Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
I actually made this one at work at some point last year, but the textures were all messed up because I had to use the Freedoom wad. I took this opportunity to finally fix that: http://www.mediafire.com/?k4t582e272pcoog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

John Carstairs posted:

I actually made this one at work at some point last year, but the textures were all messed up because I had to use the Freedoom wad. I took this opportunity to finally fix that: http://www.mediafire.com/?k4t582e272pcoog

Cool, I'll check this out and get back to you.

In the meantime, I cleaned up my two maps, "Suicides" and "Abattoir Blues". With Abattoir Blues, I upped the difficulty and added a teleport so you don't have to backtrack so much, making the whole map flow a lot better. If anybody wants to give them a shot and let me know what you think, I'd much appreciate it.

As far as the GOONWAD is concerned, who is seriously pursuing making a map? So far I have:

Me (Cream-of-Plenty)
Sanzuo
SPACE HOMOS
Jimmy Boag
Chinese Tony Danza
John Carstairs

MAYBES:
Savage Messiah
an_Mutt
Reive

H20Melon, is this "Fear Of the Dark" map I'm hosting yours? I cannot figure out who made it, but I'm throwing it into the GOONWAD, too.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Apr 22, 2012

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

I need an excuse to actually finish some maps for the first time in 15 years, so I'm in.

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

As far as the GOONWAD is concerned, who is seriously pursuing making a map?
I tried to make one for the previous attempt at goonwaddery, but I got distracted :ohdear:

I'm trying again, since I still have my concept on paper.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

In the meantime, I cleaned up my two maps, "Suicides" and "Abattoir Blues". With Abattoir Blues, I upped the difficulty and added a teleport so you don't have to backtrack so much, making the whole map flow a lot better. If anybody wants to give them a shot and let me know what you think, I'd much appreciate it.

This is where I admit that I'm bad at doom because I think Abattoir Blues is TOO HARD.

This is coming from someone who's never beaten DOOM 2 though. I have a hard time dealing with huge rooms full of monsters and Archviles. Levels like icon of sin make me run into a corner and cry.

Visually I think Abattoir Blues is too dark in parts, which is unfortunate because some of the architecture looks good... I think. I'll get back to you if I actually beat it.

Suicides was kind of fun. It reminded me of doing pacers in gym class. Except towards the end I was completely out of ammo and there were still the mancubuses and the baron of hell to deal with so I just rushed to the exit.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Sanzuo posted:

This is where I admit that I'm bad at doom because I think Abattoir Blues is TOO HARD.

This is coming from someone who's never beaten DOOM 2 though. I have a hard time dealing with huge rooms full of monsters and Archviles. Levels like icon of sin make me run into a corner and cry.

Visually I think Abattoir Blues is too dark in parts, which is unfortunate because some of the architecture looks good... I think. I'll get back to you if I actually beat it.

Suicides was kind of fun. It reminded me of doing pacers in gym class. Except towards the end I was completely out of ammo and there were still the mancubuses and the baron of hell to deal with so I just rushed to the exit.

Yeah, everybody that has played "Suicides" so far has told me that the key to victory is to run, which is what I had intended. Rather than the Mancubui and Arch Viles being enemies to fight, they were additional obstacles, not unlike the crushing ceilings or acid pits. If you're nimble, you can beat the level without expending too much ammo, which is something that seemed to fit with the gym-class suicides exercise.

I might go back and crank up the lighting in Abattoir, since you're probably right in that it's too dark.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

H20Melon, is this "Fear Of the Dark" map I'm hosting yours? I cannot figure out who made it, but I'm throwing it into the GOONWAD, too.
Nope. I can't for the life of me remember the name of who made it though. They also made a second map called Blood of the Earth which I still have on my harddrive.

Personally I wouldn't add his map to the wad unless he agrees to it being included.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I haven't attempted to make a map since Thief 2 - rather tempted to have a go at this for the goon.wad .

That I'm restarting mapping after twelve years or so for a game that's even older seems pretty bizarre.

Edit: Seeing as it's the preferred flavour at the moment, should we be balancing this for Brutal Doom?

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

I'm still working on my own map; got about 50% of the architecture finished but only about 20% or so of the detail. Need to find a way to make large, open areas look non-94.WAD-esque. Here's a map shot of what I've done so far, I guess.

Edit: And this as well. Definitely not the final texture choices, but I'll leave that kind of stuff for later.

I'll get around to play-testing the maps that have been posted itt tonight maybe; I remember playing the original versions of Abattoir Blues and Suicides last week so I'll say a little thing on each:

Suicides - Don't like this map; I prefer playing to 100% secrets and kills, and having no ammo to take care of the remaining enemies is lame. :( Maybe have an ammo cache at the exit as a secret for us completionists? :buddy:

Abattoir Blues - I really like this map, although the chaingunners in the gigantic open area picking me off from far away felt cheap. The ending felt really sudden. I feel like it could be expanded another few rooms!

an_mutt fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Apr 22, 2012

Reive
May 21, 2009

Here, have a map:
http://www.mediafire.com/?zmxuw371q4tl59x

It's short, dumb, linear, and mostly just teeth-cutting for DB2, play on ultra-violence.

I honestly don't understand how you guys make such big elaborate looking maps.

Edit: notice a couple errors, reupped.

Reive fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 22, 2012

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Reive posted:

It's short, dumb, linear, and mostly just teeth-cutting for DB2, play on ultra-violence.

It's definitely not a finished product. At the very least you could practice making it prettier.

Though some of the monster ambushes were well done I think.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

an_mutt posted:

I'll get around to play-testing the maps that have been posted itt tonight maybe; I remember playing the original versions of Abattoir Blues and Suicides last week so I'll say a little thing on each:

Suicides - Don't like this map; I prefer playing to 100% secrets and kills, and having no ammo to take care of the remaining enemies is lame. :( Maybe have an ammo cache at the exit as a secret for us completionists? :buddy:

Thanks for the observations!

I've come to the conclusion that Suicides isn't the sort of map you would use to open up a WAD, and that the player is inevitably going to have more ammo than the map suggests. I've actually played it on UV with Brutal Doom v16, and clearing the place out with a minigun is still challenging fun. Easier, but not ridiculously so: The long distant Mancubi barrages, acid pits, crushing ceilings, and Baron of Hell are still dangerous. For that reason, I'm considering sneaking a "weapon closet" secret into the map that would--surprise, surprise--require you to be nimble and quick to get to it. It's just that I'm really opposed to putting in a secret that would trivialize the map if it's easy to get to.

quote:

Abattoir Blues - I really like this map, although the chaingunners in the gigantic open area picking me off from far away felt cheap. The ending felt really sudden. I feel like it could be expanded another few rooms!

I'm glad you like this map. It's easy to see that people who like one of my two submitted maps, don't like the other. I'd agree, though: The ending does feel abrupt, but I'm not sure how to end it. I'll brainstorm something.

What I might end up doing is removing the chaingunners, adding another Revenant on each pillar (there is already one on doombuilder's "hard" difficulty) and upping the rockets you get in the Baron / HK "star chamber" right before that room. That way, if you're thorough, you'll have enough rockets to pop out, fire some off, and retreat before their rockets get to you--but you'll still be up poo poo's creek if you blindly run out into the open.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

H2Omelon posted:

Nope. I can't for the life of me remember the name of who made it though. They also made a second map called Blood of the Earth which I still have on my harddrive.

Personally I wouldn't add his map to the wad unless he agrees to it being included.

Good. I'll keep threatening to put it into the GOONWAD and see if he comes out of hiding. :colbert:

Rather Dashing posted:

Edit: Seeing as it's the preferred flavour at the moment, should we be balancing this for Brutal Doom?

There are probably going to be people who tell you not to, but I feel like I'd be a fool to not balance my maps with at least a little Brutal Doom in mind. After all, that's the #1 complaint nowadays for MegaWADS, i.e.: "It's ridiculously hard with Brutal Doom; the monster closets are pretty much instakills."

The main drawback with balancing your map solely around Brutal Doom is that the mod is ever-changing. You might assume you can put hitscan enemies somewhere because the BD rifle has a zoom feature, but if Sarge removes it in a later version, suddenly the enemies are tedious. Or if he decides to nerf the Imps so they no longer pounce on you, certain traps may become underwhelming. Even worse, if he changes the player's movement speeds in liquids, it could (and does) break parts of maps that are time-sensitive.

Since each map can be so different, it's tough to recommend what you should do. I would suggest that, at the very least, you make efforts to distinguish between different difficulty levels on your map. That way you can give the player a little wiggle-room if the way they're playing Doom makes your map too easy / hard.

James Peach
Dec 30, 2008
Went through Abattoir Blues just now, and found two things wrong with it (running GZDoom w/ Brutal Doom).

1. Shortly after the first door, once you go down the steps, there's a missing wall texture where the river of blood goes into the wall:

2. The teleport after you get the red key only works once. Afterwards you just fall into the hole.

Other than that, it was a jolly good romp. My personal opinion though is that it is still pretty easy on UV.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

re: Brutal Doom: I'm not designing my map with it in mind, but we should remember that the original Doom games weren't designed for BD either, and they work fine enough (if you ignore a couple traps later on in Doom 2/Plutonia, as well as that Imp trap in The Factory). So I'm working with Vanilla in mind but will probably playtest it in BD when I get the chance, just to see if there are any moments where BD totally upsets the map balance (there's one I've realised already which involves a Pain Elemental in close quarters - a fun, satisfactory part of the map in Vanilla, but basically suicide in BD due to the PE's fire damage)

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It's just that I'm really opposed to putting in a secret that would trivialize the map if it's easy to get to.
The only thing I can think of is putting it right at the exit; a timed door may also work, but if you put it in a place that can easily be overlooked then the player is basically being screwed over. The timed door would help in making the pace of the map feel more urgent, though!

Anyway, I played through the new Abattoir Blues and it still looks great, in terms of aesthetics. I was literally firing off my last shell on the last enemy (that wasn't a Lost Soul) though this time around, and I had 11% health (though that may just be my bad playing!), so maybe you could introduce a little more of both? I understand if you're aiming at that level of difficulty but I scraped 100% kills by the skin of my teeth.

John Carstairs posted:

I've just played through this and I have to say, it really is a nice map. Texture choice as a whole was pretty much spot-on and everything seemed to fit together nicely. Not too much of a challenge (I bezerked my way through about 50% of the whole map, to be honest, though that's because I love bezerk mode) but the flow of everything was smooth and it was fun to play through! I also enjoyed the secret that required the red keycard, though I feel you could have added a few higher-difficulty monsters, seeing as you gave me both a blue armour and a plasma rifle for my troubles. That area though, for the most part, was my favourite; even the atmosphere seemed tense, as if I'd went somewhere I should regret going to. So yeah, a couple revenants or an archvile or something there would have fit really well.

jimmy boag posted:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54418567/jimmy%20boag%202.wad

Here's my second map, it also includes an updated version of my first one.
I played this and I really liked how it opened up the more I explored the map. It honestly felt more like a Duke Nukem map than a Doom map, what with the sloped surfaces and the sewer design. Monster placement and difficulty balance was fine. I felt as if I wasn't being punished enough though for picking up things like keys, or the rocket launcher. Lower the bars and kill two imps, nothing else happens. :geno:

The update to the first map removed the excitement of the huge room full of enemies, because I had to flip more switches to open up areas. :( It also bugged the Baron out so he couldn't move, which needs fixing. It's a shame, as my favourite part of that map was turned into probably my least favourite because of that added switch (and the baron's placement). The archvile fight at the yellow key, however, was a lot of fun and a very nice addition to the map.

Anyway that's a lot of words for reviewing goon projects; Sanzuo, I only played the first version of your map so I don't feel it's appropriate to comment on design when you've aparently updated it significantly. I'll be sure to play it when I get the chance!

an_mutt fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 22, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

CoarsestGrate posted:

Went through Abattoir Blues just now, and found two things wrong with it (running GZDoom w/ Brutal Doom).

1. Shortly after the first door, once you go down the steps, there's a missing wall texture where the river of blood goes into the wall:

2. The teleport after you get the red key only works once. Afterwards you just fall into the hole.

Other than that, it was a jolly good romp. My personal opinion though is that it is still pretty easy on UV.

Thanks, I fixed the teleport chamber so it's repeatable. That was a mistake, making it a W1 instead of a WR. As far as the missing texture is concerned, I opened it up in Doombuilder and couldn't find anything--every line has a texture in that hallway. However, there was a vertex that could have been causing problems, so I got rid of it. Hopefully it's been fixed.

an_mutt posted:

The only thing I can think of is putting it right at the exit; a timed door may also work, but if you put it in a place that can easily be overlooked then the player is basically being screwed over. The timed door would help in making the pace of the map feel more urgent, though!

Anyway, I played through the new Abattoir Blues and it still looks great, in terms of aesthetics. I was literally firing off my last shell on the last enemy (that wasn't a Lost Soul) though this time around, and I had 11% health (though that may just be my bad playing!), so maybe you could introduce a little more of both? I understand if you're aiming at that level of difficulty but I scraped 100% kills by the skin of my teeth.

The secret was good advice, really. I put a time-sensitive closet with a Plasma Rifle and 3x Cells by the series of switches, so you can't get it right away, but you can snag it before you have to deal with the Mancubi, Pain Elemental, Arch Viles, or Baron. The hardest part was getting the "fast" door to close at juuuuust the right time. On the other hand, I added a little bit more health and swapped out some hitscan enemies with Imps, so that there's a larger emphasis on dodging projectiles, rather than being helplessly whittled down by fodder enemies.

I'm torn on upping the difficulty on Abattoir Blues simply because I'm getting a lot of feedback saying it's just about right, already. CoarsestGrate, you might just have to play worse. :3:

Obviously you guys don't need to keep downloading these updated versions, but I've taken some of the comments and re-worked both maps. Suicides and Abattoir Blues. Temporarily taken down to address some final issues.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 23, 2012

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm with the Abattoir Blues is too easy camp. Maybe I'm jaded cause I've been running through Hell Revealed on UV, but it felt like a cakewalk.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Obviously you guys don't need to keep downloading these updated versions, but I've taken some of the comments and re-worked both maps. Suicides and Abattoir Blues.
Your Abattoir Blues download leads to some 3kb wad file that doesn't have a valid level file in it.

Also I wouldn't advise internally naming your map stuff like "SUICIDES". It's better to keep it named with stuff like "MAP01" so that you can play it directly from ZDoom rather than Doom Builder.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

So here is my map at the moment, still needs work with item/monster placement. If you find any issues please let me know. I run using ultiamte doom (doom.wad) and not (doom2). Also since I am a stupid and don't know how to force the game to my map, type "map waste" in the console.

EDIT2: Removed link while I am fixing some things and adding a script.

EDIT: I just noticed some issues when running this in zdoom with hall of mirror effects. Its weird that in gzdoom I don't get that problem at all. I'll fix it tomorrow and leave this up, but only use it in GZdoom for the moment.

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 23, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

H2Omelon posted:

Your Abattoir Blues download leads to some 3kb wad file that doesn't have a valid level file in it.

Also I wouldn't advise internally naming your map stuff like "SUICIDES". It's better to keep it named with stuff like "MAP01" so that you can play it directly from ZDoom rather than Doom Builder.

Got it, I'll revert to generic MAP names. It seems really dumb that you aren't warned that you're basically breaking your map by doing that.

Also, I don't know what happened, but my copy of Abattoir (and all of the included back-ups) just went tits up. I reverted to a copy I had made elsewhere, but I'm not sure what happened. I guess I'm going to go ahead and increase the difficulty on Abattoir, then re-host both levels with the final corrections. Hopefully that will be that.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
I was trying to test out Brutal Doom v016test3 (as linked to here) and I'm getting a series of errors and log messages that are causing it to crash on start. Using the OS X, Cocoa version of GZDoom, and I pasted the log messages here: http://pastie.org/3836625

Reive
May 21, 2009

Fren posted:

I was trying to test out Brutal Doom v016test3 (as linked to here) and I'm getting a series of errors and log messages that are causing it to crash on start. Using the OS X, Cocoa version of GZDoom, and I pasted the log messages here: http://pastie.org/3836625

It's probably the Skulltag version dude, not compatible with Gzdoom.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Ah! You're right. Thanks.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Can anyone recommend a map pack/collection of SP maps for Duke Nukem 3D? I've played a ton of the Attrition mod, and I intend on continuing to do so, but with user maps not already included in the mod. If someone could point me to a nice, neat collection of any caliber (besides the 5000+ duke levels thing out there), I'd appreciate it :3:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Morter posted:

Can anyone recommend a map pack/collection of SP maps for Duke Nukem 3D? I've played a ton of the Attrition mod, and I intend on continuing to do so, but with user maps not already included in the mod. If someone could point me to a nice, neat collection of any caliber (besides the 5000+ duke levels thing out there), I'd appreciate it :3:

I'm also interested in answers to this, I love War of Attrition (more than AMC, sorry JBlade) and some more maps to play it with would be great.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
Whatever this major Goonwad thing is, I'm in. I'm more of a DECORATE coder than a mapper, but I definitely have some mapping experience up my sleeve as far as level creation and design is concerned.

The main WAD I'm working on right now has something to do with jumping ninjas and is mainly an experimentation with how far I can push doom's AI while also having Painkiller-like gameplay with a gothic ambience to it. You can grab it here, but it needs the latest version of GZDoom to run properly.

It doesn't have a lot in the level to show off all of my DECORATE work in now, but you can fart around with the weapons I put in. Mainly the ones that allow you to saw ninjas in half and knee them in the face.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So you guys making custom maps. How hard would these be for someone who finds Hurt Me Plenty with Brutal Doom a decent challenge? I am not good at FPS games. :smith:

Looking forward to the next release of Brutal Doom though. :haw:

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So you guys making custom maps. How hard would these be for someone who finds Hurt Me Plenty with Brutal Doom a decent challenge? I am not good at FPS games. :smith:

Looking forward to the next release of Brutal Doom though. :haw:

I made an effort to scale my map from retarded-easy to crazy hard. Difficulty selection should work.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

If any of you guys are still playing the AMC TC or were on the fence about trying it I just released a new version with alot of fixes and improvements over the last one (most notable a setting that removes slimers :v: ) as well as a bunch of new content (including an extended ending for beating the game on the hardest difficulty mode) You can grab it here

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Jblade posted:

If any of you guys are still playing the AMC TC or were on the fence about trying it I just released a new version with alot of fixes and improvements over the last one (most notable a setting that removes slimers :v: ) as well as a bunch of new content (including an extended ending for beating the game on the hardest difficulty mode) You can grab it here

I'm downloading this now - if it's good fun, it'll probably be the freeware pick o' the day over at IndieGameMag. Been meaning to download it for some time, but never got round to it.

Edit: I spent a couple hours with it, and I dig it! Gave it some long, hard (column) inches here.

Edit 2: A little further thought - there's some really good level design here. The second mission of the first episode sent some chills down my spine. However - and correct me if I'm wrong, because I might be - but are some of these jumps just plain impossible with the slower characters? With some, such as Rusty Nail, I can't even clear the tutorial sprint-jump, even when absolutely pixel perfect. I had to noclip past a few bits as early as level 3.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 23, 2012

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

So, after trying a whole mess o' times, I really cannot get sprint-jumping to work in AMC. And I have no idea why I'm having this problem - am I missing something glaringly obvious here?

Maybe it's due to this from the fix log?

quote:

-Fixed being able to sprint whilst not on the ground

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 23, 2012

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Yeah, it's due to that fix. gently caress it! Thanks for the write-up, I appreciate it. This will fix that error, but it's not compatible with save games since Duke saves the code files inside the actual savegames themselves:

http://www.mediafire.com/?gg5bokbxg5ey53a

Just unzip that into the directory. I'll have to post about this on moddb as well.

The characters all move at the same speed but the size of the weapon you're carrying affects sprint time, something that I didn't explain for some stupid reason. The weapon system itself needs big changes for Episode 2 in anycase since there's lots of things not explained too well.

Jblade fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 23, 2012

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

An additional issue - before starting a mission it tells me to buy upgrades and get my loadout sorted out. Which I do. And then the mission starts and I have no equipment or upgrades at all - the only thing that seems to carry over is any leftover money. I'm assuming I'm just being dumb here, though.

Seriously though, the design on level 2 & 3 are fantastic. Sucks that a bug like that managed to sneak through.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 23, 2012

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Okay, here is my map with the problems fixed and had to rework how some monster traps behaved due to fixing the sky. Doors need a ceiling next to it that isn't the ground and the renderer only ignores textures on the upper half if they have the sky texture as the ceiling. Resorted to using teleportgroup functions but it doesn't keep them at the height I would like them.

http://www.mediafire.com/?djasi68umsoiioc

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Dominic White posted:

An additional issue - before starting a mission it tells me to buy upgrades and get my loadout sorted out. Which I do. And then the mission starts and I have no equipment or upgrades at all - the only thing that seems to carry over is any leftover money. I'm assuming I'm just being dumb here, though.

Seriously though, the design on level 2 & 3 are fantastic. Sucks that a bug like that managed to sneak through.
For some reason upgrades aren't carrying over, I'll have to look into that. You should be given your equipment that you assigned to your character in the loadout terminal though in the later levels though. I'll take a quick look around myself and see if I can spot why this is.

Glad you're enjoying the mod though, the later levels are even better than the first few (My favourite of the mod being Millhaven; I put together the finishing cutscenes and stuff but the map itself was by Rusty Nails who's the character you play as well)

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Yeah, I'd just gotten to Millhaven, but was finding it rather difficult as I was starting out with only my non-upgraded pistol, which isn't much help against a dozen or so tommygun cultists.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Dominic White posted:

Yeah, I'd just gotten to Millhaven, but was finding it rather difficult as I was starting out with only my non-upgraded pistol, which isn't much help against a dozen or so tommygun cultists.
For what it's worth, the upgrade only makes it fire with semi-auto - you can find a second pistol inside a little house near the beginning. The Revolver's alt-fire if held down does much more damage when fully charged (you can tell when this is as the screen stops shaking) Also make sure you're aiming for the head; if you've got it enabled, disabling auto-aim makes it much much easier to hit enemies in the head as it automatically shoots at an enemy's centre otherwise.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Aaah, it looks like you do keep your loadout if you start a mission via the terminal just off the side of the weapon upgrade shop, but if you start it via the briefing, then you lose it all.

Suggestion for a lazy workaround: Just have the briefing end take you back to the AMC base, then tell the player to gear up and pick the mission from that screen.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Dominic White posted:

Aaah, it looks like you do keep your loadout if you start a mission via the terminal just off the side of the weapon upgrade shop, but if you start it via the briefing, then you lose it all.

Suggestion for a lazy workaround: Just have the briefing end take you back to the AMC base, then tell the player to gear up and pick the mission from that screen.

This is consistent with what I've observed where I start the first mission (through the briefing) with nothing but then when I start the totally-not-Doom mission I have my guns again. I thought this was intentional - you lose your weapons when you get shot down at the start, and then have a chance to rearm on the way to the moonbase. (Nice use of Wing Commander graphics there, incidentally, although it doesn't play nice with widescreen.)

Then again, for some reason I lose everything again when I start the mission after that when I go through the portal to hell, and then I get to the giant throbbing flesh tower and, well, gently caress that level entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

ToxicFrog posted:

Then again, for some reason I lose everything again when I start the mission after that when I go through the portal to hell, and then I get to the giant throbbing flesh tower and, well, gently caress that level entirely.

You're meant to lose everything for that level - you've got to rely solely on whatever strange weapons you can get your hands on.

And that tower was amazing. I never knew the Build engine could do organic environments that... icky.