Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Turns out even in a small town, it's still a good idea to get there early for the super hip releases. Missed out on Feistodon and Cursive, but managed to grab the Tomahawk box and St. Vincent single, which is all I really wanted anyway. :)

Now if you'll excuse me, I have listening to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moechae
Apr 11, 2007

lolwhat

Pookdaddy G posted:

Isn't that for the UK only?

I just ordered it, and I'm in the US. It went through just fine & I got a confirmation email for it. So, I assume it's worldwide?

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
There's like 10K copies of the Flips release. That's really all I wanted.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

No DFA1979 at my store but managed to get it online (using the trick above by adding another item -- what a dumb loving website). Picked up a former RSD release, Blood Sugar from RHCP (#639 out of 5170 I read) and just got the White Stripes single. No refused or 311 at my store, ah well. Seems this year, at least for me, there wasn't anything that was must have like last years Tron discs.

It was funny seeing a whole crate of that Disturbed disco, people even yelled out sarcastically, "Anyone want these?". I was half tempted to get that Beatles set but not for $60 just because LIMITED EDITION.

EDIT: These two White Stripes songs are awesome! :D

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 21, 2012

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Despite my store's line lottery (abandoned after two sets of people were let in and those of us in the front started to get pissed) and the two item initial limit, I managed to get the important wants (Metallica & Devo) and two of my lessers (The Cult 7", Stadium Arcadium reissue).

There several reasons why I don't support my local store and instead buy online either through Amazon or the label itself.

One of those reasons is Record Store Day.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.
Alright, so there are two versions of the Flaming Lips album. One has a Doctor Who sample on "2012" and one has Henry Rollins recreating said sample. You can only tell which one you have by checking the matrix codes (it mentions Doctor Who on the ones that do) and the Rollins one is rarer.

I've got two copies of the Rollins version and would really like to get one with the sample. I'd be willing to buy/trade for one if anyone has it. Thanks.

thebigpicture
Nov 14, 2007

Surfingelectrode posted:

Alright, so there are two versions of the Flaming Lips album. One has a Doctor Who sample on "2012" and one has Henry Rollins recreating said sample. You can only tell which one you have by checking the matrix codes (it mentions Doctor Who on the ones that do) and the Rollins one is rarer.

I've got two copies of the Rollins version and would really like to get one with the sample. I'd be willing to buy/trade for one if anyone has it. Thanks.

So the matrix on the 1st LP side A says something in addition to "YOU AND ME WE KNOW THAT LOVE IS TRUE 1202X39-D1-S1-M2-RC1 A+R DALLAS SPGII" ?

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

thebigpicture posted:

So the matrix on the 1st LP side A says something in addition to "YOU AND ME WE KNOW THAT LOVE IS TRUE 1202X39-D1-S1-M2-RC1 A+R DALLAS SPGII" ?

As far as I know it says:

"YOU AND ME WE KNOW THAT LOVE IS TRUE 1202X39-D1-S1-M1-RC1 A+R DALLAS SPGII YOU MUST BE UPGRADED. THANK YOU DOCTOR WHO!!!"

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
I spent more than I was planning, but this day is only once a year so.

Got:
Refused LP
JEFF the Brotherhood Live at United
Sigur Ros LP
LCD Soundsystem Losing my Edge 12 inch single
White Stripes 7 inch single
DFA 1979 online order

thebigpicture
Nov 14, 2007

Surfingelectrode posted:

As far as I know it says:

"YOU AND ME WE KNOW THAT LOVE IS TRUE 1202X39-D1-S1-M1-RC1 A+R DALLAS SPGII YOU MUST BE UPGRADED. THANK YOU DOCTOR WHO!!!"

Interesting. Apparently I have the Rollins version then.

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
Sweet haul today...

These plus DFA1979 and Flaming Lips online ordered.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

Harry Privates posted:

I spent more than I was planning, but this day is only once a year so.

Got:
Sigur Ros LP

Crazy, I was told it was cancelled at one store and didn't see it at the 2 others I checked.

Got 6 of 8 releases I wanted (I wasn't getting my hopes up on the Gorillaz release) and a some other random stuff.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

People who bought DFA1979 online, did you receive an order confirmation? I received a paypal notification that the payment went through but nothing from Kill The 8 so I'm a bit weary.

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
I got a confirmation from them in seconds. Which was odd considering it took a loving month for the page to load.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Yeah, mine came right away as well.

Ps. That St. Vincent 7" loving rules.

Faxbart
Sep 13, 2005

Leave 4514 disabled. It's a stupid warning anyway.
Boo! The Nightwish release was supposed to have Marco Hietala on vocals, not Anette. Plus the download site listed on the packaging isn't working: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/trialsofimaginaerum

My wallet is paining, but I was able to pick up a copy of DFA1979. There were copies in stores across Toronto. Got the Alexisonfire too, and the cover is giving me flash backs to high school math class.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Well I did well for myself. Only thing I wasn't able to get was the LCD Soundsystem, but from what I heard from the employees at the two places I went they both got shafted on copies. Oh well.

Managed to get:

T. Rex 7" set
2 copies of the Xiu Xiu/Dirty Beaches (2nd was for my friend that couldn't make it out)
The Numero Group comp
ESG split 7"
Lee Hazelwood 12'

Also when I went to the second store was looking around and found cheap copies of:

Esg S/T
Deerhoof Milk Man banana colored vinyl

Then I got home and saw there was 58 new posts in this thread and read about the weirdness you all had with the site, remembered I forgot to check the site a second time when I was standing in line (first time the page wouldn't load on my phone) and then checked to see if they had copies left. They did. Got one with no trouble and didn't need to do any weird cart tricks to get it to work. WINNING.

Blendy fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 21, 2012

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Here's what I got:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I got:

Miles Davis: Forever Miles
Jamiroquai: rock duet light star
Flogging Molly: Drunken Lullabys
The Clash: London Calling
plus a whole slew of CDs
And I also grabbed Beastie Boys: Paul's Boutique 7" collection (#221 of 1000)

I didn't even see a bunch of the things I wanted, though I didn't actually see the list of records until I got home, which is unfortunate since there was a few things I would have at least asked about. (I probably should have hit up another store, too.)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If I was selling a bunch of LP's, what would be a good estimated shipping price (including the cost of mailers/boxes)? Does $3 for the first disc and $1.50 for each additional sound about right? I'm trying to find a general price that will make it so I don't make a BS profit on shipping, but I don't want to get boned either.

Also, where in the loving world can I buy record mailers outside of the internet? There has to be some store that sells them in bulk, but I can't find them anywhere.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I had a great record store day. This came in the mail:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I was up at 9 at the Bull Moose in Brunswick, ME. There was a bit of a line already there- mostly old dudes and some dads with kids. Managed to snag everything I wanted that they had available and was able to earn up and cash in some old Bull Moose points:

The 'Hand Springs/Red Death' single has "Red Death Amplifiers=Walkie Talkies" etched into the B-side.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA (apologies to everyone who couldn't get one)

They only had one copy here and I literally had to grab it before like 3 other dudes started asking the clerks about it.

I got the ugliest pair of Heady Fwends and that makes me special.
...seriously, though. They're like "Brussels Sprout" and "Poop Sewage Butt" colored, respectively.

Does everyone have the same etchings? I got:
-so girl you and me can watch each other pee-
-i'll ask the insect oh does he feel pain when he dies-
-you always want to shave my balls-
-you and me we know that love is true-
(I guess this means I got the Henry Rollins version?)

Yeah, that's "El Camino" behind there. It's totes okay though, and not at all indicative of being a consumer whore, because I didn't have it before.

And free poo poo:

I got a lot more free poo poo that I didn't photograph: Some nifty Black Keys, Sleigh Bells, Shins, and Danger Mouse posters; a Flogging Molly shot glass; some assorted promo CDs not worth describing; a surprisingly elaborate and high quality LP tote (with a separate pocket for your 7"s); some stickers; a space helmet keychain; some old promo materials for 'Fallout 3' (what?); and a 7" of K'naan covering Bob Dylan that I probably won't ever listen to.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Did anyone get the Botch Anthology of Dead Ends reissue? It was the only Record Store Day release I was remotely interested in, but I guess it was pretty limited.

I tried to stay away from my record store today, I really did, but I caved. Got what I believe is a first press of Brainwreck by Ramming Speed and a pretty sweet Heiress t-shirt, so that's pretty cool.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

cheapandugly posted:

I got a confirmation from them in seconds. Which was odd considering it took a loving month for the page to load.

drat, It's sold out now so I hope it wen through. I sent an email to the store for confirmation.

llibja
Sep 13, 2007

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Did anyone get the Botch Anthology of Dead Ends reissue? It was the only Record Store Day release I was remotely interested in, but I guess it was pretty limited.

I got the only copy my store had, I think 750 were pressed.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
My buddy and I's haul from today:

Not pictured is our copies of DFA. Kind of all over the place but I'm pretty stoked. The worst part is that until we go home tomorrow, we're stuck in an apartment with no way for us to listen to any of this poo poo :v:

Superchunk
Dec 27, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

I tried to stay away from my record store today, I really did, but I caved. Got what I believe is a first press of Brainwreck by Ramming Speed and a pretty sweet Heiress t-shirt, so that's pretty cool.

My store got two or three copies for some reason. I know some kid bought one when I was in earlier, might still have the others.

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer
I managed to get the white stripes, beach house, and flips/mastodon 7in, as well as the gorillaz and childish gambino records. I avoided all the news about record store day because the tiny shop by my house never has more than a line of 5 or so people waiting and I like being surprised. I had no idea this Gorillaz record was so limited, but I'd probably have traded it for a copy of heady fwends, which my store didn't get unfortunately. Overall though I was very pleased with my haul this year.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Wait, is it still :filez: if the artist himself tweets an official picture which contains download codes for the exclusive bonus tracks of a new album?

Crimson Sox
Jan 16, 2008

Bromance

FWIW, you can order this @ Hydra Head Shop

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Blendy posted:

Managed to get:

T. Rex 7" set
2 copies of the Xiu Xiu/Dirty Beaches (2nd was for my friend that couldn't make it out)
The Numero Group comp
ESG split 7"
Lee Hazelwood 12'

What's on the T-Rex 7" set?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I was not expecting to see a line of 70 people in front of a record store in Huntsville, Alabama a few minutes before they opened. I turned around and walked away.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools

NESguerilla posted:

If I was selling a bunch of LP's, what would be a good estimated shipping price (including the cost of mailers/boxes)? Does $3 for the first disc and $1.50 for each additional sound about right? I'm trying to find a general price that will make it so I don't make a BS profit on shipping, but I don't want to get boned either.

Also, where in the loving world can I buy record mailers outside of the internet? There has to be some store that sells them in bulk, but I can't find them anywhere.

If you're buying mailers, then $4 is reasonable for a single LP since $0.45 is about the cheapest you can get them wholesale. If you have some lying around, then $3.50. I would do no more than $1 for additional records, $0.50 minimum. A well-packaged record is typically going to be between 1 and 2 pounds, putting the average actual postage at around $3. $2.65 is for 1 pound of Media Mail, I believe $3.08 is for 2, and it creeps up incrementally from there depending on weight. (These are prices for postage paid online, post office prices will be slightly higher). Media is flat rate to anywhere in the US, Priority will depend on zip code and also increases in price by the pound. Always spring for Delivery Confirmation.

As far as getting mailers, check with your local record stores. They might have some lying around, and if they don't then they may be willing to sell you a few if they ship records often and buy mailers in bulk. If you have to buy them online, buy them from ValueMailers (but from their eBay store, which is cheaper than their actual website; eBay id is threeb or something like that), they usually have the best prices and their shipping is so quick that if there isn't much difference between them and the cheapest and I'm needing mailers quick, I'll go with them anyway. Don't waste money buying cardboard pads; get some large cardboard boxes, a record you don't care about to trace around and a boxcutter and you're all set to make your own.

I always take the record out of the sleeve and place it behind the sleeve in an LP bag, put cardboard squares on both sides and tape them snug at the middle of the sides and bottom. From there you just want to make sure the mailer is snug around the contents to prevent things sliding around, and writing "fragile" on the package never hurts either.

I do this poo poo for a living, hopefully my soul-sucking experience in the world of record store employeedom is beneficial to somebody.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

CPL593H posted:

What's on the T-Rex 7" set?

It's Electric Warrior on 6 7"s plus "Raw Ramp" as a bonus b-side.

http://www.vvinyl.com/v/t-rex-electric-warrior-7-inch-vinyl-box/2266

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

cosmicjim posted:

I was not expecting to see a line of 70 people in front of a record store in Huntsville, Alabama a few minutes before they opened. I turned around and walked away.

Curiosity got the better of me because I was seeing a movie next door to where RSD was happening in my area. They had plenty of stuff and this was at 4:30, it looked like a full assortment. I even asked about the Gorillaz thing and they told me they ordered more because customer asked about it after they sold out. I get the feeling it's not as limited as everyone thinks.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

Curiosity got the better of me because I was seeing a movie next door to where RSD was happening in my area. They had plenty of stuff and this was at 4:30, it looked like a full assortment. I even asked about the Gorillaz thing and they told me they ordered more because customer asked about it after they sold out. I get the feeling it's not as limited as everyone thinks.

Nope. I'm pretty sure it isn't. Went to 3 stories, each with 3 copies. On a single block.

They did this last year too with The Fall and, even though it's about the music, that poo poo bothers me.

Don't say it's going to be extremely limited just to rile people up if you never had the intention of making it as limited as you said you would. It's lovely.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Nope. I'm pretty sure it isn't. Went to 3 stories, each with 3 copies. On a single block.

They did this last year too with The Fall and, even though it's about the music, that poo poo bothers me.

Don't say it's going to be extremely limited just to rile people up if you never had the intention of making it as limited as you said you would. It's lovely.

I'm pretty sure that's what the deal was with the Flaming Lips Dark Side of the Moon LP a couple years back as well. I think you can actually still buy that.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

I'm pretty sure that's what the deal was with the Flaming Lips Dark Side of the Moon LP a couple years back as well. I think you can actually still buy that.

Great business. lovely ethics.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Crimson Sox posted:

FWIW, you can order this @ Hydra Head Shop

Oh word, good to know, thanks. Hydra Head are brutal when it comes to shipping costs, but we'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I had my daughter's gymnastics thing this morning and then the woman had to shoot the iFest, so my early morning RSD adventure was decidedly shot down. I absolutely regret not having the opportunity to pick up that sexy Burst and Bloom release, and the Mastodon/Feist thing would have been fun. Never the less, I did end up dragging everyone over to a new store in the Heights and picking up two things that had gently caress all to do with RSD.

That Ride album is loving awesome, and Mrs. Hatelull loves that Erasure album so there you have it.

They actually had the T-Rex thing, and maybe a few other of the 45 releases which I only mention because they're a new store and they didn't expect to get anything. Still, I wasn't very interested in the T-Rex and kids were tired and weren't into me meticulously picking through the racks.