Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Fo3 posted:

New Aussie falcon 4cyl ecoboost in on sale as of today
As you know the falcon is the RWD family car, full sized sedan.
2L 4cyl turbo ecoboost engine with 179kW, 353Nm of torque(@2000 RPM), economy is 8.1L/100Km
(The current 4L straight 6cyl NA engine is 195kW, 391Nm torque and ~10L/100Km)

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-news/falcon-fourcylinder-arrives-20120423-1xfo8.html

For lazy Americans, the new engine's specs are 243 hp, 260 ft-lbs, and 29 MPG and the old engine's specs are 265 hp, 288 ft-lbs, and 23.5 MPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusVult
Mar 23, 2007
Is convertible SUVs really going to be a thing now? Ranger rover just came out with a Evoque convertible concept. Admittedly it looks better than the Murano, but still, why?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Because "turning SUVs into convertibles" is going to be the next 4 years' "let's make sure we have a big bulky SUV in our staple (see: Hummer)"

Lazor
Sep 9, 2004

Thwomp posted:

Because "turning SUVs into convertibles" is going to be the next 4 years' "let's make sure we have a big bulky SUV in our staple (see: Hummer)"

I don't think convertible SUVs are really a new thing.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

♪ One of these things is not like the others ♫
♫ One of them just doesn't belong ♪

anonumos fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 23, 2012

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Lazor posted:

I don't think convertible SUVs are really a new thing.

It's all weird now, those were all convertibles because it's a cheap BOF and losing the top doesn't kill the structural integrity, save for rollovers. They're all eminently useful as well. The new crop of CUVs are all boulevard cruisers that cost an arm and a leg while serving no purpose other than to make the driver look like an idiot with too much money.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

DeusVult posted:

Is convertible SUVs really going to be a thing now? Ranger rover just came out with a Evoque convertible concept. Admittedly it looks better than the Murano, but still, why?

I would drive that.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

law abiding rapist posted:

to make the driver look like an idiot with too much money.

You've found the American Dream. Quick, take a picture before the illusion fades...

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

boulevard cruisers that cost an arm and a leg while serving no purpose other than to make the driver look like an idiot with too much money.

How is this different from a normal convertible car?

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.

Faerunner posted:

I would drive that.

With my full face tinted helmet.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Cream_Filling posted:

They're much larger and therefore friendlier to olds with bad hips and people who got used to looking over normal cars instead of at them.

(I think you should have to get a special $1000 license to drive anything bigger or more powerful than a miata or fortwo.)

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Faerunner posted:

I would drive that.

What're the opportunity costs like? I'd rather take a Z4, Corvette, Boxster/Cayman, or like 2 Miatas.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

BonzoESC posted:

They're much larger and therefore friendlier to olds with bad hips and people who got used to looking over normal cars instead of at them.

(I think you should have to get a special $1000 license to drive anything bigger or more powerful than a miata or fortwo.)

I meant in the context of that description.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Cream_Filling posted:

Most convertibles look good, not like bathtubs with wheels.

Miata.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Most convertibles look good, not like bathtubs with wheels.

Miata.

A Miata basically looks like a bar of soap with wheels.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Cream_Filling posted:

A Miata basically looks like a bar of soap with wheels.

Maybe the old ones, but any Miata can be used for more than cruising down the street looking like a tool. A convertible basically has to do one or both:

A) Look good
B) Be fun to drive

That thing does neither.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Maybe the old ones, but any Miata can be used for more than cruising down the street looking like a tool. A convertible basically has to do one or both:

A) Look good
B) Be fun to drive

That thing does neither.

Yeah but it's really good at making you look like a tool. Some people will go for that. It also looks better than the Murano, if it's any consolation. Although we haven't seen it with its top up yet.

Lamborghini debuted their new SUV, too. Maybe we'll start seeing some real competition in the growing giant convertible SUV demographic.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

A) Look good
B) Be fun to drive

That thing does neither.

Please detail to us your test drive of the Evoque Convertible Concept.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Cream_Filling posted:

Yeah but it's really good at making you look like a tool. Some people will go for that. It also looks better than the Murano, if it's any consolation. Although we haven't seen it with its top up yet.

Lamborghini debuted their new SUV, too. Maybe we'll start seeing some real competition in the growing giant convertible SUV demographic.

On the plus side none of us will ever see any of the above more than an Aztek.

DeusVult
Mar 23, 2007

Faerunner posted:

I would drive that.

That is probably the cars most flattering angle, these not as much. Things got quite an rear end.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
It's ugly but they'll probably sell a shitload of them.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Ha ha what the gently caress Toyota:

http://wardsauto.com/management-amp-strategy/scion-killing-xb-xd-favor-all-new-models

quote:

LAS VEGAS – Toyota's Scion brand will jettison its xB boxy compact and xD subcompact hatchback in favor of all-new models, WardsAuto learns.

"We don't have plans for a direct xB or xD replacement," Jack Hollis, vice president-Scion says in an interview during a Scion FR-S media drive here.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
I love the regular Evoque, but the convertible is just :barf:. I'm not exactly sure what it is that I don't like, but I feel the same way about the Mini Cooper 'vert too. It looks like somebody tried to butch-up a VW Cabriolet.

Cream_Filling posted:

Ha ha what the gently caress Toyota:

http://wardsauto.com/management-amp-strategy/scion-killing-xb-xd-favor-all-new-models

So, they gently caress up the xB by removing every unique styling element it had and replaced with with a generic CUV that was lackluster in every way. Then they decide to give it the ax because of poor sales instead of returning it to its roots?

What the gently caress is right. The solution is pretty simple: stretch a Corolla chassis, then put a box on it. That is it, that is exactly the vehicle a lot of people want. Something that is cheap and utilitarian as gently caress, and looks the part.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

So Scion will have the FR-S, tC and iQ - a real sports car, a fake sports car, and a roller skate.

Great lineup.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DeusVult posted:

That is probably the cars most flattering angle, these not as much. Things got quite an rear end.

Am I just getting tool old for this poo poo? Because that looks so much worse.

It's like someone with a sawzall, 3D printer, and a couple tubes of 3M FasTack was told "just make it work".

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

oRenj9 posted:

What the gently caress is right. The solution is pretty simple: stretch a Corolla chassis, then put a box on it. That is it, that is exactly the vehicle a lot of people want. Something that is cheap and utilitarian as gently caress, and looks the part.

No, that's how they made the new xB (which is also badged as the Corolla Rumion in Japan) and every other small CUV. The original xB had an overall length of 155 inches, which is close to two feet shorter than the current Corolla.

See, some dingus in Toyota NA complained that the xB was "too Japanese" and too small. So they added one foot in length, 700 lbs in curb weight, and $3000 to the MSRP to "fix" it. Then, they sold it in the midst of a massive recession that's resulted in 20+% youth unemployment. But, clearly, the original was just a fad since people stopped buying it even after they "fixed" it.

The original was a small, fun little box that only cost $14k, could carry a lot, and got good mileage. It was also unique and nobody sold anything like it. The redesign was fat, cost $17k, and got 24 mpg, making it basically identical to the Honda Element and tons of other CUV'd cute ute SUVs like the RAV4, etc.. It even looked rounded and fat like a RAV4. And then they act shocked when it doesn't do well, even though competitors like the Kia Soul sell pretty decently. It turns out that redesigning your surprise hit product to remove all the things that make it different from other products on the market may in fact lead to reduced sales.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 24, 2012

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Cream_Filling posted:

See, some dingus in Toyota NA complained that the xB was "too Japanese" and too small. So they added one foot in length, 700 lbs in curb weight, and $3000 to the MSRP to "fix" it. Then, they sold it in the midst of a massive recession that's resulted in 20+% youth unemployment or more. But, clearly, the original was just a fad since people stopped buying it even after they "fixed" it.

I see stuff like that all the time in my line of work. I can only shake my head and hope people get fired for those decisions. It's pretty simple:

CEO looks at sales spreadsheet.
Notices the pre-redesign model of a car clearly outsells the poo poo out of the "new and improved" model for the exact reasons it was changed away from the "selling like hotcakes" older model.
CEO goes to whoever redesigned the model and literally kicks their rear end out of the company and makes sure they never work in the industry again.

But maybe I'm just being cynical.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

BoostCreep posted:

I see stuff like that all the time in my line of work. I can only shake my head and hope people get fired for those decisions. It's pretty simple:

CEO looks at sales spreadsheet.
Notices the pre-redesign model of a car clearly outsells the poo poo out of the "new and improved" model for the exact reasons it was changed away from the "selling like hotcakes" older model.
CEO goes to whoever redesigned the model and literally kicks their rear end out of the company and makes sure they never work in the industry again.

But maybe I'm just being cynical.

So, the Fox TV model of managemenet?

hahahah I looked up the numbers

pre:
Year	Kia Soul	Scion xB	Nissan Cube	Scion xD
2006			61,306				32,603
2007			45,834				20,495 
2008			45,220				27,704
2009	31,620		25,361		21,471		14,502
2010	67,110		20,364		22,968		10,110
2011	102,267		17,017		14,459		9573
Attention Scion: you are run by dumbfucks.

The ugly as gently caress Nissan Cube outsold you guys simply by virtue of not being a fat CUV like you turned the xB into. As soon as Kia and Nissan started selling stuff more similar to the old xB than the new xB, your sales loving cratered and never recovered.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 24, 2012

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I wonder how the new Caddy ATS will be received by folks. I think it's a great idea, I just hope they can execute. I know it's taking on the 3 series and C class, but those are hard cars to unseat without some compelling features or price point.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Holy mother of gently caress that's a lot of Souls. It makes sense, though - at that price point for a stylish city run-about and stuff hauler it's a no-brainer.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Cream_Filling posted:

No, that's how they made the new xB (which is also badged as the Corolla Rumion in Japan) and every other small CUV. The original xB had an overall length of 155 inches, which is close to two feet shorter than the current Corolla.

Goddamn, the Corolla is a much bigger car than I thought. I guess that was part of the magic of the xB, it seemed a lot bigger than that on the inside.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP
The thing I find most baffling about those honda element / scion xb type cars is the horrible gas mileage for what you get. I have a coworker who drives a 2008 element and he religiously tracks his mileage. He's averaged about 21mpg over the course of ownership, with 17-19mpg when he does a lot of city driving. From the exact same powertrain that gets 30+ mpg in the accord. I guess making a car as aerodynamic as a rolling barn has its downsides.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

lazer_chicken posted:

The thing I find most baffling about those honda element / scion xb type cars is the horrible gas mileage for what you get. I have a coworker who drives a 2008 element and he religiously tracks his mileage. He's averaged about 21mpg over the course of ownership, with 17-19mpg when he does a lot of city driving. From the exact same powertrain that gets 30+ mpg in the accord. I guess making a car as aerodynamic as a rolling barn has its downsides.

Yeah, large frontal area + high ride height does that to you. The ones that sell well get decent mileage, though, but also they have much less frontal area and lower ride heights. The 2012 Soul is rated at 29/32/36 and the Cube is 27/28/31. I can't think of any other little box cars off the top of my head, though. The Soul weighs like 2600 lbs and has 1.6 and 2 liter engines, so I'd expect real world mileage to be roughly similar.

Hell, the sad part is that the new xB was actually outsold for a while by the Honda Element, a car that hadn't been significantly redesigned since 2002.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 24, 2012

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mr.Radar posted:

For lazy Americans, the new engine's specs are 243 hp, 260 ft-lbs, and 29 MPG and the old engine's specs are 265 hp, 288 ft-lbs, and 23.5 MPG.

Carting just shy of 4000lbs.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Holy mother of gently caress that's a lot of Souls. It makes sense, though - at that price point for a stylish city run-about and stuff hauler it's a no-brainer.

I got driven around in one the other day. The ride was really, really loving harsh. This was in Montreal, mind you, where the roads are more or less in the same condition as the roads on the moon. It was a pretty nice car in all other respects though.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Carting just shy of 4000lbs.

Press release says 1648 kg or about 3600 lbs. Not exactly amazing, but the Toyota Avalon's of similar size and it's in that weight ballpark, while the Dodge Charger's like 4000 lbs.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 24, 2012

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Cream_Filling posted:

Press release says 1648 kg or about 3600 lbs.

In terms of size is it pretty comparable to the Fusion? I assume the 2013 will come out around 3400 with the 2.0L turbo, so that doesn't seem too unreasonable for something similar with RWD and maybe some extras to be 200lbs heavier.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

davebo posted:

In terms of size is it pretty comparable to the Fusion? I assume the 2013 will come out around 3400 with the 2.0L turbo, so that doesn't seem too unreasonable for something similar with RWD and maybe some extras to be 200lbs heavier.

It's about 3 inches longer at 195.1 inches long vs the Fusion's 192" and Camry's 189", though it is an older design (2008 i think). It's never coming here but it sounds like it would be pretty competitive if it did.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Cream_Filling posted:

Press release says 1648 kg or about 3600 lbs. Not exactly amazing, but the Toyota Avalon's of similar size and it's in that weight ballpark, while the Dodge Charger's like 4000 lbs.

The dodge charger wishes it was 4000lbs. Motor trend weighed the SRT8 in at 4271 lbs

edit: the cadillac xts is listed at 3995lbs in fwd/3.6, it's the same platform the impala will be built on, and the impala is set to be powered by a 2.4l i4 with 184hp and 172ft/lbs of torque.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Powershift posted:

The dodge charger wishes it was 4000lbs. Motor trend weighed the SRT8 in at 4271 lbs

Yeah that's definitely fat as gently caress, but it does have 6 liter engine and pushrod or not that's gonna be heavy. The new redesigned 2012 Charger is listed at 3961 lbs for the base V6, which isn't that horrible. We're comparing base engines, after all. The new V6 in the Charger puts out a bit less than 300 hp, so not too bad.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 24, 2012