Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

ThermoPhysical posted:

I've used Astrid, GTasks, Agenda Widget, and Any.DO. Out of those, I'd say that Tasks looks the best and performs the best for me on my phone.

For me, the features in the other apps just got in the way as I never used them. Would I want Google to pay more attention to Tasks and add more to it like Last-in-Line said? I wouldn't mind that but, for right now, Tasks is perfect for what I need which is a simple to-do list with nothing added in like a grocery list or something(even though I do use Out of Milk for groceries as it has more features that revolve around groceries).

Thanks for responding.

This looks really good, so I'll probably pick it up the full version for $.99. My main problem with the other 'Tasks' programs were the widgets, and how they didn't really blend with ICS. However, with this one, it's clean as poo poo, and really looks nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
In case you haven't heard, Google announced Google Drive today, as suspected.

5GB for free, with varying prices levels for more storage, and obviously there's an Android app.

Benefits include not only searching file names, but file contents.

quote:

if you scan in a newspaper clipping, a simple Search All within Drive will allow results to appear directly from said clipping. If you upload a shot of the Eiffel Tower, it'll show up whenever you search for the aforesaid icon. Moreover, Drive will allow folks to open over 30 types of documents directly from a web browser, including HD video, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop and more -- "even without the software installed on your computer."

So long, Dropbox! See you in Hell!

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

DrBouvenstein posted:

In case you haven't heard, Google announced Google Drive today, as suspected.

5GB for free, with varying prices levels for more storage, and obviously there's an Android app.

Benefits include not only searching file names, but file contents.

So long, Dropbox! See you in Hell!

Drive just replaces Docs. When I open it, it tells me that my drive isn't ready yet.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Drive just replaces Docs. When I open it, it tells me that my drive isn't ready yet.

Try this http://drive.google.com/start#utm_medium=blog&utm_source=ogb&utm_campaign=dl

It should say Get Started or something along those lines.

It could just be rolling out slowly though.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

KoB posted:

I think that's it...some users have access, some don't...I'm getting the same "We'll email you when your Google Drive is ready!" message, both in-app and on the website.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
How does Drive work with other files besides Docs? Things like my TrueCrypt volume, etc.

That'd be awesome if I could get access to it on my phone.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Wonder if it's going to be as much of a nice-looking but surprisingly crappy and underloved/developed "Cloud storage? Oh, me too!" as Google Music has been?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

KoB posted:

Try this http://drive.google.com/start#utm_medium=blog&utm_source=ogb&utm_campaign=dl

It should say Get Started or something along those lines.

I had a "get started" button on my phone and it told me it wasn't ready. I went to the site and clicked it and now it's working fine. Thanks!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Whoever it was that talked up Browsertexting: I don't need it very often but holy poo poo is it ever the perfect thing when I do need it. Thanks for the heads-up!

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK
Not sure if this was answered before, but is there a way to use the SA emotes with GO SMS instead of the default ones?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Facebook is driving me nuts with its GPS polling and multiple app drawer icons so I've decided to go back to just using the website. The trouble is it just doesn't seem to be working like it used to so I'm stuck with these bad choices:
m.facebook.com through the stock browser - loads the dumbphone site
m.facebook.com or touch.facebook. com through Chrome - loads the smartphone site but won't let me upload photos
touch.facebook.com through the stock browser - XML parsing error
touch.facebook.com through the stock browser with 'Request desktop site' checked - works fine but its inconvinient checking that box every time

Am I missing something or are they actively trying to drive me nuts?

GSM Nexus S with stock 4.0.4

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Splizwarf posted:

Wonder if it's going to be as much of a nice-looking but surprisingly crappy and underloved/developed "Cloud storage? Oh, me too!" as Google Music has been?

Google Music is crappy?

Trent Lott in 08
Oct 16, 2003

Burn the village, rape & pillage.
The gtasks app is showing up for $4.99 when I view it in the play store, am I supposed to make an in-app purchase or something?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Glimm posted:

Google Music is crappy?

Yes.
Inconsistent "back" button behaviour, annoying tendency to try and group all of my local sounds (ringtones, etc) in with my music library, awful music organization (oh hay! I click indie artist #5 from my collection, and it takes me to "unknown album" where literally every song by every other indie artist is and now I can't find that song that I wanted because I only remembered the artist name), saving offline music with a worthless filename and stripped tags, inability to delete music from the cloud in-app and a website that doesn't work on mobile browsers, and oh god i could go on.

But I like streaming from the cloud.

Incidentally, are there any other music apps that can stream from Google Music?

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

ante posted:

Yes.
Inconsistent "back" button behaviour, annoying tendency to try and group all of my local sounds (ringtones, etc) in with my music library, awful music organization (oh hay! I click indie artist #5 from my collection, and it takes me to "unknown album" where literally every song by every other indie artist is and now I can't find that song that I wanted because I only remembered the artist name), saving offline music with a worthless filename and stripped tags, inability to delete music from the cloud in-app and a website that doesn't work on mobile browsers, and oh god i could go on.

Sounds mostly like your music isn't tagged well?

I agree the offline saving is annoying. I didn't realize streaming from the browser sucks (works well in Safari on the iPad).

There is an app called Gmusic sniper that apparently allows you to play your offline stored songs in other players. I haven't tried it though.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ante posted:

Inconsistent "back" button behaviour,
Never noticed this.

ante posted:

annoying tendency to try and group all of my local sounds (ringtones, etc) in with my music library,
Also have never seen this. Are you putting your local sounds in the right places?

ante posted:

awful music organization (oh hay! I click indie artist #5 from my collection, and it takes me to "unknown album" where literally every song by every other indie artist is and now I can't find that song that I wanted because I only remembered the artist name),
This is certainly true.

ante posted:

saving offline music with a worthless filename and stripped tags,
I understand why it does this but yeah, it sucks that it does.

ante posted:

inability to delete music from the cloud in-app and a website that doesn't work on mobile browsers,
True enough, though a minor nit.

ante posted:

and oh god i could go on.
I agree it could be a lot better.

ante posted:

Not that I know of.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Am I missing something painfully obvious, or is it not possible to compose a text longer than 160 characters in the stock messaging app? Galaxy nexus on Sprint.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
inconsistent back button behaviour is an Android problem not a Google Music problem.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

dissss posted:

Facebook is driving me nuts with its GPS polling and multiple app drawer icons so I've decided to go back to just using the website. The trouble is it just doesn't seem to be working like it used to so I'm stuck with these bad choices:
m.facebook.com through the stock browser - loads the dumbphone site
m.facebook.com or touch.facebook. com through Chrome - loads the smartphone site but won't let me upload photos
touch.facebook.com through the stock browser - XML parsing error
touch.facebook.com through the stock browser with 'Request desktop site' checked - works fine but its inconvinient checking that box every time

Am I missing something or are they actively trying to drive me nuts?

GSM Nexus S with stock 4.0.4

Are you sure you have the latest update? You mention GPS polling and if you're talking about the GPS the shot off whenever you opened up the app and checked your news feed they got rid of that in the last update.

But you also mention the multiple app drawer icons which were also in the same update so yeah...that's a little weird :confused:

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Eh, I tracked down the weird gps problems I've been having and it turns out that it was a setting in Tasker for a locational context that was causing abnormal GPS polling and not the facebook app oddly enough

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Are you sure you have the latest update? You mention GPS polling and if you're talking about the GPS the shot off whenever you opened up the app and checked your news feed they got rid of that in the last update.

But you also mention the multiple app drawer icons which were also in the same update so yeah...that's a little weird :confused:

I've also been seeing GPS polling when I open the newer Facebook app, despite telling it not to get a location for messaging.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I'm running the latest Facebook app as well, and it still polls the GPS when I load the news feed for me as well. But it doesn't *always* do it, which is a little weird. But still totally annoying.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Eh, I tracked down the weird gps problems I've been having and it turns out that it was a setting in Tasker for a locational context that was causing abnormal GPS polling and not the facebook app oddly enough

I'm also running Tasker. What specific setting are you referring to?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I still have the GPS polling every time I open the app as of the latest version

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

brc64 posted:

I'm also running Tasker. What specific setting are you referring to?

If you have any context set to a location, when specifying what service you use to track your location, if you enable gps it will poll your location until it either times out or gets lock every 10- 15 minutes since the last attempt

In a building, lock might never occur

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

My SNESdroid doesn't want to work right when I use an HDMI cable with my Samsung Galaxy S II (Rooted Gingerbread, build UVKL1, haven't installed a custom ROM yet so it's still the stock T-Mobile thing). It feels like it's running at half speed; the video and audio stutters to the point that nothing is playable unless I unplug the HDMI cable. If I use the fast-forward feature then the audio sounds normal, but the graphics stutter even worse. It feels like a processing issue, but shouldn't my phone be able to handle this?

Everything else works great over HDMI, and I don't have any emulation problems normally. It's upsetting since I've read about others who can play their SNES games over HDMI, with bluebooth controllers even, but I can't for some reason :(

Any ideas? I tried clearing the RAM via Task Manager, which opened up an extra 200MB but that didn't seem to help

So I tried using the other SNES emulator in the play store (SuperGNES Lite) and HDMI output works perfectly so I guess it's an issue with SNESdroid, possibly a setting somewhere that I need to fix?

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I wouldn't think the devs for SNESdroid had HDMI in mind when they wrote the app. I would venture to say that HDMI output really isn't optimized specifically for any app just yet. I could be wrong. Either way my point is that you're right, it's probably not a processor issue because it works fine with another program, so it's probably just the app and luck of the draw. You can look around in settings, but I don't think there's an option that would 'fix' anything like that.

On a related note, what kind of bluetooth controller are you using? I used a Wiimote for a while, but then I saw how advanced sixaxis controller pairing is and I was sold. Grab your PS3 controller if you have one, buy one if you don't, and go to their website to get the pairing tool so you can set the bluetooth pairing ID to pair with your phone, and you're set. Get the compatibility checker app first though. It does calibration and mapping really, really well. It has options for using your controller as a mouse and touch emulation so that you can map the touch-control button overlay in these emulators to buttons on the controller very easily.

Onto a completely different matter. I don't mean to bring up the undying debate about software keyboards, all the choices therein, and hardware keyboards again. But the BlackBerry commercial with the woman saying, "I get about 1,000 emails a day. Try replying to 1,000 emails on a touch screen" really threw me. Someone breaks down the credibility of the statement here, but even if that were possible, any/all hyperbole aside - I wouldn't want to try writing even 50 emails a day on a keyboard where I have to press each individual key on a mobile device. Nothing beats a real, full size, PC keyboard. We all type our fastest on that and if we ever had to write 100s of emails a day I think we'd all prefer using a full keyboard. But if I couldn't, my next choice would easily be Swype.

Let's face it, typing each individual key on a mobile is inaccurate, it sucks and is annoying at best. The only think BlackBerry holds over software keyboards is that it's easier to type each individual key on a hardware keyboard. But when Swype comes into the equation, that pretty much solves the issue. The issue being, mobile keys are small, so typing is more difficult and as a result slower. Swype doesn't make keys bigger or easier to find/press, but it allows you to be less accurate. You still need to be somewhat accurate on the first and last letter, and make some kind of sense in between, but other than that Swype handles inaccuracies better than any keyboard out there. Once you get past the learning curve and learn the quirks in Swype, it really can be the fastest way to type on a mobile device.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Facebook App - I uninstalled it. A few updates ago, it turned from this decent app to this huge slow beast, and now with the force install of the camera thing, the messenger, and the GPS usage, it is just too much bloat. Sure I lose direct photo uploading ability, but there are plenty of other apps that will do this. I just use the touch.facebook.com site now, which works great for reading status updates.

Google Drive - I'm just happy that the app works for docs, even though the drive isn't ready yet.

Google Play Music - I just started messing with this today, and I must say I am disappointed. I wish they would integrate it with Google Listen and combine their useful features. For example, I ride a train in to work. I opened up Google Play Music and started streaming a file I had uploaded from my home computer. It played fine, and I could see that I had about 30 minutes buffered out ahead of where I was at in the file.

I went into a tunnel and lost cell service, and the audio stopped. It told me I had to be online to listen. This is bullshit because of all the buffer time I had downloaded while in service. When I left the tunnel, I tried to hit play again, but Play Music had lost my place in the file and began again from the beginning.

I feel it should cache as much of the file as possible, and continue through loss of service. Google Listen does this with podcasts. I don't see why Google needs two separate apps for podcasts and cloud audio.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

I went into a tunnel and lost cell service, and the audio stopped. It told me I had to be online to listen. This is bullshit because of all the buffer time I had downloaded while in service. When I left the tunnel, I tried to hit play again, but Play Music had lost my place in the file and began again from the beginning.

I feel it should cache as much of the file as possible, and continue through loss of service. Google Listen does this with podcasts. I don't see why Google needs two separate apps for podcasts and cloud audio.

Google Listen is essentially abandonware at this point. It was someone's 20% project and one way or another they're no longer working on it.

I'm pretty sure the original 'Listen' code made its way into Google TV under the 'Podcasts' app, but it's not updated for anything other than GTV (and even then I think most of the updates may have been done by an intern).

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

FogHelmut posted:

Google Play Music - I just started messing with this today, and I must say I am disappointed. I wish they would integrate it with Google Listen and combine their useful features. For example, I ride a train in to work. I opened up Google Play Music and started streaming a file I had uploaded from my home computer. It played fine, and I could see that I had about 30 minutes buffered out ahead of where I was at in the file.

It will play 'pinned' files without service.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Glimm posted:

Google Listen is essentially abandonware at this point. It was someone's 20% project and one way or another they're no longer working on it.

I'm pretty sure the original 'Listen' code made its way into Google TV under the 'Podcasts' app, but it's not updated for anything other than GTV (and even then I think most of the updates may have been done by an intern).

That's odd because I tried several podcast apps and Google Listen was the best one in terms of being free, straightforward to use, and not huge and bloated.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

That's odd because I tried several podcast apps and Google Listen was the best one in terms of being free, straightforward to use, and not huge and bloated.

Trust me on this. Google Listen is a piece of poo poo. It's a disgrace that the developer is even listed as "Google" because it implies a level of polish that this app does not have.

There are many other better podcast apps in the Play store.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Jensen posted:

It's a disgrace that the developer is even listed as "Google" because it implies a level of polish that this app does not have.

Ha, wow, that's gotta be pretty bad. Because "Google" implies a pretty lovely level of polish.

Jensen posted:

the Play store.

See? Good example, right there.

Also:

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

I stopped using swype because it always was getting words wrong. Then instead of showing me similar words, it would show a word similar to what I wanted and then a bunch of random words that maybe could use letters sort of near where I swyped. It got to the point where I'd need to type things out manually, and what's the point of swype if I'm typing. I switched to SwiftKeyX and it predicts just fine and haven't had many problems with it.

I used to get mad at swype for getting things wrong, but then I realized I have gotten lazier and lazier in paying attention to what letters i'm swyping. I got used to it just 'knowing' what the hell i meant when i would randomly move my thumb across the keyboard.

Regardless, there's no loving excuse for "Arty" being in the dictionary. What the gently caress.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Facebook is going to start releasing their own apps and you'll only be able to use them if you have the main app installed.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Jensen posted:

Trust me on this. Google Listen is a piece of poo poo. It's a disgrace that the developer is even listed as "Google" because it implies a level of polish that this app does not have.

Tell me about it...I would constantly have the problem of Listen just *stop* playing a podcast...no reason whatsoever. It was with 100% downloaded podcasts, I wouldn't be doing anything with the phone, but BAM, playback stopped. It tended to occur ~25-25 minutes into a podcast, and then again ~55-65 minutes into it if it went that long.

The worst part was, if I went back into Listen and hit 'play', there was a good chance that it would actually be on some other podcast. This would happen if the one I was listening to wasn't the first one in my queue. So then I'd have to go back to my list of podcasts, chose the one i was listening to, hit play, and find my place again.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I get all :smug: about my Subsonic experience every time I see you guys talking about google music.

It caches as normally named mp3s files in sdcard/subsonic and inside there the mp3s are in directories that follow your dir structure at home. Its cache can be as big or small as you want, pre-cache as many songs as you want, plays perfect offline. Server will reencode on the fly so if you're getting lovely service or playing through an fm-mod like me, you can request 128k mp3s, Works with hw headset buttons, cm lockscreen buttons and cm&aokp long press vol.

I have a giant collection of torrented public domain workplace safety videos in a mix of xvid ogm mkv mp4 at home that it will play in a browser (pc or andrdoid) in a youtube like flash player.

Only thing is you have to run the server yourself. And the windows one isn't that great last I tried. (more than a year ago) I'm linux. Features were all there on windows it just would memory leak and slow the machine down lots. Dedicate an old xp machine to it if you don't do linux and you should be fine. Linux one runs fine in a 384mb ram vm if you do linux vms.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 25, 2012

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
The subsonic app is an ugly, messy pile of poo poo and it uses up your own bandwidth so I don't really see how it's much of a win. There are quality options in Google Music too if your service isn't as great, and GM allows you to cache as much as you want too, you just select the songs/albums you want saved.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Look at all you quaint non-subscription music users.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Can someone briefly explain how icons work? I wanna replace the colourful icons on the little bar at the bottom of my Sense 4 homescreen with something more minimalistic. What's the best way? I'd rather not use a different launcher. Googling 'sense 4 icons' hasn't really helped.

I found this cool app that lets you make text icons, but Sense won't let me drag them onto the bar at the bottom (because they are too big I guess).

edit: never mind, I can drag my little simple text shortcuts now.

fuf fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 25, 2012

• Locked thread