Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
http://www.petrescue.com.au/view/147160

Hey goons,

The above kitty has 3 legs, are there any health issues he will face later in life if I was to adopt him? Would he be able to wrestle with my grown cat during the power struggle that will happen when he arrives in the house? I don't want him to get ripped apart because of the 3 legged thing.

Thanks goons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

EvilElmo posted:

Hey goons,

The above kitty has 3 legs, are there any health issues he will face later in life if I was to adopt him? Would he be able to wrestle with my grown cat during the power struggle that will happen when he arrives in the house? I don't want him to get ripped apart because of the 3 legged thing.

Thanks goons!

Harper's profile text posted:

Harper is a talkative, gentle, affectionate cuddler.

Harper is great with kids of all ages and adores playing with the other kittens.

Holy gently caress how are you not filing papers for him already?

I wouldn't be too worried about him holding his own against your other cat, considering most major kitty scuffles, if serious, are ground 'n pound anyway and his front legs are fine for striking and control. Also, you'd be surprised at how tripods can still get around, though you'd need to see how he jumps up on stuff, or if he'd need a ramp or something to get on top of your sofa or something. I think medium height stuff should be fine; when animals only use one leg in the front or back, they tend to get pretty good at it, particularly if they grow up that way.

Other than that, I'd check on are whether his normal leg would be prone to injury/wear and tear, but that's sort of the territory anyway.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

duckfarts posted:

Holy gently caress how are you not filing papers for him already?

I wouldn't be too worried about him holding his own against your other cat, considering most major kitty scuffles, if serious, are ground 'n pound anyway and his front legs are fine for striking and control. Also, you'd be surprised at how tripods can still get around, though you'd need to see how he jumps up on stuff, or if he'd need a ramp or something to get on top of your sofa or something. I think medium height stuff should be fine; when animals only use one leg in the front or back, they tend to get pretty good at it, particularly if they grow up that way.

Other than that, I'd check on are whether his normal leg would be prone to injury/wear and tear, but that's sort of the territory anyway.

Getting approval from Real Estate agent for cats first (already got one without approval, so need to sort that out).

Then, I am seriously considering him. He isn't as cute as some of the others available, but I have a soft spot for this little guy. I did a google search and it seems 3 legged cats are more likely to get arthritis early because more pressure on the other joints.

Aug 14, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Age; 7
Sex; female
How long have you had your cat? 7 years
Is your cat spayed or neutered? No
What food do you use? Whiskas dry
When was your last vet visit? 3 months ago
Is your cat indoors, outdoors, both? Strictly indoors
How many pets in your household? One dog (chihuahua) one cat

Probably the most asked question but since my vet brought it up I figured I'd ask here too.

Darla is a strictly indoor (hasn't even tried to get outside in 5+ years) female cat who I haven't spayed since the vet told me non-spayed female cats that have frequent vet visits (I take her in 3-4 times a year because I'm of means + completely paranoid about her health despite her having never had a single health problem ever) have longer life spans. I've googled it and get contradictory reports of it.

I don't give two shits about what's best for the animal population of the world, I only care about what's best for Darla herself. Both local vets have told me as long as I continue to be as vigilant about bringing her in to check for tumors by abdominal ultrasounds that I shouldn't get her spayed. What do you guys think?

Duckie
Sep 12, 2010

This is sewious!

EvilElmo posted:

Hey goons,

Thanks goons!

That kitty is ADORABLE! Depending on how small he is and how large your other cat is, you may want to keep him in your room until he grows up. When I got my kitten, he was TINY(and tailess :3:), and our grown cat was around 16 lbs. We kept him up in my room and bathroom for about a month before we decided he could play with the big cat. He prob would have been fine, but him being so small I didn't want the large cat to kick him wrong or anything. So if you had doubts you could keep them separated until he's larger or you are home and can watch over him.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

EvilElmo posted:

Hey goons,

Thanks goons!

We just adopted a tripod kitten a few months ago and we haven't had any problems. Most of our cats ignore her, and our cat Alex is playing big brother :)

Just go through the normal introduction procedures, with supervised visits and you should be fine.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

EvilElmo posted:

He isn't as cute as some of the others available

Wrong.

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.

EvilElmo posted:

Hey goons,

Thanks goons!

Adopt this cat. Post many pictures.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
My guess is the new cat is experienced in 3 legged wrestling whereas your current cats will be baffled and the tripod will trounce ol four legs.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Hi PI. I recently adopted a second cat, a one year old male shorthair tabby. He's currently in the "getting used to the new environment" phase but I have a huge concern: he hasn't drunk any water in almost three days. He's eaten a tiny bit (Blue Buffalo Indoor formula) and will eat the treats I leave out for him but won't touch his water. I haven't physically seen him in a few days either but I know he comes out at night because he and my other cat will talk to each other through the door separating them. Any ideas on how to get this cat to drink some water? I currently have some stainless steel water bowls, should I go out and get one of those fountains?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Helushune posted:

Hi PI. I recently adopted a second cat, a one year old male shorthair tabby. He's currently in the "getting used to the new environment" phase but I have a huge concern: he hasn't drunk any water in almost three days. He's eaten a tiny bit (Blue Buffalo Indoor formula) and will eat the treats I leave out for him but won't touch his water. I haven't physically seen him in a few days either but I know he comes out at night because he and my other cat will talk to each other through the door separating them. Any ideas on how to get this cat to drink some water? I currently have some stainless steel water bowls, should I go out and get one of those fountains?
Feed him wet food maybe? Specifically that Fancy Feast crack mentioned earlier.

If he likes drinking from a tap left on, then definitely get a drinking fountain. Other than that, I know there was some advice about that earlier in thread about this.

Arkham Angel
Jan 31, 2012
We're thinking of getting a buddy for our dude within a few months, once our income streams level off. Any tips for adopting a cat to go with the current dude and introducing two cats in a smallish apartment? Will two cats be ok with one litterbox? Our only non-carpeted floors are bathroom and kitchen, there's already one in the bathroom and I am sure as gently caress not putting one in the kitchen.

Current cat-M/neutered/about 9 months old. Very playful, curious dude. He's a bit nippy but rarely does serious damage on purpose (all my serious scratches are from medicating him or him running me over while escaping from mean things like vacuums and hissing pans). Gorgeous spotted brown tabby coat. Picky eater with tummy problems.

Here's a picture. https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/582151_10101519783219129_8832871_67724500_1983444377_n.jpg

Should we go for a male, female, or does it not matter? Should we try to age match, or does that not matter either? Advice on the introductions? How long it would be til we could tell if they're compatible?

Edit: Forgot to mention but he was kept with his sis at the shelter, but she got adopted out before we got him. He was marked as being agreeable to the company of other animals.

Arkham Angel fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Apr 20, 2012

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
One week in with Lulu and... I think I'm allergic to cats :( I haven't lived with a cat in over four years, having been away at college. Whenever I went home, we only had one cat in a much larger space and I would still get sneezy. I always attributed it to her being older with a lot more dander.

Any advice? Fortunately this is why I'm fostering and I didn't adopt yet but I wish my eyes didn't water and I didn't start sneezing the moment I started petting Lulu.

I mean, look at this cat:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Zyrtec or something along those lines

Cruxxed Up
Mar 30, 2011

Now you've done it.
Is it really common for rescue cats to start revealing all sorts of surprises after being adopted? I've been dealing with Valentine's stuffy nose, an on and off thing since adopting him in February, and now it looks like he might have ringworm.
When I found the suspect area on his upper right hind leg near his butt, it looked more like a line and is sort of thick/scabby/crusty feeling. I thought at first it was an infected cut or scratch, possibly from his crawling around under a chair with exposed springs. But he does have some hair loss in that spot, although there are no other suspicious areas and Jasper seems fine so far.

Well, the ringworm might is more like "Yes" since the vet said so at the appointment this morning. She shone what I assume to be an ultraviolet light on the area and felt around a bit. She said there was some glowing, so it was probably ringworm.
Is that test usually accurate enough alone? Is there another test that should be done, or should my kitty be fine with that diagnosis for now and just take the prescribed antibiotics/meds for the next two weeks to see how things go?
Also, what should I/my mom keep an eye out for on ourselves? Is it super-likely we'll catch it, or should we just be extra vigilant about hand-washing and cleaning?

Valentine (white tinted) and Jasper, passed out after a night of wild partying:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Cruxxed Up posted:

Is it really common for rescue cats to start revealing all sorts of surprises after being adopted? I've been dealing with Valentine's stuffy nose, an on and off thing since adopting him in February, and now it looks like he might have ringworm.
Yes, worms and a cold in a rescue pet isn't uncommon at all. Quarantine your cat to a room, keep the room(and your place) clean, and make sure you follow through with whatever meds your vet gives you.

Quick googling found this page, which seems pretty useful/reasonable.

Edit: just noticed you have two cats. Get your other cat checked out too - you may need to quarantine both, or keep them separated.

duckfarts fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 20, 2012

Cruxxed Up
Mar 30, 2011

Now you've done it.

duckfarts posted:

Yes, worms and a cold in a rescue pet isn't uncommon at all. Quarantine your cat to a room, keep the room(and your place) clean, and make sure you follow through with whatever meds your vet gives you.

Quick googling found this page, which seems pretty useful/reasonable.

Edit: just noticed you have two cats. Get your other cat checked out too - you may need to quarantine both, or keep them separated.

That's a great site, thanks. Told me plenty, eesh. Going through a major house cleaning and prepping a quarantine room -this is going to really to be hard on the cats though, they absolutely love each other and hate being apart. But for the sake of the cure, they'll have to settle for yelling at each other through the door. :(

And I really hope Jasper comes out clean, there's only the one spare room.
Unless it's okay for two infected cats to share the same space? Sorry for sounding like an idiot, but I'm a little annoyed the vet didn't tell me anything beyond a "probably" diagnosis and giving me the meds before scurrying off.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
I usually feed my cat in the morning once-a-day. It's a 13 lbs. cat so it loves to eat. Lately, it's been getting all crazy and hyper about an hour before I normally wake up because it's probably hungry. Yesterday, it's been putting its paw on me and stuff so nothing too big but today, it gave me two swipes with claws out and one of them actually hurt.

Any suggestions? Should I switch its meal time to more afternoonish?

VoodooSchmoodoo
Sep 15, 2007

What's that there, then? Oh.

298298 posted:

I don't give two shits about what's best for the animal population of the world, I only care about what's best for Darla herself. Both local vets have told me as long as I continue to be as vigilant about bringing her in to check for tumors by abdominal ultrasounds that I shouldn't get her spayed. What do you guys think?

You should, because they're tied in with each other anyway. Even if you could handle surprise! kittens, she is also more likely to scrap when she's unspayed if she does get out, which leads to other things not good for her. Did your vets say you shouldn't get her spayed for some reason? As far as I know, it's a no brainer and she should have been spayed when she was younger to prevent mammary tumors in the first place. Seeing as you likely don't have a time machine, I'm not going to make too big a deal of it.

Even if she hasn't wanted to go out in 5 years, doesn't mean there couldn't be an escape somewhere in her future. It happens all the time, and out of the blue. You could have her for another 10+ years.

Here is some more info:
http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/cat-care/spay-neuter.aspx

http://www.cats.org.uk/uploads/documents/cat_care_leaflets/EG05-Neutering.pdf

edit: mixing ma thingybobs

VoodooSchmoodoo fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 21, 2012

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

How have you even endured 5 years of cat in heat without going insane? :psyduck:

Chicago Death Rate
Jul 23, 2001

by Ralp
So, Cat has been on the Blue Buffalo Wilderness Kitten for about a month now and holy poo poo his coat is so soft and shiny compared to when he was eating Meow Mix or some poo poo. He hardly farts anymore either. He's gained about 3lbs since I got him from behind the bar. Probably since he isn't eating cigarette butts anymore.

I got him treated for fleas when I first visited the vet on March 5th. And I just started seeing them pop up on him again two days ago. I was hoping my apartment was clean as I was vacuuming every day but I guess not. I'm sure if I got the same stuff from the vet it would be at a premium price. What flea medicine do you all recommend for a <8lb cat that I can pick up at Petsmart?

I've finally figured out what toys he loves to play with. And he LOVES to fetch. I got him because of his dog like qualities since I ordinarily hate cats (and still do). Take the feather toy off of its string and pole and chuck that bitch and he brings it right back and drops it on my stomach or at my feet for another throw. Love dis cat.

edit: I'm just doing a memory dump right now about poo poo I've noticed about him so sorry for all the questions and poo poo. This little dipshit is tearing up my blinds. He isn't even necessarily doing it on purpose just the constant moving inbetween them is snapping off the ends so that my window has an open "door" where he sits inbetween the blinds and window to look outside. I know if I put curtains up he will just rip the poo poo out. He loves trying to climb curtains and it's the one thing I just cannot stand. I throw him with reckless abandon. I can't really fix this issue just seeing if I'm not the only one.

Chicago Death Rate fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 21, 2012

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Sean_Miller posted:

So, Cat has been on the Blue Buffalo Wilderness Kitten for about a month now and holy poo poo his coat is so soft and shiny compared to when he was eating Meow Mix or some poo poo. He hardly farts anymore either. He's gained about 3lbs since I got him from behind the bar. Probably since he isn't eating cigarette butts anymore.

I got him treated for fleas when I first visited the vet on March 5th. And I just started seeing them pop up on him again two days ago. I was hoping my apartment was clean as I was vacuuming every day but I guess not. I'm sure if I got the same stuff from the vet it would be at a premium price. What flea medicine do you all recommend for a <8lb cat that I can pick up at Petsmart?

I've finally figured out what toys he loves to play with. And he LOVES to fetch. I got him because of his dog like qualities since I ordinarily hate cats (and still do). Take the feather toy off of its string and pole and chuck that bitch and he brings it right back and drops it on my stomach or at my feet for another throw. Love dis cat.

edit: I'm just doing a memory dump right now about poo poo I've noticed about him so sorry for all the questions and poo poo. This little dipshit is tearing up my blinds. He isn't even necessarily doing it on purpose just the constant moving inbetween them is snapping off the ends so that my window has an open "door" where he sits inbetween the blinds and window to look outside. I know if I put curtains up he will just rip the poo poo out. He loves trying to climb curtains and it's the one thing I just cannot stand. I throw him with reckless abandon. I can't really fix this issue just seeing if I'm not the only one.

Pull up the blinds enough that he can go under them instead of through.

Chicago Death Rate
Jul 23, 2001

by Ralp
That leaves me open for any perverts wanting to watch me drink Jameson and play BF3 naked though. I do usually keep my pistol close by. Decisions...

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I honestly ended up replacing my blinds with curtains. Then they can just slip past the curtain to their heart's content and I'm not on view for everyone walking by to see. Or pull up the blinds and have curtains behind it.

Lipumira
May 6, 2007

FIRE!
For those of you who have indoor cats that you don't treat for things like fleas, etc that indoor/outdoor cats are more likely to pick up - do you consider a 2nd or 3rd or rooftop (on top of a 3 story structure) "outside"?

I'm working on getting screen doors (ordered!) but I'd like to let them outside supervised safely and wonder if I need to do additional stuff to keep them healthy?

thanks

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Lipumira posted:

For those of you who have indoor cats that you don't treat for things like fleas, etc that indoor/outdoor cats are more likely to pick up - do you consider a 2nd or 3rd or rooftop (on top of a 3 story structure) "outside"?

I'm working on getting screen doors (ordered!) but I'd like to let them outside supervised safely and wonder if I need to do additional stuff to keep them healthy?

thanks
Use a harness.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:

Lipumira posted:

thanks

They will jump/fall off. Also, they still need heartworm protection.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

My newly adopted cat is sending me a ton of mixed signals and I have no idea what he's trying to say to me.

Sex: Male
How long have you had your cat? A little over a week
Is your cat spayed or neutered? Yes
What food do you use? Blue Buffalo Indoor Health
When was your last vet visit? He hasn't been to the vet yet under my ownership
Is your cat indoors, outdoors, both? Strictly indoors
How many pets in your household? Two, this is the new cat. The other cat is a 4 year old neutered male DSH.
How many litter boxes do you have? Two

He's still currently confined to his "safe room" since it's been a rocky road trying to get him to stop growling and hissing at my "existing cat" through the office door. When I enter the room he meows happily, tail goes straight up but is bristled and back is arched. He does the pace thing to make himself look bigger to me but demands to be pet. When I do pet him he'll growl at me or box my hand, bite, and then hiss. He then promptly drops to the floor and begins rolling around like he wants me to play with him but then continues to be aggressive towards me. When he bites me I say "ouch!" loudly and immediately leave the room which causes him to cry at the door for a good 20 - 30 minutes.
At first I thought it was because I smell like my current cat but today I entered the room after I got out of the shower and put on some clothes fresh from the dryer and had the same results. I've also tried washing my hands with rubbing alcohol after handling my current cat before going to see him in my office and he's still aggressive towards me. Am I just not being patient enough with him? I've had a few other cats go through this trial period but had to return them to their owners as they just flat out refused to get along with my poor 4 year old tabby (he is incredibly docile and accepting of other cats) but they were never aggressive towards me.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
What the hell. Lulu's "thrown up" twice when eating her food. I put it in quotes because I don't think she's actually sick. I think she actually eats her food too fast and can't handle the intake of food. I was just sitting here when all of the sudden I hear a "splat" and the food she'd been eating is now back in her bowl (and around it).

I only give her less than half a can of By Nature 95% meat. Should I give her less food, like 1/4 of a can?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Helushune posted:

Am I just not being patient enough with him? I've had a few other cats go through this trial period but had to return them to their owners as they just flat out refused to get along with my poor 4 year old tabby (he is incredibly docile and accepting of other cats) but they were never aggressive towards me.
Maybe he wants to play with you aggressively, which shouldn't be allowed. If he bites you, yelp and stop. Use some other toy to play with him, like a stuffed toy he can bite the poo poo out of, but don't give it to him immediately after he bites you(may associate as a reward maybe).

Doh004 posted:

What the hell. Lulu's "thrown up" twice when eating her food. I put it in quotes because I don't think she's actually sick. I think she actually eats her food too fast and can't handle the intake of food. I was just sitting here when all of the sudden I hear a "splat" and the food she'd been eating is now back in her bowl (and around it).

I only give her less than half a can of By Nature 95% meat. Should I give her less food, like 1/4 of a can?
1) give her only a little food(maybe 1/4 of her serving), wait 5 minutes, then give her the rest
2) check with a vet; could be a stomach bug

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

I have a cat pee question! I bet you can't wait to read it!

Short version: Unspayed female cat occasionally pees around the house. It does not appear to be spraying behavior; she picks soft flat surfaces and scratches like she wants to cover it. How likely is it that it's related to being unspayed?

Details: She's scheduled to be spayed at a low-cost clinic in three months, and it'll cost me $300+ more to get it done right now. She's indoor-only and I live in a high-rise so she can't get knocked up while I wait.

I have followed pee-fighting protocol: She's been checked out by a vet. She's young and healthy. I have multiple boxes and have tried a couple types of boxes/litter. I clean with nature's miracle, and tried feliway. I got her from a relative who was going to take her to the SPCA, so while this is apparently a new problem it could be stress.

Spend $300 to fight pee: y/n?

Lipumira
May 6, 2007

FIRE!

duckfarts posted:

Use a harness.

I cannot even imagine what they might do in a harness. If I put collars on them one of them goes completely still and the other takes one step forward and then 2 steps backwards trying to get away from it. Point taken, however.

RheaConfused posted:

They will jump/fall off. Also, they still need heartworm protection.

Really? I'll have to check with the vet - they are due soon for their 1 year checkup. When I was in with them last and asking about shots, etc, I was told that they didn't need this sort of stuff if they were strictly indoor.

And, okay, no outside on the decks for kitties. Thanks for the thoughts!

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:

Lipumira posted:

I cannot even imagine what they might do in a harness. If I put collars on them one of them goes completely still and the other takes one step forward and then 2 steps backwards trying to get away from it. Point taken, however.

Really? I'll have to check with the vet - they are due soon for their 1 year checkup. When I was in with them last and asking about shots, etc, I was told that they didn't need this sort of stuff if they were strictly indoor.

And, okay, no outside on the decks for kitties. Thanks for the thoughts!

They need heartworm protection if they are going to be anywhere that mosquitos will have access to them.

edit: to clarify, if you were going to be letting them on the deck, then yes they would need it.

RheaConfused fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Apr 23, 2012

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

duckfarts posted:

Maybe he wants to play with you aggressively, which shouldn't be allowed. If he bites you, yelp and stop. Use some other toy to play with him, like a stuffed toy he can bite the poo poo out of, but don't give it to him immediately after he bites you(may associate as a reward maybe).

I wish is was simply that but it's full on aggression; swatting, hissing, biting, agressive stances. And then not more than a few seconds later he's rubbing against me purring wanting to be pet. In fact, he managed to swat me so hard today it drew blood and his previous owner had him front declawed. It seems like some kind of past trauma or behavior issue and it's really a shame because he's going to be the fourth candidate I've gone through trying to find a companion for my current cat.

Edit:
I finally let the new cat out of my office to check out the rest of my condo with my 4 year old cat distracted and away in my bedroom. It seems that he's fine with me until I enter my office (his "safe room"), then he starts growling at me and becomes super aggressive towards me so I guess he sees me as an intruder on "his" territory? Is there any way to curb that? I would really like to be able to use my office again.

Helushune fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 23, 2012

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

We have decided to take the plunge and invest in a Furminator. Amazon has them for pretty cheap. The only thing is, we're not sure what size to get. Leo is pretty big, about 10 pounds, but CJ is a fair bit smaller, maybe 7 pounds. It seems like this is the one we should get? http://www.amazon.com/FURminator-Long-Hair-deShedding-Large/dp/B0040QS3PO

Here's Leo on a 15.4" laptop

And here's CJ with a box of Samoas

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 23, 2012

Raisin
Feb 10, 2004

My roommate's cat, clever little rear end in a top hat that he is, has learned to remove my cat's collar. I'll put it on him and within about four hours it's off again. I use a breakaway collar because Gideon had a bad experience with an elastic collar getting caught in his mouth once. He's got two different ones and Zeus can remove both. Is there a particular brand that might be harder for Zeus to get off? I tugged on the clasp on several at the store last time but the one I ended up with still isn't staying on. Failing that, is there a way to get Zeus to stop? It's not like he removes the collar while I watch. The cats have the run of our small apartment during the day while I am at work and my roommate is at school. I am worried that if maintenance ever had to come in during the day and Gideon got out, it would be during the time that he is least likely to be wearing his collar.

If it makes a difference, they are both neutered males and strictly indoor cats.

Zinc Teeth
Jul 11, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

We have decided to take the plunge and invest in a Furminator.

Really the only difference between the "small" and the "large" is the width of the thing-- I'd say you'd probably want the small for that size cat, but definitely the long hair version. It's not a huge difference either way, though.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Josh Lyman posted:

We have decided to take the plunge and invest in a Furminator. Amazon has them for pretty cheap. The only thing is, we're not sure what size to get. Leo is pretty big, about 10 pounds, but CJ is a fair bit smaller, maybe 7 pounds. It seems like this is the one we should get? http://www.amazon.com/FURminator-Long-Hair-deShedding-Large/dp/B0040QS3PO

Here's Leo on a 15.4" laptop

And here's CJ with a box of Samoas

FYI: You can get the same type of brush for like 10-15; the only thing a Furminator really adds that the clones don't have is the pushbutton hair release, which can be pretty useful actually(so you can dump the hair with one hand without pausing to remove hair from the comb).

Nonedit: just saw your link is for a $25 one, which isn't bad

VoodooSchmoodoo
Sep 15, 2007

What's that there, then? Oh.

Helushune posted:

He's still currently confined to his "safe room" since it's been a rocky road trying to get him to stop growling and hissing at my "existing cat" through the office door. When I enter the room he meows happily, tail goes straight up but is bristled and back is arched. He does the pace thing to make himself look bigger to me but demands to be pet. When I do pet him he'll growl at me or box my hand, bite, and then hiss. He then promptly drops to the floor and begins rolling around like he wants me to play with him but then continues to be aggressive towards me. When he bites me I say "ouch!" loudly and immediately leave the room which causes him to cry at the door for a good 20 - 30 minutes.
At first I thought it was because I smell like my current cat but today I entered the room after I got out of the shower and put on some clothes fresh from the dryer and had the same results. I've also tried washing my hands with rubbing alcohol after handling my current cat before going to see him in my office and he's still aggressive towards me. Am I just not being patient enough with him? I've had a few other cats go through this trial period but had to return them to their owners as they just flat out refused to get along with my poor 4 year old tabby (he is incredibly docile and accepting of other cats) but they were never aggressive towards me.

Seeing as you've gone through a few kitties now, I wonder if it's something to do with your body language. You don't only need to pay attention to how to introduce your existing puss to him, but also how to introduce yourself to him.

You've only had him a short time - I've had cats take MONTHS to feel comfortable around me.

You need to be relaxed and not push yourself on him too much. Some cats have a tendency to go with 'You are making everything a big deal, therefore I will too'. I wouldn't bother with the 'ouch', because in my experience cats do not give a poo poo about it. Just slowly withdraw when you know he's not going to pursue you. You could have a look at cat fights on youtube or something to figure out escalating behaviour when cats are about to throw down. You need to back off really slowly if he's truly being aggressive and afraid and not just playing.

You can also distract him with things that aren't your hand. Has he got fun toys he can play with on his own? Dangly things that don't involve your fingers in his face?

If the worst comes to the worst and you do need to hand him back, I recommend you get an older cat (4+) from a shelter that you know has a track record of being happy with other cats. LOTS of cats love the company of other cats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I'm looking at getting a pair of cats in a few months. I'm moving to Wichita in the middle of May and am thinking about getting a pair from one of the local shelters once I get moved in and settled.

Any additional advice not listed in FAQ?

I'm wanting to toilet train the cats, screw having to do more than flush :D, how hard is it once they're already litter trained? Is it as simple as the sales videos make it appear to be?