Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vonManstein
Nov 5, 2006
Is there any way to see how much we have spent on the market overall? I am curious to see how much I have spent, seems like every day I buy an app or game that I never play or use.

Oh well, at least I'm supporting the developers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dynodash
Jul 14, 2010
Is anyone else using Emit? It used to work perfectly for me, but now in recent weeks it's started taking ages to buffer and half the time just gives up and says "something went wrong!"

I've got a Sensation with stock Sense. I imagine the update to ICS didn't help matters, but it's been misbehaving for a while.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

vonManstein posted:

Is there any way to see how much we have spent on the market overall? I am curious to see how much I have spent, seems like every day I buy an app or game that I never play or use.

Oh well, at least I'm supporting the developers.
AppBrain supports (or at least supported) this. While I understand why AppBrain is no longer necessary nor used, it really did a much better job of doing all that Market Play bullshit better than Google's own store.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I really like sleep as android for my alarm. It forces me to scan a qr code in the bathroom when the alarm rings, as well as having sleep tracking to wake me up in light sleep. I'm also really interested in seeing my sleep patterns over time in school, and it's good for that. It isn't free after 14 days, however.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
It's probably come up before in this thread, but what's a good task app with a widget? I've never used any kind of task thing before, but wedding planning is making me rethink this.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

It's probably come up before in this thread, but what's a good task app with a widget? I've never used any kind of task thing before, but wedding planning is making me rethink this.
There are a couple people have liked but I use Notes for ICS because it does a good job with Google Tasks syncing and can be displayed in Android Agenda Widget. If you're looking for more of a checklist kind of thing Any.DO isn't bad. Then you've got more motivation-oriented things like Astrid or more detailed note-taking things like Evernote.

When we were doing our wedding planning though we found the easiest thing was a shared Google Calendar as it was easier to put on a scrollable widget with instantaneous sync and plenty of room for notes on date-sensitive things.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

My favorite task list app is Due Today. It has great widgets that are highly customizable.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Does Swype do this for anyone else? I'm usually pretty precise and it will do poo poo like this on rare occasions. "Out" wasn't even one of the options!

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Is that how you swipe? I would usually just swipe a straight line from the 'o' to the 't'.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Budgie posted:

Is that how you swipe? I would usually just swipe a straight line from the 'o' to the 't'.
I got in the habit of going down from o because it will always do "our" instead of "or." I'm fairly certain it can mess up when I'm doing it straight across, too.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

There are a couple people have liked but I use Notes for ICS because it does a good job with Google Tasks syncing and can be displayed in Android Agenda Widget.

I used Android Agenda Widget for a while, but besides being unable to display tasks, the stock calendar widget in 4.0.4 is almost identical - to be honest, I don't use tasks often enough to make any difference though.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Does Swype do this for anyone else? I'm usually pretty precise and it will do poo poo like this on rare occasions. "Out" wasn't even one of the options!

Swype pretty consistently made dumb mistakes like that so I stopped using it weeks ago. I guess I don't work like it expects me to.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Maybe Swype has an algorithm that changes words or auto-corrects based on how likely it is to be a word that starts sentences. "Our" would most likely be used more often to start a sentence than "out", right? Does Swype 'think' about that kind of thing or is it just whatever is close, no matter where it is in the sentence?

That's weird that it doesn't even have the option for "Out". We are both on VZW GNex's right? Are you on the latest version of Swype? It works fine for me, straight, or curved like you do it. I've also gotten in the habit of looping around for certain words rather than straight to the letters.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

yamdankee posted:

Maybe Swype has an algorithm that changes words or auto-corrects based on how likely it is to be a word that starts sentences. "Our" would most likely be used more often to start a sentence than "out", right? Does Swype 'think' about that kind of thing or is it just whatever is close, no matter where it is in the sentence?

That's weird that it doesn't even have the option for "Out". We are both on VZW GNex's right? Are you on the latest version of Swype? It works fine for me, straight, or curved like you do it. I've also gotten in the habit of looping around for certain words rather than straight to the letters.
It's the latest version and it doesn't do it every time. It had just happened to me in the middle of a text. When I went to re-create the problem for that screenshot it took me about 10 tries before it did it. It's irritating when the line shows that I'm on one character, but it decides it wants a different one. It doesn't happen enough to make me switch keyboards, though.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If Swype autocorrects based on common usage I should be worried it keeps changing 'an' to 's&m' right?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I stopped using swype because it always was getting words wrong. Then instead of showing me similar words, it would show a word similar to what I wanted and then a bunch of random words that maybe could use letters sort of near where I swyped. It got to the point where I'd need to type things out manually, and what's the point of swype if I'm typing. I switched to SwiftKeyX and it predicts just fine and haven't had many problems with it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I never had that problem in the short time I used Swype, but I definitely haven't on SlideIT.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Red_Fred posted:

I assume this is also still the preferred alarm app in general?

Used to use it until I found Alarm Clock Xtereme. I just find the latter much better for me. Especially the interface - much easier than Gentle Alarm.

Both are gems however.

Steriletom
May 11, 2009

My inability to write has angered the ghost of Thunderdome! Beware my example, lest you be haunted.
Asking again because I didn't get an answer and I'm persistent: Is there a way to get ICS music controls into widget locker? It's not something I'm going to stick with if I can't get them in there.

For content, Nova Launcher just got an update and it has some pretty sweet new features. Main ones:

-Ability to make the app drawer transparent in degrees.
-Create folders in the app drawer or alternatively create a new group in the tabs at the top of the app drawer.(Prime version only)
-Add 1x1 widgets to the dock
-Activities short cut. Allows you to create shortcuts on the home screen with direct actions(i.e. Compose new email).
-A bunch of other stuff that isn't important to me.

Screenshot of the first two features in action:

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Anyone know of a good radar application? By radar I of course mean weather radars, not the highway patrol type

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I usually just check accuweather's mobile site, it's pretty great.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
Swype's getting a bit poo poo, how good is SlideIt? Any better?

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Anyone know of a good radar application? By radar I of course mean weather radars, not the highway patrol type

Well if you're looking for serious level 3 radar data apps, I recommend either of these:
RadarScope
PYKL3 Radar

I've played with both but I lean towards RadarScope. It's a bit more user friendly and I just prefer the layout more. Unfortunately it doesn't get updated nearly as much. PYKL3 gets pretty routine updates, so they might catch up before too long. They're both a bit pricy at $10 each but you really can't get better radar parsing than that. Plug in an allisonhouse.com account into either app and you can get real-time lightning strike data, too.

For just a straight forward radar app, I was a big fan of this simplistic app that does nothing but that: Rainy Days

PREYING MANTITS fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 24, 2012

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

yamdankee posted:

One of the suggestions was "Pt". I don't think "Pt" is more likely to start a sentence than "Out"

I stopped using Swype after about 5 minutes, it didn't feel intuitive to me. I'm worried that this means that I'm an old man now and that there are a bunch of teenagers who are picking it up and just loving it :(

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

My SNESdroid doesn't want to work right when I use an HDMI cable with my Samsung Galaxy S II (Rooted Gingerbread, build UVKL1, haven't installed a custom ROM yet so it's still the stock T-Mobile thing). It feels like it's running at half speed; the video and audio stutters to the point that nothing is playable unless I unplug the HDMI cable. If I use the fast-forward feature then the audio sounds normal, but the graphics stutter even worse. It feels like a processing issue, but shouldn't my phone be able to handle this?

Everything else works great over HDMI, and I don't have any emulation problems normally. It's upsetting since I've read about others who can play their SNES games over HDMI, with bluebooth controllers even, but I can't for some reason :(

Any ideas? I tried clearing the RAM via Task Manager, which opened up an extra 200MB but that didn't seem to help

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

I like the one in the WeatherBug app.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Budgie posted:

Swype actually recommends this method for words like out/our or pot/pit/put - just in the opposite direction. Swyping above the letters (as shown on the Advanced Tips page) usually works for me.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Steriletom posted:

Asking again because I didn't get an answer and I'm persistent: Is there a way to get ICS music controls into widget locker? It's not something I'm going to stick with if I can't get them in there.

For content, Nova Launcher just got an update and it has some pretty sweet new features. Main ones:

-Ability to make the app drawer transparent in degrees.
-Create folders in the app drawer or alternatively create a new group in the tabs at the top of the app drawer.(Prime version only)
-Add 1x1 widgets to the dock
-Activities short cut. Allows you to create shortcuts on the home screen with direct actions(i.e. Compose new email).
-A bunch of other stuff that isn't important to me.
The new icon is terrible but the new Titanium Backup icon is nice so I guess it evens out.

QuarkJets posted:

I stopped using Swype after about 5 minutes, it didn't feel intuitive to me. I'm worried that this means that I'm an old man now and that there are a bunch of teenagers who are picking it up and just loving it :(
I'll never go back to using the spacebar. I wish Swype's prediction engine was better but tap tap tapping the screen makes me feel like one of the monkeys at the beginning of 2001.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

SwiftkeyX has good enough word recognition that I haven't had to use the spacebar very often, which I'm thankful for

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

SwiftkeyX has good enough word recognition that I haven't had to use the spacebar very often, which I'm thankful for
My problem every time I try a non-Swype-style keyboard I forget that the device doesn't know when I'm done with a word and starting the next one. When Swype works, each motion is a word and after using it for two years it just never occurs to me that I have to do some action (like hit the spacebar or select a suggested word) to move to the next word.

Every time I get a fresh device without it installed or use an iPad everythingitypeendsuplookingthisandihavetogobackanddeleteeverything

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

LastInLine posted:

My problem every time I try a non-Swype-style keyboard I forget that the device doesn't know when I'm done with a word and starting the next one. When Swype works, each motion is a word and after using it for two years it just never occurs to me that I have to do some action (like hit the spacebar or select a suggested word) to move to the next word.

Every time I get a fresh device without it installed or use an iPad everythingitypeendsuplookingthisandihavetogobackanddeleteeverything

Just a thing you'd have to get used to I guess. I like hitting one or two letters and immediately being able to select a full word (because SwiftkeyX is smart like that and uses your typing history to figure out what words you more commonly use, so it knows that when I type "in" I'm probably typing out "interesting")

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

Just a thing you'd have to get used to I guess. I like hitting one or two letters and immediately being able to select a full word (because SwiftkeyX is smart like that and uses your typing history to figure out what words you more commonly use, so it knows that when I type "in" I'm probably typing out "interesting")
I know the problem is on my end.

What I don't understand though is why Swype is still so bad. I don't even think it's *that* bad, but it's been two years and the prediction engine isn't any better than it was when it launched. It's varied in quality between releases (now seems to be a down cycle) but while things like the UI, the look and feel, and the featureset have improved, it amazes me that the actual nuts-and-bolts of the thing, the whole raison d'etre, haven't advanced in the slightest.

There isn't any reason after so long that it doesn't do a better job of guessing which word you want based on frequency of usage, sentence placement, past usage patterns, and usage data collected from everyone who uses it.

At the same time though it's not like I can change now, I'm just disappointed that they haven't done much that's evident to improve such a vital element of a virtual keyboard.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Tasks recently launched on the Play Store and I REALLY like it a lot.

It's an app that was specifically created to sync with Google Tasks. It looks like a native Android app, from the Holo theme right down to the icon and widget.

It's very smooth and doesn't lag down my Nexus S running ICS at all.

It's on sale right now until May at $0.99. The developers state that it's a significant price drop compared to the normal price, so I got it now.

They have a free version which has the ads disabled for 10 days. Both have the same functionality, one just has ads and the other doesn't.

I used the free version for about 2 hours before I just upgraded to the paid. The free one had one ad start showing before I uninstalled it. It really broke the "default Google app" illusion for me. Plus, it's $1. Best $1 I've spent so far this year.

I think, if Google does want to make a Google Tasks app, they should just buy out this one or something.

It doesn't look like you can scroll with the widget yet, but that's fine as I don't generally have many tasks on my list anyway. It's still pretty functional otherwise and I don't see why it wouldn't be included in a future update.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Apr 24, 2012

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

Tasks recently launched on the Play Store and I REALLY like it a lot...

I think, if Google does want to make a Google Tasks app, they should just buy out this one or something.
The biggest problem with all Google Tasks apps lies on Google's end. They really need to add support for things like sharing tasks/task lists, adding native push reminders, and increasing the flexibility of tasks themselves (recurring schedules, priorities, multiple task lists).

Until they do this none of the current Google Tasks apps can really be considered fully-featured since developers of other apps like calendar widgets and agenda widgets can adequately support all the different Tasks apps.

Why this wasn't a priority prior to launching Android boggles the mind since it's such an essential thing for a smartphone.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LastInLine posted:

The biggest problem with all Google Tasks apps lies on Google's end. They really need to add support for things like sharing tasks/task lists, adding native push reminders, and increasing the flexibility of tasks themselves (recurring schedules, priorities, multiple task lists).

Until they do this none of the current Google Tasks apps can really be considered fully-featured since developers of other apps like calendar widgets and agenda widgets can adequately support all the different Tasks apps.

Why this wasn't a priority prior to launching Android boggles the mind since it's such an essential thing for a smartphone.

The Tasks app actually has push notifications. I added a task today that I need to complete on the Google Calendar site and my phone got a push notification that something was due today.

It kinda surprised me because I've never had that on previous Google Tasks apps. To have a reoccurring task and whatnot would really help though.

Maybe they'll revamp it one day.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

For everyone complaining about Swype's inaccuracy, have you tried increasing the accuracy/speed bar (in Settings) in favour of greater accuracy?

I may be misremembering as I don't have it installed at the minute.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

ThermoPhysical posted:

It's an app that was specifically created to sync with Google Tasks. It looks like a native Android app, from the Holo theme right down to the icon and widget.

It's on sale right now until May at $0.99. The developers state that it's a significant price drop compared to the normal price, so I got it now.

They have a free version which has the ads disabled for 10 days. Both have the same functionality, one just has ads and the other doesn't.

I used the free version for about 2 hours before I just upgraded to the paid. The free one had one ad start showing before I uninstalled it. It really broke the "default Google app" illusion for me. Plus, it's $1. Best $1 I've spent so far this year.

It doesn't look like you can scroll with the widget yet, but that's fine as I don't generally have many tasks on my list anyway. It's still pretty functional otherwise and I don't see why it wouldn't be included in a future update.

How does this compare to something like Astrid? Have you used Astrid?

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

900ftjesus posted:

EDIT: This will use SMS instead of data to send messages, if you pay-per-SMS, this is not free like using the GV app.

Open GV -> Menu -> Sync and Notifications -> Receive text messages

Change that to "Via the Messaging app." Now all of your texts go to the stock messenger. If someone texts your GV number, it will come from a weird number that GV assigned to that contact, and if you reply to that number, your text will come from your GV number not your actual number.

This way all texts show up in one place and you can use SMS popup or whatever, but GV will still notify you for voicemail.

Awesome, I didn't know they added that feature. I was using a really old version so that GV used only one number every time it dialed out (MyFaves plan on Tmo), but I updated.

Thanks to everyone else who replied as well.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

ThermoPhysical posted:

Thanks for posting this, it's awesome. I was using Notes, which is great, but this seems a bit nicer and more featured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

BoyBlunder posted:

How does this compare to something like Astrid? Have you used Astrid?

I've used Astrid, GTasks, Agenda Widget, and Any.DO. Out of those, I'd say that Tasks looks the best and performs the best for me on my phone.

For me, the features in the other apps just got in the way as I never used them. Would I want Google to pay more attention to Tasks and add more to it like Last-in-Line said? I wouldn't mind that but, for right now, Tasks is perfect for what I need which is a simple to-do list with nothing added in like a grocery list or something(even though I do use Out of Milk for groceries as it has more features that revolve around groceries).

Drifter287 posted:

Thanks for posting this, it's awesome. I was using Notes, which is great, but this seems a bit nicer and more featured.

No problem.

• Locked thread