Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Jake is a warmachine super computer, and one of the nicest and most laid back opponents too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

hobocrunch posted:

Circle of Orboros Gargantuan will just be a massive immobile tree with advance deployment... I can see it now...

This would be too cool, so it won't happen. I'm expecting I huge Wold Guardian.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

crime fighting hog posted:

This would be too cool, so it won't happen. I'm expecting I huge Wold Guardian.

They've already confirmed it to be the Woldwrath, from one of the old Iron Kingdom monster manuals. The Woldwrath is to Megalith what the Mountain King is to Mulg.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Paper Kaiju posted:

They've already confirmed it to be the Woldwrath, from one of the old Iron Kingdom monster manuals. The Woldwrath is to Megalith what the Mountain King is to Mulg.

And it will probably be the reason why Circle will be my 2nd Hordes faction.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Minuteman's backpack got jets

Took the photos before I greenstuffed the holes shut, was a nightmare to pin.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Do sprays ignore the defense bonus from models in melee?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Do sprays ignore the defense bonus from models in melee?

Yes. The only thing they don't ignore is elevation.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

S.J. posted:

Yes. The only thing they don't ignore is elevation.

Cool, I demoed games again today and I made the right call. We were near the end and I didn't think to look it up.

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..

Minuteman's backpack got jets

<Cool looking Minuteman>

Took the photos before I greenstuffed the holes shut, was a nightmare to pin.

That looks pretty sweet. Are you gonna try to model it about to/coming down from a jump?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Tanon posted:

That looks pretty sweet. Are you gonna try to model it about to/coming down from a jump?

Well, it's already modeled, painting wise I might spring for some flame jets but I'm not very good at painting fire. I'll think about it though.

E: I thought GF9 made em but I guess not. Anyone know what I'm talking about? They're flame bits you put at the end of guns to make'em look like they're firing.

crime fighting hog fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 23, 2012

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

When I talk about the doomed, the scum, the people who no longer give a shit...When I talk about the filth of the city...I'm talking about you.

E: I thought GF9 made em but I guess not. Anyone know what I'm talking about? They're flame bits you put at the end of guns to make'em look like they're firing.

Armorcast Cinematic Effects?

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
If you can bear to visit the 40k thread someone there will know for sure. Actually the painting thread might work too.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Eyespy posted:

Armorcast Cinematic Effects?

That's the one, thanks!

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Anyone have experience with Blindwater? The lore seems pretty awesome, but I know nothing about how they play. I don't expect many options since there aren't all that many models but still I'd like to know anything.

Adrian Finol
Sep 5, 2004
Just finished my first Hordes/Warmachine miniature. This was a lot of fun, specially coming from painting nothing but 40k vehicles/small sisters of battles.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Anyone have experience with Blindwater? The lore seems pretty awesome, but I know nothing about how they play. I don't expect many options since there aren't all that many models but still I'd like to know anything.

I love them, they're my main faction! They can be surprisingly fast and dominate in melee. But because we have no front line tarpit they desperately want the alpha strike. Trogs are great, the beasts are great (except the boneswarm) and we have tons (compared to pigs!) of awesome solos. Casters are: Barnabas, tough melee beatstick who protects his army and gives it some maneuverability, Calaban, slightly squishy spell slinger who buffs, debuffs and straight up magic-murders, and Maelok, who I haven't played, but seems like he's geared to a more risky frontline/assassination playstyle.

They have some issues, they don't crack armour too well without Calaban, and It's easy to get bogged down by tonnes of cheap infantry or walled up by jacks/beasts. Oh and they're poo poo against undead/constructs. But they're a really solid minifaction, who are only getting better (oh god witchdoctor I want you so bad!)

Pilgrimski
Apr 23, 2008

Well, it's already modeled, painting wise I might spring for some flame jets but I'm not very good at painting fire. I'll think about it though.

I'd never painted fire before, but came across this tutorial: http://hot-lead.org/advance/fire_prac.htm

Now I have a converted unit of free company with torches and a witch hunter because I enjoyed painting the fire so much on my crazed flagellents :)

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Like Gobbeldygoat 'gators are my main faction too. Outside of competitive play they're totally fine with lots of douchebaggy tricks to master and can really steamroll the opponent with high armor and movement shenanigans.

If you want to place well in tournaments they have a harder time with bad matchups than other factions. You really have to make the most out of every model and your positioning. Mass heavy armor and high def are tough nuts to crack. There are ways to around both though which involves throwing things usually your own.

For general playstyle I think they're stronger in the attrition department but you can certainly play them assassination style too. Considering the low amount of choices available I'm still having plenty of fun with them even though I've been playing them almost exclusively for almost a year and will probably use them for this tournament season as well.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Adrian Finol posted:

Just finished my first Hordes/Warmachine miniature. This was a lot of fun, specially coming from painting nothing but 40k vehicles/small sisters of battles.

Looks sweet dude. Also good call on choosing the clearly superior faction.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Speaking of the best faction, I placed 3rd in a 16-man steamroller I went to yesterday. I'm super happy on how I did, I faced the guy who placed 2nd with 3 wins in round 2 and almost beat him.

First round I played psevvy on close quarters. I played Jarl, he only had 1 list so I chose my best matchup. I got sevvy with the Bomber on turn 3, when I cleared out some stuff in front of him with Nyss, then the Bomber was able to walk up and throw a bomb, second shot got him.

Second round I played eDoomy vs. Kromac on the scenario with 2 zones and an explosives cache in the middle of them, forget the name.

Anyway, After a few turns where I traded my earthborn for 2 stalkers, I was in danger of getting sevvy killed by Woldstalkers on one side, Bloodtrackers on the other side. I could have had a rushed, wild aggressioned Rok go on Kromac, but I made a few crucial errors. In hindsight I could have probably killed Kromac on average dice, but I chickened out and goaded Rok into a scenario point (which might have cemented my 3rd place finish).

Anyway, Kromac was sitting on 3 fury and I had just killed the 2nd stalker with Mulg, but I stupidly forgot to snack so he was back to 7. I then immediately chickened out, but in hindsight I could have trampled over to Kromac, kill his only warbeast remaining (a full health gorax) via transfers (Rok is at dice +4 on Kromac, averaging 11 damage) in 2-3 hits. Then I could have had 2 or 3 shots at Kromac who has only 17 health.

3rd round I scenario'ed an epic gaspy player with Jarl on Flag Too Far because he did not protect my secondary flag at all, so I cleared off some bane knights, then ran a feralgeist up to control my secondary, scoring 2 points. My reinforced Long riders did the same the very next turn, giving me the win.

On the other side my army was getting purged to death, so I got the win or I would have lost badly due to not having any infantry left against his half unit of bane thralls and full blood witches that were still left alive.

Overall I'm just super pumped on my 3rd place, never would have expected it going in.

TheRupert
Mar 15, 2009

Hi. My name is Rupert, but my friends call me awesome.
PP announced a new Cygnar Plastic Heavy Jack Combo Kit @ Adepticon. With this kit you can either build an Avenger, Centurion or Hammersmith.

Here's a pic courtesy of Bell of Lost Souls: http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2012/04/warmachine-cygnar-minis-unveiled-at.html

S.J.
May 19, 2008

TheRupert posted:

PP announced a new Cygnar Plastic Heavy Jack Combo Kit @ Adepticon. With this kit you can either build an Avenger, Centurion or Hammersmith.

Here's a pic courtesy of Bell of Lost Souls: http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2012/04/warmachine-cygnar-minis-unveiled-at.html

Holy poo poo those look awesome.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

gobbledygoat posted:

except the boneswarm

The whole faction is designed to do what he does, and he often gets picked off before he has a chance to get some tokens. But they're great en masse with Maelok (Maelok's tier list is pretty cool, I think) and the model is awesome and is, IMHO, fine in casual play. I think it's a great late-game piece for countering the solos that've been hiding in the enemy's backfield (although there are several Blindwater things that can do this) and having a nonliving beast is sometimes a big help.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

TheRupert posted:

holy poo poo! also, it looks like they fixed the Centurion's spear and the Hammersmith's maracas.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
Those jacks are slick as gently caress.
Though I reaaaallly hate cleaning PP's plastic/resin line.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
God I want to paint the gently caress out of that Centurion.

TheRupert
Mar 15, 2009

Hi. My name is Rupert, but my friends call me awesome.
PP has already pulled the metal versions of the Hammersmith and Centurion off of the website...so I'm assuming (more like hoping!) that these might be coming out soon???

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?
Thank god they finally showed that kit, now everyone on the PP forums can shut the gently caress up about it.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Fyrbrand posted:

God I want to paint the gently caress out of that Centurion.

Glad I held off on buying the metal one. I'm posing that dude jumping through the air like Lebron, since he'll be getting Full Tilt each game with Kraye.

Raiche
Oct 29, 2007

Glad I held off on buying the metal one. I'm posing that dude jumping through the air like Lebron, since he'll be getting Full Tilt each game with Kraye.

I still like my metal one because I feel all proud of the effort I put in to fix that spear. But.. maybe I want the plastic one now. Woo for Kraye!

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I wonder what's up with that official Warmachine app that was supposed to drop this month. Anyone heard anything?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Not sure if I want to buy another plastic kit and go for a second Centurion, or if I want to just take bits and pieces from the plastic kit to update my metal one. Hmm. I now have visions of a pHaley double Centurion list for scenario play.

e:
Someone tell me that this is a bad idea so that I won't spend more money :smith:

Captain Victoria Haley (*5pts)
* Centurion (9pts)
* Centurion (9pts)
* Squire (2pts)
Arcane Tempest Gun Mages (Leader and 5 Grunts) (6pts)
* Arcane Tempest Gun Mage Officer (2pts)
Cylena Raefyll & Nyss Hunters (Cylena and 9 Grunts) (10pts)
* Captain Jonas Murdoch (2pts)
Journeyman Warcaster (3pts)
Storm Strider (9pts)
Eiryss, Angel of Retribution (3pts)

S.J. fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 23, 2012

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

S.J. posted:

Someone tell me that this is a bad idea so that I won't spend more money :smith:

I don't know poo poo about poo poo but this looks pretty drat good in a two-list tournament format.

EDIT: oh it's p

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 23, 2012

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

S.J. posted:

Not sure if I want to buy another plastic kit and go for a second Centurion, or if I want to just take bits and pieces from the plastic kit to update my metal one. Hmm. I now have visions of a pHaley double Centurion list for scenario play.

e:

Captain Victoria Haley (*5pts)
* Centurion (9pts)
* Centurion (9pts)
* Squire (2pts)
Arcane Tempest Gun Mages (Leader and 5 Grunts) (6pts)
* Arcane Tempest Gun Mage Officer (2pts)
Cylena Raefyll & Nyss Hunters (Cylena and 9 Grunts) (10pts)
* Captain Jonas Murdoch (2pts)
Journeyman Warcaster (3pts)
Storm Strider (9pts)
Eiryss, Angel of Retribution (3pts)

Why do you need Centurions when you have Temporal Barrier?

EDIT: If you wanna spend money, replace those nyss hunters with Trencher Commandos. I hear stealth models with sprays and other ranged attacks that can't be charged are good.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Reik posted:

Why do you need Centurions when you have Temporal Barrier?

EDIT: If you wanna spend money, replace those nyss hunters with Trencher Commandos. I hear stealth models with sprays and other ranged attacks that can't be charged are good.

The Centurions will be able to be charged at some point, and you can never account for super fast stuff. And they're ARM 24 :v:

And I already have Commandos, but I love Nyss on feat turn. They've got great threat ranges.

Chicken Slayer
Nov 7, 2009
Dunno about the Storm Strider. What's its place in the list?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Chicken Slayer posted:

Dunno about the Storm Strider. What's its place in the list?

Two RAT 8 defender shots per turn with d3 arc? Though I was thinking of swapping it for a defender or hunter or something.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Don't forget giving Haley something to hide behind with TB up, even if that makes its shooting a little awkward (you want the -2 def from TB, but the storm strider needs to go first when you're getting up the field, etc). Looks like a pretty mean list in general, you should give it a try before you go messing with stuff.

One thing I might suggest when you're testing tweaks, however, is swapping Murdoch out for min mechanics to give the Storm Strider even more resilience. Assault with the Nyss is kind of a trap if you don't play it well, and while go to ground is good, it may not be the best use of those 2 points. Things to play around with, I guess.

Chicken Slayer
Nov 7, 2009
Fair enough, forgot about the debuff from Temporal Barrier or that it's a great thing to hide behind. Personally though, I don't think that Haley can run that many warjacks properly, since most turns she's dropping half her focus with Temporal Barrier and/or Deadeye.

Honestly I think it might be better to run both Centurions with Sword Knights, then throw in all the focus stuff that Cygnar has to improve their number of attacks. Lanyssa Rissal, Strangeways & feat gets you to 4 attacks with one and 3 on the other on Feat turn, plus the Sword Knight's Drive helps with the low speed of the Centurion. But that's a pretty radical change and this list looks solid enough to try at least.

stabbington posted:

One thing I might suggest when you're testing tweaks, however, is swapping Murdoch out for min mechanics to give the Storm Strider even more resilience. Assault with the Nyss is kind of a trap if you don't play it well, and while go to ground is good, it may not be the best use of those 2 points. Things to play around with, I guess.

Bad idea. Without Murdoch, the Nyss don't benefit from Haley's feat. Hell, they can throw out 2 ranged attacks or Assault and make 3 attacks on feat turn. That's worth 2 points at least.

Chicken Slayer fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Did some more work today on my Cygnar scheme

black and yellow black and yellow

• Locked thread