Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Bought a set of wheels off Craigslist Atlanta, hoping they arrive sometime next week. I got tired of cleaning the intricate spokes of my BLQs, and they're becoming more and more common anyway. I found a set of my favorite OE Audi wheel in excellent shape for a steal that I couldn't pass up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Broke it. :v: Transmission told me to gently caress off and die, it's making horrible horrible noises whenever the car is moving and keeps popping out of gear. It's full of gear oil, but the gear oil is full of metal shavings now.

Well at least the weather's nice, I can work on my tan a bit. :haw:

I wonder what would happen if I dumped the clutch at 4k, it's not going far without a tow truck anyway.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 21, 2012

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
Picked up my new daily driver from the previous owner, replaced the water pump, blower motor and tracked down a vacuum leak. Then drove for a very, very long time..

Camaros are so easy to work on compared to an MR2. :)

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

New dual exhaust on Saturday! http://youtu.be/04Wf9NSZRSU

Porked a $100 hubcap when it came loose at 30-MPH and beat itself to death inside the fender skirt :(

50-year-old steel.

VVV Nothing. It's 18-ga steel :black101: VVV

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 21, 2012

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

What did that do to the fender liner?

B.Wales!
Nov 17, 2008
Painted inner fenders and brake drums, installed new wheels + spacers, washed and waxed and took the boat down to the river today. Center console gets built tomorrow, and custom exhaust done early next week hopefully... been having great weather here in Ontario.

B.Wales! fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 21, 2012

thecobra
Aug 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

B.Wales! posted:

Painted inner fenders and brake drums, installed new wheels + spacers, washed and waxed and took the boat down to the river today. Center console gets built tomorrow, and custom exhaust done early next week hopefully... been having great weather here in Ontario.

Where was this taken?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Regnevelc posted:

Yeah. SINCGARS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SINCGARS

Oh I see. Thanks for showing me that.

Today I did nothing directly for anything, but I did get some unused Vulcoflex hoses at a garage sale. Awesome find for me because nobody stocks the bloody things.

I had to ignore so much other amazing stuff at garage sales which would have served me well because of severe budgetary constraints, but I'm happy with the bits and pieces I found. For me, a brushcutter, the hoses and another toolbox. kind of AI all round for me :)

B.Wales!
Nov 17, 2008

thecobra posted:

Where was this taken?

Right along the Grand River in Caledonia, Ontario.

thecobra
Aug 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

B.Wales! posted:

Damnit, been looking for an area like this around London.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

some texas redneck posted:

I wonder what would happen if I dumped the clutch at 4k, it's not going far without a tow truck anyway.

Get it on video please.

GTi_guy
Oct 21, 2003

avas ye, matey

B.Wales! posted:

It's only an hour away!

We shod have an Ontario AI meet sometime soon.

Who's in.

XCPuff
Nov 26, 2005

FEAR THIS MAN
Lets see...

1)K&N drop in
2)Plugs and wires
3)Transmission fluid
4)Headers
5)full catback Exhaust

All on my '04 GTO. Long day.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Me: 1
Parking Brake: 1

Protip: Vicegrips are not the best tool for extension springs. I nearly broke my own nose and gave myself a nice gouge on my face. Apparently even hitting near my nose is enough to get a ridiculous nosebleed.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Crustashio posted:

Me: 1
Parking Brake: 1

Protip: Vicegrips are not the best tool for extension springs. I nearly broke my own nose and gave myself a nice gouge on my face. Apparently even hitting near my nose is enough to get a ridiculous nosebleed.

For shame. You should know that the only tools that are good for everything are heavy and blunt. Both AZ and AA rent drum spring pliers because, well, we're dealing with DRUMS here, so you might need the pliers once every 70,000 miles or so? At least you were only bonking your nose with a parking brake mini-drum spring... Had it been a real one you'd probably need stitches and a tetanus booster.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Washed and waxed it for the first time!

Such a great looking little car.

Dizman
Jun 10, 2004
I'm very dizzy.
So this car has been having some issues lately (also please excuse the stupid instagram fuckery - I wanted to see what all the hype was about and now I know it's pretty dumb):

That was taken today during the dyno day at my friends shop. He called me into the back and said "Do me a favor and get this hunk of poo poo out of here" referring to this:

Didn't realize what it was for a second. Joe from RPM Transmissions came out from Anderson, IN to Claymont DE to attend the dyno day and he also just happened to bring my brand new built level 4 transmission along with him. There are a few more other goodies on the way as well that should be here Monday/Tuesday. Once I pick that piece of poo poo up from getting the windows tinted, I'll be starting the tear down at my friends house (he's got a lift in his garage) on Thursday probably. I'll try to get some pictures of that and the other special parts going in.

Dizman fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 22, 2012

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I didn't do anything because it's Sunday morning and it was raining last night. WHY DO YOU KEEP ASKING ME?

Depending on how much the ground dries out I might fit the other two P clips for holding up the coolant hoses on the VW. I'd really like a couple of those ones that take two smaller hoses for the heater hoses but don't know what they are called.

Even though it's definitely not prudent from a financial point of view I'd really like to get the VW registered. It would also afford me the luxury of extended downtime on the Fairlane so I can pull apart its cooling system etc. and repair / replace things at my own pace. There is caked on fluoro green all over the engine. It's kind of scary. What's more scary is the brown gunk I keep cleaning off the coolant tank cap and out of the tank where I can reach with a paper towel. It's not gooey or oily. I think it may be a ferrous paste. All I know is it's brown and there's lot of it.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

GTi_guy posted:

It's only an hour away!

We shod have an Ontario AI meet sometime soon.

Who's in.

Would you actually show up this time? :iceburn:

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

I did this

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

DeesGrandpa posted:

I did this

That is uh...something

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DeesGrandpa posted:

I did this

Wrong thread.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Well you guys are no fun.

Hit and run a few months back, replacing that part in june so decided might as well enjoy it till then :).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

My new registration sticker showed up today.

Too bad the car won't move far under its own power :v:

Also despite my submitting my new address with the renewal and ticking the change of address box, they still list my old address as the registered address - which isn't even in the county the car is now registered in (but they mailed it to the new address and the sticker shows the right county). I don't even know.

In good news though, someone on another forum I'm on offered me a transmission for $250 + shipping, from a 97.

edit: got details on the transmission. It's from a 97, about 90k miles. Problem: it's been sitting for 4 years, but indoors. They say the input shaft spins easily and they're able to put it in every gear. Is there any way that say, mice could get in through the axle openings? :barf: I don't see the sitting being a big deal except for the possibility of rodents, if they can get in. They've sold a lot of stuff on the other forum and have a good reputation.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 22, 2012

GTi_guy
Oct 21, 2003

avas ye, matey

Sockington posted:

Would you actually show up this time? :iceburn:

That hurts.

Are you still hanging out in Markham? I got really busy after we spoke, but seem to have slowed down a touch.

Scrodes and I still talk to Toilet Duck, so I'm sure we could drag him out to the AI meet. Let's get this motherfucker planned!

Off the top of my head, I'm thinking of either a group tour of LMC or RM Auto. Vastly different locations, but either would be awesome.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Weekend at the parents, so fixed all the stuff they've been putting off until I got here.

On my mom's Corolla:
Replaced the driver's side rear tailight with a junkyard one.
Replaced the rear dash with a junkyard one, then removed it and put it back on because I forgot to put the speakers in first.

On my dad's Celica:
Fixed the left eyebrow trim, and then glued it back on because the bespoke washers were missing.
Fixed the housing around the driver's side headlight with zip ties, because the bespoke nuts were missing.

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

Regnevelc posted:

Not my ride, but I installed a VHF radio system into three Humvees today. That was fun and a bit different than my normal everyday job.

Milgoon spotted.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Swapped the Hella HID projector out of my damaged factory headlight into the replacement Depo housing, which comes with a low quality Chinese projector that has beam pattern on par with a halogen retrofit kit.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery
Doing an oil change for the first time on my Mazda 2 (the dealer did the first one for free). Picked up 5 quarts of Mobil 1 0W-20 and the world's smallest oil filter from Pep Boys. It's a $38 package deal that they have going on right now. The car took exactly 4 quarts. 0W-20 is about the same consistency as water and you can pour the entire bottle into the engine in about 2 seconds.

I haven't had to deal with a spin-on oil filter in about 6 years. :suicide:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yesterday.

Scoop relocation(removal)

busted rear end CD changer replacement.

Today. painted grille.

It would be nice to paint the rim of the wheels in a similar fashion, but i'm lazy and a terrible painter.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Dizman posted:

So this car has been having some issues lately (also please excuse the stupid instagram fuckery - I wanted to see what all the hype was about and now I know it's pretty dumb):

Someday PA will come up with inspection stickers that don't start peeling after 6 months

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

It would be nice to paint the rim of the wheels in a similar fashion, but i'm lazy and a terrible painter.
Plastidip is basically self-levelling, though I have no idea how it'd do without some scouring ahead of time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Plastidip is basically self-levelling, though I have no idea how it'd do without some scouring ahead of time.

I tried my hand at doing that today for the first time, sadly my first coat was kind of lovely and it was loving windy as hell so I aborted the project for the day. Will give it a second go later this week.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Rhyno posted:

I tried my hand at doing that today for the first time, sadly my first coat was kind of lovely and it was loving windy as hell so I aborted the project for the day. Will give it a second go later this week.

Make sure your cans of plasti-dip are warm before you start (like room temperature). I plasti-dipped my drag racing helmet when my can had been outside for a few days, and it came out all globby so the final product was textured, when it would have been smooth if the paint were warm. I plasti-dipped my motorcycle frame on a 70 degree day and it came out perfect.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Fill a bucket with warm water and put the cans in for like 10 minutes. :science:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Bought some light reading for my car:

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

KozmoNaut posted:

That's the best kind of reading. How are you liking your 500?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

KozmoNaut posted:

Man i wish those would exist for my Peugeot 308. The only book i can find is in french. I only drive a french car! I don't speak the loving language! :argh:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

GramCracker posted:

That's the best kind of reading. How are you liking your 500?

I like my Panda very much :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Cleaned out underneath the driver and passenger seats. I bought a very old couple's car and apparently they considered the car Noah's Ark for food. I found every type of old person snack/candy that you can imagine -- caramels, good 'n' plenty, peppermint candies, rice chex, chips, dog biscuits, Werther's, some type of colored sugar cereal, cough drops and a bunch of indistinguishable stuff... all under/between the front seats.

I have cleared out dozens of cars and NEVER seen the amount of food that I found in this car. The weird thing is that you couldn't tell until you started looking underneath, the rest of the car was spotless.

It was also strange that it didn't smell, but everything was dry, so I guess no nastiness was happening.