Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."

s0meb0dy0 posted:

Where is this? I've never seen a view quite like this.

From my hosting:

This one is from back when I went to Yosemite. You're seeing half-dome from the Upper Falls Trail. I'm not sure about my post processing, it just doesn't seem to speak to me, any ideas on how I could have made it better?

This could definitely use some contrast adjustments, but the trees also seem a little soft. Long exposure and wind?

DSC_5305-Edit.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

DSC_5220-Edit.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

This is a favourite nearby trail. I've been taking alternate shots of this for well over a year now, but still not satisfied. I think I'll try this composition in the AM soon as I think the foreground is decent.

DSC_5298.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

scottch posted:

DSC_5305-Edit.jpg by scottch, on Flickr
Nice. And good control over tones.

macx
Feb 3, 2005

s0meb0dy0 posted:

Where is this? I've never seen a view quite like this.

From my hosting:

This one is from back when I went to Yosemite. You're seeing half-dome from the Upper Falls Trail. I'm not sure about my post processing, it just doesn't seem to speak to me, any ideas on how I could have made it better?
I kind of think it would be better as a b/w. Maybe an infrared film simulation? The dull color doesn't do much for me but the contrast definitely could.

When you are doing that, I would add a slight highlight to half-dome, and pull back just slightly in the canyon and skies as if a sun beam were being cast on the rock face.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
The 5D2 I bought in December rolled over 10000 frames shot last month. I literally have a hundred gigs of these washed out landscapes. :coal:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

You need to organize those and submit for a show through a local gallery or organization. They're cohesive, well done, and interesting.

s0meb0dy0
Feb 27, 2004

The death of a child is always a tragedy, but let's put this in perspective, shall we? I mean they WERE palestinian.

macx posted:

I kind of think it would be better as a b/w. Maybe an infrared film simulation? The dull color doesn't do much for me but the contrast definitely could.

When you are doing that, I would add a slight highlight to half-dome, and pull back just slightly in the canyon and skies as if a sun beam were being cast on the rock face.
I'll give it a shot and come back with the results.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Woke up hella early yesterday due to jet lag making me sleepy at 7PM the night before. Decided to drive down to Fire Island and try my hand at some beach sunrise shots.

horseshoe by gtrwndr87, on Flickr

sunrise fire island by gtrwndr87, on Flickr

sunrise by gtrwndr87, on Flickr

I wish there was more foreground interest. Though I surfed around on google maps and found some jetties further up, may try and shoot some sunsets tonight.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

You need to organize those and submit for a show through a local gallery or organization. They're cohesive, well done, and interesting.

Ambihelical Hexnut is deployed right now, so there might not be too many local galleries available :v:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

that explains how he gets the aerials

Well, keep it in mind.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Hills by HezzyUK, on Flickr

Can't wait to get back there with my DSLR

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
Been on holiday up north.

P1090077.jpg by fuglsnef, on Flickr

P1090168.jpg by fuglsnef, on Flickr

97/366 - Valley by fuglsnef, on Flickr

P1090431.jpg by fuglsnef, on Flickr

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Kujaroth posted:

Golden Rays by Aztatlan, on Flickr

Cathedral Rock by Aztatlan, on Flickr

Bombo by Aztatlan, on Flickr

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

The 5D2 I bought in December rolled over 10000 frames shot last month. I literally have a hundred gigs of these washed out landscapes. :coal:

These are all amazingly awesome.

Crazy Armed Pilot
Mar 6, 2007
You can land anywhere once.

Ambihelical Hexnut, I am stunned by your Flicker stream! Most of those are very striking and I agree you should organize them in some way when you get home. For the airborne images, what are you shooting out of and how do you get them to turn out so clear? I fly a Piper Supercub, and have not been able to get crisp images like that to date.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Tried again with the long exposure beach shots yesterday and searched Google maps' satellite feature for areas on the beach with rock jetties. Found one in Westhampton Beach and headed out expecting a sunset, but it was overcast. Oh well. Still got to get some practice with my new Vari ND.

spill by gtrwndr87, on Flickr

clash by gtrwndr87, on Flickr

sea mist by gtrwndr87, on Flickr

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Thanks! I've been trying, but time constraints here are pretty rude and I usually only have time to do a 900 pixel quick-process on what I shoot, which means anything I want to print later I have to go back months after the fact and re-do it at full resolution. Not a big deal, it's just a huge photo catalog and it's a time sink I haven't been able to get into what with working 16 hours a day.

HookShot posted:

These are all amazingly awesome.

:woot:

Crazy Armed Pilot posted:

Ambihelical Hexnut, I am stunned by your Flicker stream! Most of those are very striking and I agree you should organize them in some way when you get home. For the airborne images, what are you shooting out of and how do you get them to turn out so clear? I fly a Piper Supercub, and have not been able to get crisp images like that to date.

Thanks. The biggest obstacles I've found are
1) Haze/smoke
2) Reflections
3) Vibrations (more of a helicopter issue than a plane one)

The haze really compresses the tonal range available to the camera when I shoot. I use curves to bring the contrast back to normal ranges so the picture looks closer to how I actually saw it, and this often causes a little detail loss as the highs look really high and the lows look really low.
Fighting window reflections is terrible. I have to be very cognizant of every white piece of kneeboard paper and the position of the sun relative to the window I'm shooting through. A lens hood pressed up against the window helps, but plexiglass is still not optically great. Window reflections also steal control of my autofocus point pretty often, and it's necessary to focus at infinity and leave it there for more shots.
Vibes mean if I'm shooting with my 135mm, even 1/500th of a second will be easily blurred.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
More photo vomit from this morning:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
^^ The second one from that set is I think my personal favourite of all the ones you've posted.

Koln at Night by hookshot88, on Flickr

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Going through old pictures. These were all taken with my iPhone 4S since I didn't have a real camera with me at the time but Arizona is gorgeous:

Somewhere between Sierra Vista and Bisbee, AZ by dtloken, on Flickr

Untitled by dtloken, on Flickr

^ wish I could've got a better angle on that but it was at a high way rest stop. The lighting was completely surreal, honestly the picture doesn't do it justice. One of the most gorgeous sights I've seen in my entire life. To the left of the frame there was a rainbow as well:

Untitled by dtloken, on Flickr

I wish I could stitch together all the pictures I took of it and get a somewhat decent panorama.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 20, 2012

Crazy Armed Pilot
Mar 6, 2007

More photo vomit from this morning:

I really like the second two here. Could you post the before/after shots to show what your are able to pull out of the haze? My pictures don't seem to have the pop that yours have. I am still trying to learn what I can do in PS and developing a work flow (been at this for less than a month).

Keep up the good work, and stay safe!

s0meb0dy0
Feb 27, 2004

The death of a child is always a tragedy, but let's put this in perspective, shall we? I mean they WERE palestinian.

I really like the second two here. Could you post the before/after shots to show what your are able to pull out of the haze? My pictures don't seem to have the pop that yours have. I am still trying to learn what I can do in PS and developing a work flow (been at this for less than a month).

Keep up the good work, and stay safe!
If you can get your hands on it, get Lightroom. It makes workflow a breeze and can do 95% of what photoshop can do.

Crazy Armed Pilot
Mar 6, 2007

s0meb0dy0 posted:

If you can get your hands on it, get Lightroom. It makes workflow a breeze and can do 95% of what photoshop can do.

I have played with Lightroom several times, but the inability to use it on a network is a deal killer. I have three computers that I use in different locations (five if you count laptops) and everything is stored on the network. At this point, I am unable to tie my work down to one machine :(

Until Adobe decides they are going to help us network dependent people out, I am stuck with Lightrooms retarded brother, Bridge.

Edit to add some content:

Shot this a few days ago as we had some showers rolling through in the evening. The field is not that intresting, but the clouds caught my attention. What could I do to improve this? (Or have done at the time to frame it differently, etc.)

Crazy Armed Pilot fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 21, 2012

s0meb0dy0
Feb 27, 2004

I have played with Lightroom several times, but the inability to use it on a network is a deal killer. I have three computers that I use in different locations (five if you count laptops) and everything is stored on the network. At this point, I am unable to tie my work down to one machine :(

Until Adobe decides they are going to help us network dependent people out, I am stuck with Lightrooms retarded brother, Bridge.
drat. I was just wondering this morning if I could sync libraries across computers, but that'd have to be done nightly probably and has obvious limitations.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Shot this a few days ago as we had some showers rolling through in the evening. The field is not that intresting, but the clouds caught my attention. What could I do to improve this? (Or have done at the time to frame it differently, etc.)

Actually, I think everything about that is great. The field and the water in front of it are interesting; I wouldn't change a thing.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

s0meb0dy0 posted:

drat. I was just wondering this morning if I could sync libraries across computers, but that'd have to be done nightly probably and has obvious limitations.
If you create a symbolic link to a mounted network drive, you can use it in lightroom.

SnowWolf
Nov 20, 2005
I'm going on a trip to a bunch of national parks in Colorado and the Southwest, which is cool in itself, but I'm excited that even though I won't be doing any camping, I should be far enough from light pollution to really get a good look at the stars. Is there a novice-friendly resource to tell when and where the Milky Way arms can be photographed?

Something like this:

It would be very helpful to know, for instance, if in June the arms are not visible in the US because I'm in the wrong hemisphere.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Could you post the before/after shots to show what your are able to pull out of the haze?

Here is an extreme example from a frame taken at the same time as those above. This was in heavy haze and mist, about 2SM visibility. The haze (along with reflections on a dirty plexiglass window) acts to greatly reduce the contrast, so it must be recovered in post to look like what your eye/brain perceive since they kind of look "through" the mist.

Curves can restore the contrast and (if used carefully) maintain the colors as they should be, bringing the overall image back to what I actually saw. And as you can see in the images above, the haze is still a visible element of the picture, it's just not overpowering the foreground contrast anymore.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ambihelical Hexnut fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Apr 22, 2012

Crazy Armed Pilot
Mar 6, 2007

Reichstag posted:

If that road is not busy, I think this would make a GREAT shot at night.

Here is an extreme example from a frame taken at the same time as those above. This was in heavy haze and mist, about 2SM visibility. The haze (along with reflections on a dirty plexiglass window) acts to greatly reduce the contrast, so it must be recovered in post to look like what your eye/brain perceive since they kind of look "through" the mist.

Curves can restore the contrast and (if used carefully) maintain the colors as they should be, bringing the overall image back to what I actually saw. And as you can see in the images above, the haze is still a visible element of the picture, it's just not overpowering the foreground contrast anymore.

:aaa: That's amazing... There is hope for some of my pictures after all!

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
The most important part is to take a well exposed picture of something interesting in good light, if you did that part then your post production is easy, even if it might be extensive. :)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

SnowWolf posted:

I'm going on a trip to a bunch of national parks in Colorado and the Southwest, which is cool in itself, but I'm excited that even though I won't be doing any camping, I should be far enough from light pollution to really get a good look at the stars. Is there a novice-friendly resource to tell when and where the Milky Way arms can be photographed?

It would be very helpful to know, for instance, if in June the arms are not visible in the US because I'm in the wrong hemisphere.

Portions of the milky way are visible all year long. The galactic core is best visible in the summer months for the northern hemisphere. Dick around with this for a while:

http://www.skyviewcafe.com/skyview.php

It lets you set coordinates and zoom to any day you want to see what will be in the sky. I don't know what your travel plans are, but Utah is amazing for night photography. Natural Bridges is considered one of the darkest places in the US. I made a stop there back in November and it was pretty spooky.. I'd never before felt so alone.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

_MG_1707 by spf3million, on Flickr

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.
Went back to Pyramid Lake to go camping and meteor watching. I was disappointed by the meteors (or lack of them I should say) but got some pretty decent sunset shots. Using my awesome new Marumi Super DHG CPL.

Pyramid Lake Sunset by sulakkalus, on Flickr

Pyramid Lake at Sunset by sulakkalus, on Flickr

Drewski fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Apr 24, 2012

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Five seconds before super mega jungle rain:

45 minutes after super mega jungle rain:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Paris la Nuit by hookshot88, on Flickr

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Finally getting around to some decent landscapes weather here in the Washington, although I had to travel to get this one.

Botanical Beach by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Finally getting around to some decent landscapes weather here in the Washington, although I had to travel to get this one.

Botanical Beach by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Was the tide far enough out to see the tide pools?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Dread Head posted:

Was the tide far enough out to see the tide pools?

Sadly, it was only out far enough to see a few of the ones farthest up, not the better ones further out that I saw the last time I was there. Still a nice place and all but deserted this time of year.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
drat sky gettin' hell of raunchy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jm3000
Jan 19, 2004

Pancake Dance Party
Nap Ghost
Finally getting back in to shooting again, two from two completely different locations:

DSC_0003.jpg by johnm3000, on Flickr

Cholla Cactus at Dawn by johnm3000, on Flickr