Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Eggplant Ronin posted:

Can anyone recommend me some haunted house flicks? Good, bad or whatever.

The Old Dark House
The Haunting (1963)
House on Haunted Hill (original and remake, both pretty good)
House (1977)
The Changeling
Hammer House of Horror's "The House that Bled to Death"
Ghostwatch
A Tale of Two Sisters
Kwaidan
Crowhaven Farm
The Stone Tape
Ghost Story
Burnt Offerings
The Sentinel
Repulsion
From the BBC Ghost Story for Christmas series: The Ash Tree, Lost Hearts, The Signalman, A Warning to the Curious

Woo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Eggplant Ronin posted:

Can anyone recommend me some haunted house flicks? Good, bad or whatever.

nevermind, thanks penismightier

Eggplant Ronin
Apr 26, 2007

How you like my balls now?:smug:

penismightier posted:

The Old Dark House
The Haunting (1963)
House on Haunted Hill (original and remake, both pretty good)
House (1977)
The Changeling
Hammer House of Horror's "The House that Bled to Death"
Ghostwatch
A Tale of Two Sisters
Kwaidan
Crowhaven Farm
The Stone Tape
Ghost Story
Burnt Offerings
The Sentinel
Repulsion
From the BBC Ghost Story for Christmas series: The Ash Tree, Lost Hearts, The Signalman, A Warning to the Curious

Woo.

I just checked and a lot of these aren't on Instant.

Internet Gentleman
Mar 17, 2006

I'm so happy to be here.

Eggplant Ronin posted:

Can anyone recommend me some haunted house flicks? bad.

Paranormal Activity 2 (the first one is not on streaming)
Paranormal Entity (the knock-off)
Death of a Ghost Hunter
8213: Gacy House

Edit: to emphasize these are BAD!

Internet Gentleman fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 24, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
What the hell, don't watch Gacy House. Shame on you.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Eggplant Ronin posted:

I just checked and a lot of these aren't on Instant.

Aw poo poo, I thought this was the generic recommend me thread! My bad.

As a consolation, I forgot Waxwork 1 and 2 which are haunted house movies of a sort and are both on Instant.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Internet Gentleman posted:

Paranormal Activity 2 (the first one is not on streaming)
Paranormal Entity (the knock-off)
Death of a Ghost Hunter
8213: Gacy House

Edit: to emphasize these are BAD!

I actually think Paranormal Entity and PA2 are about as good as each other (not that bad).

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I actually think Paranormal Entity and PA2 are about as good as each other (not that bad).

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Paranormal Entity is a pretty okay little sleeper.

Okay, of my list, these ones are on Netflix:

House on Haunted Hill
A Tale of Two Sisters
Burnt Offerings
The Sentinel

Kind of slim pickings, but they're all quite good.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
PE is pretty drat decent, the only "mockbuster" thing about it is that it delivers on the tits that PA dangles in front of you.

A Tale of Two Sisters, for those who don't know, is the film that "inspired" The Uninvited.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I loved The Chaser, I Saw The Devil, The Man From Nowhere, and even Oldboy. There were a few others, but I can't remember their names at the moment. Can anyone recommend any similar, good Korean cinema? I've tried watching a few of the 2 and 3 star ones, didn't really dig them.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Barking Dogs Never Bite. Last I checked, that was still on there.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

red19fire posted:

I loved The Chaser, I Saw The Devil, The Man From Nowhere, and even Oldboy. There were a few others, but I can't remember their names at the moment. Can anyone recommend any similar, good Korean cinema? I've tried watching a few of the 2 and 3 star ones, didn't really dig them.
Thirst, and the other two parts of the Sympathy trilogy (Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance and Lady Vengeance) are also by the same director as Oldboy and are pretty good.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

red19fire posted:

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance is the first one in the so called "Vengeance Trilogy", and is still my favorite. Mother is really good, but starting to get away from the kind of action and style in the four you mentioned.

If you want to branch out even further, check out Castaway on the Moon, a movie that outdoes it's namesake and is also really funny, and Thirst, a vampire movie from Chan-wook Park that got a mixed reception but I really liked.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Adding another rec for Thirst. I loved it, wife "liked it but it was just kind of.... (long pause) weird. Like most Korean movies." I think she's specifically referring to Oldboy.

Edit: speaking of Korean movies, anybody seen I'm a Cyborg, but that's OK? Its another one on streaming by Chan Wook Park.

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 24, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm A Cyborg, But That's OK? is a really sweet movie that contains no gun violence or mutilation if I recall correctly.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

I'm A Cyborg, But That's OK? is a really sweet movie that contains no gun violence or mutilation if I recall correctly.

That's cool I've been meaning to check it out. It doesn't have to be all violence and mutilation, actually some of my favorite scenes in Thirst were the (few) nice slightly awkward moments. CWP is a great director.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Anyone know anything similar to the film Cropsey? I'm into stuff that is about local lore/legends and would love to see if there is anything similar to it out there.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

screenwritersblues posted:

Anyone know anything similar to the film Cropsey? I'm into stuff that is about local lore/legends and would love to see if there is anything similar to it out there.

Is that the one about the mental institution?

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

I want to smack who ever suggested Candyman The first half of the movie is about white people being afraid of black people because ghetto black people is scary, ya'll!

Then when you think it's gonna get good, the main actress starts getting whiny and annoying. Her friend is dead and what does she do? Why she starts whining under her breath!

Ugh.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

mds2 posted:

Is that the one about the mental institution?

Yes and the thing that supposedly lives in it. It expires Friday, so I plan on watching it at least one last time before then.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I saw and liked Mother, I'll definitely check out your other recommendations, thanks!

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Might as well add The Host to the Korean movie list.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Actually there is one scene where she sprouts machine guns and mows down the entire medical staff.
But yeah, it is a really sweet and fun movie.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

penismightier posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Paranormal Entity is a pretty okay little sleeper.

Okay, of my list, these ones are on Netflix:

House on Haunted Hill
A Tale of Two Sisters
Burnt Offerings
The Sentinel

Kind of slim pickings, but they're all quite good.

Seriously, watch House on Haunted Hill. It's so loving good.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

All these Korean movies and no The Good, The Bad, The Wierd? It's a pretty fun take on a spaghetti western.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Not sure if it really qualifies as a "haunted house movie" but House of the Devil is on Instant and is damned good. Session 9 is pretty great too, but it's about a sanitarium and not a house. I'm not sure how much that ruins it for you.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Sarchasm posted:

Not sure if it really qualifies as a "haunted house movie" but House of the Devil is on Instant and is damned good. Session 9 is pretty great too, but it's about a sanitarium and not a house. I'm not sure how much that ruins it for you.

Session 9 is good. It was one of the inspirations of Silent Hill!(the game not the terrible movie).

also the remake of House on Haunted Hill is actually pretty good! I recommend it to friends all the time.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Pontypool is definitely recommendable. I really don't get the people who argue that the third act poo poo the bed when it not only prevented the movie from going into cliched, zombie, territory but provided a cause that fit in perfectly with the overall theme of the movie. Our heroes spend the whole two acts searching for answers and to understand the situation when in the end, complete disassociation from reality and understanding is the only thing that can save you.I didn't find the idea of a "word virus" stupid here, in fact in this movie it makes PERFECT sense. The whole movie hinges on words, on dialogue, and on the spoken medium of radio. On top of that it is a discussion of gathering and understanding information through the media. With this setup, I don't see how the third act is at all out of place. It is presented as a clear commentary on the first two acts.

Now whether the film as a whole does well with this message is a different argument, but I just don't see it's inclusion as the major pratfall of this film.

Anyway, extremely tense and well done movie that anyone interested in a good thriller with a very interesting concept should check it out. I read someone of the forums describe it as a "reverse War of the Worlds" and that is rather accurate.

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Apr 24, 2012

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Bash Ironfist posted:

Session 9 is good. It was one of the inspirations of Silent Hill!(the game not the terrible movie).
Silent Hill predates Session 9 so I don't think that's true. I did like it though.

WeaponX posted:

Now whether the film as a whole does well with this message is a different argument, but I just don't see it's inclusion as the major pratfall of this film.
I liked that it contained social commentary while not really beating you over the head with it. (The fact that the main character is a shock jock who has fallen on hard times wasn't lost on me.) I think they could have done a little more with the idea of the struggle of the importance of staying on the air to report this stuff to spread awareness vs. the fact that doing so might actually be the cause of the problem in the first place.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

^Mreh.

Bash Ironfist posted:

It's more likely that the reverse is true. They definitely share a similar vibe, but Session 9 came out barely a month before Silent Hill 2 in 2001. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the movie had an impact on SH3, though, since the two have some overlapping imagery.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sarchasm posted:

It's more likely that the reverse is true. They definitely share a similar vibe, but Session 9 came out barely a month before Silent Hill 2 in 2001. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the movie had an impact on SH3, though, since the two have some overlapping imagery.

Silent Hill 3 does reference Session 9 pretty explicitly. Stolen from penismightier's blog:

Session 9, 2001

Silent Hill 3, 2003

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Both of those are referencing the Changeling!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

G-III posted:

Well, let's be fair here, John Carpenter was on a bit of a slide before Ghosts of Mars that started with Escape From L.A. From there he went to Vampires which was pretty abysmal after you take out the enjoyment of watching James Woods chewing as much scenery as humanly possible. By the time Carpenter got to Ghosts of Mars it almost seemed like he lost any and all capacity to make a good movie anymore.

I just watched Ghosts of Mars the other day. It's kind of a mystifying movie, since most of the time when people die nobody gives a drat. When Jason Statham; a main character, dies, it happens offscreen and nobody says a word about it. Also you get loud butt rock straight out of a Twisted Metal game and multiple decapitations via ninja star buzzsaw. Carpenter admitted that he was really burnt out at that point, and it shows. It's kind of fun for how bad it is though.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Is there any way to view Oldboy and the other two movies with subtitles instead of the English dubbed versions. A friend and I started watching it and the English dub just kind of ruins it for us.

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

Rurea posted:

Is there any way to view Oldboy and the other two movies with subtitles instead of the English dubbed versions. A friend and I started watching it and the English dub just kind of ruins it for us.

No, I think the dub is the only available one on there. I have never watched Oldboy all the way through because it bothered me so much too.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Rurea posted:

Hold on, I just streamed Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance a week or two ago and that was definitely subtitled. I haven't checked out Oldboy or Sympathy for Lady Vengeance yet but at least the first one is fine.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Yeah, I want to watch Oldboy, but I can't stand the dubbing.

Also I'm watching Dororo and it's pretty good! Japanese film about a dude who's taking his body parts back from 48 demons. I think there was a game made about it too.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011
The original G.I. Joe, Jem and Transformers series are all on streaming now. They're worth watching not because of nostalgia, but because how ridiculously awkward the animation was. Jem is probably the worst/best of the bunch just for how warped gravity and basic human actions turn into unintentional comedic gold.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Rurea posted:

If you have Amazon Prime, Oldboy is free to watch and it's the subtitled version. At least it was a couple of months ago when I watched it. It is a little disturbing, but at the same time, brilliantly acted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Past Tense Ragu
Oct 17, 2005

Here's a great article called Death Driving Ms. Henstridge about Ghosts of Mars that may improve the viewing experience: http://www.acidemic.com/id34.html . Falls neatly in line with the more recent Johnathan Lethem analysis of They Live. His movies are much funnier after critical inspection.

• Locked thread