Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slothmeister
May 25, 2011
Hey guys,

I've had enough of my crumpled backpack, I'm finding its just not big enough.

Can anyone recommend a rucksack under £100 that can carry the following whilst looking quite nice (not a fan of the stylings of lowepro bags)

Nikon d7000
70-200 f2.8
17-50mm f2.8
10-20mm
Flash gun
assorted filters and adapters
Batteries and blower
Memory cards
Torch
Tripod holder

Most important thing is space to put lunch or a lightweight coat in as well, this is the main reason for my wanting to swap.

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
I've just discovered this and I think it might be my next travel bag:

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/03/27/trekpak-camera-bag-insert-adjusts-with-pins-rather-than-velcro/

It looks fantastic, because seriously, gently caress velcro.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Shmoogy posted:

I've just discovered this and I think it might be my next travel bag:

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/03/27/trekpak-camera-bag-insert-adjusts-with-pins-rather-than-velcro/

It looks fantastic, because seriously, gently caress velcro.

It looks nice but I'd also imagine those pins are fairly easy to lose.

MAkev
Dec 15, 2003

Killed my sensei in a duel and I'll never say why.

DJExile posted:

It looks nice but I'd also imagine those pins are fairly easy to lose.

Hopefully it'll come with a sack of extras

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
For those of you who have been pick-pocketed and had your camera/equipment stolen out of your camera bag; Qas there any specific design in the bag that made it easy for theft that made you regret buying the bag in hindsight? A friend of mine got her camera body stolen from her in Vietnam last week, I'm planning on going to New York in the summer and possibly China so I'm just a wee bit paranoid of that happening to me. I currently have a Lowepro Versapack http://www.lowepro.com/versapack To me it seems quite unlikely for someone to get in there without me noticing, does anyone think otherwise?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

neckbeard posted:

For those of you who have been pick-pocketed and had your camera/equipment stolen out of your camera bag; Qas there any specific design in the bag that made it easy for theft that made you regret buying the bag in hindsight? A friend of mine got her camera body stolen from her in Vietnam last week, I'm planning on going to New York in the summer and possibly China so I'm just a wee bit paranoid of that happening to me. I currently have a Lowepro Versapack http://www.lowepro.com/versapack To me it seems quite unlikely for someone to get in there without me noticing, does anyone think otherwise?

I'd imagine having a bag with a flap like most messenger-style shoulder bags could be very easily burglarized if you didn't keep it closed through a clasp or even some velcro. Same thing applies to a camera bag as it would anything else while you're traveling. Pay attention to your surroundings, don't leave bags unattended, etc.

That bag specifically, I don't think you'd have many problems.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
If a pickpocket wants your stuff, and they're good enough, they'll get it no matter what you do. All I can offer for advice is to have a way to back up your photos while on the road because camera gear can be replaced, but moments and memories can't.

Maverique
Apr 25, 2010
What's your take on the Black Rapid straps? I'm getting a new camera and will ditch Canon's default strap as soon as possible and I was considering one for comfort, but I've seen a lot of peeps complaining about its price. Is it strong? Reliable? Too pricey?

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
Yes on all three. But I've got one anyways, in spite of the last point.

Maverique
Apr 25, 2010
Would you feel safe with it at all times? I like my upstraps (I admit, I got them recommended by K Rock, cue the sniggering) because they're strong as hell, but they keep folding up and they rough up my shirts a bit.

e: what I mean is, if some rear end in a top hat tried to grab the camera and run, as in to break the strap, he can't with the upstraps. At least that's how they make me feel ;)

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
I don't think I've ever worried about someone snatching my camera. Either way, there aren't any sort of easy or breakable releases on BR, so the only way they'd get it off you is to slash at it with a big knife or tackle you to the ground and wrestle the strap off of you.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Maverique posted:

Would you feel safe with it at all times? I like my upstraps (I admit, I got them recommended by K Rock, cue the sniggering) because they're strong as hell, but they keep folding up and they rough up my shirts a bit.

e: what I mean is, if some rear end in a top hat tried to grab the camera and run, as in to break the strap, he can't with the upstraps. At least that's how they make me feel ;)

If you're that paranoid about it, get a Sun Sniper strap. They have a steel cable in them and come with a theft warranty.

Maverique
Apr 25, 2010

William T. Hornaday posted:

I don't think I've ever worried about someone snatching my camera. Either way, there aren't any sort of easy or breakable releases on BR, so the only way they'd get it off you is to slash at it with a big knife or tackle you to the ground and wrestle the strap off of you.

Good enough for me. Thanks, I'll get one and see how it goes.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I recently out grew my big SERIOUS ART bag and was planning to buy a Domke, but came across some reviews for Safrotto bags. Apparently it's a chinese company that bought the riginal Domke designs when the company went bankrupt. I read that it's build quality is better than the new ones that Tiffen makes, so I found one on ebay. The only thing I'm unhappy about the color, wish you could get one in dark gray or green. It comfortably carries my medium format cameras and accessories. The end pockets are perfect for my film wallets or you could like store booze or something in there. The included shoulder pad is poo poo, I would encourage anyone that carries heavy cameras in an over the shoulder bag to get a Domke postal service pad, your neck will thank me.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

8th-samurai posted:

Okay, I already have a Domke, but I really want those film pouches :swoon: where did you get them? Are they actually shotgun shell pouches?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

MrBlandAverage posted:

Okay, I already have a Domke, but I really want those film pouches :swoon: where did you get them? Are they actually shotgun shell pouches?

Yup, they are these with the elastic loops cut out. http://www.amazon.com/Voodoo-Tactical-MOLLE-Compatible-Shotgun/dp/B0027QSPAM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1334680782&sr=8-2

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 17, 2012

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

8th-samurai posted:

What kind of hack doesn't even carry around spare CF cards?

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

ButtMonkey posted:

What kind of hack doesn't even carry around spare CF cards?

What do you expect him to do with CF cards with those cameras?

Menorah on Fire
Aug 20, 2006
Trap sprung.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

sensy v2.0 posted:

Where else is he going to store the scans of his pictures :ohdear:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

sensy v2.0 posted:

:ughh:

That's seriously a drat nice bag full of cameras though.

EDIT: My lord, wait, you thought I was being serious?

SoundMonkey fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 18, 2012

dexy
Mar 23, 2006
Has anyone else seen this?
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/trekpak/trekpak
They already made their goal on kickstarter, but I'm debating throwing some money at them just to get a set asap.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Oh and I was tired when I wrote that, forgot to include the price. That bag cost me $79. Which is waaaaay cheaper than an F1x.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Think Tank Photo added a new bag to their Retrospective series - the Retrospective 7. They've also added a new color (Blue Slate) to all the bags in the Retrospective series that I think looks pretty sweet.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/retrospective-7-blueslate.aspx

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Think Tank Photo added a new bag to their Retrospective series - the Retrospective 7. They've also added a new color (Blue Slate) to all the bags in the Retrospective series that I think looks pretty sweet.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/retrospective-7-blueslate.aspx

If I am reading the specs right the Retrospective 7 is literally a Retrospective 10 with an inch chopped off the height :psyduck:

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
So I've kinda skimmed over all the talk about the Black Rapid straps in this thread over the last year or too thinking that I understood how it worked and it seemed stupid, but on bird walk yesterday I started complaining about carrying a 100-400mm mounted on a 50D with the factory strap for 5 hours (along with binoculars) and a woman nearby showed me her Black Rapid. In person it was obvious that it was exactly what I was looking for so now I'm in the market.

Is it worth looking at any of the third party clones? $50 for the RS-4 is pretty pricey but if it's the difference between having my camera and lens drop on rocks I'm guessing I should bite the bullet.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

BeastOfExmoor posted:

So I've kinda skimmed over all the talk about the Black Rapid straps in this thread over the last year or too thinking that I understood how it worked and it seemed stupid, but on bird walk yesterday I started complaining about carrying a 100-400mm mounted on a 50D with the factory strap for 5 hours (along with binoculars) and a woman nearby showed me her Black Rapid. In person it was obvious that it was exactly what I was looking for so now I'm in the market.

Is it worth looking at any of the third party clones? $50 for the RS-4 is pretty pricey but if it's the difference between having my camera and lens drop on rocks I'm guessing I should bite the bullet.

Personally I thought the Black Rapid strap was too bulky and giving up the tripod screw was a pain in the rear end sometimes.

I made my own using an old laptop bag strap and clip, then went down to an outfitter store (Mountain Equipment Co-Op in Canada - REI if you're in the States) and got some climbing cord and various fittings to make it all work.

Tied the cord through the stock strap loops, put a strong split ring through that, clipped the strap to the ring. It slides just like the Black Rapid strap design, it's easy to clip and unclip, my tripod screw is always available, and the cord + ring doesn't get in the way of holding my camera in portrait.

Seems plenty strong, I've been carrying a 1D + 70-300mm on it for years.

Edit:

Rot fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 20, 2012

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Blackrapids are worth every cent. Their earlier hardware had some bugs, but they've done a very good job refining it.

Though for your setup you would be much better served putting the collar on the lens and attaching the strap to that.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

kefkafloyd posted:

Blackrapids are worth every cent. Their earlier hardware had some bugs, but they've done a very good job refining it.

Don't get me wrong, the BR strap is a really great product and an awesome idea. I just found the strap to be too bulky (as in the padding on the strap itself). I thought it was uncomfortable around my neck and it was a pain when folding up into a bag.

kefkafloyd posted:

Though for your setup you would be much better served putting the collar on the lens and attaching the strap to that.

Unfortunately Canon wants something ridiculous for the tripod ring (like $180 - $200 CDN) so I don't have one yet. And that wouldn't solve my issues when using other lenses.

Anyways, I'm not trying to discourage anyone from trying out the BR. Quite the opposite, actually. The core idea is awesome and absolutely worth a try.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
You can get cheap tripod rings on eBay.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

HPL posted:

You can get cheap tripod rings on eBay.

Yeah, my buddy bought one of the knockoff rings and used it for years without an issue.

quote:

Don't get me wrong, the BR strap is a really great product and an awesome idea. I just found the strap to be too bulky (as in the padding on the strap itself). I thought it was uncomfortable around my neck and it was a pain when folding up into a bag.

The RS Sport strap might be more up your alley then. I like the RS-5 because I can carry a gripped a700 with 70-400 G all day long and not get tired. It also holds memory cards, cellphone, etc. and if that equipment is all I need that day I can realistically leave the bag at home. THe RS5 isn't for everyone but if you like a skinnier strap the Sport ones seem to be a good fit.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

MrBlandAverage posted:

If I am reading the specs right the Retrospective 7 is literally a Retrospective 10 with an inch chopped off the height :psyduck:

:eng101: It's also a few inches wider to fit an iPad in the back pocket (which the 10 couldn't do)

I love my 10 to death, but it is a pain to fit a tablet into.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Kazy posted:

:eng101: It's also a few inches wider to fit an iPad in the back pocket (which the 10 couldn't do)

I love my 10 to death, but it is a pain to fit a tablet into.

I always preferred putting my iPad in th front pocket of the R10.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Well, I decided I couldn't stomach the $60 for a basic Black Rapid and took the road less traveled and bought Carry Speed CS-1. Initial impressions are good. It included three features that the black rapid didn't which persuaded me in addition to the price: A strap that bridges the sling and goes under your arm pit to keep it in place, an extra strap that can be attached to the normal strap ring on your camera for extra protection in case the tripod adaptor mount ever came off, and a mount that can be attached to a tripod plate. Feels extremely solid so far and is definitely much more comfortable than a neck strap, especially when carrying my binoculars. I'm about to go on a two week vacation that will include Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, and Zion National Parks so it will get a good workout.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
You had enough coin for a two week vacation but couldn't afford a nice strap?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Actually that Carry Speed mounting plate looks worlds better than the FastenR. When I shoot with a grip my hand can't hold the body in portrait style very easily with the FastenR in the way.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Anyone have a backpacking solution to taking gear? I probably wont have space for much other than a single body, one lens, and my x100. Its a 3-4 day trip. The x100 could live around my neck and I might end up wrapping my d700 and lens in a towel and storing it in my backpack.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Musket posted:

Anyone have a backpacking solution to taking gear? I probably wont have space for much other than a single body, one lens, and my x100. Its a 3-4 day trip. The x100 could live around my neck and I might end up wrapping my d700 and lens in a towel and storing it in my backpack.

I wouldn't really concern yourself too much. It's not like your backpack takes much impact while you're in the backcountry. Just throw it in and use whatever extra soft stuff, clothes or your sleeping bag to wrap it up.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

HPL posted:

You had enough coin for a two week vacation but couldn't afford a nice strap?

Different pools of money. I don't get to take my camera gear money out of my wife and my vacation fund, which is probably for the best. Whether it's a good strap or not will remain to be seen, but as I mentioned, my first impression are that it is just as good as the Black Rapid with a few extra features for a lower price.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For backpacking, you might also pick up a camera holster of some kind and strap that to your pack or harness somewhere if you want to be able to get at it easier.

• Locked thread