Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So I'm officially further into the game than I've ever been before, but I encountered what I think was a bug. When trying to get into the monastery in the tutorial there's supposed to be a fire so you can meditate and drink the potions, right? I remember it being there from the first time I played (back when the game made my computer crash every five minutes). This time it wasn't there, so I had to fight all the drowners in the dark. That happen to anyone else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Lotish posted:

So I'm officially further into the game than I've ever been before, but I encountered what I think was a bug. When trying to get into the monastery in the tutorial there's supposed to be a fire so you can meditate and drink the potions, right? I remember it being there from the first time I played (back when the game made my computer crash every five minutes). This time it wasn't there, so I had to fight all the drowners in the dark. That happen to anyone else?

It's dark and you are supposed to drink the cat potion in order to gain you sight in the dark. I don't remember a fire.

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
You can meditate anywhere as long as there are no enemies around. Hold ctrl and select the center icon to start meditating. This game would be downright unplayable if you needed a fire...

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Yeah, I'm a little confused by this fire thing. It sounds like you're under the impression that you need fires to meditate. If that's what you're saying, then I think you're thinking of Dark Souls. In Witcher 2, you can mediate anywhere as long as there's no enemies around.

VVV Ahh, I see.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Apr 24, 2012

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Or he's thinking of Witcher 1 where you did need a fire to meditate.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!
That, or the Witcher 1, where you did need a fire to meditate. e:f,b

Did they ever tone down the Cat potion effects, by the way? I always avoided using them in my original playthrough since the loud heartbeat effect was annoying as hell, though this did make a certain part later on rather difficult to navigate.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I always hated Cat potions because I couldn't see the lights from my wolf medallion, making looting harder.

And I must have my monitor set brighter than other people, because the game never seemed dark enough for me to feel like I needed them.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Exodee posted:

That, or the Witcher 1, where you did need a fire to meditate. e:f,b

Did they ever tone down the Cat potion effects, by the way? I always avoided using them in my original playthrough since the loud heartbeat effect was annoying as hell, though this did make a certain part later on rather difficult to navigate.

You still get the heart beat sounds etc. It only last 5 minutes so it's now awful.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!
drat, I don't suppose there is a mod that changes this, is there? The Cat potion in the original Witcher was far less obnoxious.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Exodee posted:

drat, I don't suppose there is a mod that changes this, is there? The Cat potion in the original Witcher was far less obnoxious.

So was drinking potions, really.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Jetfire posted:

As far as horrifying moments go, Roche's path has it won with (pretty big spoiler) walking into the tent filled with hanging Blue Stripes whereas when I played Iorveth's path last time Dethmold's end was incredibly boring. Nothing like Roche carving his junk into a vagina in the middle of his BDSM session. Seriously, night and day there.

For me Iorveth's path wins the most horrifying moments, only because of Philippa getting her eyes gouged out. That seriously made my stomach turn.:barf:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Fuzz posted:

Roche is seriously one of the few genuinely likable characters in these games... Zoltan and Dandelion are two more. That was a large part of why I ended up siding with him my first playthrough, he was so much more likable than Iorveth.

And the Roche path for Chapter 2 is more depressing and close to the ambiguous nature of the world than the rebels heroically beat the odds story from the other path.

But people new to the game it's really worth it to replay Chapter from both sides since it adds much more interesting story depth to the game and the alternate paths are really fleshed especially for the quests design feels different enough despite having the same overall goal.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.

Omnides posted:

Or he's thinking of Witcher 1 where you did need a fire to meditate.

I'm not sure cause you don't need to meditate to drink potions in the first game. I'm reasonably sure there aren't any drowners in the tutorial section of the first game either. I think you just fight Salamandra and the Frightener or a Salamandra Mage.

Torsade de Pointes fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Apr 24, 2012

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Riso posted:

So was drinking potions, really.
Yes, having to meditate and being limited to 3 or 4 potions is annoying after the old system of drinking anything anytime(balanced with toxicity that weakens you and can even kill). Short of reloading how are you supposed to know when a hard battle is ahead to drink potion and which one? Also applying poison on your sword is somehow easier than gulping a potion and still can be done in mid-fight. :confused:

Mahuum Aqoha
Jan 15, 2004

SHEPARD!
Do it for the universe!
Fun Shoe
Something funny happened when I was playing this last night. I accidentally whipped my sword out in Flotsam and some woman shouted "JESUS CHRIST!" :v:

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

So I've already played through the vanilla version of this game, is is worth a reply for the EE? What's been added to the game?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The Aberrant posted:

So I've already played through the vanilla version of this game, is is worth a reply for the EE? What's been added to the game?

Some additional quests and additional extras such as more transition cut-scenes.

I haven't reached Act 3 yet since supposedly it got the most additional content due to all the whining about the final act being too threadbare.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

The Aberrant posted:

Dude, a second play through is worth it just to see the other side of Act 2. Do it.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
I have a question about sword of destiny, the book of short stories. I have the fan translation of all the chapters. What order do they go in so I can put them together in one file and put it on my kindle?

I want to read the series without becoming horribly confused.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Can someone give me a justification for going with Iorveth in chapter 2? I cannot think of any legitimate reason why I'd break up my bromance with Roche. :ohdear:

InvisibleHand
Aug 23, 2009
Nap Ghost

etalian posted:

Some additional quests and additional extras such as more transition cut-scenes.

I haven't reached Act 3 yet since supposedly it got the most additional content due to all the whining about the final act being too threadbare.

There are 2 new quests added to Act 3, one for each path.

Iorveth: You meet up with the Flotsam Alchemists and Cynthia again. If you choose to help them Geralt learns more about his past and more about the Wild Hunt. . The "reward" at the end of this one is ultimately useless game-wise but I thought it was really neat ( You get to magically spy for a bit on one character of your choosing, the right option is to obviously pick Dandelion)

Roche: You meet up with one of Roche's agents and delve into what happened to Foltest's bastards, namely Boussi.

Both are interesting and fairly long but nowhere near to the ~2 hours advertised by CDPR. As with everything in Act 3 you have to complete them before going into the summit.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

At least in chapter 1 they didn't do a good job of presenting Iorveth as anything but a bandit in the woods with delusions of grandeur (like probably all bandits in woods have). Loredo was a scumbag but it sure seemed like he had the right attitude towards the Scoiatel at least in that area.
I went with Iorveth in CH1 because Roche kept asking me to do his own thing while Iorveth had some hints of being an rear end in a top hat who was right. He turns out to be as much of a bro as Roche.

Still, looking forward to a hard playthrough with Roche before my final Dark playthrough with Iorveth. I went sword/signs at release and am trying to go sword/alchemy now, anything fun I should try with my 3rd Dark playthrough?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

poptart_fairy posted:

Can someone give me a justification for going with Iorveth in chapter 2? I cannot think of any legitimate reason why I'd break up my bromance with Roche. :ohdear:

Because picking Iorveth allows you to see some lesbomancy and also hang out with some crazy drunk dwarves.

On the other hand it will punish you will the classic cave maze exploring level.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

poptart_fairy posted:

There is some serious hinting (and more than hinting) through the prologue and chapter 1 that Roche is a violent bigot barely concealing constant, seething anger at the world; however, he is a good friend and ally to Geralt, so I am also inclined to side with him over the violent bigot elf who tried repeatedly to kill me and is an actual terrorist.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Donny posted:

There is some serious hinting (and more than hinting) through the prologue and chapter 1 that Roche is a violent bigot barely concealing constant, seething anger at the world; however, he is a good friend and ally to Geralt, so I am also inclined to side with him over the violent bigot elf who tried repeatedly to kill me and is an actual terrorist who happens to be a good ally and strong supporter of fantasy not-crazy Jeanne d'Arc and your friend Zoltan is at least mildly sympathetic to him
fixed that one. Also, Roche never sold me on the idea that he could help me find Letho while Iorveth did.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Ravenfood posted:

fixed that one. Also, Roche never sold me on the idea that he could help me find Letho while Iorveth did.

You never find out that extra stuff before your decision, though. I mean, yeah, you're ultimately right - in retrospect, I'd rather have helped Joan of Arc than King Rapey Murder.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

At least in chapter 1 they didn't do a good job of presenting Iorveth as anything but a bandit in the woods with delusions of grandeur (like probably all bandits in woods have). Loredo was a scumbag but it sure seemed like he had the right attitude towards the Scoiatel at least in that area.

Yeah, I accidentally chose Iorveth over Roche (I'm stupid and chose the wrong option at first.) but I didn't regret it. He's a pretty interesting and chill guy through-out. At first though he is portrayed as being nothing more than a puffed-up bandit though.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I don't seem to be able to pull of ripostes like they mention in the tutorial--the sword icon never shows up. What am I doing wrong?

Also--did my intimidation skill appear just by trying to intimidate someone? Is that how that works?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Iorveth is significantly less of an rear end in a top hat then Yeavinn in the first game.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Speedball posted:

I don't seem to be able to pull of ripostes like they mention in the tutorial--the sword icon never shows up. What am I doing wrong?

Also--did my intimidation skill appear just by trying to intimidate someone? Is that how that works?

On higher difficulty levels the help icon disappears.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

etalian posted:

I'm playing on Easy!

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

etalian posted:

The tutorial doesn't have a difficulty level in any case.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Donny posted:

You never find out that extra stuff before your decision, though. I mean, yeah, you're ultimately right - in retrospect, I'd rather have helped Joan of Arc than King Rapey Murder.
Ultimately I picked him first because Zoltan didn't think he was terrible and because he could help me find Letho while Roche wanted to drag me into more politics than Iorveth did.

trw
Dec 24, 2003

Speedball posted:

You must have the skill to do it, it's in the sword tree so you must be level 7+ to get it.

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.

InvisibleHand posted:

There are 2 new quests added to Act 3, one for each path.

Iorveth: You meet up with the Flotsam Alchemists and Cynthia again. If you choose to help them Geralt learns more about his past and more about the Wild Hunt. . The "reward" at the end of this one is ultimately useless game-wise but I thought it was really neat ( You get to magically spy for a bit on one character of your choosing, the right option is to obviously pick Dandelion)
Actually the real reward is boning Cynthia. Hell yeah :pervert:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Magical Zero posted:

Actually the real reward is boning Cynthia. Hell yeah :pervert:

The real award is unlocking the pimp achievements.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah, I was confused. I saw the tooltip say I had to meditate to use potions and was kicked back to Witcher 1 where you needed a fire or an inn. Since I clearly wasn't near an inn I assumed I needed a fire.

What is a good spec for someone just getting started? I hear alchemy is pretty good.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Lotish posted:

Yeah, I was confused. I saw the tooltip say I had to meditate to use potions and was kicked back to Witcher 1 where you needed a fire or an inn. Since I clearly wasn't near an inn I assumed I needed a fire.

What is a good spec for someone just getting started? I hear alchemy is pretty good.

All of the specs are good in their own ways; having extended potion timers is awesome, upgraded signs are awesome, and more swordfighting versatility is awesome.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Is it best to just go all down one tree over spreading things around for a bit of everything, or is a polymathic jack of all trades approach just as good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Lotish posted:

Is it best to just go all down one tree over spreading things around for a bit of everything, or is a polymathic jack of all trades approach just as good?

I'll say it again: there's no wrong way to spec your talents. You can't gimp yourself in this game, because every talent is useful. Go with whatever seems fun and most useful to your playstyle!

I'll repost this from the OP:

Coughing Hobo posted:

Oh god look at all of these talents I don't know where to put them
There's no real wrong way to distribute talents. All of them are useful to some degree. A good start is to cover the basics, what seems like the stuff you absolutely cannot fight without; from the Witcher tree, you'll want the ability to throw daggers and to block arrows. The talent that gives you faster Vigor regeneration is worth putting two points in, as it will give you +1 Vigor, which is invaluable early game. From the swordsman path, riposte and one point in dodge roll (personally, I like putting two points in dodge roll). From the alchemy path, grab the talent that increases bomb and potion strength, and from the mage/sign path, more Vigor and upgraded Quen and Aard. That'll give you a good baseline of power. From there, it's up to you. Again, there's no wrong way to distribute talents.

• Locked thread