Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Frot Lesnar posted:

And in Chopped fashion the only guy who properly cleaned or used the ingredient is eliminated.

He sucked otherwise.

He got pancake mix and made burned pancakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

He sucked otherwise.

He got pancake mix and made burned pancakes.

He totally deserved to go. I was just pointing out how this happens frequently.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Amanda Freitag was on ICA last week and there was a shot of her taking a swig from a vodka bottle as she walked it to the chiller. This marks the second episode of a show in which a FN personality either associated with Chopped, or actually competing ON Chopped has taken a direct swig from a bottle they are using to cook.

I only bring this up because I feel like at least two different Chopped judges of completely brought the hammer down on contestants for doing that. I think Santos made the biggest deal about it though.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

There was an episode a while back where Santos and Conant hammered on a contestant for tasting something with a spoon, and then using the same spoon to continue working on the dish -- and he did it in all three rounds.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

ToastyPotato posted:

Amanda Freitag was on ICA last week and there was a shot of her taking a swig from a vodka bottle as she walked it to the chiller. This marks the second episode of a show in which a FN personality either associated with Chopped, or actually competing ON Chopped has taken a direct swig from a bottle they are using to cook.

I don't think she actually took a swig of it, though. If I recall correctly, Madison spun the bottle as he handed it to her and then she brought it up. Unless he corked it for her, spun it without spilling a drop and then she put it into the freezer uncorked; she didn't take a sip.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Vodka is a disinfectant! :eng101: Never fear, any mouth cooties that make it to the dish will be 100% dead.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Strange Matter posted:

Sweet Genius is super weird. Ron Ben-Isreal's insidious glee at springing new rules on his contestants is utterly fascinating.

He looks like a happier Voldemort.

Also apparently tonight's Chopped all had contestants from the last Food Network Star or something. The were all hilariously bitchy towards each other. I think all three of them said something like "I know I'm a better chef than those others" when they were chopped.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I just want to say that if the winner from the Iron Chef round of Chopped All Stars doesn't beat the poo poo out of the winners from the other rounds, they should be forced to renounce not just ever having been an Iron Chef, but cooking forever.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

axleblaze posted:

I just want to say that if the winner from the Iron Chef round of Chopped All Stars doesn't beat the poo poo out of the winners from the other rounds, they should be forced to renounce not just ever having been an Iron Chef, but cooking forever.

There is no shame in losing to Marcus Samuelson.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

dude789 posted:

He looks like a happier Voldemort.

Also apparently tonight's Chopped all had contestants from the last Food Network Star or something. The were all hilariously bitchy towards each other. I think all three of them said something like "I know I'm a better chef than those others" when they were chopped.

Most worthless episode of Chopped ever. They could have gone out front of the building and pulled the first four people they saw on the street in to compete and I would have cared more than seeing any of those FNS people cook.

Also I think in the context of being for charity the 'all or nothing' aspect of Chopped is a little off colour. It would be nice if they at least gave the winners of each round 10,000 for their charity and even say 1,000, 2,500, 5000 for each of the other contestants. But no they just splash out 50,000 at the end which is all they would have awarded for five episodes anyway, despite this version being a flagship Sunday night show.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
No but you see, charities really don't like it when you only give them $10,000 or some poo poo like that, and they'd really much rather be piggybacked onto some dumbshit cook as part of an elimination-style competition.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

And they're MENTIONED in episodes which will change everything!

The last episode was kind of hilarious, more because those particular contestants were pretty awful (though when are they NOT when it comes to food network star).

Stilettos-in-the-kitchen and Vic Vegas. Oy.

That other guy was actually crying when eliminated after the entree round, right? Because HA!

They did have okinawan sweet potatoes on that episode, though, which was cool. My boyfriend makes a killer okinawan sweet potato pie.

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Love? Justice? Pah! I'll crush them all!

raditts posted:

It's like Iron Chef with Lex Luthor instead of Chairman Kaga.

I love how this season of Sweet Genius has pretty much gone all-out with crazy, crazy inspirations. Contortionists, ballerinas, Ron-Ben Israel? How are they going to top that?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Vic Vegas is actually a pretty cool dude. I really wanted him to win FNS, because he was the only person who wasn't an annoying piece of poo poo, but that's pretty much why he didn't win so. :/

Speaking of Food Network Star, I remember the first season was actually really cool, because they went through what it took to actually make a TV show and poo poo and it was interesting and challenging and legit.

And then after that it had less to do with if the contestants had what it took to do a cooking show and more with if they could do crazy challenges that I'm pretty sure none of the regular FN personalities would be able to do if called on it.

And then was it last season that Giada was brought in as a mentor figure, but then didn't do any kind of mentoring at all? That was kind of funny. And now it's like 3 teams of 5 with Bobby, Giada, and Alton each heading up a team and I have no idea what the gently caress is going on anymore and can't be bothered to care.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

I watched the first season of FNS and was "invested" in it to some degree but really don't remember much about it.

It just gets more and more depressing to me with every passing season. Obviously I keep watching it so I have no right to be too critical, but goddamn. This one looks particularly weird.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

That other guy was actually crying when eliminated after the entree round, right? Because HA!
He was the funniest by far.

"I just know that I'm on a whole nother level than these guys, and she overcooked her steak, and I'm just so much better than they are dammit..."
:qq:

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

We were laughing more about his statement about how this was probably the last time he'd cook for them so blah blah.

I think we all got enough of you when we watched you on the show and promptly forgot that you existed, dude!

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Oh, and are we all on the same page that the only reason Penny won this episode was because of her whole "redemption" story to not be seen as a psycho bitch, and it had nothing to do with her food being the best?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Omniphile posted:

I love how this season of Sweet Genius has pretty much gone all-out with crazy, crazy inspirations. Contortionists, ballerinas, Ron-Ben Israel? How are they going to top that?

I want him to go full on mentally unstable, enough of this eccentric genius stuff, let's make this guy loving insane.

"For this challenge you must recreate my favorite dessert made by my mother"

"Uh ok, what is it"

"GO! WORK!"

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

I watched the first season of FNS and was "invested" in it to some degree but really don't remember much about it.

It just gets more and more depressing to me with every passing season. Obviously I keep watching it so I have no right to be too critical, but goddamn. This one looks particularly weird.

I remember missing the one episode before the finale and thinking how the hell did the two gay caterers win?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Glitterbomber posted:

I want him to go full on mentally unstable, enough of this eccentric genius stuff, let's make this guy loving insane.

I've always been convinced he's insane ever since the very first 10-second promo for the first season of Sweet Genius -- the one that just had him sitting at a table with that smug grin and slowly nodding. Ever since then, I can't help but look at the guy and think, "This dude has murdered people with poisoned confections."

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Timby posted:

I've always been convinced he's insane ever since the very first 10-second promo for the first season of Sweet Genius -- the one that just had him sitting at a table with that smug grin and slowly nodding. Ever since then, I can't help but look at the guy and think, "This dude has murdered people with poisoned confections."

For today's challenge you must create...THE ANTIDOTE!

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Chicken-in-a-can :barf:

Even Ted Allen was incredulous over that ingredient.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Wait, was there a new episode tonight, or are you talking about the All-Stars that I haven't watched yet?

I hate to sound like a food snob, because I could live on Kraft Mac n Cheese and bologna, but this is a conversation I had about a decade ago at work:

"Autumn, these chicken sandwiches are really good! How did you make them?"

"Well, take a large can of chicken, and..."

"Nevermind."

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
No it's just the random episode that's on right now. Chicken-in-a-can and Astronaut Ice Cream. And the most slapdash entree I've ever seen on this show.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Eh, I expect really awful poo poo to show up from time to time though I guess I do feel badly when people get really dumb poo poo like, say, cheetos.

I've never had chicken in a can though I imagine I'll try it someday just to say I tried it.

I had spam for the first time a couple of weeks ago and actually kinda liked it.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

Eh, I expect really awful poo poo to show up from time to time though I guess I do feel badly when people get really dumb poo poo like, say, cheetos.

I've never had chicken in a can though I imagine I'll try it someday just to say I tried it.

I had spam for the first time a couple of weeks ago and actually kinda liked it.
Spam is a fine product that gets more hate than it deserves.

Chicken-in-a-can is vile though. I'm amazed these guys are able to get any flavor out of it at all.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
By 'chicken in a can' are you guys referring to cubes of chopped chicken canned in water (like tuna), or an entire chicken in a can? If it's the latter, then that is definitely gross looking going by the pictures I've seen of it. :barf:

The chopped canned chicken in water isn't bad, but it's not great. It's probably best for chicken salad sandwiches since it doesn't have much of a flavor by itself.

Strange Matter posted:

Pan-fried SPAM is great on a sandwich with a little honey mustard on the bread, or stir-fried with some vegetables and rice.

Obeast fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 25, 2012

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

We got some "mesquite" version or something like that and pan-fried and it was yummy.

Spam was a no-no in my house since we kept kosher. The chicken in a can discussion reminds me a little of those whole hamburgers (bun and all) that you can get in a can. I don't think I'm brave enough to try that.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

We got some "mesquite" version or something like that and pan-fried and it was yummy.

Spam was a no-no in my house since we kept kosher. The chicken in a can discussion reminds me a little of those whole hamburgers (bun and all) that you can get in a can. I don't think I'm brave enough to try that.
It's exactly the same thing.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
The one on chopped is a whole canned chicken, and when the girl at work was giving me her chicken sandwich recipe, she said "it's in a jumbo can, right next to the whole canned chickens, but this is a whole shredded chicken.

Whatever she did with it, it was good but incredibly salty. And I love salty food.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Obeast posted:

By 'chicken in a can' are you guys referring to cubes of chopped chicken canned in water (like tuna), or an entire chicken in a can? If it's the latter, then that is definitely gross looking going by the pictures I've seen of it. :barf:

The chopped canned chicken in water isn't bad, but it's not great. It's probably best for chicken salad sandwiches since it doesn't have much of a flavor by itself.

Pan-fried SPAM is great on a sandwich with a little honey mustard on the bread, or stir-fried with some vegetables and rice.

The one I am most familiar with on the West Coast is in a red can and says ONE WHOLE CHICKEN. If you were going to make a stew then it is actually pretty good but if you have fresh chicken then of course use that instead.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Apparently canning chickens in giant mason jars was a legit farmhouse thing people used to do back before refrigeration was big. This is probably some product that dates back to that era and never stopped being made for some reason.

Those cans of cubed chicken meat are a little gross, but honestly they're no different from canned tuna. Pretty much indistinguishable if you hold your nose and try some.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Oh man this episode is also amazing. This woman is all smug at the judge's table and is like "Well I'm not Moriymoto's protege here..." and then presents a dish of messy ratatouille with missing ingredients and garlic peels left in it. And then she tries to smack talk the other contestants.

Chopped in the first round.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Strange Matter posted:

Chicken-in-a-can is vile though. I'm amazed these guys are able to get any flavor out of it at all.

Chicken in a can like this?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
That's the brand she told me to get! Super salty.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

PaganGoatPants posted:

Chicken in a can like this?

It looks like it just got unplugged from The Matrix.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Obeast posted:

A pacific islander friend of mine makes an amazing Spam onigiri.

IMHO in an age before Pink Slime was used in everything it was downright respectable that they were finding a use for the extra bits of meat that would otherwise just get thrown away.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I have to say, I've only eaten Spam once, and I was shocked at how good it was.

In high school, somewhere in the 90's, I had a good friend named Amanda, and at some point she mentioned eating Spam. I mocked her relentlessly for it, and one day a friend and I were going to stop by her house.

When we got there, she had made us Spam burgers. I was scared, but after one bite I finished the whole thing, and wished that there was more. It was really drat good.

I still haven't had the chutzpah to buy it and make it myself, because I'm worried that if I see the "before" product, I'd never want to eat it.

Sort of like how I grew up loving my mom's salmon patties, until I saw what the canned salmon she used looked like. Not I can't even dream of eating one.

I think I'm secretly pretentious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

criscodisco posted:

I think I'm secretly pretentious.

Pretentious, overly precious, take your pick.

It looks like this:

• Locked thread