Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

nuncle jimbo posted:

Do Walter with a dog carrier next. Please?

A Dude/Walter/Donnie 3-pack would own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

adamantium|wang posted:

Goddamn if there's one painting purchase I will never, ever regret it's buying a pot of Tamiya's Clear Red.

Also Hellbeard, keep up the excellent work.

poo poo yeah, the clear red tamiya (hell, all their clear paints) loving rules.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Hey Hellbeard, put me down for one of those as well if you ever cast it. Great project.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Fix posted:

Hey Hellbeard, put me down for one of those as well if you ever cast it. Great project.

Also me. I'd pays upwards of $30 for a cast

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Got my large order of bases from Dragon Forge Design yesterday:

The details and quality are fantastic. Now I just need to paint some minis to go on them.

Also, I tried an oil wash for the first time today. If you've never tried this I highly recommend the $10 investment it takes to start. The results are awesome and the fact you can wipe the wash off even an hour after is so helpful.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

Saalkin posted:

Also me. I'd pays upwards of $30 for a cast

...and that's what I'll charge. :)

Wow, guys, I'm blown away. Thanks so much, you're very nice. I'm making a list but I'll be sure, also, to post here when I cast. Thanks, Saalkin, Fix, Dominion, adamantium|wang and nuncle jimbo.

Actually, depending on the process and materials I'll try to make it as affordable as I can because it's not professional quality yet and I prefer to move more pieces for a low price than sell fewer expensive ones.

In the meantime I thought it'll be a good idea to do a sculptural study in planning the next one. Sorry I'm not doing Walter or Donnie but I want someone without a beard so I can practice doing the mouth area. The 3-pack idea is pretty cool so I'll hang on to that one. It's not there yet but I'm on the right path. Very illuminating.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Hellbeard posted:

Reminds me of the main character from the Legion of the Damned book. :gonk:

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
Put me down for a lebowski mini too.
He'd be my pathfinder monk.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Hellbeard posted:

Oh, is THAT how you do the eyes?

God drat that's loving creepy.

Great work, it really is fantastic to see someone's sculpting process. If I'd ever watched the Big Lebowski, I'm sure I'd be raving about this just like everyone else.

As it is, it looks cool - his sandals look a bit short at the back, though. Otherwise, can't fault it. Fantastic stuff.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

thespaceinvader posted:

Oh, is THAT how you do the eyes?

God drat that's loving creepy.

Great work, it really is fantastic to see someone's sculpting process. If I'd ever watched the Big Lebowski, I'm sure I'd be raving about this just like everyone else.

As it is, it looks cool - his sandals look a bit short at the back, though. Otherwise, can't fault it. Fantastic stuff.

Actually it's not how I made the eyes on the miniatures but it's a very good technique because otherwise it's quite difficult to do a sphere. This head study is gigantic compared to the miniature.

Up to now I've left a bit of an eye socket and then pushed and prodded the material to form a sort of eye "drawing" or line but I think I might try the sphere in socket technique next. I'm trying to figure out a way to work smart like in stages so it comes out with a good likeness.

The sandals are short on purpose because they're small or he's wearing them wrong or something.

Manifest - thank you. That sounds cool.

bhsman also maybe Palmer Eldritch! :)

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
I made a lightbox! Also a Lord of Change.

I am paranoid that the one foot holding this model onto the base is going to come loose despite the pin. Then all the spindly metal will fall and break apart along with my heart.

Red Shoe fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 21, 2012

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Hellbeard posted:

...and that's what I'll charge. :)

Wow, guys, I'm blown away. Thanks so much, you're very nice. I'm making a list but I'll be sure, also, to post here when I cast. Thanks, Saalkin, Fix, Dominion, adamantium|wang and nuncle jimbo.

Actually, depending on the process and materials I'll try to make it as affordable as I can because it's not professional quality yet and I prefer to move more pieces for a low price than sell fewer expensive ones.

In the meantime I thought it'll be a good idea to do a sculptural study in planning the next one. Sorry I'm not doing Walter or Donnie but I want someone without a beard so I can practice doing the mouth area. The 3-pack idea is pretty cool so I'll hang on to that one. It's not there yet but I'm on the right path. Very illuminating.

Hello, Alan Rickman.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

thespaceinvader posted:

Step 1: get off the internet right now and watch The Big Lebowski.
Step 2: avoid hurtful criticisms about your choices in life if anyone ever asks you if you've seen The Big Lebowski.

Seriously though, it's a great movie, and if you're a fan of Nietzsche, you'll love it even more. Even if you hate Nietzsche or never heard of him, you'll still love it.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Hellbeard posted:

Now do some anime eyes this way. :v:

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Can anybody recommend a good sealer? The paint keeps rubbing off my metal mini's from just handling them :(.

Never had this problem with resin.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
I use Vallejo Game Color brush-on Gloss Coat, usually two coats of that for a hard shell. Once that's fully dry I follow that up with a quick spray of Testor's Dullcoat to take away the shine.

If you ever notice your minis getting glossy in spots as you handle them, then you know you've rubbed off the Dullcoat and need to reapply.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Hixson posted:

Can anybody recommend a good sealer? The paint keeps rubbing off my metal mini's from just handling them :(.

Never had this problem with resin.

Wash the metals before you paint them with dish soap or simple green (diluted) or something.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Devlan Mud posted:

Wash the metals before you paint them with dish soap or simple green (diluted) or something.

I would have, but I buy most of my stuff used. It came already base coated.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Red Shoe posted:

I made a lightbox! Also a Lord of Change.

I am paranoid that the one foot holding this model onto the base is going to come loose despite the pin. Then all the spindly metal will fall and break apart along with my heart.

Owns, loving the robes on this.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Manifest posted:

poo poo yeah, the clear red tamiya (hell, all their clear paints) loving rules.

I've seen these at my FLGS but never picked them up, whats so special about them. Where would i use them, do you have any example pics?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
I will when I finish this oath.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
You know, when I sat down to watch a commercially available video on how to paint miniatures, I really wasn't anticipating a lesson in how to shade the exposed breasts and panty crotches of ugly sculpts. But here I am.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

how to shade the exposed breasts and panty crotches
Considering the percentage of miniatures this would cover it's probably not a bad spot to start.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

You know, when I sat down to watch a commercially available video on how to paint miniatures, I really wasn't anticipating a lesson in how to shade the exposed breasts and panty crotches of ugly sculpts. But here I am.

I just spent ten minutes of my life carefully shading and highlighting the detailed sculpting on the crotch and seat of an Ogre's pants.

This hobby. :smithicide:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I spent a half-hour working the buttocks on my Doombull, trying to get a really nice, subtle blend. When I came back the next day, it had all dried to one flat shade, so I had to paint his rear end all over again. :sigh:

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
Asses don't seem so bad. I mean, you see asses all the time, usually covered by clothes. But carefully shading and highlighting a lovingly-sculpted cock would be horrifying.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Oh, well, that's different altogether. How about crafting a beautiful, subtle paint job on the Wet Nurse? There's a project to give you nightmares.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
Put me down for a dude, too. I need to play him in a Warmachine game just say "Dude activates. He abides."

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Hellbeard posted:

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

InternetJunky posted:

Considering the percentage of miniatures this would cover it's probably not a bad spot to start.

I think the most important thing to learn is how to paint a goddamn cloak. Everything from gandalf to a space marine has one.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Kommando posted:

I've seen these at my FLGS but never picked them up, whats so special about them. Where would i use them, do you have any example pics?

Gore tutorial using Tamiya Clear Red and some black ink. Good for fresh blood effects, and far better looking than the red paint everybody slathers on Chaos Marine weapons when they're twelve.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Tadhg posted:

I just spent ten minutes of my life carefully shading and highlighting the detailed sculpting on the crotch and seat of an Ogre's pants.

This hobby. :smithicide:

I once broke off my tip* in an Ogryn. It wasn't pretty.

*drillbit tip

thespaceinvader posted:

If I'd ever watched the Big Lebowski, I'm sure I'd be raving about this just like everyone else.
Get the hell off the Internet right now and watch The Big Lebowski. You are not allowed to return here until you do.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff

adamantium|wang posted:

Marbo update

Just need to tidy up his armour, do his weapons and blood spatter.

No one quoted Marbo and I'm gonna go ahead and say that that is a badass job.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Thanks mate :) I just finished him:

The rest of the Marbo gallery is here. Will make an Oath post soon. Oath post is here.

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Apr 22, 2012

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Really nice. I love the barcode unit identifier.

For a little content, the new 'orky' greens (Waagh Flesh, Warboss, Skarsnik) are great. Quick and simple progression to get a nice skin tone.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Goddamn, that Marbo is the bomb.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Anyone know if Knarloc Green got a replacement, and if so, how closely it matches?

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
I too prefer the drabber, olive greens to the grass greens of Waaagh Flesh and co.

I bought Death World Forest as a closest match base paint, but its lighter in shade than Knarloc. Castellan Green looks to be darker, but I didn't try that one yet.

To share some other Green based experience, Elysian Green is kinda like the old Camo Green knocked down a shade. Straken Green is Knarloc Green is kinda washed out, like a Catachan Green mixed with bone. Loren forest isn't that far off the Knarloc shade, but its a layer rather than a base.

Miles O'Brian fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 22, 2012

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
drat, my Warhammer stuff is collecting dust. Been so busy with other stuff and when I finally have time I am too tired to do anything productive. Need to get back into this. I have only played one game of Warhammer 40k kill team with a guy's Space Marines at the local store. The game itself was a lot of fun and I would like to have my own army but it takes time.. so much time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Fyrbrand posted:

Anyone know if Knarloc Green got a replacement, and if so, how closely it matches?

Loren Forest. LF on the left, KG on the right.

• Locked thread