Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

alpha_destroy posted:

I have a question for you guys.

I am taking a bioethics class right now. One of my assignments I have to watch a movie with bio-ethical implications and write a paper on it.

I could just bullshit a paper on a movie I've seen, but there is no fun in that. So can you guys suggest a movie on netflix with bio-ethical implications? Don't feel the need to explain said implications in an epistle, I do not need help on the actual homework, I am asking advice primarily because I want to use this opportunity to watch a kick-rear end movie I have never seen.

Planet of the Apes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.
Titan A.E.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

OK Octopus posted:

I love every single element of this post. I'm not even exaggerating here. Every bit of it makes me feel fuzzy inside.

Also, how about Edward Scissorhands? You've got that whole thing about making a new lifeform, plus the pros and cons of sculpting him in your individual image.

Also: Human Centipede.

Edward Scissorhands was great. Although that would be an interesting topic. Also I don't think I have the stomach for Human Centipede.

quote:

I would go for it as long as you don't have to do presentations on the reports or anything. God knows there are enough reactionary idiots who think watching the movie makes them experts on agrobusiness, and making more isn't something I'd want to do.

Don't worry, I am not egotistical to think watching a documentary makes me an expert. Although it seems like vocal minority of philosophy students do :(

Thanks for all the suggestions by the way. I will probably watch all these eventually, although Repo is looking at me crossways. I might have to make a run at that one.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

alpha_destroy posted:

Thanks for all the suggestions by the way. I will probably watch all these eventually, although Repo is looking at me crossways. I might have to make a run at that one.

It was weird and ambitious and had potential, but as much as I enjoy musicals AND dystopian sci-fi, even I can't call it a good movie. It also tried too hard to create this Rocky Horror-style cult following. But Anthony Stewart Head is awesome in it (as always), and his performance in Repo makes you wish Tim Burton had cast him as Sweeney Todd instead of Johnny Depp.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

alpha_destroy posted:

I have a question for you guys.

I am taking a bioethics class right now. One of my assignments I have to watch a movie with bio-ethical implications and write a paper on it.

I could just bullshit a paper on a movie I've seen, but there is no fun in that. So can you guys suggest a movie on netflix with bio-ethical implications? Don't feel the need to explain said implications in an epistle, I do not need help on the actual homework, I am asking advice primarily because I want to use this opportunity to watch a kick-rear end movie I have never seen.

There is a documentary up on Instant now called Nobody's Perfect which is about people who were born with physical defects from thalidomide. I haven't seen it, but it might fulfill your criteria.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

mds2 posted:

I watched it the other night. Complete waste of time. Gross for the sake of being gross and that wears thin very quickly. Filmed poorly, no plot, lovely fx. No pun intended.

re: Human Centipede II. The first 20+ minutes wasn't bad. It set up the character well and the acting by Laurence Harvey (Martin) was decent but during the middle act everything started to drag (I took several breaks). I still have a 20 minutes to go. It just got the "good" part. :3:

:chef:

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
I saw that Rango popped up recently, so I gave it a watch tonight. As the reviews I read eluded to, it's definitely not the flavor-of-the-month lovely CG kids' movie that the previews originally made it out to be. I highly recommend giving it a chance if you enjoy Chuck Jones-era Looney Tunes, old Westerns, or just good CG animation in general.

E: Also, I'm mid-way through the second (and final) season of Dollhouse and it's a loving crime that that series was canceled. I think the last time I was this engaged in a show was when I made my way through Breaking Bad a while back.

Devil Wears Wings has a new favorite as of 05:30 on Apr 19, 2012

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Anyone got some good scifi reccomendations? Like the Blade Runner/Scanner Darkly dystopian future or with cool tech kind of scifi.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

jojoinnit posted:

Anyone got some good scifi reccomendations? Like the Blade Runner/Scanner Darkly dystopian future or with cool tech kind of scifi.

The sci-fi streaming selection is kind of weak but check out the new Battlestar Galactica show if you haven't seen it already.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Flippycunt posted:

The sci-fi streaming selection is kind of weak but check out the new Battlestar Galactica show if you haven't seen it already.

Thats a shame. I don't really enjoy scifi television, but love the movies.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

jojoinnit posted:

Recently re-watched Pitch Black. Fun enough sci-fi movie, and it has Vin Diesel so it's win-win.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax
The Michael Rappaport movie "Special" is on instant. It is vaguely science-fiction, and a pretty good movie all around.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

kazil posted:

Recently re-watched Pitch Black. Fun enough sci-fi movie, and it has Vin Diesel so it's win-win.

I just went through the whole Sci-Fi & Fantasy section and it wasn't listed. :mad:
Found it by searching, thanks. I don't know why they did it but I just found out searching for something not available in instant will no longer give suggestions for similar movies, it just doesn't show up in search results. What a shame.

I also added Demolition Man which I saw years ago and remember being decent fun, and Aeon Flux which had a good enough description that I put it in my queue. It sounds familiar, like it was originally a video game or tv series, but I just hope the movies decent.

I was really in the mood for something futuristic and fun like Minority Report or so. I can't believe that between Netflix, Hulu Plus and Crackle, there wasn't a single film I had in mind to see that was available.

jojoinnit has a new favorite as of 06:14 on Apr 19, 2012

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

jojoinnit posted:

Your loss, its pretty good and grim as gently caress. It's definitely no Star Trek, thats for sure.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

jojoinnit posted:

Aeon Flux which had a good enough description that I put it in my queue. It sounds familiar, like it was originally a video game or tv series, but I just hope the movies decent.

Noooooo. :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C6on_Flux_(film)#Release_and_reaction

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

jojoinnit posted:

The pilot is pretty much a movie on its own, even if you decide to not follow the rest of the series it can't hurt to give it a shot.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

jojoinnit posted:

Serenity is on view instantly, it's pretty entertaining sci-fi/western mashup.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

jojoinnit posted:

Dark City is quite good.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Inzombiac posted:

Dark City is quite good.

No, Dark City if loving brilliant.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Crowley posted:

No, Dark City if loving brilliant.

It would have been brilliant if it had ended much sooner.

Specifically right after he realizes they are flying through space.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I like Dark City, especially because all the bad guys looked like Billy Corgan. But I wouldn't go calling it a great movie or anything.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

cornface posted:

The Michael Rappaport movie "Special" is on instant. It is vaguely science-fiction, and a pretty good movie all around.

Just watched this for the millionth time last night. It's absolutely stellar.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Buddy of mine just started a Netflix blog. Here's the Top 10 Stoner Movies on Netflix in honor of 4/20

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

Flippycunt posted:

If I am remembering this correctly, stop watching it after season 2.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Sham I Am posted:

Not necessarily. Season 3 (everything after the escape from New Caprica, anyway) is pretty weak, but the payoff is very much worth it and the 4th season is actually my favorite out of all of them.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sham I Am posted:

I never tell anybody to stop watching a show after an arbitrary cutoff point, but after season 2 it goes from "sci-fi adventure influenced by post-9/11 fears" to "THIS IS LITERALLY THE IRAQI OCCUPATION ONLY WE'RE THE IRAQIS, SO FUKKEN DEEP MAN :awesomelon::hf:" to getting lost up its own metaphysical rear end in a top hat over the course of about 6 episodes and never looks back. It basically becomes an entirely different show.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

cornface posted:

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Just watched this for the millionth time last night. It's absolutely stellar.

I'll third this sentiment. I watched it not having any idea what it would be, just because I like Michael Rapaport, and I was really surprised. It's very funny, sometimes sad, and just one of those weird off-beat movies that I end up being very happy that I watched.

Speaking of "off-beat" movies, Netflix suggested A Clockwork Orange to me as a "quirky" movie.. I can't imagine how upsetting it would be to expect a quirky, silly movie and get A-loving-Clockwork Orange. Rape! Murder! Quirks!

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Sham I Am posted:

Yeah you've got that wrong, it's worth watching all the way through.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Season 1 of Bob's Burgers is on Netflix instant now. The commercials were horrible and I know some people didn't like the pilot, but it's a pretty funny animated sitcom that doesn't sink into the "dumb dad/attractive wife/oblivious kids/thing that shouldn't be able to talk but does" tropes of every other network cartoon or being hateful to its characters or preachy.

Plus it has a lot of carryover from the staff of Home Movies. Ollie and Andy are pretty much Walter and Perry with different voice actors.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Oh man the TV spots for that show looked horrible then I caught an episode and loved it. Glad to hear it's on netflix now.

As for Special, while I wouldn't say it was an amazing movie, it is definitely great and worth a watch,

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Farbtoner posted:

Season 1 of Bob's Burgers is on Netflix instant now. The commercials were horrible and I know some people didn't like the pilot, but it's a pretty funny animated sitcom that doesn't sink into the "dumb dad/attractive wife/oblivious kids/thing that shouldn't be able to talk but does" tropes of every other network cartoon or being hateful to its characters or preachy.

Plus it has a lot of carryover from the staff of Home Movies. Ollie and Andy are pretty much Walter and Perry with different voice actors.

Thanks for the tip. I'll watch anything starring H. Jon Benjamin.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Drunk Tomato posted:

Thanks for the tip. I'll watch anything starring H. Jon Benjamin.

Have you seen Jon Benjamin Has a Van?

Because it is a glaring exception to that rule.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
Awesome. I love Bob's Burgers!

Prof. Numbers
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a genius! *ow*

wormil posted:

Way back someone recommended Better Off Ted, I finally watched the first several episodes and I'm hooked. I haven't laughed so hard in awhile.

I was hooked when I saw episode 5. Linda & Veronica really make the show for me, so I also like S2E10.

"It'll be as easy as throwing a bagel through a vent!"

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So I've been digging The Universe to fall asleep to, watched Ted Talks 10 things you didn't now about orgasms, and just got done watching Nova's Becoming Human.

Any recommendations along these lines?

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

Volume posted:

So I've been digging The Universe to fall asleep to, watched Ted Talks 10 things you didn't now about orgasms, and just got done watching Nova's Becoming Human.

Any recommendations along these lines?
How's It Made

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Based on this thread, I watched Flash Point (Not the TV show, Flashpoint) and I was pretty underwhelmed. It wasn't until about half-way through the movie that I had any idea what was going on BUT the last fight scene was pretty stellar.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Inzombiac posted:

Based on this thread, I watched Flash Point (Not the TV show, Flashpoint) and I was pretty underwhelmed. It wasn't until about half-way through the movie that I had any idea what was going on BUT the last fight scene was pretty stellar.

Watched it due to the .gif thread last night, eh, some good action but other than that a pretty dull movie with a terrible plot.

MacGowans Teeth
Aug 13, 2003

Liku posted:

Watched it due to the .gif thread last night, eh, some good action but other than that a pretty dull movie with a terrible plot.

If you're watching a Donnie Yen movie for the plot, you're doing it wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Jeff Wiiver posted:

How's It Made

I'm usually a pretty picky guy, but I can't find a single fault with this program. Maybe I'm just a sucker for "inside looks" at how skiis, bowling pins, tractors, and chewing gum are made.

If you haven't already done so, try a random episode.

• Locked thread