Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I would almost classify OS X's networking as 'buggy'. I see so many weird issues with it. When you see link down/up in the logs it's usually something like the cable being disconnected and then re-connected right way, like with a bad cable or power cycling of the switch/router. If you're 100% sure the router is still up and it's not getting rebooted because you're running a torrent or something that would crash an older router, it's probably some dumb poo poo reason that the OS itself is restarting or reconfiguring your interface.

Have you ever used Internet Sharing on your machine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jihad_jain
May 8, 2011
Ok I'm having a problem with bootcamp. It hosed up while rebooting from OS X into Windows 7, and went to a blank black screen. Everytime I Restart it it'll do the mac start up chime before going back to that black screen, and holeing down option or F8 does nothing. Any ideas?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

jihad_jain posted:

Ok I'm having a problem with bootcamp. It hosed up while rebooting from OS X into Windows 7, and went to a blank black screen. Everytime I Restart it it'll do the mac start up chime before going back to that black screen, and holeing down option or F8 does nothing. Any ideas?

SMC reset.

Then this may/may not be relevant.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3173

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
In doing some more testing, I've narrowed it down a bit more. At first I thought it was any big file that lasted more than a few minutes would make it disconnect, but it seems to be more related to speed. If it goes over a certain DL speed, that's when the disconnect happens. I was able to download a 500 mb file for an hour at 100kb with no problems, so maybe that helps pin down the cause?

japtor posted:

Got Windows installed on it by any chance? I've heard of networking being messed up in OS X but ok in Windows...but I can't remember what the issue or solutions were whenever I've read about it :(.

I'll be installing Windows later in the week, and if everything works fine on that I might just switch my iMac to a permanent Windows machine ;[

quote:

So what's the entire setup? Just basic modem-router-computers? What's the network configuration on the Mac? I guess check to make sure there's no funky extra settings input in there. And how did you rule out the router? Did you try connecting directly to the modem?

Yeah it's just a plain old router connected to the iMac via ethernet. My PS3, iPad, iPhone, and Windows laptop have all been able to download large files at high speeds with no problem today. I tried the iMac on Wifi instead of ethernet and still got disconnected when downloading. I tried the iMac plugged in directly from the modem to rule out the router, still had the same problem. I tried a few different cables too (both from the modem to the iMac, or from the router to the modem, or switching ports, etc). My settings for the network config are all default/auto.

Bob Morales posted:

Have you ever used Internet Sharing on your machine?

Nope

This is really perplexing since it's a rock solid connection doing anything else and it seems like all the hardware issues have been ruled out.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

flavor posted:

Don't get too specific with descriptions, links or anything.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3468869&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=177#post402843136

Blizzard support:

quote:

Bear in mind that the beta has its own FPS issues simply because it's a beta; Diablo III won't be optimized until release. My custom-built gaming system can't play the beta smoothly either, but it will be fine on release. Blizzard betas are genuine betas, unlike the glorified demos that some companies refer to as a "beta".
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4427566486#15

Seems pretty clear that predicting performance right now is pointless.

jihad_jain
May 8, 2011

Yeast posted:

SMC reset.

Then this may/may not be relevant.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3173

It didn't do anything. I must've tried that key combo six or seven times.

I've scheduled a genius bar appointment for Wednesday.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Mr. Onslaught posted:

This is really perplexing since it's a rock solid connection doing anything else and it seems like all the hardware issues have been ruled out.
One other software thing to try out, try booting into recovery mode...I'm not entirely sure where to go from there, but there's Safari and the Terminal available. Maybe try streaming a video from YouTube or some site that can give a fast connection.

Are transfers over the LAN ok with it? And did you check the extra network settings under Advanced? Another thing to try would be to just delete the interfaces from the prefpane and re add them (assuming the plus and minus buttons are still there at the bottom of the list). No clue if that'd actually do anything but it's worth a shot at this point.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

jihad_jain posted:

It didn't do anything. I must've tried that key combo six or seven times.

I've scheduled a genius bar appointment for Wednesday.

Have you tried using an alternative keyboard?

So what you're saying is that the machine doesn't give you the option to go to the boot manager, it auto-bots to Windows?

edit: try putting in an OS X disc and then booting to the disc, it may give you the opportunity to break the cycle.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Your link to the SA thread only leads to somebody saying that there's a "crippling Mac specific bug" without that person backing that up in any way, so your link is worthless. It's not like I'm trying to uphold the honor of the Mac at all cost (I'm not averse to playing on my PCs), it's just that I'd be interested to have some more info on that because PC and Mac work the same for me for this game.

You're right that you can't predict performance based on that beta yet. But it's all we have and it's probably going to be better than the beta. So it's kinda relevant that even the beta works better when you run it for a while and it gets all its content in place.

jihad_jain
May 8, 2011

Yeast posted:

Have you tried using an alternative keyboard?

So what you're saying is that the machine doesn't give you the option to go to the boot manager, it auto-bots to Windows?

edit: try putting in an OS X disc and then booting to the disc, it may give you the opportunity to break the cycle.

it auto-boots to windows no matter what, and gets hung up on a black screen.
i've tried taking out the hard drive and starting with a backup drive with the same results.

i'd try the disc idea, but i just have a snow leopard disc and i already tried to put my windows disc in it.

Hiyoshi
Jun 27, 2003

The jig is up!

Mr. Onslaught posted:

In doing some more testing, I've narrowed it down a bit more. At first I thought it was any big file that lasted more than a few minutes would make it disconnect, but it seems to be more related to speed. If it goes over a certain DL speed, that's when the disconnect happens. I was able to download a 500 mb file for an hour at 100kb with no problems, so maybe that helps pin down the cause?

I'll be installing Windows later in the week, and if everything works fine on that I might just switch my iMac to a permanent Windows machine ;[

Yeah it's just a plain old router connected to the iMac via ethernet. My PS3, iPad, iPhone, and Windows laptop have all been able to download large files at high speeds with no problem today. I tried the iMac on Wifi instead of ethernet and still got disconnected when downloading. I tried the iMac plugged in directly from the modem to rule out the router, still had the same problem. I tried a few different cables too (both from the modem to the iMac, or from the router to the modem, or switching ports, etc). My settings for the network config are all default/auto.

Nope

Download Ubuntu on one of your other machines, boot from the CD and see if you still have the problem.

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.

japtor posted:

And did you check the extra network settings under Advanced? Another thing to try would be to just delete the interfaces from the prefpane and re add them (assuming the plus and minus buttons are still there at the bottom of the list). No clue if that'd actually do anything but it's worth a shot at this point.

Dang I did this and thought it fixed it for a minute, I jumped the gun though

quote:

Download Ubuntu on one of your other machines, boot from the CD and see if you still have the problem.

I can try this after I see if Windows has the same issue

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Does anyone know why my Mac Pro insists on mounting network volumes twice? It's kinda annoying.

FWIW, both are AFP shares. One is a Mac Mini running Lion Server and the other is a FreeNAS 8 box.

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

Having a bit of a frustrating time trying to get some 1080p camcorder footage running well on a mac mini. It's a mid 2011 i5 mini so I assume it has the horsepower to cope, but both VLC and MplayerX are having problems with playback.
MplayerX isn't playing at the right framerate and causes the sound to get ahead, VLC plays back very choppily.

I'm trying with test clips from here, specifically that first Indy GP clip. Are there any other recommended multi-format media players? I don't know if there's an equivalent of Media Player Classic + codec pack from the windows world but I have zero understanding how codecs are handled on OS X.

edit - Grabbed Movist from the App Store - plays these clips back perfectly :)

andyf fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 22, 2012

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
It is possible to install Windows 7 onto a macbook air from an SD card? I have a big SD card, but boot camp assistant is insisting I use a usb drive, which I don't have.

Google has not helped, other than to imply that I might be out of luck :/

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

What's the best option for a Twitter client these days? I was using an old version of TweetDeck, apparently, and now it's awful.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

explosivo posted:

What's the best option for a Twitter client these days? I was using an old version of TweetDeck, apparently, and now it's awful.

Twitterific is pretty good, and I have also heard good things about Hibari.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
I rather like Echofon, but that's largely for the unread tweet synchronization between my computer and phone. It doesn't do the whole multi-pane thing of TweetDeck, which I thought was sometimes handy, though.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Twitteriffic looks great, thanks for the suggestions!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Kaluza-Klein posted:

It is possible to install Windows 7 onto a macbook air from an SD card? I have a big SD card, but boot camp assistant is insisting I use a usb drive, which I don't have.

It will be way too slow, sorry dude. Either invest in an external USB or Thunderbolt HDD.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

Kaluza-Klein posted:

Buy an 8gig USB stick for $10 and use that. MS has a tool for windows that will take a win 7 Iso or cd and turn it into a bootable USB stick.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Brock Landers posted:

Buy an 8gig USB stick for $10 and use that. MS has a tool for windows that will take a win 7 Iso or cd and turn it into a bootable USB stick.

Does that tool work on a Mac? I was looking around the web and couldn't find it.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

FlashBangBob posted:

Does that tool work on a Mac? I was looking around the web and couldn't find it.

The MS tool doesn't work, but the Boot Camp Assistant for Macs without an optical drive will make one for you and add the drivers too.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

You Am I posted:

It will be way too slow, sorry dude. Either invest in an external USB or Thunderbolt HDD.

Sorry to confuse, I don't want Win7 installed on an SD card, I want to use it as the installation media.

I ended up having boot camp assistant write the win7 install iso to an external usb hdd. Good bye, osx.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
New iTunes security questions:

Just shut down post-Jobs Apple. Just shut it down.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
So all the computers at my work are iMac G5's running 10.4 at the speed of sprinting through molasses. Everyone complains all the time and I figure 10.5 should run faster and generally be better. I can't for the life of me figure out how to buy 10.5 from the Apple store and I'm under the vague impression that Apple doesn't give a poo poo about these old releases. They barely even care about Snow Leopard and Lion piracy; I think they're happy just to have people using their OS and therefore dumping dollars into their app store. I am not trying to get all :filez: up in here because I'm not talking about pirating software. I literally CAN'T pay Apple any dollars for 10.5. Of course, if I am skirting the line, please let me know and I will just edit out this post.

That said, is 10.5 basically free at this point? Can I just find an iso somewhere and just upgrade all these Tandy 5000 motherfuckers from stone age to bronze?

Edit: By the way, I am teaching at a private high school here so, if it isn't free, is there an educational version I can get at a discount or anything?

mellowjournalism fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Apr 23, 2012

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

marmot25 posted:

While you're at it, shut down the Apple discussion forums.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

yellowjournalism posted:

So all the computers at my work are iMac G5's running 10.4 at the speed of sprinting through molasses.
I don't know what the official word on this is but I suggest you call 1-800-MY-APPLE and ask them if there's anywhere you can officially get Leopard. Alternatively, find a killer app your work needs that only runs on Intel machines to persuade them to upgrade, because drat.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Education, dude. If it's some computer lab at a high school they're probably not about to drop on a set of new iMacs.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
I have no experience at all but I heard single-G5 computers run better with 10.4 than 10.5.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I am pretty anti-10.5 but G5s ought to be fine, it's G4s that really trend to struggle with it especially if they have low spec CPUs or minimal amounts of RAM.

AFAIK the guy is going to have to pirate it if he wants it though. 10.5 is expensive enough on eBay without having to get multiple copies of it.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

KingEup posted:

The Diablo 3 thread indicates there is still a crippling mac specific bug.

From my experience, it helps to reduce shadows to Low and all the sound settings to their Minimum. It still takes a little while, but it eventually smooths out pretty well.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
The little lady and I played through the whole thing over the weekend and never encountered that issue; we have desktop machines though so I'm wondering if it is something to do with laptop-class hard disks or perhaps GPUs with too little VRAM.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

marmot25 posted:

Maybe my sarcasm detector is off this morning, but why are security questions a problem? Fill them out, put them in your password locker (KeePass, 1Password, etc); Problem Solved.

People like to make things out to be more difficult and dramatic than they really need to be.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I'm guessing he's angry that they're not very good.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
One of the problems with security questions is that they can sometimes decrease the security of someone's account. If you pick a poor question and answer it honestly, in many cases the answers to these questions are easily guessed by doing a little research about the person.

Most security professionals suggest you give random answers to these questions, but as we all know, most people aren't going to do this.

What these companies need to do is INCREASE THE LENGTH of people's passwords by encouraging people to use pass "phrases" not pass "words".

Length is the most important thing you can do to make your passwords more secure, it's better than adding numbers or symbols or anything of the other junk people think makes passwords more secure.

https://www.grc.com/haystack.htm for more info on the password length thing.

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

I (and so many of you as well) never been kissed so that automatically drops out one of those questions and decreases the search space for cracking my account. Thanks for the constant reminder of my crushing loneliness, Apple.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
Yeah, it's not that I'm against security questions in general, but those are some of the worst I have seen. If I answer them truthfully and specifically (beyond, say, 'city name' for places) they become answers I'm not going to reliably reproduce. My bank asks for the last name of my second grade teacher--a decent question as these things go--as it likely has only one format of answer (barring misspellings). I also spent several minutes reflecting on my life while trying to figure out my absolute favorite/least favorite teacher. If I can't come up with a simple answer in-the-moment, how am I going to do so a year from now?

Since I have to keep the results in 1password anyway, I just made up random strings.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I think they're so obscure because they're not likely to overlap with other site's security questions, or be something you could easily data mine from social networking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

unruly posted:

Maybe my sarcasm detector is off this morning, but why are security questions a problem? Fill them out, put them in your password locker (KeePass, 1Password, etc); Problem Solved.

People like to make things out to be more difficult and dramatic than they really need to be.
Security questions are stupid.