Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Jewel posted:

To everyone talking about TCAF, please, don't cosplay. The people who run it got very mad and disappointed at people cosplaying, because it's not a convention. There was a lot of posts on Tumblr about it a few weeks ago (I can't find it currently sadly), but even on TCAF's main page, they specifically say no cosplay. Homestuck cosplayers were the main culprit last time.

What if Karkat is my normal everyday attire? :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Ammat The Ankh posted:

troll-cosplayers-spitting-in-a-bucket-at-dennys.flv

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!
Well that was a very respectful yet assertive message. Isn't that nice. I hope people actually listen to it.

Also dammit Homestucks, way to wreck a convention :(

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

My trollsona :qq:

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
So, is this page going to be a weak Gamzee joke or what?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

WAR FOOT posted:

So, is this page going to be a weak Gamzee joke or what?

I hope not, but it's going to take a miracle to stop it from happening. :downsrim:

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Jewel posted:

To everyone talking about TCAF, please, don't cosplay. The people who run it got very mad and disappointed at people cosplaying, because it's not a convention. There was a lot of posts on Tumblr about it a few weeks ago (I can't find it currently sadly), but even on TCAF's main page, they specifically say no cosplay. Homestuck cosplayers were the main culprit last time.

Don't worry, Hussie mentioned that bit. It just wasn't in the copy-n-paste above. Here's the whole thing:

quote:

About conventions:

I will go to some this year. You should come too. First two on the list, and only ones set in stone for now are:

Toronto Comic Arts Festival - May 5th - 6th
A note: they request that you please do not cosplay at this event! It is held in a very crowded library and is not the right venue for that. You can still wear Homestuck shirts though. Basically if it doesn't look much like a costume, you're fine.

San Diego Comic Con
- July 12th - 15th
However at SDCC, cosplay is not only welcome, it is encouraged. Feel free to completely swamp this thing with Homestuck characters. Let's outnumber all the storm troopers, animes and Spider Men combined. We will show up on the news under the headline, "COMIC CON RUINED FOREVER: HOMESTUCK OFFICIALLY REPLACES STAR WARS." I give you my blessing to make this happen, and reserve the right to renounce all personal responsibility.

I'll have specific signing times for both events, but I don't know exactly when those times will be yet! I will let you know when I do.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
You know it only just hit me but in light of Roxy living in sea hitlers future water apocalypse, being drunk all the time seems more understandable :smith:

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

You know, I just remembered something. Doesn't the White Queen have the scepter? And isn't it just the two scepters needed to start the Reckoning? Or maybe the scepter and crown, I don't remember. Either way, the tools necessary for starting the Reckoning might still exist, even without the kings and Battlefield (and the White Queen must have the scepter for a reason).

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Captain Oblivious posted:

You know it only just hit me but in light of Roxy living in sea hitlers future water apocalypse, being drunk all the time seems more understandable :smith:
But her pre-scratch self was drunk all the time anyway. I don't think environment is the cause; Roxy's just an alcoholic.

Which is actually kinda a bit more :smith:

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Starmaker posted:

You know, I just remembered something. Doesn't the White Queen have the scepter? And isn't it just the two scepters needed to start the Reckoning? Or maybe the scepter and crown, I don't remember. Either way, the tools necessary for starting the Reckoning might still exist, even without the kings and Battlefield (and the White Queen must have the scepter for a reason).

Queens - Rings
Kings - Scepters

Both types give the prototypings to whoever wields them.

The White King's scepter starts the reckoning. But there is no battlefield in this session, just the broken one coming with the kids.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Apr 24, 2012

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

MrBims posted:

Queens - Rings
Kings - Scepters

Both types give the prototypings to whoever wields them.

The White King's scepter starts the reckoning. But there is no battlefield in this session, just the broken one coming with the kids.

The WQ appeared to have the scepter here! Queens seem to plan ahead, so maybe she saw the null session and the destruction of the unprototyped battlefield coming and secured the scepter.

But we still know there won't be a reckoning because one didn't happen by Dirk and Roxy's time.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

creationist believer posted:

The WQ appeared to have the scepter here! Queens seem to plan ahead, so maybe she saw the null session and the destruction of the unprototyped battlefield coming and secured the scepter.

But we still know there won't be a reckoning because one didn't happen by Dirk and Roxy's time.

I know. It just doesn't matter at this time.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I just had a thought. Obviously there's no reckoning on B2 Earth, because B2 Skaia got blown up. But what if Jade gets B1 Skaia into place and then B2's reckoning starts bombarding it, and B1 Skaia doesn't have any defense portals left? Or maybe it does but the meteors go to B1 Earth? Probably pointless speculation, but whatever.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think Jade brought over just the checkerboard Battlefield on the inside, not the blue cloudy glowing planet outside part. Assuming that part exists in the B2 Medium, it should still be equipped with defense portals.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Fister Roboto posted:

The Sand Diego Convention Center will sink into the ocean under the weight of a thousand Vriskas.

Really, it only ought to take two or three of 'em.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
My local anime convention has a Homestuck panel this year. On the one hand, I'm morbidly curious. On the other, Homestuck fans.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Casull posted:

My local anime convention has a Homestuck panel this year. On the one hand, I'm morbidly curious. On the other, Homestuck fans.

Go, if only to bring back funny stories and terrible cosplays.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Wait, that's...what? What? What?!? :stare:

The symbol....huh?!?

I suddenly understand jack poo poo :stonk:

Edit: Wait, the Condesce was married to English, and now fears him? Herp derp I can't read!

:psyboom: I'm so lost

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 24, 2012

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Oh poo poo.

Oh poo poo.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

So Jade founded SkaiaNet (SN?) in the scratched session and also other things I am too preoccupied to suss out. Right?

FutureSushi
Jan 12, 2011

Did I miss anything important?
So Vriska / Tavros symbols flashing on the Condesce's head sure all hell of ominous

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

wait what the gently caress are you doing Vriska

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
I really hope we get another Jadesprite now.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I think Dirk was saying that the Condesce was trying to get the psychic powers of other castes, like Vriska's and Tavros'. That's probably all the symbol was there for.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
And thus, as it is with loving everything in this comic, Vriska did it™.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Fucknag posted:

I think Dirk was saying that the Condesce was trying to get the psychic powers of other castes, like Vriska's and Tavros'. That's probably all the symbol was there for.

Oh, right. Duh.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So... the entire reason that Jake has English's name and has so much English-derived stuff and all that stuff that we've been madly making theories about is... because Jade decided to gently caress with the Condesce's head?

Man Jade is/was a badass. :hellyeah:

John on the other hand :downs:

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Fucknag posted:

Vriska doesn't have psychic powers just because of her caste. She is, from everything we've seen and read, unique about that as a higher blood. The mutant genes are more prevalent in lower castes where trolls are simultaneously psychically powerful and very receptable to psychic manipulation - Sollux and Tavros are psychic but easy to control, Terezi and Equius not psychic but immune to control.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I can't wait until Jake meets Jade, if only so that he can see his grandama again. :unsmith:

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Tollymain posted:

So... the entire reason that Jake has English's name and has so much English-derived stuff and all that stuff that we've been madly making theories about is... because Jade decided to gently caress with the Condesce's head?

The question then is why LE has Jake's name, not the other way around.

quote:

Man Jade is/was a badass. :hellyeah:

Apparently the only way the Condesce could kill her was to wait until she was 90+ years old and ambush her in the dead of night, personally. Something to think about.

VV

MrBims posted:

But he doesn't, according to what Dirk just now said.

quote:

TT: What kind of alien is named Crocker? It's probably just a name he stole from someone else, like the Baroness did.

No way this isn't going to be relevant in some timey-wimey fashion.

Walliard fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Apr 24, 2012

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Walliard posted:

The question then is why LE has Jake's name, not the other way around.

But he doesn't, according to what Dirk just now said.

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer
It's probably just her hair, but it almost looks like Jade's got a God Tier hood.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah it's probably a deliberate allusion.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Roger Explosion posted:

And thus, as it is with loving everything in this comic, Vriska did it™.

Oh snap, I was interpreting it as the Condesce was using their powers.

This is the best update. Everything leading back to Vriska, and confirmation that Jade was so loving awesome that the Condesce had to wait until she was old and decrepit to finally off her.

Grampa John is just depressing, because a lot of great comedians have said that comedy was a way for them to get over just how terrible their lives were, a method of dealing with depression and/or loneliness if you will.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Interesting dig on John here -- noting that he's seriously immune to witnessing hosed up poo poo. Maybe that's a function of the Maid of Life powers -- he's so "made of life" that nothing can dim his spirit? (Note that ancestors seem like they have the "theme" of the players they serve as ancestors to, not their alternate selves as players, e.g.: Aranea being a pirate (thief) rather than a healer (sylph,) B2 Rose being notoriously elusive to the press (void), etc.)

Either that, or it's just a dig at how B1 John hasn't had the big mental breakdown that everyone seems to think he should be having due to all the horseshit he's seen and done.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

MrBims posted:

Vriska doesn't have psychic powers just because of her caste. She is, from everything we've seen and read, unique about that as a higher blood. The mutant genes are more prevalent in lower castes where trolls are simultaneously psychically powerful and very receptable to psychic manipulation - Sollux and Tavros are psychic but easy to control, Terezi and Equius not psychic but immune to control.

I always figured that was Terezi's power, and Equius can be explained by being the hero of Void. But then why weren't Gamzee, Eridan, or Feferi ever controlled... maybe it just never came up?

But if they're immune, then how the hell would Vriska be controlling the Condesce?

And if she isn't, and Vriska is, then this would be irredeemably damning for Vriska. I'm not... I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Wrist Watch posted:

Grampa John is just depressing, because a lot of great comedians have said that comedy was a way for them to get over just how terrible their lives were, a method of dealing with depression and/or loneliness if you will.

I'm still rooting for the theory that John was secretly the head of the resistance, but became so good at hiding even the Condesce couldn't tell. He did spend his whole life with her, after all.

Also, this universe is incredibly depressing. Look at that baby Jake, look at him.

VVVVVV

Am I though? We really don't know one way or another. It could go either way, although Dirk mentioning her attempting to use psychic powers on humans and animals on the same page seems like proof. Still, it is pretty suss.

Starmaker fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Apr 24, 2012

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Starmaker posted:

But if they're immune, then how the hell would Vriska be controlling the Condesce?

And if she isn't, and Vriska is, then this would be irredeemably damning for Vriska. I'm not... I'm not sure how I feel about that.

You're interpreting it backwards -- the symbols are meant to illustrate that the Condesce is doing the controlling, not Vriska/Aranea/whoever.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

That exasperated "I know" of Dirk's amuses me. Jake loves him some skulls.

Also Jake's eventual connection to Lord English's origin is all the more ominously suggested, considering how prevalent circular cause and effect are in Homestuck.

Also also I think it might've been a nod to people's frustration with John's apparent unflappableness when Dirk remarks how he somehow became a cornball comedian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Starmaker posted:

But then why weren't Gamzee, Eridan, or Feferi ever controlled... maybe it just never came up?

It's mentioned, in the context of the Vast Glub, that the higher the blood caste, the more immune to psychic attack.