Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exergy
Jul 21, 2011

Lexicon posted:

I've recently gotten into 1Password, and I'm impressed with the app and its browser integration etc. Are there any big issues to be aware of or reasons *not* to use it before I migrate my life there?

I use keepass for 3yrs already, no issues, can't imagine any my PC without it. And keep in mind that 1Password is not the only password management app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Lexicon posted:

I've recently gotten into 1Password, and I'm impressed with the app and its browser integration etc. Are there any big issues to be aware of or reasons *not* to use it before I migrate my life there?

I recently converted and I love it; can't think of any downsides other than you'll need to encrypt your Dropbox folder if you're ultra-paranoid.

Also this: http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/oneclick_bookmarks.html

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

pipes! posted:

I recently converted and I love it; can't think of any downsides other than you'll need to encrypt your Dropbox folder if you're ultra-paranoid.

Also this: http://help.agilebits.com/1Password..._bookmarks.html

how do you "encrypt" your dropbox folder? Isn't the 1password database already encrypted?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Yeah I thought that the 1Password db in Dropbox was already encrypted and that's why you needed to login to use the stored .html file in there.

amishpurple
Jul 21, 2006

I'm not insane, I'm just not user-friendly!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Though development is slow on it, I much prefer CoRD to Microsoft's client.

Thank you so much for this. Lightyears ahead of the lovely RDP client included with Office 2011.

Hiyoshi
Jun 27, 2003

The jig is up!

echobucket posted:

how do you "encrypt" your dropbox folder? Isn't the 1password database already encrypted?

Almost all of the 1Password entries are stored in plain text with only the sensitive information such as passwords encrypted. So if someone got access to your Dropbox account, they could look in your 1Password folder and see your usernames but not your passwords, or that you have a Bank of America account, but not the account number.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

pipes! posted:

can't think of any downsides other than you'll need to encrypt your Dropbox folder if you're ultra-paranoid.

Presumably the iOS versions won't work if you do this? I understand that they just read right out of Dropbox once you authorize the app?

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

echobucket posted:

It's more talking about people who are wary of Dropbox's past vulnerability issues and want to encrypt their local Dropbox folder with something like TrueCrypt for an extra layer of protection. Again, not the normal use case but Dropbox has had a few major issues with security in the past.

Lexicon posted:

Presumably the iOS versions won't work if you do this? I understand that they just read right out of Dropbox once you authorize the app?

I think that's right, yeah. I don't do it myself so I can't really comment past that (don't hack me plz).

pipes! fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 19, 2012

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Hiyoshi posted:

Almost all of the 1Password entries are stored in plain text with only the sensitive information such as passwords encrypted. So if someone got access to your Dropbox account, they could look in your 1Password folder and see your usernames but not your passwords, or that you have a Bank of America account, but not the account number.

I don't believe this is true. I went and opened up a few of the 1password files inside the 1password keychain folder in my dropbox and there aren't any user names in there.

Here's a sample of what I found.

code:
{"uuid":"0A3FD930D9CC4741A5273FC64F38B41B","updatedAt":1325782343,"locationKey":"","openContents":{"contentsHash":"fe62a730","securityLevel":"SL5"},"keyID":"51A7DB2236964070B50BBA38144979B8","trashed":true,"title":"","location":"","encrypted":"xxxxxxxxx","createdAt":1325782186,"typeName":"system.Tombstone"}
I removed the value for "encrypted" just to be safe, although I'm pretty sure I could post it safely here and nobody would be able to crack it without my master password.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

This is actually a fairly good blog posting on their security: http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/cloud_storage_security.html

tl;dr: There seems to be a reasonable compromise between convenience and security, and there's probably no cause for concern about storing on Dropbox.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Lexicon posted:

This is actually a fairly good blog posting on their security: http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/cloud_storage_security.html

tl;dr: There seems to be a reasonable compromise between convenience and security, and there's probably no cause for concern about storing on Dropbox.

Thanks for that link. Explains a lot!

Hiyoshi
Jun 27, 2003

The jig is up!

echobucket posted:

I don't believe this is true. I went and opened up a few of the 1password files inside the 1password keychain folder in my dropbox and there aren't any user names in there.

Here's a sample of what I found.

code:
(code)
I removed the value for "encrypted" just to be safe, although I'm pretty sure I could post it safely here and nobody would be able to crack it without my master password.

You're right, I was mistaken about user names; but the title of the entry and sometimes the URL that the login information is associated with isn't always encrypted, such as this:
code:
{"uuid":"xxx","updatedAt":1322743163,"locationKey":"","openContents":{"contentsHash":"b1cf64a0"},"keyID":"xxx","title":"[BANK NAME] Savings","location":"","encrypted":"xxx","createdAt":1322743066,"typeName":"wallet.financial.BankAccountUS"}
I'd rather the fact that I even have an entry called "[BANK NAME] Savings" or a login for forums.somethingawful.com not be stored in plain text.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

evil_bunnY posted:

That's not what he said.

The point is that cloud storage will happily take files that your local filesystem's already corrupted. Generally, a local FS will always be a necessary pit-stop for your bits, so why not make it less sucky. They took DTrace for free, they could have done the exact same thing for ZFS.
Okay, since you absolutely have to resurrect this formerly happily concluded subject:

First, I am absolutely in favor of using ZFS. Second, I know that cloud storage and ZFS can coexist. The only reason that I discussed priorities between the two is because some people here made it look like Apple had made a choice between the two and that cloud storage is for buffoons.

Given that ZFS is better, I'd still be curious how much it could help mitigate the effects of corruption brought on by failing hardware in practice. From my own experience and based on a complete absence of "buzz" for ZFS in this regard, I'd expect not by much.

Also, next time when you present a 14 page paper in support of your viewpoint, at least quote a relevant part or give a page number.

Mr. Smile Face Hat fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 19, 2012

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

chimz posted:

If Shift doesn't get you into safe boot, you'll need to boot into recovery and remove the Little Snitch kext at /System/Library/ Extensions/LittleSnitch.kext

I DO actually have a really old version of Little Snitch installed. I couldn't get into safe boot, and in recovery the terminal only shows the contents of my hard drive as the Library folder and a few folders inside, but back in Windows I can go onto my Mac HD and find that folder. So it's definitely there, I just have no idea how to delete it.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 19, 2012

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Regarding 1Password, here's another question: Is the notes field for a login entry (not Secure Note) encrypted? I added a test note to an entry, and dug around in the resulting JSON file - I didn't see the plaintext in there, but this isn't exactly proof of encryption...

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

explosivo posted:

I DO actually have a really old version of Little Snitch installed. I couldn't get into safe boot, and in recovery the terminal only shows the contents of my hard drive as the Library folder and a few folders inside, but back in Windows I can go onto my Mac HD and find that folder. So it's definitely there, I just have no idea how to delete it.
Yeah I'm not sure how much you can do outside of OS X. I remember having trouble with the journal on my drive being hosed up and the only way to fix was from within OS X, even various Linux Live drive rescue things couldn't get write access.

...that said, are you sure you're looking at the right drive in recovery mode? Like are you just looking at the root path ("/")? If so that would explain just Library and a few other folders showing up, cause you're looking at the recovery partition's root (since that's now the boot drive). Your drive should be at "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/" or whatever your drive is named. If not then uh :ohdear:. But if it's there, you should be able to do whatever you're supposed to do to remove LittleSnitch and any other weird things that you may have installed.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Is there a way to make a (.m4v) movie that is being played with an incorrect aspect ratio play with the correct aspect ration by default?

VLC has no problems just changing the aspect ratio during playback, but I want to watch this in iTunes/iPos in the correct aspect ratio.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Yeah there's a few apps that can do it, although the only one I have and can think of off the top of my head is MP4tools.

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

explosivo posted:

if it really is that particular Little Snitch kernel extension that is halting the boot process, and you don't mind getting your hands a bit dirty, you can boot in single user mode (cmd + S on startup), then type this: (with a Return after every line)

code:

mount -uw /
cd /System/Library/Extensions/
rm -rf LittleSnitch.kext
reboot

to delete it.

Then hold Shift on your next boot to force the OS to rebuild its kernel extension caches, and see if the machine loads up the OS correctly.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm not going to dare try and ask this in the Diablo thread so I was hoping to see if I could get some advice. I basically never game on PC so I am a total newb when it comes to this stuff.

I'm playing the D3 beta and my 2009 macbook pro:

Processor 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3

According to the site, my laptop exceeds recommended requirements, yet the game runs at like 2 FPS on bare minimum settings. This is basically the problem I have had with the few games I have tried to install on this thing. I always exceed the requirements but every game runs like total poo poo. Maybe it's just a beta thing but I don't want to buy D3 just to find that I can't play it. What gives? Why won't my laptop play games it should be able to run just fine?

Edit: Nope. I am retarded. it's my video card isn't it? I have been waiting for this loving game for 5 years and I'm not going to be able to play it :cry:

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 21, 2012

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

I'm not going to dare try and ask this in the Diablo thread so I was hoping to see if I could get some advice. I basically never game on PC so I am a total newb when it comes to this stuff.

According to the site, my laptop exceeds recommended requirements, yet the game runs at like 2 FPS on bare minimum settings. This is basically the problem I have had with the few games I have tried to install on this thing. I always exceed the requirements but every game runs like total poo poo. Maybe it's just a beta thing but I don't want to buy D3 just to find that I can't play it. What gives? Why won't my laptop play games it should be able to run just fine?

Your problem is the 9400M. The 9400m is roughly half as powerful at the 8600M which itself is listed as the minimum required.

Basically, the 9400M is just not powerful enough to do much when it comes to gaming.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, with graphics, the first digit typically indicates generation and the second indicates the tier within that generation. So a 9400 is likely to be worse than an 8600. However, hardware manufacturers are notoriously bad at making consistent naming schemes. See Intel's designations on which letters and numbers indicate hyperthreading, number of cores, turbo boost etc.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

NESguerilla posted:

Edit: Nope. I am retarded. it's my video card isn't it? I have been waiting for this loving game for 5 years and I'm not going to be able to play it :cry:

Buy a new Macbook Pro next week

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Bob Morales posted:

To expand, buy one with a real GPU and not lovely intel integrated.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

NESguerilla posted:

the game runs at like 2 FPS on bare minimum settings.

I've just tried this out on several computers, among them my 2009 MBP 13" with exactly those specs.

It's decent on the 13". Not smooth like butter, but playable. The very beginning of the game was really 2 FPS regardless of the settings, but also on my Nvidia 460 GTX Windows PC. My conclusion is therefore that they either messed up the beginning or that the game needs to build a cache of some sort before it starts to get decently playable.

In any event the graphics card is okay for this. I know it's old and all that but it's playable.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

At this point I think I am just going to keep my Macbook until it melts and get an iMac instead of upgrading. No need for a powerful laptop if I have a desktop.

flavor posted:

I've just tried this out on several computers, among them my 2009 MBP 13" with exactly those specs.

It's decent on the 13". Not smooth like butter, but playable. The very beginning of the game was really 2 FPS regardless of the settings, but also on my Nvidia 460 GTX Windows PC. My conclusion is therefore that they either messed up the beginning or that the game needs to build a cache of some sort before it starts to get decently playable.

In any event the graphics card is okay for this. I know it's old and all that but it's playable.

Nice, thanks for that. I'll give it another whirl tomorrow.

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
Well this is interesting, whenever I download anything for more than a minute or two my internet will cut out completely. It's only happening to the iMac, since I just tried two different Windows laptops on my wifi network and everything worked fine. Oh and the iMac isn't even using wifi, it's a wired connection through a nine million year old router. Is it the router's fault, or could it be something I haven't set up properly in OS X? Is there an equivalent of a duplex setting or something like that in OS X that I should try messing with?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Open up Console.app, select "All Messages" and try to reproduce the issue. Do you see anything interesting in the logs at the same time you notice your internet cutting out?

That's really the first step to troubleshooting this.

In a properly working network you shouldn't need to fiddle with duplex settings. You MIGHT want to flip the iMac to another ethernet port on your switch/router just to rule out that it isn't a bad port on the router but the Console thing should help too.

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
Ok, tried another big file download and as usual everything went normally for a few mins until everything cut out. Console said:

4/21/12 1:17:07.000 AM kernel: Ethernet [AppleBCM5701Ethernet]: Link down on en0
4/21/12 1:17:07.854 AM configd: network configuration changed.
4/21/12 1:17:11.000 AM kernel: Ethernet [AppleBCM5701Ethernet]: Link up on en0, 100-Megabit, Full-duplex, No flow-control, Debug [796d,0300,0de1,0300,41e1,0000]
4/21/12 1:17:11.274 AM configd: network configuration changed.
4/21/12 1:17:12.392 AM ntpd: bind(25) AF_INET6 fe80::7e6d:62ff:fe8d:316a%6#123 flags 0x11 failed: Can't assign requested address
4/21/12 1:17:12.392 AM ntpd: unable to create socket on en0 (12) for fe80::7e6d:62ff:fe8d:316a#123
4/21/12 1:17:19.812 AM configd: network configuration changed.
4/21/12 1:17:19.818 AM mDNSResponder: DeregisterInterface: Frequent transitions for interface en0 (FE80:0000:0000:0000:7E6D:62FF:FE8D:316A)
4/21/12 1:17:26.537 AM configd: network configuration changed.
4/21/12 1:17:26.542 AM mDNSResponder: mDNS_RegisterInterface: Frequent transitions for interface en0 (192.168.0.104)

Then it sat there for a minute, and everything reconnected (it's showing Adium reconnecting here I guess?)

4/21/12 1:18:03.776 AM [0x0-0x8008].com.adiumX.adiumX: SocketRead err = -9806
4/21/12 1:18:03.776 AM [0x0-0x8008].com.adiumX.adiumX: cdsa: SSLHandshake failed with error -9806

If I let the download resume after my connection kicks back in, it just keeps doing the same thing of disconnecting me after a few minutes. I've never had any disconnections at all other than when I'm downloading if that makes any difference.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bad cable that drops the connection, or worse bad port on the iMac or switch?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Try switching cables, or get a good router.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Voodoo Cafe posted:

:words:

Thanks for the help, this didn't end up working though. I think it's time to just reformat again and do a fresh install.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mr. Onslaught posted:

Ok, tried another big file download and as usual everything went normally for a few mins until everything cut out. Console said:

4/21/12 1:17:07.000 AM kernel: Ethernet [AppleBCM5701Ethernet]: Link down on en0
4/21/12 1:17:07.854 AM configd: network configuration changed.
4/21/12 1:17:11.000 AM kernel: Ethernet [AppleBCM5701Ethernet]: Link up on en0, 100-Megabit, Full-duplex, No flow-control, Debug [796d,0300,0de1,0300,41e1,0000]

Yeah at this point everyone's said what I'd point to. Try:

1. Changing the port that you're plugged into on the router
2. Changing the cable.
3. If you still get disconnected please try taking the router out of the equation by plugging your iMac's cable directly into your cablemodem for a few minutes while you try the download again.

If you're unlucky it's your Mac's ethernet port going bad. If you're lucky it's one of the above two. Either way it doesn't seem to be anything OS-related.

If you're still under warranty, try the above three steps and if they don't help then go make an appointment at the Genius Bar.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 21, 2012

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Stupid question. What is the name of the funtion that shows thumbnails of all of my open windows when I mouse down to the bottom left of the screen? It stopped working for me for some reason and I can't figure out how to turn it back on.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Hot Corner for Expose.

You should be able to type Hot Corner into Spotlight and find the System Prefence window. It's moved around a bit with the last few OS X releases.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That worked. Thanks!

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

Hmm, I tried all the stuff you guys said and still had the same problem. Plugging in directly from the modem and taking the router out of the equation, changing ports on the router, trying a different cable entirely - each time I still was fine for browsing or whatever and then would disconnect about 2 or 3 minutes into a download.

So I figured that meant it was the ethernet card going bad for sure, and stupidly realized an easy way to test that would be to connect through Wifi :downs:. Still, the exact same problem. Perfectly solid connection doing anything, but then disconnected while downloading.

So it's not the router, it's not the cable, it's not the ethernet port, what other hardware related issue could it be? Or at this point is it most likely software related?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

NESguerilla posted:

The Diablo 3 thread indicates there is still a crippling mac specific bug.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

KingEup posted:

The Diablo 3 thread indicates there is still a crippling mac specific bug.
Don't get too specific with descriptions, links or anything. I've actually tried this out and posted about it, but don't let that get in the way either.

What I can say after checking this out on 3 Macs (best one is an early 2011 MBP 17" with 16 gigs) and a Windows PC (as described further above) is that it ran like a slide show in the beginning, no matter what the hardware or OS was. My suspicion is that it's somehow related to the content which either needs to be downloaded when entities first appear or for which a cache needs to be built at that time. Maybe there's also some server interaction slowing things down.

On all platforms it got gradually better to the point of being reasonable within the first 10 minutes or so.

If there's a mac-specific bug, it's not crippling the game.

In any event, I guess this is due to letting people start playing before all the content is there and streaming the rest on demand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Mr. Onslaught posted:

Hmm, I tried all the stuff you guys said and still had the same problem. Plugging in directly from the modem and taking the router out of the equation, changing ports on the router, trying a different cable entirely - each time I still was fine for browsing or whatever and then would disconnect about 2 or 3 minutes into a download.

So I figured that meant it was the ethernet card going bad for sure, and stupidly realized an easy way to test that would be to connect through Wifi :downs:. Still, the exact same problem. Perfectly solid connection doing anything, but then disconnected while downloading.

So it's not the router, it's not the cable, it's not the ethernet port, what other hardware related issue could it be? Or at this point is it most likely software related?
Got Windows installed on it by any chance? I've heard of networking being messed up in OS X but ok in Windows...but I can't remember what the issue or solutions were whenever I've read about it :(.

So what's the entire setup? Just basic modem-router-computers? What's the network configuration on the Mac? I guess check to make sure there's no funky extra settings input in there. And how did you rule out the router? Did you try connecting directly to the modem?