Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

spog posted:

I don't think you are usually 'banned' from the country - more a case of being denied entry on that specific occasion. You would be able to reapply for a visa/entrance based on visa waiser again - possibly the same type of visa - though they obviously take into account your previous actions when considering that entrance.

But as randyest says, you need to know the reasons for their actions.

It was Visa-related (specifically the lack thereof), particular to that one instance; the reason itself is temporary, just considering the repercussions.

On the UKBA site there's a big ol' PDF detailing re-entry bans, when/how/why they're used, and I suppose some of them could reasonably be applied -- just curious if I could check anywhere to see if there has been a ban, or just the initial boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Centzon Totochtin posted:

mapping
There's an PDF here that shows a Venn diagram with an added rainbow-shaped portion to cover all permutations.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Travakian posted:

It was Visa-related (specifically the lack thereof), particular to that one instance; the reason itself is temporary, just considering the repercussions.

On the UKBA site there's a big ol' PDF detailing re-entry bans, when/how/why they're used, and I suppose some of them could reasonably be applied -- just curious if I could check anywhere to see if there has been a ban, or just the initial boot.

I guess that the only way is to apply for a visa at an embassy and see what the result is. Did you get a stamp in your passport or a letter of explanation?

quote:

Individuals may be the subject of a re-entry ban where they have previously breached the UK’s immigration laws by:
(a) Overstaying;
(b) breaching a condition attached to their leave;
(c) being an Illegal Entrant;
(d) using Deception in an application for entry clearance, leave to enter or remain (whether successful or not).

I don't think any of these apply to you unless you previously rolled up with a fake passport.

EDIT:

quote:

Refusal of leave to enter in relation to a person in possession of an entry clearance

321. A person seeking leave to enter the United Kingdom who holds an entry clearance which was duly issued to him and is still current may be refused leave to enter only where the Immigration Officer is satisfied that:

(i) False representations were made or false documents or information were submitted (whether or not material to the application, and whether or not to the holder's knowledge), or material facts were not disclosed, in relation to the application for entry clearance; or in order to obtain documents from the Secretary of State or a third party required in support of the application.

(ii) a change of circumstances since it was issued has removed the basis of the holder's claim to admission, except where the change of circumstances amounts solely to the person becoming over age for entry in one of the categories contained in paragraphs 296-316 of these Rules since the issue of the entry clearance; or

(iii) refusal is justified on grounds of restricted return ability; on medical grounds; on grounds of criminal record; because the person seeking leave to enter is the subject of a deportation order or because exclusion would be conducive to the public good.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/policyandlaw/immigrationlaw/immigrationrules/part9/

If you get your visa, you'll get in.

spog fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 23, 2012

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

So I need to make a graphical representation of the responses to a multiple-answer survey question where students can select multiple types of learning styles. Since there are 15 different combinations, it would be cumbersome to put it in chart. I initially thought that a Venn diagram would be great, but as I was building it, I realized that it would be impossible to show overlaps for two circles opposite each other.

For example, I can't have an overlap that only shows students who are textual and Auditory learners. If there were only 3 choices, a Venn diagram would work out perfectly, but since there are 4, I'm left with the rather inelegant choice of having large, intrusive (and arguably ugly) arrows to represent these overlaps. I've tried exploring other models, but when I can accurately represent all combinations of 2 choices, then I can't represent combinations of 3 very well.

I even explored a hexagonal model, but I won't even bother posting that monstrosity here. There has to be a better way to do this. Anyone have a good idea how?

You can wrap the sides. Take your first figure and add a dotted half-circle on the top part of "visual" and label it as "tactile n=16". Then put in numbers for the overlap. Do the same sort of thing at all other sides.

It'll also make more sense in color such that the redundant circles will match each other. However, if this is for a journal or similar publication, sometimes they charge you for color figures.

You could also go 3D and make two projections. Or just make a parallel figure where, say, tactile and auditory are swapped. Any method of separating this into two figures is going to suck, however.

You could just forget a Venn diagram altogether. Since the volumes for all of your circles are standardized, it's not that useful and might even be misleading. Make a bar chart with all the possibilities such as, "visual only," "visual and auditory," "visual, auditory and textual."

All of the options so far don't answer questions such as: "How many visual learners are there in total, including visual-only and all other combinations?" Therefore, you might consider including a chart with just 4 points. Texual learners in any combination would be n=49, for example.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

So I need to make a graphical representation of the responses to a multiple-answer survey question where students can select multiple types of learning styles. Since there are 15 different combinations, it would be cumbersome to put it in chart. I initially thought that a Venn diagram would be great, but as I was building it, I realized that it would be impossible to show overlaps for two circles opposite each other.

I would use a fourfold plot, but I'm not even close to an expert in data viz.

here's the data if anyone wants to take a shot:

code:
Textual	Visual	Auditory	Tactile	n
1	1	1	1	4
1	1	1	0	12
1	1	0	1	7
1	1	0	0	12
1	0	1	1	0
1	0	1	0	7
1	0	0	1	4
1	0	0	0	10
0	1	1	1	8
0	1	1	0	36
0	1	0	1	35
0	1	0	0	27
0	0	1	1	6
0	0	1	0	8
0	0	0	1	16

dokmo fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 23, 2012

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Thanks for all the help so far guys, you've given me a lot of interesting options. This is intended for a poster presentation that I'm helping a professor with. Here's the data if it'll help anyone. I'm definitely going to have totals for each category as well.

code:
Visual	                                141
Auditory	                        81
Tactile	                                80
Textual	                                90
Total (Repsonses)                       392

Visual only	                        27
Auditory Only	                        8
Tactile Only	                        16
Textual Only	                        10
Auditory and Tactile	                6
Auditory and Textual	                7
Auditory and Visual	                36
Auditory, Visual, and Tactile	        8
Auditory, Visual, and Textual	        12
Auditory, Visual, Tactile, and Textual	4
Visual and Tactile	                35
Visual, Tactile, and Textual          	7
Visual and Textual	                12
Tactile and Textual	                4
Total (Responders)                      192

Centzon Totochtin fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 23, 2012

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

I didn't fill in the numbers, but I did make a (crappy) plot with 16 distinct areas of overlap:

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

For example, I can't have an overlap that only shows students who are textual and Auditory learners. If there were only 3 choices, a Venn diagram would work out perfectly, but since there are 4, I'm left with the rather inelegant choice of having large, intrusive (and arguably ugly) arrows to represent these overlaps. I've tried exploring other models, but when I can accurately represent all combinations of 2 choices, then I can't represent combinations of 3 very well.

I even explored a hexagonal model, but I won't even bother posting that monstrosity here. There has to be a better way to do this. Anyone have a good idea how?
wikipedia has this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venn_diagram

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I didn't fill in the numbers, but I did make a (crappy) plot with 16 distinct areas of overlap:

:golfclap:

Womens Jeans
Sep 13, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm currently growing strawberries, tomato plants, peppers, and cucumbers indoors hydroponically with artificial lighting. I currently have the lighting for 12 hours on, 12 hours off. Does anyone know what happens if I alter this to constantly on 24 hours a day?

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Travakian posted:

Contact your local British consulate. Here is a listing of British consulates around the world.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Thanks for all the help so far guys, you've given me a lot of interesting options. This is intended for a poster presentation that I'm helping a professor with.

If the n is important to the presentation, you should stay away from venn-type plots.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
What is the FYAD subforum Twisty? I can't find it in the SAclopedia. It looks like FYAD, so what is the difference?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Womens Jeans posted:

I'm currently growing strawberries, tomato plants, peppers, and cucumbers indoors hydroponically with artificial lighting. I currently have the lighting for 12 hours on, 12 hours off. Does anyone know what happens if I alter this to constantly on 24 hours a day?
They will grow faster and consume more nutrients. Note that some plant types won't flower/bear fruit until the cycle is reduced to something closer to 12 on / 12 off for a bit.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Spog, Meat Recital-- thanks.

Boneitis
Jul 14, 2010
Does anyone know if any good literature was published about the alternate realities in which the South might've won the Civil War? I saw the one photoshop in the GBS thread, and that got me to thinking that that would be a fairly interesting topic

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Boneitis posted:

Does anyone know if any good literature was published about the alternate realities in which the South might've won the Civil War? I saw the one photoshop in the GBS thread, and that got me to thinking that that would be a fairly interesting topic

My dad has like a hundred of these, most of them by harry turtledove. Are they any good? I can't honestly say since he just reads anything civil war related, but hey, they're definitely out there.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
http://www.6pm.com/stacy-adams-dress-shirt-cufflink-tie-box-set-white-w-black-dots

I want to order this shirt, but I don't understand the sizing at all. Is the first number the neck size? Because holy poo poo I can't buy a shirt with a size 19 neck.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Aggro posted:

http://www.6pm.com/stacy-adams-dress-shirt-cufflink-tie-box-set-white-w-black-dots

I want to order this shirt, but I don't understand the sizing at all. Is the first number the neck size? Because holy poo poo I can't buy a shirt with a size 19 neck.
Yes. And the second 2 numbers is the range of sleeve length. Stacey Adams makes a lot of fat guy clothes. Probably part of the reason it's on clearance.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Womens Jeans posted:

Have you ever seen The Little Shop of Horrors?

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Womens Jeans posted:

I took part in a rocket growing competition when I was a kid. I put my rocket under a light 24/7. It grew to be the tallest and I won the competition, but the second I took it out from under the light, it wilted and couldn't support itself anymore.

I would guess that kind of constant activity is sort of knackering for a plant.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

My collared shirts mostly have button holes that are vertical slits. A couple of them have the very bottom one as a horizontal slit - does anyone know the rationale for this?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

marshmallard posted:

I took part in a rocket growing competition when I was a kid. I put my rocket under a light 24/7. It grew to be the tallest and I won the competition, but the second I took it out from under the light, it wilted and couldn't support itself anymore.

I would guess that kind of constant activity is sort of knackering for a plant.

You could eat 10,000 calories a day and grow really huge, but if you cut back down to 1800, you'd start getting really small pretty quickly.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Boneitis posted:

It isn't a book but I highly recommend you check out the movie "Confederate States of America."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0389828/

"Set in an contemporary alternative world where the Confederate States of America managed to win the American Civil War, a British film documentary examines the history of this nation. Beginning with its conquest of the northern states, the film covers the history of this state where racial enslavement became triumphant and the nation carried sinister designs of conquest. Interspersed throughout are various TV commercials of products of a virulent racist nature as well as public service announcements promoting this tyranny. Only at the end do you learn that there is less wholly imagined material in the film than you might suspect."

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Anjow posted:

My collared shirts mostly have button holes that are vertical slits. A couple of them have the very bottom one as a horizontal slit - does anyone know the rationale for this?

Horizontal slit gives a lot less chance for it to pop out and come undone but then vertical slit looks better. So the bottom is still horizontal for the strength but then its tucked in so you dont see it.

This is at least what I read.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Hulu changed their video screen dimension size to something that's huge and takes up a lot of my computer screen. Is there a way to shrink it down? I like to do other things as I watch my soaps. Control and - doesn't work and the size stays the same.

Titan Coeus
Jul 30, 2007

check out my horn

Wedemeyer posted:

Hulu changed their video screen dimension size to something that's huge and takes up a lot of my computer screen. Is there a way to shrink it down? I like to do other things as I watch my soaps. Control and - doesn't work and the size stays the same.

Use the "Pop-out player". Below the video there will be a button that says "options", clicking it will reveal the "Pop-out player" link, which you can resize how you wish.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

I spoke with my professor and he seems to really like this one. Did you find this anywhere in particular, or is there a site where I can generate and edit it?

IratelyBlank
Dec 2, 2004
The only easy day was yesterday
What does the president have to pay for personally? I remember hearing on NPR that Obama has to watch his finances because the secret service makes him rent out an entire estate when he wants to go on vacation instead of just a villa or house because they want to be able to protect it and he needs to pay for this personally. I tried googling around and looking on the White House website but I couldn't find any sources except for forums posts and Yahoo answers type things.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I'm one of the last people still using Hotmail, and I want out. The thing is, a while back I used Gmail to import my Hotmail account, but it doesn't seem to be working right. I went into Settings -> Accounts and Import, and I did the import. It took a while (like it's supposed to), it said it was done - and it was. It imported all my hotmail emails to a new folder. But since then it's stopped bringing my Hotmail emails in, despite it saying "new messages will be forwarded as they arrive." Have I missed a step somewhere? That "stop" option at the far right leads me to believe it's still importing, but it's clearly not. I thought maybe everything was getting routed to an un-obvious folder in Gmail, but I searched and nothing's there.

Fists Up posted:

Horizontal slit gives a lot less chance for it to pop out and come undone but then vertical slit looks better. So the bottom is still horizontal for the strength but then its tucked in so you dont see it.
Cool, I've been noticing this too lately, it's a fairly new thing (at least with the cheap shirts I wear).

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

I spoke with my professor and he seems to really like this one. Did you find this anywhere in particular, or is there a site where I can generate and edit it?
I made it with Inkscape. Here's the svg.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
I added colors :colbert:

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 24, 2012

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Also, the shape was in the pdf by Myers you posted earlier, who attributes it to Venn.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
I added colors :colbert:

Whoops, I already made one on Creately! Thanks though, it was really helpful, and I really liked your color scheme too. I actually spent a good couple of minutes recreating it.

Here's the finished product:

Normally, I'd want various shades of red and maroon (school colors) but this time I'll gladly make an exception (and it helps with differentiating the ovals as well).

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

jackpot posted:

I'm one of the last people still using Hotmail, and I want out. The thing is, a while back I used Gmail to import my Hotmail account, but it doesn't seem to be working right. I went into Settings -> Accounts and Import, and I did the import. It took a while (like it's supposed to), it said it was done - and it was. It imported all my hotmail emails to a new folder. But since then it's stopped bringing my Hotmail emails in, despite it saying "new messages will be forwarded as they arrive." Have I missed a step somewhere? That "stop" option at the far right leads me to believe it's still importing, but it's clearly not. I thought maybe everything was getting routed to an un-obvious folder in Gmail, but I searched and nothing's there.

I have to imagine this is a one time import. When Google said "new messages will be forwarded" they meant while the import is active new e-mail will be picked up. However, you can have GMail check your Hotmail account as a POP3 account and pull the messages in. There will be lag for Google to check your Hotmail account but it works just fine.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

IratelyBlank posted:

What does the president have to pay for personally? I remember hearing on NPR that Obama has to watch his finances because the secret service makes him rent out an entire estate when he wants to go on vacation instead of just a villa or house because they want to be able to protect it and he needs to pay for this personally. I tried googling around and looking on the White House website but I couldn't find any sources except for forums posts and Yahoo answers type things.

I heard that too. I think it was in an interview with the author of this book so if you're interested I would recommend reading it. I know she did tons of interviews with aides (and a very short one with Obama) so her sources are solid probably.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
I set up a container with some water plants, but now it's full of mosquito larvae, so I want to put something in it that will eat them but also not die. This is in NC, so temperatures usually bottom out at 60 F but can occasionally go to ~40 F. Would minnows be a good idea?

VigilanteVixen
Apr 21, 2012
I was thinking of making a new "ask" thread, but I don't know if anyone would be interested.
I'm visually impaired to the point where I need a guide dog to get around. Is this the kind of thing you'd be curious about?
I'm willing to answer any questions at all.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

OneEightHundred posted:

I set up a container with some water plants, but now it's full of mosquito larvae, so I want to put something in it that will eat them but also not die. This is in NC, so temperatures usually bottom out at 60 F but can occasionally go to ~40 F. Would minnows be a good idea?

Would something like this that you put in the water to kill the larvae work?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

VigilanteVixen posted:

I was thinking of making a new "ask" thread, but I don't know if anyone would be interested.
I'm visually impaired to the point where I need a guide dog to get around. Is this the kind of thing you'd be curious about?
I'm willing to answer any questions at all.

Go for it.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I saw a show while traveling abroad that I don't know the name of. It featured a detective who lived in a brownstone, narrated from the POV of his manservant. A specific plotline i remember is when someone died and the detective left his house (a rare occurance) to try and hire the guy's tulip gardener and ends up solving some crime. It was set around the 1920's in America. Anyone know the name or can point me to a more specific 'what show is this' thread? Scanned TVIV and didn't see anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

JawnV6 posted:

I saw a show while traveling abroad that I don't know the name of. It featured a detective who lived in a brownstone, narrated from the POV of his manservant. A specific plotline i remember is when someone died and the detective left his house (a rare occurance) to try and hire the guy's tulip gardener and ends up solving some crime. It was set around the 1920's in America. Anyone know the name or can point me to a more specific 'what show is this' thread? Scanned TVIV and didn't see anything.

Sounds like Nero Wolfe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nero_Wolfe