Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Great thread!

Do you feel you are still improving your game or have you reached a ceiling where it would take a more serious approach to get noticeably better?

You explained why you don't want to go full-time hustling, but you didn't explain why you don't want to become an "ordinary" pro player (if such a thing even exists, maybe I got it all wrong). So, why not? How does it even work, I guess you join a team, get sponsors, play tournaments..? Can you make a living playing pool if you don't hustle?

And why not make a video for us? You could play a buddy and comment on your shots. That would be neat. :) Just point the camera at the table, no need to show faces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
What do you think is the most money you've ever made on a single game of pool? Is there a good story behind it? What about the most you've ever lost? And your over-all proudest moment in your pool-playing history, what would you say that is?

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

jase1 posted:

There is a reason this strange guy is trying to gamble with you on pool.

Exactly. I guess it works better in bars and places with drinks because stupidity and drinking go hand-in-hand.

A big part of this must be the 'hustle' itself, convincing your target that you're just a guy looking for a game and why not make it a little interesting?

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Flankensttein: A name given to a FPS gamer who constantly flanks to get kills.

"So I was playing COD yesterday, and some flankenstein came up from behind and shot me."

Doctor Malaver posted:

Great thread!

Do you feel you are still improving your game or have you reached a ceiling where it would take a more serious approach to get noticeably better?

You explained why you don't want to go full-time hustling, but you didn't explain why you don't want to become an "ordinary" pro player (if such a thing even exists, maybe I got it all wrong). So, why not? How does it even work, I guess you join a team, get sponsors, play tournaments..? Can you make a living playing pool if you don't hustle?

And why not make a video for us? You could play a buddy and comment on your shots. That would be neat. :) Just point the camera at the table, no need to show faces.

I feel like I am always improving my game. Where I am at skill wise the only thing I practice regularly is making really difficult shots with english on them and putting the cueball in the place I want it. Last Friday night I had a couple of tough shots where I had to go 3 rails to hit my ball and I missed a couple of them. So the past few days I have been setting up that exact shot and putting different types of english on it to watch the path of the ball and learning what I can do to make that shot easier. If I wanted to drastically improve my game to the pro level I would not have a life. I would have to quit my job and shoot pool for 10 hours a day and that is just something I have no interest in doing.

In order to become a pro you have to play in these open type pool tournaments. Players get grades like an A or a B. You win those and then just keep moving on to the next step until you win and decide to go pro or you get invites into big time professional tourneys. I could walk into a bar and probably beat %80 of the people in there. A pro can walk into any bar in the state and beat %100 percent of the people. I have played a couple of pros in practice games or just sitting around drinking and shooting and they always just destroy me. Pool is their life they live, eat, breath pool. I enjoy doing other things, especially gambling on other things if I was to get serious I would have to give up a lot including a really good job that most likely the owner will be selling to me in 10 to 15 years. I love hustling and will do it until I can't shoot pool anymore but at the same time I want to own a successful company and it's been one of my long time goals in life.

As far as making a video I will see if I have a friend that could help me with that. I am not really computer savy and I don't own a camera except the one on my phone. I would have no clue how to put on here or on youtube. I will talk to a couple of friends and see if they can help me with that and maybe I could post something.

Arrhythmia posted:

What do you think is the most money you've ever made on a single game of pool? Is there a good story behind it? What about the most you've ever lost? And your over-all proudest moment in your pool-playing history, what would you say that is?

I talked earlier in the thread about the most money I ever won in a match was 10k and that was a race to 10 for 10k. No interesting story there that I remember.

If we are talking about the most I ever lost in just one game of pool then it would be for 2k. It was at this tourney called the Derby City Classic. Lots of gambling and I went with my Uncles and a few guys from the area mostly to watch some big money matches. I can't remember the exact timeframe but I was 24 or 25 at the time and it was the year I made the most money off of gambling in my life. I won a nice poker tourney in vegas for 6k and I was killing it at the sports book too. My confidence was sky high and while we were at the hotel bar this guy was bragging to these women that he was the best player in the bar. I watched him shoot a couple of money matches earlier and felt like I could beat him. I approached him the bar about shooting for money and he said I didn't have enough. I asked him how much would be enough and he said he wanted to shoot for 2k a game. At the time I only had about 5k on me so that was a really big portion of my bankroll but as I said my confidence was sky high and of course with my ego I couldn't resist. I told him I would shoot him just 1 game for 2k only if I could break and he agreed. I broke and hit 3 balls in and played a beautiful safe to leave his cueball on the rail behind the 8 ball. He had to hit 3 rails just to make a good hit and not only did he make a good hit he made the ball. He ran out and I lost 2k just like that. My ego did me in once again.

My proudest moment as a pool player was beating and surpassing my Uncle Mike as a pool player. My family has a really weird way of showing support especially my Uncle Mike. As long as I can remember he has been pushing me to be a better pool player. I remember one time I was 19 and I beat this older guy for a couple hundred bucks. I was really proud of myself and when I went over to him to talk about it he basically just told me the whole time how I played horribly and didn't deserve to win. I remember being pissed and saying to myself one day I will be able to kick his rear end in pool and I'm gonna rub it in. So a few years later it's Christmas and we are shooting pool at my Uncle Franks house in the basement. Mike starts talking poo poo about how I will never be as good as him and I just couldn't take it anymore so I challenged him. He makes the rules and if he wants lets gamble for it. We decide not to gamble but we played a race to 5. I beat him 5-3 and it was the first time I beat him straight up without any weight in my favor. I was in shock that I beat him and he was really pissed about to. After that he hasn't beat me straight up yet. I always have to give him weight and he hates that. That to me is my favorite accomplishment he is considered an amazing pool player and to be able to be considered better then him is a really big deal to me. I only wish I could shoot as good as my uncle frank but no matter what I do he just always kicks my rear end.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists

OxySnake posted:

Reminds me of a saying an old math teacher of mine told us after telling a story about him losing some money in game of darts when he was in college. "If someone comes and bets you they can do something, don't be an idiot. They aren't gonna be looking bets if they can't do it."

There's a great line from "Guys and Dolls":

"One of these days in your travels, a guy is going to come up to you and show you a nice brand-new deck of cards on which the seal is not yet broken, and this guy is going to offer to bet you that he can make the Jack of Spades jump out of the deck and squirt cider in your ear. But, son, do not bet this man, for as sure as you are standing there, you are going to end up with an earful of cider."

Meatloaf Baby
Jan 4, 2011

Great thread!

What's the longest amount of time you've ever gone without touching a cue? Do you ever just get sick of playing?

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Is the pool table itself ever in bad enough shape that it affects your game? What are the worst things you've seen done to tables (scuffed/scored surface, legs different lengths, noticeable tilt, etc)?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

TheRagamuffin posted:

Is the pool table itself ever in bad enough shape that it affects your game? What are the worst things you've seen done to tables (scuffed/scored surface, legs different lengths, noticeable tilt, etc)?

Also, could you describe what the perfect pool table would be like? I remember when my friend first got his pool table, he had to get the rails replaced because they weren't springy enough or too springy or something, and I can't recall noticing a difference between the old and the new table.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

To reply with what little I know to the two above posters.

In dive bars or whatever, plenty of tables with have a small amount of tilt, well certainly near me where I live in a very hilly area where most buildings were built at least 50 if not 100 or more years ago. Even with the best architectural techniques available then its hard to build something big on a slope and keep it exactly flat and level. Add in half a century of dirt compressing under the foundations and every building around here has a slope of some sort, however tiny, which makes a difference.

But by far the biggest thing I see is dead rails. A cushion that's been so pounded over the years it no longer retains that springiness that it should have. This means if you plan for the ball to bounce off it in way X, and its dead, unless you have experience with it, or a very good pool brain, it ain't gunna do what you expect it to. Your english will be less or more effective, your ball will bounce away harder or softer than you wanted or even worse, at an angle you didn't think was possible, because the rail cushion has been pounded in such a way at one point that its not actually straight, even if it looks it from the other side of the table.

Then of course you have poo poo like hosed up felt, but my game isn't at a level where differences in the speed of the felt make enough of a difference to my game, I imagine when you get to the upper levels though you need to take these things into consideration.

Cast_No_Shadow fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Apr 20, 2012

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
So putting spin on a ball is called 'english'. Is that local slang or is it a proper term used throughout the US? I wonder how the English call it.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
Earlier in the thread jase1 posted that he actually has an advantage on hosed up old bar tables because he has a better idea of how the ball will behave on dead rails and hosed up felt than his opponent does.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Doctor Malaver posted:

So putting spin on a ball is called 'english'. Is that local slang or is it a proper term used throughout the US? I wonder how the English call it.

It's a proper term used in pool throughout America. According to Wiki's glossary, "spin" is the less cool name non-Americans call it.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

BirdOfPlay posted:

It's a proper term used in pool throughout America. According to Wiki's glossary, "spin" is the less cool name non-Americans call it.
In snooker, you would say "topspin", "backspin", or just "side" (presumably short for "sidespin") depending on what you were making the cueball do.

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

"So I was playing COD yesterday, and some flankenstein came up from behind and shot me."

TheRagamuffin posted:

No matter what shape the table is in give me 5-10 minutes on it and I will figure out every little thing wrong with it and use it to my advantage against my opponent.

The worst table I have ever played on was in this little dive bar on the eastside of Cleveland where the felt had actual pieces missing and it was right by a broken down ice machine that had puddles of water touching exposed wires. No one seemed to care either I remember specifically keeping my cueball away from that side of table so I wouldn't get electrocuted. There are a lot of tables that have a drift on them and I love those tables, especially when my opponent doesn't know that it drifts.

Meatloaf Baby posted:

Great thread!

What's the longest amount of time you've ever gone without touching a cue? Do you ever just get sick of playing?

2 weeks was the longest and that was because I was on a cruise and didn't see a any tables at the islands we stopped at. There are sometimes I do just get bored and want to stop playing but when I wake up in the morning the way my place is setup I have to walk right past my table so I get the itch again. I guess you could say I am addicted to it.

Arrhythmia posted:

Also, could you describe what the perfect pool table would be like? I remember when my friend first got his pool table, he had to get the rails replaced because they weren't springy enough or too springy or something, and I can't recall noticing a difference between the old and the new table.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-ptHZaedvA

or this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9REPbjrrus

On a serious note I like shooting on a table that is worn in a little bit. I don't like brand new tables because the cue ball usually moves really fast and it can be hard to adjust. When the felt and rails are worn in for about 5 years its perfect.

Doctor Malaver posted:

I was trying to find the orgin of the term english in pool and this is all I could come up with. It was one of the first results on google when I asked the question. I don't know if this is true or not but it seems like it could be true.

"According to the Illustrated Encyclopedia of Billiards (one of the top authoritative sources in the industry), the origin of the the term english to refer to sidespin is unknown. Apparently the most common theory is that during the 1800s Englishmen either visiting or or who had emigrated to America, may have introduced sidespin and their nation of origin was applied to the technique."

TheChimney
Jan 31, 2005
I think earlier in the thread you said that you had a $1,200 cue. What makes it so expensive?

Jaweeeblop
Nov 12, 2004

Mostly craftsmanship and ornamentation. Inlays and intricate artwork drive the price of a cue up pretty fast.

Jaweeeblop fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 22, 2012

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

jase1 posted:

You could ask 100 pool players this same question about what type of english to put on the ball when breaking straight ahead and it would probably be 50/50. Some say bottom english is the safest way to play it some say top. When I break straight ahead I put top english on it and this is why. When the balls break the 8 usually stays relatively close to the break out area. If you put top english on it sometimes the cue ball will spin right into the 8 and make it in the back corner pocket. It does not happen a lot but it gets that 8ball moving on the break which is always a good thing.

I told a story about hustling this young kid named Tom DV earlier and he is now trying to get some of his friends to play me. He is convinced I am not that good and telling people he is going to hustle me. What he doesn't know is the people he is telling these things to are letting me in on everything. He doesn't seem to be smart. I ran into him last night and we decided to make a prop bet and I ran the oldest hustle in the book on him. The prop bet goes like this. He gets 4 chances to play me in pool anytime before the kickoff of the NFL this year which is in September. He can show up anywhere I am that has a pool table and challenge me and I have to play him. I get to break every time and as soon as it is his turn he can take 3 balls of his off the table. We are going to play a total of 4 games he only has to win 1. He chooses the time and place of the first 3 and if he doesn't beat me I choose the time and place of the last game. The hustle is basically this, by taking 3 balls of the table it opens it up for me and makes it easier to make my balls. He for some reason doesn't understand this but I am not complaining he seems to like losing money. The winner gets $500.

Beach Bum posted:

I remember this from Pool Hall Junkies and I can't help but :laugh:

I watched Poolhall Junkies over the weekend based solely because of this thread, and when reading the thread this morning to catch up I definitely knew what was going on.

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005
Really interesting thread. My apologies if this has been asked already, but have you ever met a woman that could beat you? Those women pros that they show shooting pool on ESPN sometimes, would they crush you or do you think you'd be able to handle them in a game?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Bug Bill Murray posted:

Really interesting thread. My apologies if this has been asked already, but have you ever met a woman that could beat you? Those women pros that they show shooting pool on ESPN sometimes, would they crush you or do you think you'd be able to handle them in a game?

Yes.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Bug Bill Murray posted:

There's no real strength advantage in pool (a little on the break, but that's it.) Women can be just as good as men in this sport.

It's traditionally a men's game, that's all. Not many women take up the game. Ergo there's a lot more top-level men.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
I watched Pool Hall Junkies for the first time because of this thread, it was pretty great. That movie gives great Walken.

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Awesome Animals posted:

I watched Poolhall Junkies over the weekend based solely because of this thread, and when reading the thread this morning to catch up I definitely knew what was going on.

If you want another movie with pool in it check out Shooting Gallery with Freddie Prinze jr. and Ving Rhames. It's a decent movie with bad acting but if you like pool hustling you will like the movie.

Bug Bill Murray posted:

Here is another woman beating me story.

There is a Woman that is in my state, her name is Shirley and she is this big fat lesbian and I have probably gambled with her 100 times and she has won at least 75 of them. I had to stop gambling with her because I was losing and she is just miles ahead of me in terms of skill. She would smoke at least a pack at the table and the table we played on always had ashes everywhere it was like shooting pool in room full of cancer. There were sometimes we would play games and she would give me weight like a 5-7 race. If I was lucky I would win 3 games at most. Usually only 1 game or she shut me out a lot and I mean a lot. She doesn't even think about her shots. She is a real fast shooter too she hardly ever stops and thinks about the shot she just does it and it's the right shot. It's really impressive yet at the same time really frustrating because I have to sit there and just watch her annihilate me hoping I get a chance at the table and then not loving it up because if I do she will run out.

The worst rated pro womens pool player would take every last penny in my pocket if I let them. I really don't think I would have a shot. I have never seen a woman pro at a pool hall but if I did I would watch every match she had. Watching a woman come into a pool hall that is usually dominated by men and then crushing everyone would be a amazing night.

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Just wanted to add a quick update about Tom DV the kid who I have a prop bet going with right now. He came into the bar I was at last night with a bunch of his friends and challenged me to the first game. I crushed him pretty quickly and a couple of his friends were busting his balls and he challenged me to the second game and I beat him again. I now only need to beat him 2 more games and he gets to pick the time and place of one and I get to pick the time and place of the last game. He was telling people at a poker game that he was trying to sell his xbox so he can get all the money together to gamble with me. He is really not very bright he practically knows he has lost already but he keeps coming back for more.

Format C
Jul 26, 2007

jase1 posted:

There is a Woman that is in my state, her name is Shirley and she is this big fat lesbian and I have probably gambled with her 100 times and she has won at least 75 of them... She doesn't even think about her shots. She is a real fast shooter too...

About this, I have always seemed better and more consistent when I simply eyeball my shots. If I try finding the exact point of the target ball I tend to miss more than I would if I had simply shot the cue ball without thinking about it; is this normal? Should I keep practicing precision or just go with what works?

Also, is there a trick to banking a target ball? It seems I always under/overshoot my angle and do not know how to properly aim a bank.

KillerBean
May 5, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

jase1 posted:

If we are talking about the most I ever lost in just one game of pool then it would be for 2k. It was at this tourney called the Derby City Classic. Lots of gambling and I went with my Uncles and a few guys from the area mostly to watch some big money matches. I can't remember the exact timeframe but I was 24 or 25 at the time and it was the year I made the most money off of gambling in my life. I won a nice poker tourney in vegas for 6k and I was killing it at the sports book too. My confidence was sky high and while we were at the hotel bar this guy was bragging to these women that he was the best player in the bar. I watched him shoot a couple of money matches earlier and felt like I could beat him. I approached him the bar about shooting for money and he said I didn't have enough. I asked him how much would be enough and he said he wanted to shoot for 2k a game. At the time I only had about 5k on me so that was a really big portion of my bankroll but as I said my confidence was sky high and of course with my ego I couldn't resist. I told him I would shoot him just 1 game for 2k only if I could break and he agreed. I broke and hit 3 balls in and played a beautiful safe to leave his cueball on the rail behind the 8 ball. He had to hit 3 rails just to make a good hit and not only did he make a good hit he made the ball. He ran out and I lost 2k just like that. My ego did me in once again.

I know I trolled you hard in the repo thread but I am honestly curious about what it feels like watching a dude run out when you know you're going to lose, what for most people is, a month's salary? Anger? Embarrassment? Respect?

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Format C posted:

About this, I have always seemed better and more consistent when I simply eyeball my shots. If I try finding the exact point of the target ball I tend to miss more than I would if I had simply shot the cue ball without thinking about it; is this normal? Should I keep practicing precision or just go with what works?

Also, is there a trick to banking a target ball? It seems I always under/overshoot my angle and do not know how to properly aim a bank.

If I have a really tough shot one of the things I do before I make my shot is aim at the object ball like I am just going to hit it in, I pick a spot on the ball that I want the cueball to hit which gives me the correct angle to make it. So I am literally taking my stick and aiming at the 8ball like I am going to hit in a pocket without hitting the cue first. This helps me see the angle better and it also will help you understand where the cueball needs to hit the object ball in order to make the shot. I know I am awful at explaining this stuff so if this doesn't make sense let me know.

There is a simple little trick on using the diamonds on a pool table to tell you how and where to bank the ball correctly. It's really hard for me to explain so here is a video of someone explaining way better then I ever could. The basics is you can use a diamond to bank a ball into a pocket and then if you need to bank it a little off the diamond you make an adjustment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGLCl7Z_p9g

KillerBean posted:

I know I trolled you hard in the repo thread but I am honestly curious about what it feels like watching a dude run out when you know you're going to lose, what for most people is, a month's salary? Anger? Embarrassment? Respect?

I don't remember your troll but who cares I hold no grudges.

This may come off as me being a dick or bragging but I don't know how to explain it any other way so apologies in advance.

Ever since I started gambling for money and I have had a full time job I have never had finance problems. I have made a lot of money in my life from the job I work and my small side company I run so I don't appreciate money as much as a person who struggles to make ends meet. I have lost so much money in my lifetime but I never lost enough to hurt me financially so really it's never been about money for me. I love money don't get me wrong but at the same time when I lost that 2k in that game money was never the issue. Am I angry when I lose, absolutely, but its not because I lost money it's because I beat myself or the guy got lucky or whatever. If I get hustled then that is when I get embarrassed, someone outsmarted me and I should know better but human emotions really throw things out of whack sometimes.

Watching someone run out on me especially if it means I am going to lose the match is one of the worse feelings you can have. I immediately sit there and think, what could I have done differently, why did I play this shot this way or this guy got lucky things of that nature. If someone is better then me I don't get to emotional I usually use that situation to motivate myself to beat this person. I get really mad at myself if I do something stupid or make a mistake which lets my opponent win. If someone is better then me I have respect for them, if someone is a drunk and losing money to me I still have respect for them. Respect is never really an issue unless I just dislike that person for whatever reason.

I play a lot of poker and I see a lot of people who lose a big pot and freak out and go crazy. I just have never done that if I lose a big pot in poker or whatever I just say welp lets try again or I'm done for the night. People have always asked me why are you so calm at the table how do you deal with huge swings and I tell I just don't care about the money. The thing with gambling all the time is it desensitizes you to money if I put up a grand for a a match I already look at it like that money is gone. If I start gambling and caring about the money that is on the line then I make bad decisions that will hurt me and potentially lose the match.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

You said you play at a variety of places, but when the choice is up to you and all other things are equal, how do you choose where you go to hustle? Are there certain tells for whether you're likely to earn better money at Random Bar A than Random Bar B? Quality of cars in the parking lot, external decor, etc. Do you let your bar preferences play into it, or can you enjoy yourself just as well in a dive bar as a martini bar, as long as you're playing pool and earning money?

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

the littlest prince posted:

You said you play at a variety of places, but when the choice is up to you and all other things are equal, how do you choose where you go to hustle? Are there certain tells for whether you're likely to earn better money at Random Bar A than Random Bar B? Quality of cars in the parking lot, external decor, etc. Do you let your bar preferences play into it, or can you enjoy yourself just as well in a dive bar as a martini bar, as long as you're playing pool and earning money?

Since I have been doing this since I was a kid I know a lot of owners of bars, bartenders, bouncers and strippers and they are always changing jobs. They give me info let me know what type of place it is, what type of crowd, the pool table setup, when is the best time for a lot of drunks, especially drunks with money.

There is this bar that I have been going to since I was 17 with a fake id. The same bartender since I was 17, he is an old grumpy gently caress now, but we are really close friends and he will look out for me when I am gambling there. We have had a deal for as long as I can remember. If there is anyone bragging about pool or gambling on a table he calls me up and if I can, I go there and gamble. Whatever I win he gets %25 if I lose he usually covers my drinks. It's a pretty awesome bar too its this old place in a really bad part of my area and they have free valet parking and park all the cars in this secure lot. Its all really an older business like crowd. Scotch is the popular choice of this place. I have taken money from a couple of college professors in the area, actually the guy who became Mayor of a little town use to go in there a lot. We would always shoot for $50 a game straight up. He would always lose but he was such a good guy. That was entertainment for the night for him though fine scotch, used to be cigars but now you can't smoke in bars, and a little gambling.

I basically have a couple of people like grumpy that I have similar deals with. I prefer an upscale place anytime. There is always lots of money is those rooms and your less likely to be shot. If I hustle someone there they usually buy me a drink and we shoot the poo poo. Some still get mad but its a totally different scene. I am going to a place now 3 or 4 times a month, bunch of business guys party at this place after work and they love to shoot pool. It's basically different people every time I am there so I have just been cleaning up. It will run dry eventually people will start to recognize me and I stop go somewhere else for 6 months or a year some places a few years.

Any place that I can win money is where I am happy shooting. I don't discriminate because in some of the worst bars in the world there is still alot of money to be made.

bratley
Mar 24, 2005
I didn't see this asked yet but I may have missed it. What do you think about those trick shot guys on TV? Some of the stuff they do is amazing. Are they just bored of playing normally? Would they beat your rear end or do any good in pro games?

RockNRoll Jesus
Jan 3, 2008

FIND YOUR GOD FUCKING FLASH DRIVE
This thread is awesome. I don't play as much now as I used to, I spent about two solid years playing four-five times per week against the same people. Never for money, just drinks. We all liked to drink as many beers as possible and never had much money so if you wanted to get drunk you had to win, and to win you had to get drunk. It's not complicated.

Nevertheless I got better but not a lot better, and I can play a mean game when I'm in the zone but otherwise I miss some easy shots and make some hard ones like every other bar player. It's worth noting that I almost exclusively play on those quarter barboxes. I rented out a real table a few weeks ago when some buddies were in town, and it was pathetic, I mean none of us could shoot worth a poo poo. Embarrassing.

The only time I did play a someone for money was sometime last year. I was watching a game my friends were playing as I was to play winner, and this drunk-rear end dude completely stumbles up to me and offered to play one game for twenty bucks. I was drunk and the game I was watching was just starting so I said gently caress it. Money went on the lights and I planned on taking it all because this dude was just hosed up. He got the break and sank a ball. Shot again, made another, and then missed and scratched. I play bar rules so the ball stays beyond the line. I made a few in, was a bit ahead until I hosed up a shot. He ran until the 8, missed, and then I ran until the 8, and also missed.

At this point, last call, last game, and bar's closed had been called. It was a game for lovely money so I wasn't leaving. It's a place I went to often and they knew me, I wasn't worried about it.

So this guy leans over and begins to aim. While he was aiming the bar just shut all the loving lights off, but he shot it anyway. I heard a clunk, pulled out my phone in the darkness and lit up the table. The cue ball was there, and the 8 was not. He made that loving shot in the dark, and I remember it was a challenging shot. Dude earned his twenty.

drat...writing that poo poo makes me wanna start playing more than the few times a month that I do now.

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

bratley posted:

I didn't see this asked yet but I may have missed it. What do you think about those trick shot guys on TV? Some of the stuff they do is amazing. Are they just bored of playing normally? Would they beat your rear end or do any good in pro games?

Yeah those guys are fun to watch live because it is always a relaxed atmosphere. They would all kick my rear end and I wouldn't have a shot. I am always looking to gamble with the casual player I am not good enough for the pros or anything like that. If I dedicated my life to it and just immersed myself in pool every hour of every day I might be able to become a pro but thats not a goal of mine so I would never pursue it.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Well, I read this thread then went back and read the repo one. Great stories. You've got a very entertaining writing style.

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

This weekend I was out with some friends at Dave and Busters for dinner and drinks. We decided at the end of the night to shoot a few games of pool and as usual the pool room was packed with drunks. I start watching and looking for an opportunity to gamble with some people and I find a group of younger guys with their girlfriends who look like the perfect targets. They were drunk, loud, obnoxious and it seemed like they had money with the amount of drinks and they were buying and on top of that they knew how to shoot pool. I let the people that I am with know that if they want to help we could probably hustle these guys and we will most likely get some money towards our tab or be able to drink for free.

My friends jump right at the idea and we come up with a little plan. We decide that my friend Krazy mike will be the instigator. Krazy Mike got his name from being well actually crazy. He started showing up to a poker games a few years ago and just always lost his poo poo when he did not win a pot. He challenged a couple of guys to a fight and people had to let him know that he needs to relax a little bit or he won't be invited back to the games. He finally got his emotions under control somewhat and I actually became pretty friendly with him. He is a full time gambler on golf, horses, poker, and blackjack. The reason the name Krazy starts with a K is because a King hit on the river in a game and he almost flipped the poker table and since then people have just labeled him Krazy Mike with a K.

So I tell Mike to approach these guys and start messing with them a little bit, make fun of their game act like you are better than them things like that. He is just standing by the table watching them shoot and then commenting on how they aren't very good. You can tell they are getting a little bit annoyed but they are laughing it off and actually being good sports about it. Mike is trying to see if he can but into their game and gamble with them. They say no and Mike starts telling them they are afraid of him and calling them chickens and things of that nature. The original plan was for Mike to get both guys to play against us 2 and we would just play for 20 a game but things worked out differently.

I walk over to bring Mike back to our table and the guy says it's a good thing I rescued him because he is being a drunk dumbass and they were going to take all his money. So I tell the guy I am a drunk and I am pretty sure I am dumbass so I will gamble with them. Now at this point I can tell that they think we are just a bunch of poo poo talkers. The guy says sure name the stakes so I start off small. I tell him lets play for 20 a game. I let him beat me 4 games in a row so I am down 80 and at this time my friends come over and try to persuade me to just leave because I have lost enough money already. I pull out 4 20's and tell the guy this is all I have left lets bet it on the last game so I can try to win my money back and if I lose I am done. My friends are really insisting that I just stop, saying I have had to much to drink and I don't need to be gambling. My girlfriend jumps right in the action and gets all pissy with me too telling me she is tired of me losing all my money gambling. I tell her this will be the last match because I am going to beat this guy. She gets mad and storms away and then the one guy jumps at the opportunity to take my money.

So we decide to play one match for $80 and I barely beat him and he is pissed. My friends are all telling me it's time to quit you got your money back lets get out of here but I stop them and tell the guy if he wants to gamble some more then bring it because I am on a roll. He laughs in my face slams $100 on the table and says lets play for a $100 a game. I end up taking $500 off him $200 was money he took from the ATM and I think he borrowed another $100 from one of the girls they were with. I beat him quickly too in the first $100 game and I assumed he would quit because I beat him pretty easily. He just kept saying he couldn't believe he was losing his money to a loving drunk. The 4th game He left me in a really lovely spot on the 8 ball and I had to bank the 8 off of 3 rails to make it. I was so pumped when I made it that I did the kiss your stick move that happens at about 2:35 in the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrjSqK7xPLE

I think that is when he finally realized that I just hustled him and I bought a round of shots for everyone including him and his friends but he had to try and beat me 1 more time and I broke and ran on him with ease. I could tell he was a little sick because his face turned white and he didn't say anything he just grabbed his jacket and walked out. His friends stood there for awhile looking kind of confused but they left a few minutes later. I was originally going to try and get like $40 bucks off the guy but his ego took over and I cleaned him out. Krazy Mike came up to me later and said man that felt like I just did 4 lines of coke when can we do it again.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
You make me want to go get drunk at Dave and Busters and "hustle" the hustlers $80 dollars at a time.

Because actually trying to get good at pool is just too much work :/

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson

Wachepti posted:

Well, I read this thread then went back and read the repo one. Great stories. You've got a very entertaining writing style.

Yeah, it feels like you are talking to some awesome drunk guy you met in a bar.

Do you think anyone could learn to hustle on your level with lots of practice? How much of it do you think is raw talent and growing up with the game?

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

totalnewbie posted:

You make me want to go get drunk at Dave and Busters and "hustle" the hustlers $80 dollars at a time.

Because actually trying to get good at pool is just too much work :/

Seriously. I'm surprised jase1 doesn't have any stories of people who do a lot of this, go out and deliberately get hustled and then refuse to up the ante and walk off with $50 or whatever.

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

The Mutato posted:

Yeah, it feels like you are talking to some awesome drunk guy you met in a bar.

Do you think anyone could learn to hustle on your level with lots of practice? How much of it do you think is raw talent and growing up with the game?

If someone really dedicates themselves to the game of pool I think they could. You would seriously have to practice a lot, I am talking like a few hours a day. I am sure there are guys that just pick up the game with natural talent but when it comes to hustling you have to really know what your doing. My Uncle's take is hustling is an art it takes years of work to perfect the proper hustle but at the same time it can all go wrong at any given minute. For me I think its more that I just grew up with the game. I spent a lot of time in my Uncle's pool hall so much to the point that all my friends when I was 16 were guys that were like 25 and older. Everything I did when I was younger revolved around pool. I went on vacations to pool tournaments and big money matches and just sat and watch my Uncle clean up all weekend. I gained so much experience watching and shooting with all these amazing pool players and that's the type of stuff that helped me become a better pool player. I don't think I have raw talent or anything like that. I feel like my Uncle does because he just picked up a stick and was always good.

Boogeyman
Sep 29, 2004

Boo, motherfucker.

Corridor posted:

Seriously. I'm surprised jase1 doesn't have any stories of people who do a lot of this, go out and deliberately get hustled and then refuse to up the ante and walk off with $50 or whatever.

I don't go out looking for it, but I've always enjoyed doing that. I play at the same bar 99% of the time, so it's obvious who's a regular and who's not. Every once in a while some guy will come in (hustler or not) and want to play for drinks or money after a couple of games. I don't normally gamble, and if I do, it's not for much. I'll agree to $5 or $10 a game, win a few, then it usually turns into them saying "enough dicking around, let's put some real money on it". Nah, I'm good, buddy, thanks for paying my tab tonight. :)

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I'm surprised he lets the mark win at all. I've heard that some hustlers never let the mark win, instead they just keep the game close and win with what appears to be a lucky shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Konstantin posted:

I'm surprised he lets the mark win at all. I've heard that some hustlers never let the mark win, instead they just keep the game close and win with what appears to be a lucky shot.

I imagine that if the mark has an ego, letting them win will puff it up more than barely beating them and they'll probably be more willing to put up money if they think they're going to win again.

• Locked thread