Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canis Dufus
Sep 11, 2001

AzMiLion posted:

EDIT// holky gently caress that is amazing by the way. i saw the squid thing pop up on your mocpages page and i was wondering what that was going to be used for.

If you have a top-down sprite for the squid and alien things i might be able to huck em into the shooter engine i'm currently building in gamemaker, get a bit of a playable version of the thing.

WOuld also help me in getting motivated to rebuild the logic and classes in it, wich i still need to do!

DOUBLE EDIT// Link thats the engine i was working on. Looks like the last work i did on it was may last year. i really oughta finish it. but :effort:

I don't have a lot of time to create sprites for the squid right now, but feel free to use the sprites for the starfighters I posted earlier.

That shooter engine works pretty well! Took me a while to figure out how to shoot though (X and C on the keyboard) :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

djfooboo posted:

What a fabulous product name

The commercial for the K'nex Big Ball Factory was a mom yelling at her son because he stays up all night "cranking up the big balls, cranking up the big balls."

I can't find a video of it, but someone in the marketing department knew what they were doing.

Adregan
Oct 22, 2002

Good news fellows. My retail store has gotten a box of season 7 mini figures in and it's labeled "do not display until May 1st" so if you guys have the mini fig itch it won't be long before you can get your season 7. Now the real question stands if I should paw through them for all the good ones first.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Adregan posted:

Good news fellows. My retail store has gotten a box of season 7 mini figures in and it's labeled "do not display until May 1st" so if you guys have the mini fig itch it won't be long before you can get your season 7. Now the real question stands if I should paw through them for all the good ones first.

Fred Meyer stores in the northwest have had them out on shelves for a week or so. My local one had 6 boxes, 3 opened and 3 sealed. The opened ones were already pawed through and I really didn't feel like spending a half-hour getting my minimum two sets, so I just grabbed a sealed one. No BOGO50% coupon like for S6, though, just a 10% one.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Pyroclastic posted:

Fred Meyer stores in the northwest have had them out on shelves for a week or so. My local one had 6 boxes, 3 opened and 3 sealed. The opened ones were already pawed through and I really didn't feel like spending a half-hour getting my minimum two sets, so I just grabbed a sealed one. No BOGO50% coupon like for S6, though, just a 10% one.

I was pretty thrilled to see one opened and one unopened box at Fred Meyer yesterday, and the 10% off coupon was enough incentive to get 15 bags. I thought about just buying the box, but didn't feel like spending that much for figs I didn't want. Haven't had a chance to open the bags to check my luck yet though :sweatdrop:

Adregan
Oct 22, 2002

Pyroclastic posted:

I'm not surprised if stores put them out early to sell. It's not like its a new release movie where they could get in trouble for having them out early. I was more shocked that my local wal-mart had the Marvel Lego line already on the shelf. Still thinking of getting that wolverine chopper attack set.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Adregan posted:

I'm not surprised if stores put them out early to sell. It's not like its a new release movie where they could get in trouble for having them out early. I was more shocked that my local wal-mart had the Marvel Lego line already on the shelf. Still thinking of getting that wolverine chopper attack set.

Ordered mine from WM the other day (in violation of the "we might move soon" Lego embargo :ohdear:), though I haven't seen them in stores yet.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Saint Sputnik posted:

Ordered mine from WM the other day (in violation of the "we might move soon" Lego embargo :ohdear:), though I haven't seen them in stores yet.

Toys R Us by me had most of the new Marvel sets out. No S7 mini figs though, plenty of 5 and 6 though.

Arsenal_12
May 7, 2007

Adregan posted:

I actually found a box this morning at my local Toys R Us. Someone had already been there and taken all the Bunny Guys and Aztec Warriors. I managed to get 2 Space marines, a Bagpiper and a Black Knight. I'll probably hit up a few more this weekend, see if other TRUs have put them out yet.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

By Schmails
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31157752@N04/3248443462/in/set-72157613246075483/

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
So the Space Marine/Galaxy Patrol is really easy to find.

But if anything the Aztec Warrior is even easier, that headdress is huge and very unique. I really like the Rocker Girl, the Ocean King and the Viking ladies too. I might find it hard to not go back and pick a few more if I get time tomorrow.

"Look, I have full-face protection now!"
"I do feel much safer not looking at your face..."

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Mine GO BOOM posted:

I'm looking for lots and lots of base plates to attach to a wall. Instead of buying them in bulk from someone for $6-$12 each, does anyone know of a third party that makes large base plates that isn't complete crap? I'm looking to cover a large portion of a hallway with base plates that will have little scenes attached to them.

Sort of like this:

This. I want to do this. Please post if you find this out.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]
Who has any experience selling stuff on bricklink? A family friend was going to sell the 8455 tractor set (bought in europe years ago) on craigslist for a few bucks, but it looks like it could sell for much more online. The box is open, in fair condition, but all the pieces are still in sealed bags (except the bigger pieces like the tires and plow, but I doubt they were bagged in the first place).

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

InfinEight posted:

So the Space Marine/Galaxy Patrol is really easy to find.

But if anything the Aztec Warrior is even easier, that headdress is huge and very unique. I really like the Rocker Girl, the Ocean King and the Viking ladies too. I might find it hard to not go back and pick a few more if I get time tomorrow.

"Look, I have full-face protection now!"
"I do feel much safer not looking at your face..."

Does anyone want to trade five (5) goddam space marines for an Aztek or two and...anything else? I am apparently horrible at feeling and just grabbed 5 space marines thinking they were Azteks. :(

Albert Rosenfield
Mar 29, 2005
First time posting in this thread, but count me amongst those that have come out of the Dark Ages in a big way over the last year. I've spent way more money than I care to admit on Lego lately, but I've had an awesome time doing it. I've even started toying with some MOC stuff (mainly little Alien Conquest-style skiffs and missile platforms for the aliens, although I did do a huge Batwing landing pad due to that model's rather plain and flat underside), but I'm just really digging the sets themselves overall.

None of the stores in my area have gotten the S7 minifigures yet (I'm three hours away in every direction from an actual Lego store), but I had a question for those of you who have found the Space Marine: Does the helmet have the little divots in the side so a visor (like those on the Alien Conquest ADU/Space Police/Space in general) can be attached? I was thinking about adding several of the SM to my ADU soldiers as a "heavy trooper" kind of thing and had a ton of extra visor pieces.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Can't attach a visor.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

However, one side of the face has an orange HUD overlay so it's like it has a built-in visor!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I really want to see someone make some Earth Defense Force customs out of the ADU / space marines. I mean poo poo the ADU has blue helicopters and everything.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Instead of a visor you could use the solid black heads from scout troopers? Or another head colour if there are any?

Also I came to ask have they discontinued the little gold coins you got with the old pirate sets? Because I just saw the fairy tale minifig set on the official site and it appears the treasure chest is full of yellow studs :smith:

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Speaking of Alien Conquest....

from eurobricks. The detail on this is awesome and loads of fun.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Lofty132 posted:

Also I came to ask have they discontinued the little gold coins you got with the old pirate sets? Because I just saw the fairy tale minifig set on the official site and it appears the treasure chest is full of yellow studs :smith:

PotC has both and it was released after the fairy tale set: http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=4181-1

I'm not an expert on colours but the studs here look more gold than yellow as well. Pharoah's quest has a lot of gold pieces and they have a slightly different feel and texture to regular pieces. I don't know what that's all about.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

They changed the font on the coins! :aaa:

e: and that boat is brown instead of red!

My childhood!

e: and that's a really weird burp. surp?

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
Even though the box shows chromed gold on the POTC sets, they put in pearl gold which sucked. If you called and complained they would send you the pieces in the proper chromed gold look that was on the front of the box.

That alien conquest train looks like way too much fun. It really does fit into the theme of 1950's aliens using a train.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
Holy crap are Toys R Us prices ridiculous.
I was there yesterday to grab a few S7 and browse the sets a bit while I was at it.
I noticed that little Catwoman motorcycle set is 17 loving dollars. I'm just glad I never buy sets there, though I do worry about how expensive Monster Fighters will be.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Gravy Jones posted:

PotC has both and it was released after the fairy tale set: http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=4181-1

That's the first PotC lego set I've seen that I liked.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Sockser posted:

e: and that boat is brown instead of red!

Brown Lego boats aren't new.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Arnold of Soissons posted:

That's the first PotC lego set I've seen that I liked.
You must have never seen Cannibal Escape and Queen Anne's Revenge, then.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Joramun posted:

You must have never seen Cannibal Escape and Queen Anne's Revenge, then.
Is it bad that when I googled Cannibal Escape and the first thing I thought was, "OH MAN! the awesome Mech I could make using them cage pieces.(the parts that are now used for fingers in all the mechs).

I liked the London Escape(got it 75% off) but more just because it was neat not because of any POTCness about it. To be fair, in general I'm not a fan of licensed Lego.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

RodShaft posted:

(the parts that are now used for fingers in all the mechs).

Even Lex Luther's Robot uses them!

Which is an awesome set and everyone should buy it, BTW.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

I have a terrible want, and thought you might want to share in it as well.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Yes, but where do I get it?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

The Mill wheel set looked pretty good to me too. Too bad I didn't pick it up.

^^ Click!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

:argh: I'm an idiot!

The_Doctor posted:

Yes, but where do I get it?
Reverse GIS says:

http://www.redbubble.com/people/rigg/works/534765-space-lego?p=t-shirt

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.
So, Legoons, what would you do if you were me?

In the large tubs of LEGO I purchased months ago, I found the light bluish gray doors that make up a small but expensive part of the Market Street and Cafe Corner sets.

One of the doors retails for $30-60, while the other is $6-15. I could list them on eBay and take a quick $40 or so for my trouble.

Or, I could double down and try to assemble one of the two modular buildings. Neither will be cheap, and will likely cost me a couple hundred dollars to complete. I have a lot of bricks, but absolutely none of the specific rare bricks these will require apart from the doors. However, once assembled, I could turn it around for somewhere in the neighborhood of $650.

What would you do? Sell the doors? Acquire and assemble the Cafe Corner? Or do the same for the Market Street? Which of the two would be more expensive to attempt to assemble from Bricklink?

Help me LEGO goons, you're my only hope.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

einTier posted:

Help me LEGO goons, you're my only hope.

Honestly you don't have the instruction books for either of them and that will make them harder to sell on bricklink even if you have ever part right. That said, if you can fully assemble cafe corner with all the propre bricks you will be able to sell it for $600-700 but the roof/arch/second floor windows are all going to run you up. Sets with multiple rare parts are getting harder to bricklink out. On eurobricks someone went to the effort to part out a UCS Millennium Falcon and he spent around $1200. You can buy a used one for the same price, so except for the fun and adventure of parting it out cost wise it didn't make it worth it.

I did replicate a cafe corner minus all the rare parts and it still ran around $280, if I wanted the other parts it would of been another $50 just for the door and arch, about $50 for the roof and the windows will cost you another $100 and they are now the hardest to find in the quanity you need there is only enough on bricklink now to make 2 cafe corners until someone puts up more.

So is all the work you would go through to replicate a cafe corner worth it for about $150-200 at the high end? If you really want to build the set and display it for a while sure. Money wise I am sure your time could be better spent if you won't enjoy doing it.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Merchant of Death posted:

So is all the work you would go through to replicate a cafe corner worth it for about $150-200 at the high end? If you really want to build the set and display it for a while sure. Money wise I am sure your time could be better spent if you won't enjoy doing it.
I don't know about Cafe Corner. I'm thinking that Market Street is probably the more doable of the two. It's significantly less parts and the instructions are available on line.

Near as I can tell, the rare pieces will be the dark blue pieces, the minifigs, and the white hoses. The 1x4 blue bricks are likely going to cost me $50. The dark blue arches are $20 each (!!) and I'll need five, so another $100. The white hoses are also $15, and I need four ($60). The figures will be about $15, but let's call it $20. The baseplate is about $5. That brings me up to $235. The rest seems to all be standard pieces, but I know from doing this in the past, it will likely cost me $150 or so. That gets me close to $400.

Throw in the doors, and you seem right. It's probably $200 or so that I'm actually going to see out of this. Worse, it's a huge risk, as once you start, you really have to go all the way, regardless of cost. I might spend the time and break even. I don't think so, but it is possible.

I will say though that I've sold several kits on eBay without "real" instructions. It seems that as long as the instructions are available by pdf or something similar, the price isn't dinged too hard. Of course, with these instructions costing $150+, that might change. Hmmm.

Fusillade
Mar 31, 2012

...and her

BIG FAT BASS
This thread was one of the first that I pored over when I first got an account. There's a lot of nice stuff in here! I'm attaching a few MOCs here, as well as links to larger versions of themselves. On dA. :negative:

My first cludgy, over-excited attempt to make a car modelled after an existing make and model. It is not a good replica.

http://heatherbeast.deviantart.com/art/LEGO-BMW-Z4-Roadster-125041379

The Hindenburg Disaster, however, is a bit more recognizable:

http://heatherbeast.deviantart.com/art/LEGO-Hindenburg-Disaster-75346800

And then, the mosaics started. This one nabbed me second place in the traditional art category for BMW's Oktoberfest. :3:

http://heatherbeast.deviantart.com/art/BMW-M3-E30-LEGO-Mosaic-260257617

For those of you who are fans of Andy Warhol...

http://heatherbeast.deviantart.com/art/Andy-Warhol-Marilyn-Tryptich-LEGO-Mosaic-297891182

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

einTier posted:

Worse, it's a huge risk, as once you start, you really have to go all the way, regardless of cost. I might spend the time and break even. I don't think so, but it is possible.

Like I said, if you want to build the models and enjoy them then sell them later it isn't a bad idea.

When I bricklink to build a set I usually look at its price vs what it will cost me to do it, and then if I even care if a hidden part you can't see is the proper colour etc. If I tried to keep my BL Cafe Corner 100% authentic it would of cost me about $450 without the instruction manual at the time. Instead I saved over $150 replaced the parts with something close but not exact and it looked pretty good and I enjoyed it. I wouldn't of enjoyed it anymore if I had spent the extra money and hassel getting the exact parts.

Cafe Corner is also fairly disapointing to build after you have done the other modulars it's interior is just non existant and it makes the build simpler. Anything neat about the build you can see it right from the get go on the exterior.

I am currently doing a UCS Snowspeeder which is around $450 on BL, and I did it for half that and the only real major changes were I got rid of the orange and changed it to red and the smoke windscreen I changed to transparent using a different window and modified canopy to hold it.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Fusillade posted:

For those of you who are fans of Andy Warhol...

http://heatherbeast.deviantart.com/art/Andy-Warhol-Marilyn-Tryptich-LEGO-Mosaic-297891182

As a huge Warhol fan, this loving rules.

I'm tempted to assemble one and leave it at his grave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH
My mother in law sent me this the other day - apparently these youngsters have been tearing up the bluegrass charts for the last few months. Of course that's not why I'm posting it in THIS thread :haw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7MoWPTeYS4