmmm

Detroit117
Mar 28, 2012

Wings Of Steel
I have a V-rod muscle with a 1250cc engine, and it pulls really nice for a bike that weighs a metric ton. the clutch has a slipper function that comes in handy. Think the Bandit weighs much less, would bet it gets up and goes.

What I did to my bike:
Made some mirror block off plates

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Detroit117 posted:

I have a V-rod muscle with a 1250cc engine, and it pulls really nice for a bike that weighs a metric ton. the clutch has a slipper function that comes in handy.

:aaaaa:
I need to test ride a V-rod so I can back it in to the Harley parking lot.

Detroit117
Mar 28, 2012

Wings Of Steel

Zool posted:

:aaaaa:
I need to test ride a V-rod so I can back it in to the Harley parking lot.

Not gonna lie, it puts a stupid grin on my face when the V-rod gets a bit loose.

Besides, Harley makes great bikes to back it in on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQP9EoV06Tw
(jump to 2:30 for crash)

Detroit117 fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 21, 2012

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Headlight is all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Ran out of gas on a freeway exit ramp :haw:

It's been so long since I've gotten low on the main part of the tank that I didn't recognize low fuel symptoms. Pulled over at the stoplight, switched over to reserve, and started 'er up again. Filled up on the way back home.