Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Samu posted:

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-classic-cars-1978-Ford-Mustang-Cobra-II-Fastback-W0QQAdIdZ350157918

Is this a decent deal? It looks well restored and I want to buy a summer car. Plus I think Mustangs are awesome, but I have no idea what classic cars go for. Would there be any way to convert it to a manual transmission? How much would that cost? I'm going to go take it for a spin on Wednesday next week.

I had two of 'em. One in college in 1982 (with a bent frame) and one I bought at an auction in 1987...for $60. That's sixty dollars. US.

They were fun, 4sp, 4cyl. But junk otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The only thing good about the mustang II is the front suspension is good for bolting onto a hot rod. This is the only good thing.

Here is some real gold: Is $3,800 a good price for this. What does a convertible suicide door continental sell for?

Elephanthead fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Apr 19, 2012

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Ahh yes, the mustang II. Test drove one in high school with a friend. Did donuts in the school parking lot :allears: (it was an automatic)

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
Haha, thanks guys. I thought it seemed like a high price but I've just always really like of the looks of the pre 1980's Mustangs, I guess it's not worth checking out :(

It seems like it's not very fast, would guzzle gas... But that classic Mustang look is awesome. I think I'm going to try and get a Honda Shadow 750 or maybe a small convertible instead for a fun car. I was looking at a 1981 Alfa Romeo spider that's in great shape and just a very good looking car, but I hear Alfa's always break down and are unreliable. I'm still tempted though. Good/bad/terrible deal at 8500 for one in good shape? There's also a guy selling a 944 Turbo on Kijiji for 7 grand but he says in his ad no test drive just cash and buy... gently caress that.

What I really want ideally is a convertible that looks good, has a nice interior, is all right on gas and is fun to drive for ten grand or less. I want to take it on a 1500km road trip this summer and not have it break down and I don't want to drive it in the winter. Any suggestions? I'm thinking a Mazda Mx-5, 300 series BMW or an early 2000's Mustang convertible might be my best bet but I'm not sure yet.

Samu fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 19, 2012

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

mustang, motorcycle, alfa, turbo porsche, miata, BMW, back to a mustang...?
:psyduck:

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.

slidebite posted:

mustang, motorcycle, alfa, turbo porsche, miata, BMW, back to a mustang...?
:psyduck:

I can't make up my mind. I just got a huge tax return and I want a fun car :3: , And to be fair everything except the 944 is a convertible. :D

I have a truck for daily driving/shipping my tools around. Now I just want to either go fast or at least see the sky.

Samu fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 19, 2012

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
'Decent exterior'

Craigslist Gold posted:

96 toyota tercel custom car
Has 186,xxx
2 door
Decent shaped interior
5 speed manual( including reverse)
Decent exterior no major rust none that I've notice
Gas saver 40mpg
This car was my dads car for about two years them he passed it down to me
my lost is your gain recently bought a denali and no need for an extra car no room in the driveway for it
The car has clean title nothing wrong it, for a 96 its in pretty conditions
Car has been kept up to date with oil changes,last one was about two months ago
1800 obo not looking for trades!! Sold as is
651 373 27 33 FIRST COME FIRST SERVE NO HOLDS Ps have turn down offerce from 1500 -below

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Since my attempts to buy and SVT Focus continue to be foiled I am considering this car.

http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/cto/2963339929.html

I offered him $1800.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Samu posted:

I have a truck for daily driving/shipping my tools around.

You'd need that with a Mustang 2. I can't even remember how many of those turds we threw to the wrecking yard. The only non-complaint I have with those is the front suspension always seemed pretty tight on the few I drove to the wreckers.

edit: I can't really be one to talk though, I've been mulling over either a GT6 or Sonnet project car. I have a soft spot in my heart for "resto-modding" shitboxes. :3:

keykey fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 19, 2012

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Since my attempts to buy and SVT Focus continue to be foiled I am considering this car.

http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/cto/2963339929.html

I offered him $1800.

Pretty good find if the miles are really that low, but if they replaced the CPS already, I would find out why. It is also way overdue for a valve lash adjustment, and there is no mention of it being done. Still, $1800 wouldn't be a bad price.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Plek posted:

Pretty good find if the miles are really that low, but if they replaced the CPS already, I would find out why. It is also way overdue for a valve lash adjustment, and there is no mention of it being done. Still, $1800 wouldn't be a bad price.

I emailed him again with your questions, thank you much. I'm probably an idiot for wanting one of these but the "Must buy all limited edition Fords" part of me won't shut up.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Oh I get ya. They're a heap of fun when they work.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Plek posted:

Oh I get ya. They're a heap of fun when they work.

Gotta love that color as well.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Elephanthead posted:

Here is some real gold: Is $3,800 a good price for this. What does a convertible suicide door continental sell for?

Its not a terrible price, but just understand that convertible continental is a world of some suffering. Think multiple hydraulic pumps, relays, and 50 year old switches.
The pain points are documented, but know that they are still major pain points.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I have really been itching for a 3 ton convertible. I don't know what my best choice is. My theory is if it is a convertible, it isn't a performance car anyway, so why pretend. Go for a land yacht.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

Elephanthead posted:

My theory is if it is a convertible, it isn't a performance car anyway, so why pretend.

What a horrible theory.

Tongsy
Aug 22, 2007

Motronic posted:

1988 Nissan 300zx turbo SS race car that was one of Nissans X-World challenge series cars

730 HP. $12k

http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/cto/2906313493.html

$12k for a car that someone else (Nissan) holds the title to. Sounds like a fantastic idea to me

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Elephanthead posted:

My theory is if it is a convertible, it isn't a performance car anyway, so why pretend.

Really?

Monstertruck
Aug 13, 2011

Motronic posted:

Really?

Does a 308 count as a performance car? Or even a Ferrari?

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
^^^ :argh:

Motronic posted:

Really?

Well, to be fair, this one falls squarely into the "looks fast" category. I guess it was OK (not amazing) for the time at least. Still cool, but just sayin.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Samu posted:

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-classic-cars-1978-Ford-Mustang-Cobra-II-Fastback-W0QQAdIdZ350157918

Is this a decent deal? It looks well restored and I want to buy a summer car. Plus I think Mustangs are awesome, but I have no idea what classic cars go for. Would there be any way to convert it to a manual transmission? How much would that cost? I'm going to go take it for a spin on Wednesday next week.

I know it's been said, but no. If you're looking for a "fun" car, avoid anything from the mid - late '70s. These were the days of heavy land barges, terrible build quality, questionable styling (subjective, but a widely held opinion), and (most importantly) 140 hp big blocks. Dear God the latter half of the '70s was a horrible time to be a car enthusiast.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Monstertruck posted:

Does a 308 count as a performance car? Or even a Ferrari?

It was never a powerhouse, but a lightweight car with adequate suspension that put down a solid 200+ HP in the '70s certainly wasn't considered a slow car. It seems to have been bagged on mostly because 1.) it was being produced at a time when "fast" meant light to light and 2.) it was the least expensive model Ferrari produced.

Also see: Porsche 944

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Black88GTA posted:

I know it's been said, but no. If you're looking for a "fun" car, avoid anything from the mid - late '70s. These were the days of heavy land barges, terrible build quality, questionable styling (subjective, but a widely held opinion), and (most importantly) 140 hp big blocks. Dear God the latter half of the '70s was a horrible time to be a car enthusiast.

As someone who came of driving age at the time, I have to agree with this. It was a stylistic and performance wasteland with few exceptions.

STOPpre
Jun 15, 2009

I'd never sell to an overseas jerkoff either.

But who sends dead squirrels as retribution?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad
I think it takes a "common" man to have ready access to dead squirrels for mailing purposes. I thought I was relatively proficient and experienced with ebay/craigslist but I have clearly been bested by such a technique. Incredible.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Ha! He misspelled "minuscule"!

Also who wants to "JOY RIDE" in a Ford drat Probe?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Abominable! posted:

'Decent exterior'

But his lost is our gain!

Poor thing. Handed down from his dad to be ruined :smith:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Using this carsabi thing to present a slightly bigger thumbnail in the screenshot.
I wouldn't buy it at that price but it's cool nonetheless.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

The last of the shorty sportys, price is alright, seems clean, probably a good deal?

Well not really...I looked at this one last month. Aside from some cosmetic problems, the car had been in a pretty major accident that didn't show up on the carfax they provided me. If the repairs were competent, this wouldn't be such a big deal - but the repair welds around the strut mount had some decent rust and were flaking off, so I set up an ppi appointment to see how bad it was. Since the rest of the car was in pretty good shape compared to most of the others I've seen, I was hoping it was salvageable.

They flaked out on the ppi appointment and sent me an email claiming that their own mechanic took a look, found frame damage so severe that they didn't consider it safe for anyone to purchase, so were sending it right back to auction.

And now it's back, same price, same description, no warnings. Is there an easy way to report these assholes (dealership btw)?

krysmopompas fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 20, 2012

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.
3000gt sl Mitsus seem hard to find in stock form. This one's a V6 manual with 95k miles, $4k and purdy!

http://bn.craigslist.org/cto/2968374899.html

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MATLAB 1988 posted:

3000gt sl Mitsus seem hard to find in stock form. This one's a V6 manual with 95k miles, $4k and purdy!

That's because they are slow as poo poo from being heavy with inadequate suspension and having a 200 HP minivan motor in them. They needed a lot of help to be any fun, and being front wheel sure didn't help at all.

All show no go. It's not even in the same league as the very same same car in R/T twin turbo trim, which was a lot more than just a motor upgrade.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Motronic posted:

That's because they are slow as poo poo from being heavy with inadequate suspension and having a 200 HP minivan motor in them. They needed a lot of help to be any fun, and being front wheel sure didn't help at all.

All show no go. It's not even in the same league as the very same same car in R/T twin turbo trim, which was a lot more than just a motor upgrade.

What about 300zx, I've always though they were in the same class as the 3000GT? I'm only looking to spend a few grand and the thought of having the first 300zx out my friends is tempting to look into. Do they have Nissan's reputation like their other cars?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
A 300zx TT will move around pretty good..

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Lblitzer posted:

What about 300zx, I've always though they were in the same class as the 3000GT? I'm only looking to spend a few grand and the thought of having the first 300zx out my friends is tempting to look into. Do they have Nissan's reputation like their other cars?

I'd consider one of those from the same general time period to be a whole lot more fun than a poverty spec 3000GT.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Elephanthead posted:

I have really been itching for a 3 ton convertible. I don't know what my best choice is. My theory is if it is a convertible, it isn't a performance car anyway, so why pretend. Go for a land yacht.

As the owner of a 65 Deville convertible, I approve this message.

Tai-Pan is right, there is a lot that can go wrong, but that's a pretty great price for a restorable car. I have to assume (hope) that if they just threw new tires on it that it may even actually run.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Elephanthead posted:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

PainterofCrap posted:

Like he said. :smug:

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
There is not much else to see in the ad besides this gem:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Plek posted:

I got around to driving the car today and it's a blast, no shuddering when it shifts and there's barely a speck of rust on the car. Interior is wonderful for the age. He has only owned it a bit over a year so he doesn't know if the valve lash adjustment has been done. Mileage is accurate, the car appears to have been garaged most of it's life. The bad thing is it turns out the seller is an old friend of mine so I feel bad about low balling him. Regardless, if I can convince the girlfriend I'll probably own it by next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Well, arguably, that get the air from a _slightly_ cooler location...