Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

BjornOfBorg posted:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/mummer :eng101:

e: And it's septon :eng101:

And it's septon because sept is french for seven. :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Cornwind Evil posted:

So, halfway through Book 1, my thoughts so far.

Boiled leather boiled leather boiled leather boiled leather BOILED LEATHER BOILED LEATHER BOILED LEATHER BOILED LEATHER...!

I know it's a legitimate kind of armor, and it's probably cheap and hence used by many people, either for padding or in and of itself, but I really wish GRRM would mix up his terms for it, even if he had to make up a word like mummer or septor for it. Does the rest of the series contain such a high number of references about BOILED LEATHER?

Yes, and there'll be other repeatedly used phrases, as you'll find soon enough. It gets worse in the last couple of books.

J. P. Beagley
Apr 11, 2008

GRRM must needs a thesaurus.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Naga Warlord posted:

GRRM must needs a thesaurus.

I think "must needs" is only syntactically correct with a plural subject.

Although GRRM might be large enough to qualify.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Dietrich posted:

You are not wrong.

super size soft serve
Aug 28, 2011

You think I'm fat, but it's an optical illusion.

geeves posted:

You are not wrong.

I don't give a groat what you people say, I have never been bothered by Gurm's repetitions.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

BjornOfBorg posted:

I don't give a groat what you people say, I have never been bothered by Gurm's repetitions.

I'd hope that was a jape, lest you make a mummer's farce of this discussion.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Urdnot Fire posted:

I'd hope that was a jape, lest you make a mummer's farce of this discussion.

These loving derails are more useless than nipples on a breastplate

J. P. Beagley
Apr 11, 2008

Dietrich posted:

Thank you for your leal grammatical service.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Well, after the bit in the Eyrie, the boiled leather references have stopped. For now.

Ironically, I just noticed that Zombie Lincoln, the OP, has a signature line based on a bit from the book that made me go "...yeah, I suspect I'm getting a look at what GRRM feels is important for all the wrong reasons".

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.
Every book has a word or phrase used over and over. And it lasts for only that book. Its loving weird and I don't get it. But it doesn't bother me as much as some people.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Well, having finished the first book, I came up with an analogy for one of its core tragedies that a friend of mine thought was really good.

Swearing an oath is like building a castle. You likely do your best to build it on firm, hard ground, but if that ground turns to sand through no fault of your own, it's probably best to just 'tear the castle down' and rebuild it elsewhere. If you don't, well...castles rarely collapse on just one head. I have to wonder if this lesson will be taken to heart.

Also, it really goes to show how stupid a certain female character is, at the heart of it. "In the game of thrones, you win or you die." She doesn't seem to realize that if you frame the game like that, there are NO winners in the end. I just hope when she loses, she loses goddamn loving HARD.

Now I need to find Book 2...which seems to be popular as all my libraries have it out, darn it...

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Naga Warlord posted:

Thank you for your leal grammatical service.

What does it matter? Words are wind.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

Every book has a word or phrase used over and over. And it lasts for only that book. Its loving weird and I don't get it. But it doesn't bother me as much as some people.

The only bread people eat in this world is either still warm from the ovens, or stale and used as trenchers.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

FateoMcSkippy posted:

The only bread people eat in this world is either still warm from the ovens, or stale and used as trenchers.

And most people prefer lemoncakes.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Urdnot Fire posted:

And most people prefer lemoncakes.
Because the vitamin C helps prevent scurvy. :pseudo:

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

What the gently caress Gurm, where's book six?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Armageddon-George-R-R-Martin/dp/0575129530/ref=sr_1_34?ie=UTF8&qid=1335273418&sr=8-34

Also if you read the books description it looks like the (really poo poo) cover is miselling it a bit as an ASOIAF-like book, when in fact it's got nothing to do with it.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
The Armageddon Rag: A compilation of all the Cersei and Dany chapters from the hit series A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

I'm sure we'll get an Armageddon Rag in one of the sex scenes in TWOW.

Hallgerd
Dec 10, 2011

pointsofdata posted:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Armageddon-George-R-R-Martin/dp/0575129530/ref=sr_1_34?ie=UTF8&qid=1335273418&sr=8-34

Also if you read the books description it looks like the (really poo poo) cover is miselling it a bit as an ASOIAF-like book, when in fact it's got nothing to do with it.

Yeah, that's exactly what it is. The publishers are trying to make a buck off some 1983 re-issue novel from G.R.R.M. because they know he's not writing anything soon, and might pop his clogs before he writes anything ever again.

It's UK-issued, right? He was just there on his European tour so it'll be trying to capitalize on that as well.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007
Maybe it's because I've been listening to the audiobooks and not actually reading them, but I've not once been bothered by repeated terms or words. The only thing I've noticed that's sort of bothered me was that when GRRM describes things he so often does it in a very predictable way. Like, he uses two things that are kind of obvious and than a third that's less obvious and maybe not even physical. It's hard to explain but it's something like (to use a completely made-up sentence):

"the toilet smelled of poo poo, and piss, and disappointment"

Sometimes it's more than three descriptors but it happens more often than I'd like, but other than that one thing I've been enjoying the hell out of these books. Just finished the third one and it was definitely the best so far.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

The nuncling and other repetitions didn't get bad until the fourth book, actually...

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
WHERE DO THE WHORES GO
WHERE DO THE WHORES GO, DAD
WHERE DO THEY GO
WHERE DO THE WHORES GO
~ ADWD

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

SpaceMost posted:

WHERE DO THE WHORES GO
WHERE DO THE WHORES GO, DAD
WHERE DO THEY GO
WHERE DO THE WHORES GO
~ ADWD

...he japed to his nuncle.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Something that grated on me a bit was his use of "raper" instead of "rapist". It just sounded weird to me. Like his use of "coz" instead of "cousin".

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Dietrich posted:

No, the problem is that "must needs" requires a verb.

She must needs be silenced.
They must needs keep the peace.
Grrm must needs write copiously.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Urdnot Fire posted:

Something that grated on me a bit was his use of "raper" instead of "rapist". It just sounded weird to me. Like his use of "coz" instead of "cousin".

I thought "raper" was weird too, along with "ser" and "southron", because it seemed totally unnecessary. But eventually I was like "gently caress it", at least those words sound similar to what they're replacing. It seems like every other fantasy author is replacing basic words like nephew with "sa' nevran" or some poo poo.

"Coz" never stood out to me because I thought it was real. V:v:V

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Isn't Jaime the only one who ever says "coz"? I thought it fit his personality :unsmith:

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

I never had a problem with changing words like raper for rapist or maester for master or ser for sir. In fact, I think its pretty brilliant because it looks and sounds familair to the real word yet just different enough that it seem foreign and/or historical. Same goes for his character naming scheme. I love it. And, like FourLeaf said, its 100x better than the standard fantasy poo poo of jumbled nonsense words.

The only word that bothers me in nuncle because it does not roll off the tougue very well. The 'nunc' sound is off-putting for some reason. It feels unnatural or something.

As for the "where do whores go" line, it was annoying but I think was purposeful in showing that character's mental state and obsession.

super size soft serve
Aug 28, 2011

Never had a problem with nuncle, because it's close to dialectal Dutch or Flemish 'nonkel'. So there's even a linguistic equivalent of it in another actual language. Also, how is 'nunc' an unnatural sound when English also has words like 'funk' and 'trunk'?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

peer posted:

Isn't Jaime the only one who ever says "coz"? I thought it fit his personality :unsmith:

Yeah, I suppose it makes sense for him to be using it.

Another weird thing was the use of leal instead of loyal in ADWD (and it was used quite a bit).

super size soft serve
Aug 28, 2011

It's used in earlier books already, though.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(

Urdnot Fire posted:

The "raper" thing is weird because he forgets about it in one book and uses "rapist".

Cross-posting something relevant I cooked up for the other thread:

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Zephonith posted:

The "raper" thing is weird because he forgets about it in one book and uses "rapist".

Oh my, the counts for "jape" and "nuncle"

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(

Urdnot Fire posted:

Oh my, the counts for "jape" and "nuncle"
I didn't sort between "jape", "japes", "japer", "japery" because :effort: but yeah...

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Just finished the second book and i'm seriously hooked. However that is tempered by the fact that i am so emotionally invested in certain houses and characters (both in praying they live and hoping each chapter involves the death of others) that i'm almost afraid to keep going lest my kindle goes flying at the wall.

Also regarding my kindle i kinda wish i had got a proper book as i found myself continually checking my ipad for a map to see where they were. Think i'm going to read them all once on ebook then get a set of matching hardbacks (do these exist yet?) like the folio society edition of LoTR i have.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

Zephonith posted:

You forgot "much and more". :haw:

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama

pointsofdata posted:

This book came out in the early 80s. Also gives hints as to GRRM's taste in music.

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

BjornOfBorg posted:

Never had a problem with nuncle, because it's close to dialectal Dutch or Flemish 'nonkel'. So there's even a linguistic equivalent of it in another actual language. Also, how is 'nunc' an unnatural sound when English also has words like 'funk' and 'trunk'?

Well, I'm not Dutch. Its just that combo of letters strikes me as wrong for some reason. My mind and tougue want to say either uncle or knuckle, not nuncle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Is there any reason why Westeros doesn't have any noble titles other than royalty (King, Queen, Prince, Princess), Lord/Lady and Ser? Other than "it's less confusing for the reader" and "it's easier for GRRM to write".

• Locked thread