Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

SerCypher posted:

I have basically no experience doing games online, but I would love to try one. That's the only thing stopping me from GMing one myself, I have no real idea of where even to begin.

So yeah I'm all on board if you decide to do one.

That might actually be pretty fun. When would you be looking to do this? My weekends end up pretty commited. (GMT)

(Also I'd like to get my hand on the client and see how it feels)

ShineDog fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Apr 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Tias posted:

I'm going to attempt GM'ing an IRC game later this year, and have (I think) 3 players, room for one or two if you can handle me noobing out and the pace lagging slightly :)

With regards to the above, I'd appreciate it if people could either email or PM me if they're interested. I don't always spend a lot of time in the forums, though people are welcome to join in. I'm a relatively green Shadowrun GM, so I will probably set a player cap at 5 or 6 runners.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

ShineDog posted:

That might actually be pretty fun. When would you be looking to do this? My weekends end up pretty commited. (GMT)

(Also I'd like to get my hand on the client and see how it feels)

Well it looks like GreyHunter is willing to do it, we'll just have to deal with timezones.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I would love to join too just to relive the snes nostalgia. I'm GMT -5

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Shall I start up a recruiting thread so as not to clutter this up?

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

Grey Hunter posted:

However you want to roll it. I am already making a character, hah. Hopefully it's 400bp.

Blooshoo
May 15, 2004
I'm a newbie

Grey Hunter posted:

Either way I'm up for this! the only really bad nights for me are Friday and Thursday. Tuesday and Wednesday are the best since I already get those off and won't have to argue with my boss to get other nights off :) -5 GMT (est time)

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
I'm a horrible person and always game to try and play shadowrun. Even though the last 5 threads I've been in have died HORRIBLY.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Right, here is the recruitment thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3479919

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

I made my way over here from the Kickstarter thread. Just noting that I'd also be down for a Shadowrun PbP or IRC deal. I haven't played Shadowrun before so a noob-friendly game would be nice.

Tias
May 25, 2008

I got 5 players for my IRC game now, and that's all I'm comfortable running for now. However, you are all very welcome to let me know if you want in, in which case you join when someone can't play in the campaign any more or (highly unlikely, but still..) a character dies.

E: Preferably via private message, or email. I don't always check here.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe
I am trying to make a literal ninja/samurai character for tias's game and I can't decide between cyber/bioware or adept powers. Or maybe a combination of both. Does anyone have any experience with either?

As I am seeing it now cyber/bioware would give me the advantage with stats, but I can take a weapon foci nodachi as an adept, and that would just be too cool.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
In the long term, Adept is going to be better. Short term, cyber wins, flat out.

It's always this way: Cyber and bioware are the fasttrack. All it takes is money right? take some street ganger, give him a bit of training, and shove a million nuyen of cyber/bioware into him and he'll be stupid loving powerful.

Adepts, and magical characters in general, have to be patient. They gotta wait, build up that karma. Adept's don't have a hard cap on them like normal street sams. An adept doesn't have to worry about being so full of chrome he can't talk to normal people anymore without scaring the gently caress out of them.

As for combining both, it's relatively common to buy 5 magic, get all the cyber/bio you can shove into 1 point of essence, and still end up with 4 magic and being a decent caster or adept. For SirFozzie's game(that never ended up happening) I made a dude who had cyberarms. Relevant post is here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3470146#post401175631

I'll probably end up using him in whatever game I join after Tias's

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe
I just realized I can get a power 4 weapon foci with the restricted quality. It's hard to resist that.

I might take your advice though and just be an adept with synaptic boosters. Can you still initiate with less than 6 essence?

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Yeup. It increases your max magic, so if you've got 5 essence your Magic is capped at 5. If you initiate your magic is now capped at 6. It's a bit costly in the long run(you're never going to be as good at magic as a straight mage or adept), but you get the power quicker.

You're basically going the Way of the Burnout shoving cyber into a magical character. Walk a fine line, quick power or a longer road.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

MohawkSatan posted:

Yeup. It increases your max magic, so if you've got 5 essence your Magic is capped at 5. If you initiate your magic is now capped at 6. It's a bit costly in the long run(you're never going to be as good at magic as a straight mage or adept), but you get the power quicker.

You're basically going the Way of the Burnout shoving cyber into a magical character. Walk a fine line, quick power or a longer road.
On the other hand, if you're an adept, there's some things, like the bioware IP enhancer I can't remember the name of, that cost less essence than the adept power costs Magic, for an actual net long-term gain. I think that's the main one, though. And you can't mix and match, so you're committing to paying huge piles of cash to upgrade it.

Also, short-term, Adepts can get really good at one specific thing by buying extra skill dice with the relevant adept power.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think I'm just going to make a mystic adept and just get a sustaining foci for improve reflexes. Then my ninja can fly around invisible and cut people in half.

fake edit: Zereth the synaptic booster is only 1 essence for 2 extra IPs. The only problem is that it's 160,000 nuyen (32bp).

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

SerCypher posted:

I think I'm just going to make a mystic adept and just get a sustaining foci for improve reflexes. Then my ninja can fly around invisible and cut people in half.

fake edit: Zereth the synaptic booster is only 1 essence for 2 extra IPs. The only problem is that it's 160,000 nuyen (32bp).

You're going to find out really quickly that melee sucks when everyone else on your team is mowing down mobs with multiple IPs and you are locked in parrying combat with one dude for the entire battle.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

Bigass Moth posted:

You're going to find out really quickly that melee sucks when everyone else on your team is mowing down mobs with multiple IPs and you are locked in parrying combat with one dude for the entire battle.

Until I hit the guy with my Power 4 Weapon Foci Nodachi that's going to do 13DV Ap -2 and I get to roll 18 Dice to hit.

edit: Maths

SerCypher fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 23, 2012

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SerCypher posted:

Until I hit the guy with my Power 4 Weapon Foci Nodachi that's going to do 13DV Ap -2 and I get to roll 18 Dice to hit.

Wait.

This thing? You're going to be performing covert operations carrying around one of these things?

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

Zereth posted:

Wait.

This thing? You're going to be performing covert operations carrying around one of these things?

Hell yeah. Alternatively I could take a vibrosword or combat axe for basically the same stats, but that's no fun. With the active camo scabbard for it, it's not very noticeable.

Also most shadow running teams go on covert operations with guns and grenade launchers, at least this won't make any noise when I chop someone in half.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Have fun getting it through security checkpoints, I guess!

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

Zereth posted:

Have fun getting it through security checkpoints, I guess!

Well by that logic, no one in shadow run would ever buy machine guns, or grenade launchers, or combat drones.

Obviously the nodachi is not for every situation. Wouldn't be that hard to get it through a checkpoint though, just make it out of ceramic and put it inside a wooden sword, say you are a kendo instructor or something.

drat that's a good question, if you use a wooden sword, can you still use the blades skill? I would say yes, since that's what you would use to practice with anyway. Probably use the stats for a staff.

If you can use blades skill with a bokken then I would just take a wooden sword into secure areas and beat the poo poo out of people with it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Well, I haven't done much with weapon foci but I was under the impression your character would be significantly more attached to it than some guy and their grenade launcher.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

Zereth posted:

Well, I haven't done much with weapon foci but I was under the impression your character would be significantly more attached to it than some guy and their grenade launcher.

Oh yeah, but I mean the other 50% of the character will be stealth, so hopefully I won't go through the checkpoint. I mean if you have restricted or forbidden cyber wear you can't go through any decent security checkpoint.

Normally getting through a high security checkpoint is something that takes a lot of planning anyway, and if it comes to it I'll just bring a ceramic knife in my boot, which won't put me far behind the rest of the team with their wimpy hold out pistols.

edit: Of course the sword will be my ancestral family blade though.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Also Shadowruns can be far from sneaky. If your team's favourite way of getting into buildings is, ahem, 'Energetic Chemical Entry', aka blowing a goddamned hole in the wall/ceiling, then things tend to be a bit more obvious.

I had a team who liked using multiple drones with mortars to open 'doors'.

This is the same team who got a Lone Star patrol car by shooting a 15mm armor piercing, high velocity flechette through the driver and passenger.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The problem with that is foci should basically never not be your main use weapon, or at the very least never not be on your person. Ganger Joe can deal with 'aw poo poo we're going through security, gotta put my five missile launchers somewhere' because he also has a heavy pistol shoved up his rear end and is just fine with that.

It's not BAD to do what you're doing but I'm pretty sure even a normal katana would be easier to carry around and do things with.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

SerCypher posted:

Great, so you killed one guy -- guess what your group's mage already stunballed the rest of the mobs in one complex action.

Also if you're an adept, do yourself a favor and just get Killing Hands instead of wastin money/BP/karma on a weapon focus. It's the same basic idea, just no extra die, but it can attack spirits and deal physical damage instead of stun.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

Bigass Moth posted:

Great, so you killed one guy -- guess what your group's mage already stunballed the rest of the mobs in one complex action.

Also if you're an adept, do yourself a favor and just get Killing Hands instead of wastin money/BP/karma on a weapon focus. It's the same basic idea, just no extra die, but it can attack spirits and deal physical damage instead of stun.

Weapoon foci can hurt spirit's I'm fairy sure. Also the point isn't to kill like 5 people in a room, if I wanted that I'd just use a grenade launcher, it's to be stealthy and kill people in one hit before they realize I'm there.

Obviously this is not an optimal build, but if I wanted to power game I'd just be a troll adept or a mage.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Killing hands are cute and all, but point for point you'll wreck more with a weapon focus.

Ignoring sonic elemental fists, of course. Who thought those were a good idea?

If you don't want to carry a katana around, that's fine, it's a silly thing to do. But it's very 90s, and very much in the spirit of shadowrun, to bust out a katana and a leather trench coat with neon highlights and a mohawk, to do assassination runs against teams of men in formal suits with sunglasses and earpieces.

Stun balls and trolls with katanas are cute and all but the real ultimate power in 4e shadowrun is a crack shot with an assault rifle, gun adept bioware enhanced killer. Agility 8, Automatics 6 specialized in rifles, Reflex Booster, Synch, all on a gun adept with +3 to gun skills and temporary stat boosts, and you're rolling 20 dice to hit fully automatic with no recoil on your tricked out armor piercing assault rifle AFTER you did a called shot to reduce their ballistic armor by 4, 6 including ammo, and they're at a flat -9 dice to dodge while you'll be doing an expected damage of roughly 15 dice. It's nice that the ultimate killing tool in the future is the gun.

Tias
May 25, 2008

drat it you guys, don't encourage the new guy to twink out :argh:

Bioware would probably be the way to go if you want to augment him, it's much less invasive, but really expensive as has been pointed out.

Also, Nodachi are awesome, but it will be a hassle to transport everywhere. Even if your team is going in all guns blazing instead of stealthing their way in, you still have to get it into the theatre :)

Using a combination of unarmed adept powers and, for example, the Martial Arts positive quality, could be a reasonable concept for a ninja. He should probably invest in some stealthy magic or equipment as well.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Bigass Moth posted:

Great, so you killed one guy --
I don't know man, With that length of the katana, I would guess a horizontal slash would slice through a whole group of them and cut through steel beam along the way. He might even slice through the CONCRETE WALL silently with that amount of damage.

Gun can't do elemental damage either, but since he is a mystic adept, he could get something like element aura to deal with non-physical monster like elemental that he could one hit kill it.

... theoretically.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Apr 23, 2012

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Weapon Foci cut spirits.

Still, spirits aren't a common opponent, and not what a naginata packing sword saint should be worried about. A much more real threat is a rail drone... you're infiltrating a warehouse, and suddenly a drone whizzes around the corner, hanging from a rail on the ceiling. It opens fire with two Gatling guns. What are you gonna do against it with your melee weapon? Jack poo poo, that's what. Sword users mostly beat gangs and security guards in fights and that's about it.

Other things you hate: Helicopters, flying drones, flying spirits, mages, people on the second floor, people across the way, land mines, caltrops, fences, moving vehicles, Tarzan, narrow hallways where you can't swing your nine foot long penis, ghouls or other monsters with blood-borne diseases, gas grenades, rapidly hardening foams, electrified floors, trenches, ladders, snipers, those stupid bats that turn shadowrunners to stone, jellyfish air blimps, normal blimps, jungle gyms, doorways, people inside cars, people shooting out of a window, and the echoing laughter of condescending children who find your choice of weapon ludicrous.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Mystic Mongol posted:

What are you gonna do against it with your melee weapon?
Ehhh... I guess a extra hardened riot shield won't help.

Maybe he can be a possession mage with such a high stat that he can almost dodge anything or even become immune to physical? and let you fly

Edit: Maybe he can tag a sound element to his weapon attack that can create shockwave for range attack?

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 23, 2012

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
I don't know why Shadowrun seems intent on hosing melee so much. If they just made melee attacks simple instead of complex actions it might actually be worth it to use melee, but as it is choosing to fight in melee is choosing to be less powerful. As it is it's just real bad - you have to pump an additional stat (strength) since that's where your damage comes from, you have to waste time running up to someone and can never hit anything in the air, your attack pool is going to be 2 points lower (since no smartlinks), you only get one attack per turn, AND their defense is higher since they get to add a skill.

Piell fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 23, 2012

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe
I just realized I can take two weapon foci katanas and attack with both of them, since, to my understanding, you apply the foci bonus, the reach and custom handgrips after splitting the pool. So I would still be looking at about 13 dice per sword.

Also someone said something about rail drones, the whole point of using a sword is to be stealthy, one of the other 5 people on the team can shoot it down.

That's like saying every character using guns is useless because they are ineffective against spirits.

Yeah a sword is not right for every situation, but neither is a gun, or magic, or whatever, that's why you are a team.

Tias
May 25, 2008

E: ^^^^^^ A Katana is a two-handed weapon. Two smaller swords might be doable, particularly with augmentations or a strong metatype, but two-wielding can be a challenge either way.

Piell posted:

I don't know why Shadowrun seems intent on hosing melee so much. If they just made melee attacks simple instead of complex actions it might actually be worth it to use melee, but as it is choosing to fight in melee is choosing to be less powerful. As it is it's just real bad - you have to pump an additional stat (strength) since that's where your damage comes from, you have to waste time running up to someone and can never hit anything in the air, your attack pool is going to be 2 points lower (since no smartlinks), you only get one attack per turn, AND their defense is higher since they get to add a skill.

..On the other hand you get to gently caress people up with a magic katana :black101:

I'd say it depends a lot on your groups style of play. Ice pro dark future type stuff, you're much better off with a properly tricked out AK-98, but that's realism for ya. The more crazy chronicles, well, that's another thing entirely, and melee can be a lot of fun if you run it properly.

Tias fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 23, 2012

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
What, no, that's not how you split dice pools. You find out which of the actions you roll fewer dice for, and that's your pool for splitting. So if you've got a katananana that you roll 14 dice to hit with, and you are trying to hack a keypad at the same time where you'd get 6 dice to hack the keypad, if you insist on doing both as part of the same action, you'd only get six dice to split between the two actions. You could do four dice of sword and two dice of hacking, or vice versa, but you'd probably do better to hack the keypad after you've cut that dude.

Likewise, fighting with your left sword (which includes both of your weapon foci, your custom grip, and the reach) and your right sword (which includes all that crap, minus the penalty for dualwielding) means you roll half your reduced die pool. Or two thirds and one third, if you care less about one sword.

It appears the rules for splitting dice pools are dumb and contradictory and I am not prepared to make a statement on one side or the other.

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 23, 2012

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe
The rules for dual wielding says it has to be a reach 0 or 1 weapon. Katana's are reach 1. Obviously that might be a slight oversight, but there are similarly statted reach one weapons that aren't as long in the fluff, so I could just one of those.

Oh and Mystic Mongol. It says you apply all modifiers after splitting the pool, then after that it says you don't get the bonus of smart links and laser sights. Other than that I was under the impression everything counted. The section on it in the rules is fairly long. It actually gives quite a few advantages, +1 to your parry and -1/-2 on their defence roll, for your main and offhand weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

SerCypher posted:

I just realized I can take two weapon foci katanas and attack with both of them, since, to my understanding, you apply the foci bonus, the reach and custom handgrips after splitting the pool. So I would still be looking at about 13 dice per sword.

Also someone said something about rail drones, the whole point of using a sword is to be stealthy, one of the other 5 people on the team can shoot it down.

That's like saying every character using guns is useless because they are ineffective against spirits.

Yeah a sword is not right for every situation, but neither is a gun, or magic, or whatever, that's why you are a team.

If you're going to be double swording it up, use the Martial Arts rules from Arsenal and get to make a full defense plus an attack each round! Not to mention quick drawing your katanas and getting +1 DV, and only needing to spend 2 points to get ambidextrous besides.

Anyway you can get far more stealthy with guns than with a bigass katana. Slap chameleon coating on a pistol with silencer and electronic firing, and you're set. Make it a Manual Breakdown for "not looking like a weapon at all", or, for maximum concealment, make it a Morissey Elan for being a holdout pistol AND being invisible to MAD scanners. You can even put Manual Breakdown on that as well!

That's not to say unarmed/melee weapons aren't stylish as all hell. You just have to pay in terms of effectiveness for that style, and I wish you weren't forced to.

• Locked thread