Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The white haired girl is the one he's been after since the beginning.

It can't be any worse than Kimi No M, though. That's a textbook example of whiplash love interest.

On the other hand, I wish Love So Life would get translated faster :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mura
Feb 3, 2008

Tae posted:

It can't be any worse than Kimi No M, though. That's a textbook example of whiplash love interest.

Outside of the really stupid dying friend leveraging his disease to steal Yuzuki from Haruto arc I think Kimi no iru Machi is alright. It's not a gold series for me like Hiyokoi, Taiyou no Ie, or Kimi ni Todoke, but it still holds my interest and I read it when it comes out.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The whiplash I hate to this day is going from Asuka back to Yuzuki despite everything short of marriage in their relationship. Then we're supposed to forget all about it. He's an rear end.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Tae posted:

I know it's the same girl but I still don't remember her name off the top of my head, only that she's Seiji's senpai.

I don't know why I find Kimi no Iro Machi so much more bearable than Good Ending, the characters haven't gotten less childish since they went off to college. Part of it is Haruto has more spine than Seiji when it matters, but they're both pretty typical shoujo protags and their obvious love interests aren't terribly special either.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
Well, Lililicious just made a new set of releases, including the last chapter of Chatting at the Amber Teahouse and the third chapter of Fragments of Love.

I'm kind of sad that Chatting at the Amber Teahouse is finished, since it my personal favorite little 'pick-me-up' series. That, and I'm a sucker for Fujieda Miyabi's outfit designs.

Fragments of Love, on the other hand, is really, really refreshing. Not enough yuri series really explore actual LGBT issues, while Fragments of Love tackles them straight on. Honestly, I'd say it's giving Aoi Hana a run for its money at this point.

Last thing was some medicore one-shot called 'Love'. I didn't even get to reading the text before closing it so I can't really comment on it beyond it looking like it's as by-the-numbers and awful as its title.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Apr 19, 2012

ZuljinRaynor
Apr 25, 2010

NERD LICENSE IMMUNITY
It's just been revoked!
I'm really liking Fragments of Love too.

Miijhal posted:

Last thing was some medicore one-shot called 'Love'. I didn't even get to reading the text before closing it so I can't really comment on it beyond it looking like it's as by-the-numbers and awful as its title.

Girl 1 thinks she is strange; always looks at Girl 2.
Girl 2 asks why Girl 1 is looking at Girl 2. Girl 1 makes up an excuse about wanting to know what Girl 2 uses to make her skin look good.
Girl 2 says it is a secret. Girl 1 and 2 start hanging out.
Girl 1 goes over Girl 2's house. Girl 2 has a picture of some guy. Girl 2 says to keep it a secret.
Girl 1 gets sad but thinks she is closer than anyone to Girl 2 right now so Girl 1 wants her feelings to connect because she is in love with Girl 2.

That's about it.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
Just finished off Aoi Hana. I'm really sad that I couldn't see our two heroines get together properly, but I doubt it was a moneymaking venture for those who did it.

But totally going and ruining myself for any chance at the manga, I just had to know if they ever got together. Knowing they didn't... guh. It makes me horribly sad. Why can't there be a quality, shoujo lesbian romance series out there? :(

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Finally finished season 2 of Kimi no Todoke. I liked it but season 1 was much better. Season 1 had a lot more fun in it and focused on the awesome secondary characters a lot more. Season 2 was like 100% frustrating Kazehaya/Sawako poo poo. I wish it had been a 26 ep season so we could see them like actually together instead of just angsting 24/7.

Season 1 was something that anyone could enjoy, but I feel like season 2 only really appeals to people who are really invested in Kazehaya and Sawako getting together.

And Miura is a loving dick.

I suppose I should pick up the manga where the anime left off but I don't really like the style of the manga. The anime looked soooo good too, I don't know if I can give that up. Then again I sorta thought the same about Aoi Hana (although I think the art is much better in the Aoi Hana manga than KnT) and ended up liking the manga more than the anime.

quaunaut posted:

Just finished off Aoi Hana. I'm really sad that I couldn't see our two heroines get together properly, but I doubt it was a moneymaking venture for those who did it.

But totally going and ruining myself for any chance at the manga, I just had to know if they ever got together. Knowing they didn't... guh. It makes me horribly sad. Why can't there be a quality, shoujo lesbian romance series out there? :(

Um... I think you have the wrong idea about what happens in the manga. I would say just read it. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Also, if you want to read something that mainly deals with the actual relationship part of a relationship, check out Octave. It's really good.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Really? I was the opposite. I found the KnT anime artwork to be rather bland compared to the manga's. I think Shiina sometimes draws fingers a bit too long, but other than that it's a very aesthetically pleasing style to me.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

quaunaut posted:

If you mean Fumi and Sugimoto as the heroines then, yeah you'll be disappointed, if you mean Fumi and someone else, well let's just say that as much as I love it, the anime is barely the introduction to the real story. This image is a big spoiler, but probably of the kind that will make you want to read it.:3:

If you liked the anime, there is literally no reason not to read the manga. Seriously, I can't recommend it enough and if you check my post history throughout this thread you can probably get an idea just how strongly I mean that.

There's not a whole lot of good anime that falls into what you seem to be looking for, both Aoi Hana and Sasameki Koto were complete bombs in DVD sales. :smith:

In manga though, there's a few really good ones::siren:
Octave A great portrayal of tumultuous first love and all it's many ups and downs. I've posted about this one a whole bunch too.

quote:

When she was young, Yukino Miyashita wanted, more than anything else, to become an idol. However, after accomplishing her dream, the idol group she was part of failed to sell, and she returned to school, facing alienation from her peers. Now, at age 18, Yukino is living alone in Tokyo, half-heartedly trying to start a new life as a talent manager, while not quite able to put her idol days behind her. She meets Setsuko, a songwriter who also once belonged to a failed idol group. The romance, sparked by her encounter with Setsuko, causes Yukino to re-evaluate her own life.

Love My Life

quote:

Ichiko Izumiya is an eighteen-year-old woman who goes to language school in university and works part-time at a music store. She lives with her father, Housei Izumiya, who translates English novels into Japanese for a living. Her mother died seven years before the story begins. Ichiko also has a girlfriend named Eri Joujima. When she comes out as a lesbian to her father, her father shocks her by telling her that both he and her mother are also gay. They had wanted to raise a child, and had agreed to marry in name to raise a child in Japan, while mutually being in their own relationships. The rest of the story shows Ichiko meeting her parents' lovers, her daily life and love with Eri.
It's available on JManga, so talking about scans is probably not a good idea.
It has a live action movie too, although I haven't had a chance to watch that.

Girl Friends (also on JManga) While not quite as nuanced and sensitive as Aoi Hana still manages to be really sweet and a fairly believable look at a girl who starts to recognize that she's gay and is falling in love with her best friend. Morinaga's art is pretty decent, without being really memorable, even if she really likes to throw in a bit of fanservice here and there. Her other series Kisses, Sighs and Cherry Blossom Pink, which is not about the same characters (even if they do look and act almost identically), was probably even better. It starts as a series of interconnected stories here and then continues on in a more recent set of stand alone stories available here.

Anything by Takemiya Jin. Another author who actually writes about people who are gay and not just in a 'yuri' way. She only has a few things out, but I've really become interested in seeing what else she comes out with.

And of course The Aoi Hana manga. Did I mention you should read it? Because you should.

Speaking about Kimi ni Todoke I literally flip flop back and forth about which format, anime or manga, I like it more in. Which probably just means that I should stop trying to qualify it in that way and just accept that they are tied.

e: I have three times as many posts as the next person in this thread, how the hell did that happen?

a kitten fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 21, 2012

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Finally finished season 2 of Kimi no Todoke. I liked it but season 1 was much better. Season 1 had a lot more fun in it and focused on the awesome secondary characters a lot more. Season 2 was like 100% frustrating Kazehaya/Sawako poo poo. I wish it had been a 26 ep season so we could see them like actually together instead of just angsting 24/7.

Season 1 was something that anyone could enjoy, but I feel like season 2 only really appeals to people who are really invested in Kazehaya and Sawako getting together.

I suppose I should pick up the manga where the anime left off but I don't really like the style of the manga. The anime looked soooo good too, I don't know if I can give that up. Then again I sorta thought the same about Aoi Hana (although I think the art is much better in the Aoi Hana manga than KnT) and ended up liking the manga more than the anime.

Um... I think you have the wrong idea about what happens in the manga. I would say just read it. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Also, if you want to read something that mainly deals with the actual relationship part of a relationship, check out Octave. It's really good.

Totally agree with you on Kimi ni Todoke. However, I did actually entirely love it.

As to Aoi Hana: I was totally getting my description from Wikipedia. I just want confirmation. Do they get together?

Also, thanks for recommending Octave, definitely gonna check it out.

a kitten posted:

If you mean Fumi and Sugimoto as the heroines then, yeah you'll be disappointed, if you mean Fumi and someone else, well let's just say that as much as I love it, the anime is barely the introduction to the real story. This image is a big spoiler, but probably of the kind that will make you want to read it.:3:

If you liked the anime, there is literally no reason not to read the manga. Seriously, I can't recommend it enough and if you check my post history throughout this thread you can probably get an idea just how strongly I mean that.

There's not a whole lot of good anime that falls into what you seem to be looking for, both Aoi Hana and Sasameki Koto were complete bombs in DVD sales. :smith:

In manga though, there's a few really good ones::siren:
Octave A great portrayal of tumultuous first love and all it's many ups and downs. I've posted about this one a whole bunch too.

Love My Life

It's available on JManga, so talking about scans is probably not a good idea.
It has a live action movie too, although I haven't had a chance to watch that.

Girl Friends (also on JManga) While not quite as nuanced and sensitive as Aoi Hana still manages to be really sweet and a fairly believable look at a girl who starts to recognize that she's gay and is falling in love with her best friend. Morinaga's art is pretty decent, without being really memorable, even if she really likes to throw in a bit of fanservice here and there. Her other series Kisses, Sighs and Cherry Blossom Pink, which is not about the same characters (even if they do look and act almost identically), was probably even better. It starts as a series of interconnected stories here and then continues on in a more recent set of stand alone stories available here.

Anything by Takemiya Jin. Another author who actually writes about people who are gay and not just in a 'yuri' way. She only has a few things out, but I've really become interested in seeing what else she comes out with.

And of course The Aoi Hana manga. Did I mention you should read it? Because you should.

Speaking about Kimi ni Todoke I literally flip flop back and forth about which format, anime or manga, I like it more in. Which probably just means that I should stop trying to qualify it in that way and just accept that they are tied.

e: I have three times as many posts as the next person in this thread, how the hell did that happen?

Crap, I might love you a bit. And they hinted at that image at the end of the anime, in the last 3 episodes. If that means they do actually get together... consider me in. I guess I know how I'm spending tonight. Why can't I have a smartphone and read all of these at work. :(

quaunaut fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 21, 2012

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

quaunaut posted:

Totally agree with you on Kimi ni Todoke. However, I did actually entirely love it.

As to Aoi Hana: I was totally getting my description from Wikipedia. I just want confirmation. Do they get together?

Also, thanks for recommending Octave, definitely gonna check it out.

Akira and Fumi?
Yes, and it is lovely.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I tried watching the anime of Sasameki Koto... it seemed way too serious for what the manga was. You didn't get a lot of internal narration and maybe that has something to do with it, but I couldn't watch 3 episodes of it. I loved the manga purely because it was serious, realistic, and funny, where as the anime seemed like it lost a lot of the humor.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

a kitten posted:

Akira and Fumi?
Yes, and it is lovely.

Yeah, okay, so that really is who is in the image. Never saw her in a ponytail.

This makes me immeasurably happy. I was really excited to get home and read Octave, now I don't know what I want to read. This is the best kind of problem.

Edit:Could I get away with starting at a later point thanks to watching the anime, or would I have lost too much?

quaunaut fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 21, 2012

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I jumped into the manga right where the anime ended. I didn't feel lost really, but you might want to skip back just a few chapters because they do change a few minor things around.

I eventually re-read the entire series, but despite some things being changed, the gist of everything is pretty much the same. So you don't have to start from the beginning unless you just really want to.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

quaunaut posted:

Edit:Could I get away with starting at a later point thanks to watching the anime, or would I have lost too much?
You probably could, Chapter 18 (iirc) is where it continues from. That's exactly what I did the first time I read it although I went back later and re-read it from the beginning.

Cityinthesea posted:

I tried watching the anime of Sasameki Koto... it seemed way too serious for what the manga was. You didn't get a lot of internal narration and maybe that has something to do with it, but I couldn't watch 3 episodes of it. I loved the manga purely because it was serious, realistic, and funny, where as the anime seemed like it lost a lot of the humor.
They hit the humor in the anime as well, but it always felt like a big switch every time its emotional tone changed. Overall I like the manga a lot more, even if I feel fondly about the anime, since it was the first anime romance of any type that I watched. The last bound version of the manga has finally come out too, so maybe someone will finally translate the whole ending, filling in the blanks between chapters 48 and 53. :sigh:

Edit: oh poo poo MakiMaki is, in fact, still planning on doing SK.

makimaki on April 18th posted:

Metoraba Part B is released (Read Online | Direct Download)

I promise I'll be faster with Sasameki Koto >_>

a kitten fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 21, 2012

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

I love the Sasamekikoto manga as well. I wasn't too fond of the anime, because it feels like almost everything of consequence happened after the anime ended. I guess Aoi Hana kind of did that too, but at least they had a large story arc that the anime covered. The Sasamekikoto anime just felt like they barely scratched the surface of the story.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

a kitten posted:

Akira and Fumi?
Yes, and it is lovely.

Don't read this if you're not caught up on the manga, seriously:

I don't know about that, it kinda seems like it isn't going to last. I'm not really sure if Akira is really into the relationship or is just going along with Fumi to make her happy. I kind of think that Akira is eventually going to realize that she doesn't really love Fumi the way Fumi loves her and they'll break up and it'll be horrible and I'll jump in front of a bus.

I've only really skimmed through 41-44 though, so I could be wrong.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

I don't know about that, it kinda seems like it isn't going to last. I'm not really sure if Akira is really into the relationship or is just going along with Fumi to make her happy. I kind of think that Akira is eventually going to realize that she doesn't really love Fumi the way Fumi loves her and they'll break up and it'll be horrible and I'll jump in front of a bus.

(current chapter spoilers) I think you're right, unfortunately. I think Akira is Asexual, though, so she may just end up staying with Fumi because Fumi's her best friend. That'd still be kinda depressing, but better than the alternative. I just expect the worst because the author is so great at being really depressing... Hourou Musuko is even worse.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Still current (44) Aoi Hana discussion so don't read if you're not there!

I probably just should have put "yes" but those two getting together was and is pretty lovely. Whether it will remain that way is very much still up in the air though. On the one hand Akira has obviously been doing a lot of thinking about it and as much as she doesn't want to hurt Fumi she has to know that the longer it goes on (assuming her feelings don't match Fumi's) the more it is going to hurt her to end it, so I feel like if she really wasn't in to it she would have ended it by now. Plus their relationship seems like it is at least semi-public, the girls in Akira's drama club all seem to know which makes it feel more permanent to me as well. On the other hand, Shimura is constantly showing very different emotional states for the both of them: Fumi is crazy, head-over-heels, blushingly in love with Akira, while Akira is constantly shown to be somewhere on the sad and thoughtful emotional spectrum every time she shows them by themselves.

I really like that part of the writing actually, Fumi is reserved and shy about most things, but her affections are written as strong and obvious, while Akira is much more outgoing and extroverted and we have almost no idea what she's actually thinking and feeling right now.

It does feel like we might know fairly soon though, Akira really is trying to talk to someone about what she's feeling; she's tried both Kyouko and that teacher whose name I forget but hasn't had the actual conversation yet.

Plus! As I wrote earlier in this thread it promises "A girl meets girl story that will set your heart aflutter" so there's obviously no way it'll end poorly for anyone involved. : ohdear:

Edit to add that I just finished watching the film version of Love My Life and it is all sorts of good and if you'll excuse me I seem to have something in my eye.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 22, 2012

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
Having begun to read Aoi Hana in manga form, I can't help but say this is superior in every way. Same great story, except there's backstory never covered in the anime. Then, the art is insanely better. It's like night and day. Characters that could never appear attractive in the anime have these wonderful moments in the manga.

Guh. Why must I always be so hesitant to read manga?

Edit: The sudden shift away from Akira and Fumi is pissing me off. HEY GUISE THEY GET TOGETHER... NOW FOR OTHER NEWS.

Edit2: I spoke too soon. omg. I'm having a fit. When do we get the next one? Today, right? Like, it needs to be today. Please. :cry:

quaunaut fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Apr 22, 2012

Mura
Feb 3, 2008

I wouldn't really go so far as to say that. He had good intentions, but just misread the hell out of the situation between Kazehaya and Sawako. He got involved because he thought that Kazehaya was unintentionally leading Sawako on, and was just trying to keep the trainwreck he thought was coming from happening.

Instead, he threw a wrench into things, but Kazehaya and Sawako's personalities were equally to blame for that whole situation.

I'm not sure if I need to spoiler that or not, because KnT Season 2 ended over a year ago, but I'll just play it safe.

Mura fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Apr 22, 2012

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

quaunaut posted:

Edit2: I spoke too soon. omg. I'm having a fit. When do we get the next one? Today, right? Like, it needs to be today. Please. :cry:

Welcome to the "It's been 2 months why isn't there a new chapter yet?" club!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

quaunaut posted:

Bookmark this page: http://www.lililicious.net/projectDet.php?id=51 and check it like a chump every day even though you know that they only come out every other month. :gbsmith:

There was a patch of Aoi Hana where the art kind of slipped a bit I thought, I think her assistants did an OK job, but it really didn't have the deft line-work that she's capable of. The last couple of chapters have the art back in top form though.
This panel still cracks me up every time I look at it.

It's funny that I had really different impressions of Miura from KnT depending on whether it was the anime or the manga, I remember thinking that he was just a meddling jerk in the anime who figured that maybe if he disrupted what he saw as Kazehaya leading Sawako on he could get his foot in the door to date her himself. In the manga I felt like he only started to fall for her after his misread of their situation. So, his actions were very similar but I got different impressions of his motivations. I still don't really think he's a good match for Yano, "better than Pin" isn't much of a qualification.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 22, 2012

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.
Checked this thread as a passing interest, I never realized it was exactly what I was looking for :unsmith:

I just blitzed my way through Aoi Hana and now I'm dying for the next chapter, whyy did I have to look at this thread :negative:

But I noticed Aoi Hana is written by the same woman who does Hourou Musuko, which is super cool! I love that manga and it's pretty obvious that she knows what she's doing when it comes to LGBT relationships and issues, which is pretty refreshing. It's nice seeing positive transgendered media in any shape.

Although I have to ask, what is with Japan's idea of "all girls school -> hyper concentration of lesbians?"

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Well technically with a higher amount of girls, undoubtedly there would be a higher percentage of lesbians, though I think it's so they don't have to draw/write any male characters. Also there seems to be a belief in Japan that in all girl schools, girls will date each other because there aren't any guys around.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

From what I can gather the girl's school setting initially stemmed from this:

wiki posted:

"Among the first Japanese authors to produce works about love between women was Nobuko Yoshiya,[9] a novelist active in the Taishō and Shōwa periods of Japan.[21] Yoshiya pioneered in Japanese lesbian literature, including the early twentieth century Class S genre.[22] These kinds of stories depict lesbian attachments as emotionally intense yet platonic relationships, destined to be curtailed by graduation from school, marriage, or death.[21] The root of this genre is in part the contemporary understanding that same-sex love was a transitory and normal part of female development leading into heterosexuality and motherhood."
more wiki info

And since then it's stuck around as a setting even when people are, especially in the last several years, writing about people who are in fact somewhere in the LGBT spectrum.

That reminds me to ask: are there any good anime or manga about gay men? I'm not even remotely interested in yaoi, but seeing something that is written with the sensitivity of Aoi Hana, Wandering Son, and Love My Life would probably be interesting. There's a couple gay men who are in Love My Life, and also in the autobiographical Honey and Honey who are well written and not depicted as over the top stereotypes, and the anime No. 6 seemed like it might have the male leads be headed towards being a couple, but it was so ridiculously boring that I dropped it after a few episodes.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Well uh there's Junjou Romantica and Sekai Ichi something or the other. Both by the same chick. Junjou is pretty offputting for various reasons but Sekai is pretty tame. The author clearly doesn't understand men, the characters can be pretty wonky, but Sekai at least can be cute and endearing.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!
I think way back this thread recommended Kinou Nani Tabeta? (What Did You Eat Yesterday) by Fumi Yoshinaga which is half recipes and half two gay dudes living together. It hasn't had an update in over two years, though. Some of Yoshinaga's other stuff is pretty good, too, like Antique Bakery which is licensed, but she does do some yaoi as well.

I found Otona no Mondai (Adult Problems) by Ichiko Ima recently, which sort of hits the very tip of the "gay issues" iceberg, but it's better than anything else I can think of offhand. It's also pretty short and has a cute ending!

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
Finished up Octave. And y'know, that ending honestly was the best I could hope for out of that series.

It wasn't a series filled with swooning- Aoi Hana still gets that spot. And it never took its time in telling the story. Sometimes I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing- I like that they didn't belabor it for the sake of sales or anything, but I also wish it didn't end so quickly that I could have the whole story read in two days.

Looking back, everything seemed to be planned out very well, with all the fat trimmed. But you could tell the fat was trimmed, because the meat was cut into as well- leaving out major things, like Yukino ever being completely up front with Setsuko. It feels like by the end, she was supposed to, or perhaps it's just saying "Those other things won't come back to bite her.", but I suppose the story isn't trying to be a cute story, but a realistic one: There are always dangling threads.

I also learned two things from it. One, is from this page. The final thing said there- that's a beautiful sign of trust in a relationship. That one isn't overeager, isn't in love for the sake of it- that they have that real trust. That's something to learn from.

The second, is that you can't keep sacrificing who you are to try and be something better. Sure, you have lovely spots in your past, and lovely parts of who you are- but denying their existence to try and be better isn't going to fix them. You have to confront them outright and work around them, completely embracing their existence the same way you would a lover's flaws.

I suppose that last one could be drilled down into 'love oneself'.

Sorry for the pseudo-psycho-babble. I just found that even as I finished the series, that I think I'll probably keep thinking about it for a few days and learn some more things from it. It's probably the first time I've genuinely thought I could learn something from manga/anime- usually, I find it too ridiculous to do that reasonably.

Thanks for the recommendation.

a kitten posted:

Still current (44) Aoi Hana discussion so don't read if you're not there!

I probably just should have put "yes" but those two getting together was and is pretty lovely. Whether it will remain that way is very much still up in the air though. On the one hand Akira has obviously been doing a lot of thinking about it and as much as she doesn't want to hurt Fumi she has to know that the longer it goes on (assuming her feelings don't match Fumi's) the more it is going to hurt her to end it, so I feel like if she really wasn't in to it she would have ended it by now. Plus their relationship seems like it is at least semi-public, the girls in Akira's drama club all seem to know which makes it feel more permanent to me as well. On the other hand, Shimura is constantly showing very different emotional states for the both of them: Fumi is crazy, head-over-heels, blushingly in love with Akira, while Akira is constantly shown to be somewhere on the sad and thoughtful emotional spectrum every time she shows them by themselves.

I really like that part of the writing actually, Fumi is reserved and shy about most things, but her affections are written as strong and obvious, while Akira is much more outgoing and extroverted and we have almost no idea what she's actually thinking and feeling right now.

It does feel like we might know fairly soon though, Akira really is trying to talk to someone about what she's feeling; she's tried both Kyouko and that teacher whose name I forget but hasn't had the actual conversation yet.

Plus! As I wrote earlier in this thread it promises "A girl meets girl story that will set your heart aflutter" so there's obviously no way it'll end poorly for anyone involved. : ohdear:

Edit to add that I just finished watching the film version of Love My Life and it is all sorts of good and if you'll excuse me I seem to have something in my eye.

Also, I think you guys are expecting a bit much from Akira. She's never been in a relationship, she's never even 'had thoughts like that'. Suddenly, she's presented with it, and from someone she enjoys, and sometimes has even gotten jealous over. Sure, she didn't go into it running- but that's okay. It can be okay to slowly try things out, to test the waters, to simultaneously find yourself and explore love with someone else. Arguably, it's the best way to do it.

I think something as complex as sexuality and love can't help but be something thrusted upon us. No one is ever truly 'ready'- they just might have reached a point that they don't think they'll die if they take the next step up. And when you have no fathomable idea what a relationship means- especially when it isn't even the same relationship you've been told of all your life- that's all you can do, is hope for the best and try.

quaunaut fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 23, 2012

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

quaunaut posted:

[spoiler]
Aoi Hana up to Chapter 44

Oh I completely agree and I'm not particularly pessimistic about Fumi and Akira's chances of being together for a long time, but at the same time one thing Shimura has shown she's good at is writing about just how complicated life can be and that love, especially first love, doesn't always go the way that it "should". Having the releases come every other month does however give me plenty of time to ponder all the different possibilities that could occur, and even to worry about what might be inconsequential things by blowing them out of proportion. :ohdear:

If you like her writing you should check out Wandering Son as well. You can even read a 20 page preview on the US publisher's site:
http://www.fantagraphics.com/browse-shop/wandering-son-vol.-1-4.html?vmcchk=1

It starts a little rougher than Aoi Hana did and even though I like Aoi Hana more, it is probably a more ambitious undertaking. There's an anime version that came out last year for it as well, it starts roughly in the middle of the story though and seemed more like a (beautifully animated and written) treat for existing fans of the manga rather than a stand-alone work.

vvvvvvv
Well it's pretty cute right off the bat, but I wasn't positive I was going to keep reading the chapter until "I've got a lobster :haw:" popped up. Thanks for posting it!

a kitten fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 26, 2012

Mura
Feb 3, 2008
Bringing this back around to the hetero world, Hibi Chouchou is only just starting, but it's easily the cutest thing I've read since Hiyokoi. I think it's really shaping up to be something interesting.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Finally new Kuragehime. The chapter names have got me excited for whats next.

New Taiyou no Ie too.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I really, really like Taiyou no Ie. It's so cute, and drawn to match. I'm always a sucker for shoujo that's as much about family as romance. I made myself late for work this morning reading that latest chapter.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I really, really like Taiyou no Ie. It's so cute, and drawn to match. I'm always a sucker for shoujo that's as much about family as romance. I made myself late for work this morning reading that latest chapter.

Well if you don't read chapter 11 right now you might be late again. http://www.batoto.net/read/_/98082/taiyou-no-ie_v3_ch11_by_maigo

It's so good! Like ridiculously good.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

coathat posted:

Well if you don't read chapter 11 right now you might be late again. http://www.batoto.net/read/_/98082/taiyou-no-ie_v3_ch11_by_maigo

I think I had something in my eye when I read the end of that chapter...

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

coathat posted:

I took your advice! This may top my list of favorite running shoujo.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I recently read through the available chapters of a manga called Yandere Kanojo. It's about a deliquent girl who falls in love with a normal guy, but has to hide their relationship keep her reputation intact. If that sounds like Onidere to you, that's because it's pretty much the same. Except for me personally, I dropped Onidere after a couple of chapters while I found this to be pretty endearing. It's not all dawwwwww but there are a lot of good moments.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Nate RFB posted:

I recently read through the available chapters of a manga called Yandere Kanojo. It's about a deliquent girl who falls in love with a normal guy, but has to hide their relationship keep her reputation intact. If that sounds like Onidere to you, that's because it's pretty much the same. Except for me personally, I dropped Onidere after a couple of chapters while I found this to be pretty endearing. It's not all dawwwwww but there are a lot of good moments.

It was reversed for me. I finished Onidere but I could only get a few chapters into this one. Though honestly it was probably because I was tired of the premise from Onidere already when I read this one. Who knows if I would have chosen the same if I read them in reverse order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Onidere seemed more focused on slapstick and seemed to spend pretty much no time at all on the relationship itself, which is why I ultimately dropped it. This however from the get-go put a lot of time and energy into the romance, to the point where the "hide it from everyone else" basically never actually turned into a relevant plot point or joke.