Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

gokuesque posted:

Some nerds somewhere were saying that Yogventures is a terrible name/branding for a game, mostly because it doesn't promise a game in its own right, but rather some medium for the brand. After thinking about it, I feel like that kickstarter (A kickstarter for an improved version of minecraft with much better tools and more content) should be doing a LOT better, especially with backing from people with lots of subscribers.

It is kind of a bad name.

I feel like the Yogscast coul've inserted their brand (Had their models, joffo cakes, etc) in the game without making the entire game a brand. I feel that it's holding a lot of people back who aren't sure if they're getting a full game or a yogscast theme park. I don't think it'll be a theme park but I can see how the pitch might turn some people off.

It's a pretty dodgy project. A kickstarter for two guys who make minecraft videos to pay some indie devs to make them a minecraft clone.

If I was more cynical, I'd say that this is the one to watch for an inevitable explosion and shitstorm when it doesn't deliver in time / at all and people start wanting their money back.

Mojo Jojo fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Apr 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milfay
Jun 9, 2006

Mojo Jojo posted:

It's a pretty dodgy project. A kickstarter for two guys who make minecraft videos to pay some indie devs to make them a minecraft clone.

If I was more cynical, I'd say that this the one to watch for an inevitable explosion and shitstorm when it doesn't deliver in time / at all and people start wanting their money back.

If it's anything like this project http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/zioneyez/eyeztm-by-zioneyez-hd-video-recording-glasses-for they can miss their promised delivery by a year and have their only contact be one update a year later promising they're totally still working on it and nothing will really happen.

Then again the Yogventures guys have a bigger internet following to protect so they'll probably put something out even if it is terrible.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Milfay posted:

If it's anything like this project http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/zioneyez/eyeztm-by-zioneyez-hd-video-recording-glasses-for they can miss their promised delivery by a year and have their only contact be one update a year later promising they're totally still working on it and nothing will really happen.

Then again the Yogventures guys have a bigger internet following to protect so they'll probably put something out even if it is terrible.

They've had a few updates this year, but yeah, those are some unhappy backers. Looks like there's no real push to actually get their money back though.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

particle409 posted:

I'm not sure if this interests people, but I'm backing a smaller game that is supposedly influenced by Puzzle Quest. The developer released a raw demo, which was fairly reassuring in terms of gameplay. You can get it on their kickstarter page.

They're almost a third of the way there, at $3,584 out of $15,000, with about 3 weeks to go.

Match and Magic
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1217383590/match-and-magic?ref=live

:siren: Fake phone call spotted! :siren:

The game looks alright I guess. I dunno.

Karpaw
Oct 29, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Some ex-LucasArts guy wants to make a space combat sim. He apparently had the brilliant idea of introducing crowdfunded launch DLC but...

quote:

We've received a lot of negative comments about the launch DLC and want you to know we're listening and wanting to set this right. We are integrating the two fighters and deleted mission into the game and will not do Launch DLC for this game. And I promise never to do Launch DLC again. Ever.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
He's smart. Also

Karpaw posted:

Some ex-LucasArts guy wants to make a space combat sim. He apparently had the brilliant idea of introducing crowdfunded launch DLC but...

Faaake phone caaaaall. Why is this in so many drat pitch videos?

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

He's smart. Also

Faaake phone caaaaall. Why is this in so many drat pitch videos?

I'm waiting for them to go all the way and have fake telegraph conversations.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Quarex posted:

I do feel better about it costing $150 now that I know it is, in fact, basically a Smart Watch. Of the sort promised in the 1980s but never really followed up on. Hey, I can get behind that!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_Personal_Objects_Technology

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Karpaw posted:

Aww, their video with the kid is both adorable and awkward. I've heard of this one before, but I'm not particularly interested in this kind of game. I guess I'll chip in if it's obvious in the final days that it's going to fail.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

Megalixir posted:

Personally I dislike this idea, it takes a little something away from "Hey guys, here's my page. I'm making thing. Thing's gonna be awesome, because this." and just shoves stats in your face instead.

Is finding out what the daily pledging total is actually going to help people in deciding whether they should also pledge?

You do know that Kickstarter didn't make and don't own Kicktraq, and that it's not trying to be some sort of weird alternative to Kickstarter or that nobody would ever say "Hey, back my project!" and then link to Kicktraq page of their Kickstarter project, right? It's just a stats tracking page. People like numbers and graphs and stuff.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

That Match and Magic looks decent. It's nice to see them sitting on a reasonably far along version of the game, and everybody loved Puzzle Quest.

Tufty posted:

You do know that Kickstarter didn't make and don't own Kicktraq, and that it's not trying to be some sort of weird alternative to Kickstarter or that nobody would ever say "Hey, back my project!" and then link to Kicktraq page of their Kickstarter project, right? It's just a stats tracking page. People like numbers and graphs and stuff.

I loving love the graphs.

Mq
Jul 7, 2005
Lazy fat bastard
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1684781151/legends-of-eisenwald

Hey, this one doesn't have a fake call. Instead, well...

Their video is all kinds of adorable :3: Game itself looks King's Bounty-ish and potentially alright.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Milfay posted:

Is there a reason we never got a sequel for No One Lives Forever? It was a highly regarded franchise in a popular genre and nothings happened for ten years. It looks like the original developer is even still around. If someone did a kickstarter to test interest like the hardcore tactical shooter project I think it would attract a lot of attention.

We did get a sequel, No-One Lives Forever 2: A Spy In HARM's Way, which was pretty good but not, I think, as good as the original, as well as a spinoff, Contract JACK.

Then Monolith was bought by Warner Brothers and appears to have been doing nothing but FEAR-related stuff since.

Quarex posted:

I just read an article about this, that includes some speculation that they may have been picked up by a publisher.

I am not sure which way to go with this--assume that this is the most hilarious suggestion ever because no, they cancelled it because they knew they were going to fail--or that it means publishers have been trying to snatch up every Kickstarter game that picks up any traction, and this is just the first game to take the bait?

This wouldn't surprise me in the least. Brian Fargo mentioned that as soon as the Wasteland 2 kickstarter picked up he started getting calls from the same publishers who had originally dismissed it wanting to fund it/distribute it/market it/etc (in exchange for a cut of the profits, of course).

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!

Milfay posted:

Wow, I have to admit I don't feel all that bad for those backers. They put up at least $150 for a product that's just unlikely to happen. Those glasses will certainly come in the future, but I doubt a couple of no-name guys can get that sort of sophisticated electronics off the ground. They originally wanted just $55k. What were they going to do with that? You can't build a prototype video camera for $55k, much less one that fits inside a pair of glasses.

At least with these games it's a minimal investment for the final product, and most of them have established names/IP's attached.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

ToxicFrog posted:

We did get a sequel, No-One Lives Forever 2: A Spy In HARM's Way, which was pretty good but not, I think, as good as the original, as well as a spinoff, Contract JACK.

Contract JACK was quite possibly the most disappointing game I've ever played. I think it was even a worse step down in quality than Blood to Blood 2.

ToxicFrog posted:

Then Monolith was bought by Warner Brothers and appears to have been doing nothing but FEAR-related stuff since.

The first FEAR and the Condemned series owns though so I'm okay with that. And then...Gotham City Imposters.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Mq posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1684781151/legends-of-eisenwald

Hey, this one doesn't have a fake call. Instead, well...

Their video is all kinds of adorable :3: Game itself looks King's Bounty-ish and potentially alright.

I looks kind of like a combination of Mount And Blade and King's Bounty, except it somehow doesn't look fun.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

ToxicFrog posted:

No now they make "Gotham City Imposters", a licensed CoD/TF2 clone with DLC that is pretty much the opposite of No One Lives Forever.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Woah, I'm all for a Puzzle Quest-like game. It also looks almost finished. Thanks for the info.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Mq posted:

I think they could use a stronger pitch. CraftStudio, which has a similar premise, is made by two guys in a basement but they already have a working prototype and very strong pitch that gives you a good idea what the end product will be. I kinda wish their project wold pick up more traction since it seems very neat.

A middling idea with a poor pitch with lots of publicity will always win over a good idea with a good pitch but little publicity.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Hey, neat! Let me go back in time and pick one of these up.

Yodzilla posted:

The first FEAR and the Condemned series owns though so I'm okay with that.
Condemned series? Yeah, I heard something about Condemned 2, but since it did not come out on PC, it functionally does not exist :colbert:

Stupid first game, being so fun

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Just when I thought that Tortured Hearts project couldn't get any more depressing:

quote:

I want to thank everyone who was a backer. In these last days, it does not seem possible that we can make our goal, but there is still a way to help this project move forward so that it has a better chance of succeeding later. That is to mention it (discreetly, no spamming please) on any forums you may belong to, either of specific games, or game news sites. It does bring traffic. And it does bring attention and that is the big point. Please consider helping out once more by each one trying to reach one more person.

Thanks,

Lenore

:smith:

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
They've said they're going to make an actual demo using their own money and then try kickstarter again at a later date. I really hope it works out for them. :smith:

Edit: "Tortured Hearts" is turning out to be a sadly appropriate title.

AntiPseudonym
Apr 1, 2007
I EAT BABIES

:dukedog:

Urdnot Fire posted:

Just when I thought that Tortured Hearts project couldn't get any more depressing:

:smith:

Right that cinches it, I threw $20 her way.

C'mon guys, if we all pitch in we might make an old gamer lady happy! :unsmith:

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

I might as well double my pledge. It's unlikely I'll pay it anyway, but any promised bit of interest helps, I'm sure. :unsmith:

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Condemned is on Gamersgate's free service in case people want to try it out.

http://www.gamersgate.com/FG-COND/condemned-criminal-origins

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Urdnot Fire posted:

Oh jeez. I gave them ten bucks as a show of support.

I think I'll write a post and urge them to downscale to a storybook.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

I upped my pledge quite a bit and got this email.

Lenore Hoehl posted:

Thanks for increasing your pledge!

Lenore

I'm not sure whether to feel :smith: or :unsmith: about this.

AntiPseudonym
Apr 1, 2007
I EAT BABIES

:dukedog:

Urdnot Fire posted:

I might as well double my pledge. It's unlikely I'll pay it anyway, but any promised bit of interest helps, I'm sure. :unsmith:

Yeah, I upped mine to $50. And she's not sending out form letters, she sent me a "Ooh, thanks again!" message. :unsmith:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Not a game, but game-related. Wayside Creations who made the Fallout fan film and online series Fallout: Nuka Break is asking for $60,000 so that they can make the second season. Ends June 17.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqZ4izpmRLs

You can watch the entire original fan film and season 1 of the series on Youtube.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I guess none of the money they're asking for goes towards profit, but isn't it kind of a shaky legal premise to crowdfund something that's based on an actual IP? I assume Bethesda could tell them to stuff it if they really wanted to.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Chris Avellone supports it though and I don't think he'd support people who could get in trouble with Bethesda over something like that, but that could just be me. Zenimax very well could probably shut it down.

While it would be seen as douchey, I doubt a big enough portion of their customer base would care.

Adn this is why Copyright laws probably should change.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Hakkesshu posted:

I guess none of the money they're asking for goes towards profit, but isn't it kind of a shaky legal premise to crowdfund something that's based on an actual IP? I assume Bethesda could tell them to stuff it if they really wanted to.

Yes, this is what happened between NBC and the guy who tried to Kickstart an Inspector Spacetime web series (oh by the way, that's a thing and it's loving terrible, yep).

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Karpaw posted:

A developer that listens to the fans, and wants to make my favorite kinda game? Why not :) Money provided!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

The MSJ posted:

Not a game, but game-related. Wayside Creations who made the Fallout fan film and online series Fallout: Nuka Break

How much do I have to donate to keep this from happening?

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Al! posted:

How much do I have to donate to keep this from happening?

Come on, it wasn't that bad. I actually thought it was pretty good for a fan film.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Mordaedil posted:

Chris Avellone supports it though and I don't think he'd support people who could get in trouble with Bethesda over something like that, but that could just be me. Zenimax very well could probably shut it down.

While it would be seen as douchey, I doubt a big enough portion of their customer base would care.

Chris Avellone's a great guy, but he's also not a lawyer, so who knows. And Bethesda/Zenimax are colossal douchebags, although they aren't as lawsuit-happy as Blizzard. I could see it going either way.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Tufty posted:

It's like appshopper for iOS games. Track numbers over time that the main site only shows current values for.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Well, bugger, I just put down money on Tortured Hearts. I really can't imagine it reaching its goal, but my Mother always told me to help a lady in need. The project doesn't look terrible or anything either.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Saoshyant posted:

Well, bugger, I just put down money on Tortured Hearts. I really can't imagine it reaching its goal, but my Mother always told me to help a lady in need. The project doesn't look terrible or anything either.

I got to agree. Some of the flavor conversations look to be actually pretty well done. The whole thing seems interesting enough.

I didn't donate money (because I don't want my record to show I backed a failed project, I only pick winners thank you very much) but I did send her a nice message through kickstarter. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Karpaw posted:

Using a knock off version of the U.S. Airforce logo for a commercial project doesn't seem like such a brilliant idea either. But is this game going to have actual space physics like I-war had or is it going to stick with the way Wing Commander and X-wing handled flying in space?

And it doesn't surprise me that Tortured Hearts isn't really gaining that much support since pointing out that RPGs are full of clichés isn't really a new or interesting insight. A lot of gamers are probably already aware that RPGs are full of clichés and either still enjoy them because of those clichés or despite of them.

Maybe they have some brilliant concept for 'Discworld the Videogame' but the video pitch doesn't really tell me anything about the game, its setting, the characters or anything else that might be interesting besides the fact that they're going to make fun of RPG clichés and that they have uninteresting bullet points like the game has 200 areas, 500 NPCs, 100 quests etc...